PDA

View Full Version : How Many Times Were You Sunburned As A Child?

Donger
06-05-2006, 11:52 AM
And, I don't mean a little pink. I'm talking full-on peeling and blisters?

I ask because I don't think that my kids will EVER have sunburn as long as my wife's in control. She slathers them with so much sunscreen. I suppose that's a good thing, but the evil part of me thinks that it's a good thing to learn limits. What happens when they're older and think they are impervious to Sol's rays?

StcChief
06-05-2006, 11:53 AM
1 - red/blister peel...Learned the hardway

Donger
06-05-2006, 11:54 AM
1 - red/blister peel...Learned the hardway

Only one time? How old are you?

morphius
06-05-2006, 11:55 AM
don't think I ever had blisters. Shoulder burnt once a year and peeled, that was it. A little uncomfortable for a few days, but never horrible.

StcChief
06-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Only one time? How old are you?

One really,really bad one with Blisters, couldn't sleep lay on my back.

Yearly regular red, skin peeler. face chest,back.

Rain Man
06-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Man oh man. I was either raised in the era before sunscreen, or my parents didn't know about it. Either way, I got sunburned a lot, and sunburned badly. I have skin that roasts on contact.

The bummer was that I got some horrific burns - huge, weeping blisters and other such things - and always lots of peeling skin, so I knew the downside of being in the sun. But being a kid, I had trouble not playing football with my cousins or going out riding in the boat because the sun was too bright. So I'd go play, or my parents would take me out to the lake or whatever, and then I'd be in agony for the next week.

It was a miserable situation all around, and now I have to get checked for skin cancer every doctor's visit because I already had to have a chunk taken out of my neck because of it.

Sunscreen is a good thing.

bogie
06-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Never blistered that I can remember, but I lived at the pool and unfortunately burned and peeled every summer. We cake sunscreen on my eight year old. I think it's a good idea. She likes to skinny dip in our pool and we didn't sunscreen her ass once. She learned the value of sunscreen. Does anyone remember mixing baby oil and I think it was iodine when tanning? Wow.

Calcountry
06-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Double header day game at the Coliseum with shorts on.

That part above the knee and the knee cap were so burned, that I had difficulty walking for 3 days.

Rain Man
06-05-2006, 12:03 PM
I should note that I actually kind of got into the feel of the peeling skin, in a masochistic kind of way. I would try to see how big a piece I could pull off in one piece. The bummer, though, was when you'd be pulling on it and getting a big piece off, and then all of a sudden you run into live skin.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-05-2006, 12:03 PM
child? I had too many after too many beers

Predarat
06-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Usually I would burn once a summer, early in the summer, then I would tan and it wouldnt be a problem.

StcChief
Never blistered that I can remember, but I lived at the pool and unfortunately burned and peeled every summer. We cake sunscreen on my eight year old. I think it's a good idea. She likes to skinny dip in our pool and we didn't sunscreen her ass once. She learned the value of sunscreen. Does anyone remember mixing baby oil and I think it was iodine when tanning? Wow.Never used oil.

but naturally turned Brown as bear, Yellow hair from pool chlorine

Donger
Man oh man. I was either raised in the era before sunscreen, or my parents didn't know about it. Either way, I got sunburned a lot, and sunburned badly. I have skin that roasts on contact.

The bummer was that I got some horrific burns - huge, weeping blisters and other such things - and always lots of peeling skin, so I knew the downside of being in the sun. But being a kid, I had trouble not playing football with my cousins or going out riding in the boat because the sun was too bright. So I'd go play, or my parents would take me out to the lake or whatever, and then I'd be in agony for the next week.

It was a miserable situation all around, and now I have to get checked for skin cancer every doctor's visit because I already had to have a chunk taken out of my neck because of it.

Sunscreen is a good thing.

Yikes. I was never that bad, but I've probably blistered a good dozen times in my life. I suppose it's a good thing that she covers them up but I just wonder if she/we have taken protecting our kids too far. For instance, bike helmets. My kids now insist on wearing one, even the girl who won't ride her tricycle without one. If I had had a bike helmet growing up, I would have done far crazier stuff than I actually did. You know, because I was safe.

I did a bunch of yard work yesterday and got a little red. Not a bad burn, but you'd think that they had seen the Devil by the way they looked at me this morning.

Donger
06-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Never blistered that I can remember, but I lived at the pool and unfortunately burned and peeled every summer. We cake sunscreen on my eight year old. I think it's a good idea. She likes to skinny dip in our pool and we didn't sunscreen her ass once. She learned the value of sunscreen. Does anyone remember mixing baby oil and I think it was iodine when tanning? Wow.

Yep. I remember putting Crisco on once.

bogie
06-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Never used oil.

but naturally turned Brown as bear, Yellow hair from pool chlorine

I'm fairly dark complected as well. We used to haul hay without our shirts and would burn, peel and then just turn brown.

Rain Man
06-05-2006, 12:09 PM
I did a bunch of yard work yesterday and got a little red. Not a bad burn, but you'd think that they had seen the Devil by the way they looked at me this morning.

I think the only value in letting them get a little burned now would be so they can understand their tolerance level. You'd hate for them to go down to Mexico on spring break in college and get so sunburned that they can't participate in the perverted rituals. Even so, I'd think they'll figure it out as teenagers better than as small children.

StcChief
06-05-2006, 12:10 PM
I think the only value in letting them get a little burned now would be so they can understand their tolerance level. You'd hate for them to go down to Mexico on spring break in college and get so sunburned that they can't participate in the perverted rituals. Even so, I'd think they'll figure it out as teenagers better than as small children.Learned my bad burn about 11-12.....running all day outside.

RockChalk
06-05-2006, 12:11 PM
I once went to Lake Quivira to swim in the lake with some friends of my family. I didn't put any sunscreen on my back and ended up with skin looking like it'd been melted. I had some of the nastiest blister and I remember that first night, my dad told me he was going to spray it with some stuff that would cool it off. I said sounds great and it turned out to be Lanocaine (sp?). I ran around the house for about 5 minutes in some of the most pain I've ever been in. The burn caused me to miss some baseball games, which pissed me off more than that pain the burn caused.

bogie
06-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Yikes. I was never that bad, but I've probably blistered a good dozen times in my life. I suppose it's a good thing that she covers them up but I just wonder if she/we have taken protecting our kids too far. For instance, bike helmets. My kids now insist on wearing one, even the girl who won't ride her tricycle without one. If I had had a bike helmet growing up, I would have done far crazier stuff than I actually did. You know, because I was safe.

If I had worn a bike helmet when I was a kid, people would have thought I was a "special" kid. My 8 year old won't go on her bike without her helmet. Better safe than sorry I guess.

bsp4444
06-05-2006, 12:12 PM
I remember when I realized I was going bald. I was raking hay without a hat on, like I always did before, but that night I could not put my head down on a pillow. It peeled and now I wear a hat out all of the time.

sedated
06-05-2006, 12:13 PM
I used to burn all the time as a kid. It comes with being one shade away from albino.

I used to blister and peel so bad on my neck and shoulders that my shirt would rest on top of the peeling skin.

now I just hide in my basement until summer is over.

(and when I say "my" basement, I mean my "parent's" basement)

ChiefsOne
06-05-2006, 12:16 PM
Red hair and blue eyes does not make for good skin pigment. I have been burned and blistered more times than I can count.

bogie
06-05-2006, 12:16 PM
I remember we had family friends visiting and they had a very, very cute girl that was a little older than me and I had a huge crush on her. We all went swimming and she got a bad burn. My mom put vinegar on her to cool the burn. Now, everytime I smell vinegar, I think of her.

Donger
06-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Even so, I'd think they'll figure it out as teenagers better than as small children.

Granted, although I won't be able to torture them as much if I wait until then.

Donger
06-05-2006, 12:19 PM
I remember we had family friends visiting and they had a very, very cute girl that was a little older than me and I had a huge crush on her. We all went swimming and she got a bad burn. My mom put vinegar on her to cool the burn. Now, everytime I smell vinegar, I think of her.

I must admit, I've always found tan lines on the ladies to be very pleasing.

bogie
06-05-2006, 12:21 PM
I must admit, I've always found tan lines on the ladies to be very pleasing.

Me too.

KC Jones
06-05-2006, 12:25 PM

How long have you been married - you shold know by now your wife is right and your wrong. The topic doesn't really matter ;)

These are just common sense approaches to mitigate known dangers/risks. There's a common triage of injuries from bicycle accidents: 1) car hits kid's body/bike, 2) kids head slams against car hood, 3) kid is thrown head first onto the asphault. The general result is either death or severe brain damage. Sure, the car could be moving so fast the kid is dead from the sheer impact, but most of the accidents the car is trying to stop in time and just can't make it. As for the sunscreen, it's well known and recorded that incidents of skin cancer in later life is strongly correlated with bad burns in childhood. When your kids are older they'll probably be so used to using sunscreen they won't dare go out without it. On the other hand if they do get burned later in life, it won't be as likely to lead to skin cancer.

Donger
06-05-2006, 12:29 PM
How long have you been married - you shold know by now your wife is right and your wrong. The topic doesn't really matter ;)

These are just common sense approaches to mitigate known dangers/risks. There's a common triage of injuries from bicycle accidents: 1) car hits kid's body/bike, 2) kids head slams against car hood, 3) kid is thrown head first onto the asphault. The general result is either death or severe brain damage. Sure, the car could be moving so fast the kid is dead from the sheer impact, but most of the accidents the car is trying to stop in time and just can't make it. As for the sunscreen, it's well known and recorded that incidents of skin cancer in later life is strongly correlated with bad burns in childhood. When your kids are older they'll probably be so used to using sunscreen they won't dare go out without it. On the other hand if they do get burned later in life, it won't be as likely to lead to skin cancer.

Approaching our sixth anniversary. I've known her, however, for 12 years.

I know she's just doing what's best. It's just interesting how times have changed. I don't recall my mother EVER putting sunscreen on us growing up. She basically taught us self-reliance. This is the same woman, mind you, that made us swim in the f*cking English Channel when the water temperature was 50F.

StcChief
06-05-2006, 12:30 PM

That's been my concern when I first heard it.

I Really focused on not letting that happen to my kid.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-05-2006, 12:35 PM
about 15 times. one bad one per summer.

KC Jones
06-05-2006, 12:52 PM

I know she's just doing what's best. It's just interesting how times have changed. I don't recall my mother EVER putting sunscreen on us growing up. She basically taught us self-reliance. This is the same woman, mind you, that made us swim in the f*cking English Channel when the water temperature was 50F.

For certain, we as a society have become over-protective and baby our kids. It's bad for them. My kids are pretty young still but we try not to let them see any concern on our face when they get hurt. We try to make sure they take on obstacles and learn to handle it themselves. We try to challenge them. I had to prod a bit, but I got my 5 year old to hike 2 miles up a mountain with me a few weeks ago. When they come to us with problems instead of offering advice we try to ask them questions that lead them to think of a solution.

Iowanian
06-05-2006, 12:58 PM
I was burned to pealing several times...all of them my fault. When I got old enough to be out on my own....raking hay or whatever, I developed a habbit of taking my shirt off and got fried at least once every year.

Saturday, I was at an outdoor event for a while, and a guy had a little girl, probably not 2 yet who was absolutely fried. I didn't say anything, and I regret it now as she really needed to be out of the sun.

jspchief
06-05-2006, 01:03 PM
I think the only value in letting them get a little burned now would be so they can understand their tolerance level. You'd hate for them to go down to Mexico on spring break in college and get so sunburned that they can't participate in the perverted rituals. A girl I went to high school with did that very thing in South Padre Island over spring break. She was very light complected, but in an effort to do what her friends were doing, tanned with baby oil on the first day there. She got sun poisoning, her head swelled up to the size of a basketball, and she spent the entire spring break in the hospital or in her room.

As a kid I burned to the point of blistering more times than I can count. Probably at least oncer per year, sometimes more. My skin needs to be eased into a tan. Even now, working outdoors, I have to pace my tan. I also have had biopsies that produced cancerous moles.

Donger
06-05-2006, 01:13 PM
I also have had biopsies that produced cancerous moles.

Note to self: avoid biopsies.

jspchief
06-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Note to self: avoid biopsies.I'm not sure if that's a smartass response to my use of the word "produced", if if you're going with the "what I don't know won't hurt me" approach to moles.

Donger
06-05-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure if that's a smartass response to my use of the word "produced", if if you're going with the "what I don't know won't hurt me" approach to moles.

Which do you think?

jspchief
06-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Which do you think?It's hard to tell with the kinder, gentler Donger. But probably the former.

greg63
06-05-2006, 01:19 PM
How Many Times Were You Sunburned As A Child?
More then I can number; which I'm sure explains a lot about me. :rolleyes:

JBucc
06-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Maybe three times

Rain Man
06-05-2006, 01:26 PM
A girl I went to high school with did that very thing in South Padre Island over spring break. She was very light complected, but in an effort to do what her friends were doing, tanned with baby oil on the first day there. She got sun poisoning, her head swelled up to the size of a basketball, and she spent the entire spring break in the hospital or in her room.

I'll bet it kept her out of the wet t-shirt contest, too. What a senseless tragedy.

kc rush
06-05-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm a red head, so I've had my share of burns. I make a point of putting plenty of sun screen on son #1, and I will do the same for son #2. I don't want them to go through the same things I did.

Son #1 is a red head, but he tans (genetics from his mom's side) even after we put sun screen on him.

Amnorix
06-05-2006, 01:54 PM

This is mostly because she was trying to kill you off, but stubborn bastard that you are, you just wouldn't die.

But, I wouldn't take it personal or anything.

Donger
06-05-2006, 02:05 PM
This is mostly because she was trying to kill you off, but stubborn bastard that you are, you just wouldn't die.

But, I wouldn't take it personal or anything.

Heh. I asked her about it a little while ago when she came to one of my son's swim lessons. She said she made us do it to "make men out of us." I mentioned hypothermia, and she said, "I brought towels."

I suppose four boys that close together would make anyone a bit nuts.

CosmicPal
06-05-2006, 02:09 PM
I was sunburned the first of every summer. I grew up along the fairway of a private country club, so every day I played golf and swam at the country club pool. We didn't use lotion- we used baby oil.

Coach
06-05-2006, 02:20 PM
I fry easily, especially on the first day of hot weather.

I swear that I am like Neoplean Ice Cream whenever I come home. Pink/Red on my arms, tan on the middle, and white on my shoulders that haven't been exposed to the sun.

sedated
06-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Sunburns are Gods way of keeping Ginger Kids where they belong - inside...away from normal society

HemiEd
06-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Blistered bad three or four times. I did not wear a helmet, knee pads and elbow pads to ride a bike either. We also used to enjoy breaking thermometers to play with the mercury. Asbestos was a miracle product!

Nzoner
06-05-2006, 03:45 PM
I'd think they'll figure it out as teenagers better than as small children.

I wish I had.My worst burn came at the age of 13 or so during a field day at the end of 8th grade.What made it worse is that I was in a school play the next day and my character was a bully in a classroom that got hit on the back NUMEROUS times by a young lady whom I was picking on.

I swear,there was no acting involved when after being hit my line was to cry,"Teacher make her quit."

PastorMikH
06-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Just about every weekend of the summer (every summer from 11-20) we'd go to the Lake of the Ozarks. It usually took about three weeks worth of the burns you are describing to finally get to the point that I didn't burn and peel anymore.

I know what you mean about the kids, the wife is always putting something on them. My youngest looks like a blonde little mexican girl (To whom it may concern, that is intended as description, not insult so don't get worked up about it) and the wife still keeps putting the sunblock on her. The kid could spend all day in the pool and never have to worry about a burn.

Mile High Mania
06-05-2006, 04:36 PM
I was burned more times than I needed to be...

My wife does the same to our two (both under 5) and I don't have an issue with it. I know that when they become teens, they'll get their share of burns.

Getting bad burns when they're young would be unbearable for them and for the parent.

redbrian
06-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Red hair and blue eyes does not make for good skin pigment. I have been burned and blistered more times than I can count.

I'll second that, not the red hair and blue eyes but I also was a life guard for 3 years when I was in High School.

The worst was burning the bottom of my feet, I had them hanging off the life guard chair and the sun bouncing off of the water blistered my feet.

penchief
06-05-2006, 05:26 PM
How are we supposed to know the answer to that? I know I had my body fried as a kid a couple times when it was my own fault trying to be cool at the beach.

However, the worst I've ever been sunburned was when I was an adult living in Texas. I went to a Sunday double-header at Arlington Stadium in the middle of the summer and forgot to bring sunblock along. Being a lifetime Yankees fan it was supposed to be a big thrill. In fact, it was when Don Mattingly was going for the all-time consecutive game home run record. He had tied it with eight and was going for nine (Back then they didn't use steroids).

Anyhoo, he didn't get the record and about halfway through the second game I had to go to the infirmary. Needless to say, I spent the following Monday off from work lying face down on the living room floor spread eagle, moaning and groaning all day long.

Believe it or not that is the only sick day I have ever used in my entire life.