PDA

View Full Version : I think my DirecTV got zapped

Nzoner
06-05-2006, 08:08 PM
by the storm that rolled through here about an hour ago,damn lightning was wicked,haven't seen a light show like that in some time.

Thankfully I've got the DTV insurance plan but now I'm going to have to call and talk to a drone who will want me to unplug my system and try different trobleshooting methods before eventually they realize what I already know and have to send a guy like Skip out to replace this or that.

I guess if there's a bright side it's that it's not football season.

JBucc
06-05-2006, 08:10 PM
That sucks. Maybe you should get a lightning rod and tie TJ's nipples to the other end.

SLAG
06-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Dude my wife and I just said how lucky we were that we have cable because that thunderstorm sounded Shitty

thats even shitter that you lost your shits...

Sounds like a DVD night

JBucc
06-05-2006, 08:15 PM
What really sucks is when the big sattelite at the cable office gets zapped and it takes them a week to get new parts in.

Nzoner
06-05-2006, 08:17 PM
What really sucks is when the big sattelite at the cable office gets zapped and it takes them a week to get new parts in.

Believe it or not I still have an old C-Band dish hooked up as well,don't get much anymore but a few wild feeds but at least it withstood the storm.

SLAG
06-05-2006, 08:18 PM

Damn

I would have backup parts on hand...

but i would probably take a week to install them cuz im lazy

SLAG
Believe it or not I still have an old C-Band dish hooked up as well,don't get much anymore but a few wild feeds but at least it withstood the storm.

What kind of channels do you get with that??

damn...

Would DVD be better?

:shrug:

OldTownChief
Calm down sir...Have you tried to unplug your system and try our many other different trobleshooting methods?

Skip Towne
06-05-2006, 08:19 PM
What's it doing or not doing? Usually when lightning takes out D* it also gets the TV, refrigerator, etc.

Nzoner
06-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Calm down sir...Have you tried to unplug your system and try our many other different trobleshooting methods?

Look,I realize you're just doing your job,however,I've had DTV for over 7 years and this has happened more than once,I've memorized the troubleshooting methods and I know what the problem is,now would you please connect me to technical support so I can get an appointment and get back to my scheduled programming.

Nzoner
06-05-2006, 08:26 PM
What's it doing or not doing? Usually when lightning takes out D* it also gets the TV, refrigerator, etc.

It is searching for satellite signal,and the storm is long gone and it is now quite nice outside.

Bearcat
06-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Look,I realize you're just doing your job,however,I've had DTV for over 7 years and this has happened more than once,I've memorized the troubleshooting methods and I know what the problem is,now would you please connect me to technical support so I can get an appointment and get back to my scheduled programming.

Speaking of programming, would you like to hear about our super-duper premium plan?

OldTownChief
06-05-2006, 08:29 PM

Sir, I'm working off a flow chart and it says to unplug your system and wait 10 seconds. I've never had to go any further than this. Trust me.

SLAG
06-05-2006, 08:29 PM
DTV Keeps Calling me back every month... and I keep telling them to call me in a year... and they keep calling im getting pissed

OldTownChief
06-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Speaking of programming, would you like to hear about our super-duper premium plan?

ROFL

Nzoner
06-05-2006, 08:30 PM

Look Dullah or Abdul or whatever the hell you said your name was,if I want additional programming I have the number.

OldTownChief
06-05-2006, 08:33 PM
How bout paperless billing for an additional sixteen dollars per month.

Bearcat
06-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Look Dullah or Abdul or whatever the hell you said your name was,if I want additional programming I have the number.
Of course sir, but as you may have heard in our recording while you were on hold for 45 minutes, our special on the super-duper premium plan ends this week. I can send someone out to your home to talk to you about it tomorrow. Let's go ahead and schedule that now, okay?

Skip Towne
06-05-2006, 08:36 PM
How many receivers have you got active? Are they all saying Searching for Satellite?

Nzoner
06-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Of course sir, but as you may have heard in our recording while you were on hold for 45 minutes, our special on the super-duper premium plan ends this week. I can send someone out to your home to talk to you about it tomorrow. Let's go ahead and schedule that now, okay?

Sure why not,just make sure whomever you're sending knows how to fix my focking system as well!

Nzoner
06-05-2006, 08:38 PM
How many receivers have you got active? Are they all saying Searching for Satellite?

Two stay active during non football season and yes both are searching for satellite.

Bearcat
06-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Sure why not,just make sure whomever you're sending knows how to fix my focking system as well!

I can assure you all of our sales people are fully trained at reseating your power cord. You can expect him between 4am and Saturday. Have a good night! *click*

Nzoner
06-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Damn,I just checked again after having it shut down for half an hour,looks like I'll be making the dreaded phone call tonight.

Nzoner
06-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Damn,I just checked again after having it shut down for half an hour,looks like I'll be making the dreaded phone call tonight.

It isn't my night,I got stuck with a new employee so it took twice as long to go through troubleshooting.I tried to get him to bet with me before we started that he'd be sending a technician out,of course he wouldn't bite.

The tech will be here Thursday.

Skip Towne
06-05-2006, 09:36 PM
It isn't my night,I got stuck with a new employee so it took twice as long to go through troubleshooting.I tried to get him to bet with me before we started that he'd be sending a technician out,of course he wouldn't bite.

The tech will be here Thursday.
Shouldn't we try to fix it first? Unless you have the maintenance insurance they will charge you $70 just to show up. And if it is Premier or Ironwood, it will be some kid who hired on last week that knows less than you do about it.

Nzoner
06-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Shouldn't we try to fix it first? Unless you have the maintenance insurance they will charge you $70 just to show up. And if it is Premier or Ironwood, it will be some kid who hired on last week that knows less than you do about it.

We've discussed this before though Skip,everytime I get a nasty storm I get zapped and it's always been the multi-switch.

Yes,I have the insurance.

Skip Towne
06-05-2006, 09:59 PM
We've discussed this before though Skip,everytime I get a nasty storm I get zapped and it's always been the multi-switch.

Yes,I have the insurance.
Yeah, I strongly suspect the multiswitch, which you don't need with two receivers but you do with more than 4 (total including 2 to DVR's) Since you have the insurance, let them handle it. I would like to know what fixes it though. It's either the multiswitch or the LNB since that is all the two receivers have in common. It can't be the wiring or the receivers because they are separate. I would also like your assessment of the tech that comes out. We had a disagreement on a D* board today about the quality of the HSP techs. (HSP = Home Service Providers) In Tulsa (and Springfield) they have an ad in the paper all the time and they hire mostly kids. There are a few older guys but they move very slowly and obviously lack motivation. Let me know what you get.

Nzoner
06-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I strongly suspect the multiswitch, which you don't need with two receivers but you do with more than 4 (total including 2 to DVR's) Since you have the insurance, let them handle it. I would like to know what fixes it though. It's either the multiswitch or the LNB since that is all the two receivers have in common. It can't be the wiring or the receivers because they are separate. I would also like your assessment of the tech that comes out. We had a disagreement on a D* board today about the quality of the HSP techs. (HSP = Home Service Providers) In Tulsa (and Springfield) they have an ad in the paper all the time and they hire mostly kids. There are a few older guys but they move very slowly and obviously lack motivation. Let me know what you get.

Yeah,but remember I have 8 receivers total,I just don't use them all until football season thus the multi-switch is a must.

I'll let you know what happens and how the tech is.

OldTownChief
06-05-2006, 11:14 PM
We had a disagreement on a D* board today about the quality of the HSP techs.

Was he a n00b? :p

dtebbe
06-06-2006, 11:30 AM
why not just jump the recievers past the multiswitch with a f-barrel connector (available at Wal Mart or about anywhere)? .50 and 10 minutes later you would probably have the 2 recievers you are using right now up and running???

DT

Bob Dole
06-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Yeah,but remember I have 8 receivers total,I just don't use them all until football season thus the multi-switch is a must.

I'll let you know what happens and how the tech is.

Bob Dole assumes he's talking about bypassing the multiswitch until Thursday to get yourself back up and running.

Calcountry
06-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Speaking of programming, would you like to hear about our super-duper premium plan?I tell you what, I'll give you showtime for free for a month.

Calcountry
06-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Shouldn't we try to fix it first? Unless you have the maintenance insurance they will charge you $70 just to show up. And if it is Premier or Ironwood, it will be some kid who hired on last week that knows less than you do about it.Damn N00b DirecTV guys! :cuss:

Nzoner
06-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Bob Dole assumes he's talking about bypassing the multiswitch until Thursday to get yourself back up and running.

At least it's deadline week,I can blame my dumbassery on that.