PDA

View Full Version : This is total crap...

Moooo
06-05-2006, 08:18 PM
WHAT THE HELL IS THE STANLEY F*CKING CUP DOING ON THE OUTDOOR LIFE NETWORK!?! I DON"T GET THIS GODDAMNED CHANNEL AND I'M A LITTLE PISSED RIGHT NOW!!!

GRRRR!

I wish it was back to the good-ol days where it was on ESPN and the Cup was on ABC...

Moooo

morphius
06-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Please try to stick to the NHL thread...

Mile High Mania
06-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Hmmm... hasn't the NHL been on OLN all year?

the Talking Can
06-05-2006, 08:20 PM
why is it on TV at all?

KcMizzou
06-05-2006, 08:21 PM
OLN... Home of Survivor reruns, Ted Nugent reality shows, and the Stanley Cup.

Moooo
06-05-2006, 08:22 PM
I figured my unconstructive comment didn't belong on a thread actually talking about the hockey itself. My complaint is merely programming.

Hmmm... hasn't the NHL been on OLN all year?

And I thought, like they do with the NBA Finals or such, that the Cup would be on a regular channel, not some crap channel only 20 percent of Americans get... ITS THE FRIGGIN CUP! Its the most storied trophy in all of the land!

Moooo

Mile High Mania
06-05-2006, 08:25 PM
I figured my unconstructive comment didn't belong on a thread actually talking about the hockey itself. My complaint is merely programming.

And I thought, like they do with the NBA Finals or such, that the Cup would be on a regular channel, not some crap channel only 20 percent of Americans get... ITS THE FRIGGIN CUP! Its the most storied trophy in all of the land!

Moooo

The main networks didn't think the price was right.

Moooo
06-05-2006, 08:27 PM
The main networks didn't think the price was right.

Do I have to move to Canada? Is this what its come to? GRRRR!!!!

I'm gonna order the channel for the next month, screw this. Even if it is $25 bucks, its the cup!

Moooo

sd4chiefs
06-05-2006, 08:27 PM
They are still playing hockey? :shrug:

JBucc
06-05-2006, 08:28 PM
They are still playing hockey? :shrug:They started it back up again?:shrug:

Bearcat
06-05-2006, 08:28 PM

Moooo

I believe games 3-7 are on NBC.

BWillie
06-05-2006, 08:29 PM
I used to play hockey. I was the only guy to take my skate and try to stab somebody.

Moooo
06-05-2006, 08:30 PM
They are still playing hockey? :shrug:

Dude, how can you not like hockey? It is the only sport faster and harder hitting than football, and the action is so incredibly fast its crazy!

I mean, Fighting is legal until you hit the ground! Okay, so there's a penalty, but you get the same penalty whether you just trade a few punches or knock the other guy unconscious...

Moooo

Moooo
06-05-2006, 08:32 PM
I believe games 3-7 are on NBC.

Sweet... so much for trying to order OLN...

I swear to god if this crap keeps up for another year, I'm gonna scream...

Moooo

ENDelt260
06-05-2006, 08:34 PM
some crap channel only 20 percent of Americans get...

Which is a significantly higher percentage of Americans than watch hockey on TV.

Outdraw bass fishing and the PBA and maybe you can get your championship on a real network.

Moooo
06-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Which is a significantly higher percentage of Americans than watch hockey on TV.

Outdraw bass fishing and the PBA and maybe you can get your championship on a real network.

I'll agree with you, but I also ask you this... Why is the NHL not popular? I can't even come up with a reason why, so maybe someone else can explain it to me...

The only thing that even comes close is the low scoring, but baseball is just as bad. It's like the contact of football, the speed of basketball and the scoring of baseball. It's all good!

Moooo, who watches the PBA and likes it

sd4chiefs
06-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Dude, how can you not like hockey? It is the only sport faster and harder hitting than football, and the action is so incredibly fast its crazy!

I mean, Fighting is legal until you hit the ground! Okay, so there's a penalty, but you get the same penalty whether you just trade a few punches or knock the other guy unconscious...

Moooo

If Kansas City gets a hockey team then maybe I will watch.

ENDelt260
06-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Why is the NHL not popular?

Maybe they should try skating faster and only turning left. That seems to draw big numbers.

Bearcat
06-05-2006, 08:45 PM
I'll agree with you, but I also ask you this... Why is the NHL not popular? I can't even come up with a reason close to why, so maybe someone else can explain it to me...

The only thing that even comes close is the low scoring, but baseball is just as bad. It's like the contact of football, the speed of basketball and the scoring of baseball. It's all good!

#1-5) It's not American.
#6) People follow baseball and football and basketball because they play or at least dream of being a player. Since there aren't good, developed leagues all across the country, hockey is much like lacrosse... a niche sport.
#7) It's expensive... football is, too, if it's organized, but you can still play in your backyard for the cost of the ball.
#8) It's on ice, so it's not really one of those sports that can be played at a variety of places.
#9) People like offense, which is why the new NHL is doing better attendance-wise.
#10) People think it's complicated. You hear football terms, baseball terms, etc; in every day life, but you don't use terms like icing, two line pass, and zamboni much, so it's not 'natural'.

JBucc
06-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Maybe they should try skating faster and only turning left. That seems to draw big numbers.And when they hit each other have body parts rip off.

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-05-2006, 08:46 PM
I'll agree with you, but I also ask you this... Why is the NHL not popular? I can't even come up with a reason why, so maybe someone else can explain it to me...

It's soccer on ice.

Bearcat
06-05-2006, 08:51 PM
It's soccer on ice.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3233662&postcount=15

:harumph:

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-05-2006, 08:55 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3233662&postcount=15

:harumph:
Meh. That was in a completely different thread 5 days ago.

Moooo
06-05-2006, 08:56 PM
It's soccer on ice.

Uh, last time I checked you can't just hard check a guy with a soccer ball.

The only people who say this are people who don't watch either. Soccer is about HALF as slow as hockey.

Moooo

tk13
06-05-2006, 08:59 PM
It's soccer on ice.
I've always thought that was a tough analogy. Granted a lot of people think that. Nothing against soccer, but hockey is more fast paced and has more scoring chances than soccer. I enjoy hockey way more than soccer for that reason.

Hockey is low scoring, but there are literally 70-80 scoring chances a game, if not more.

greg63
06-05-2006, 08:59 PM
WHAT THE HELL IS THE STANLEY F*CKING CUP DOING ON THE OUTDOOR LIFE NETWORK!?! I DON"T GET THIS GODDAMNED CHANNEL AND I'M A LITTLE PISSED RIGHT NOW!!!

GRRRR!

I wish it was back to the good-ol days where it was on ESPN and the Cup was on ABC...

Moooo

My guess would be that they aired it because they can. :shrug:

Bearcat
06-05-2006, 09:00 PM

The only people who say this are people who don't watch either. Soccer is about HALF as slow as hockey.

Moooo

That's another reason... since people don't play it, they don't know how much skill it takes. They think of hockey as either goons or soccer, which couldn't be further from the truth.

I started really appreciating it when I started playing... it's a little harder than people think ;)

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-05-2006, 09:01 PM

Moooo
Nonsense, I'm watching it now, I have OLN. Man what a great game!

Mecca
06-05-2006, 10:17 PM
ESPN would rather show shit like Playmakers and Poker than Hockey.......their program director is a tard if you ask me.

SPchief
06-06-2006, 12:00 AM
ESPN would rather show shit like Playmakers and Poker than Hockey.......their program director is a tard if you ask me.

I like hockey.

But my guess is that ESPN draws better ratings with the WSOP than the Stanley cup.

Rausch
06-06-2006, 12:02 AM
ITS THE FRIGGIN CUP! Its the most storied trophy in all of the land!

Moooo

Whoa, whoa, whoa...WHO'S land?

A'H SMELLS A SQUIRMY KERMIE!1! :cuss:

Mecca
06-06-2006, 12:40 AM
The fact that people watch poker on TV still baffles the hell out of me.

Miles
06-06-2006, 12:49 AM
The fact that people watch poker on TV still baffles the hell out of me.

It was somewhat interesting a few years ago when they first started showing it, but that interest for me was very short.

Cost vs. returns is why they don't show hockey anymore. Really have nothing against the sport but they have done a terrible job of marketing it.

Moooo
06-06-2006, 01:45 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa...WHO'S land?

A'H SMELLS A SQUIRMY KERMIE!1! :cuss:

If you want specifics, I'd say... North America.

And its story beats out the Lombardi trophy by leaps and bounds. If for no other reason by how long its been around, not to mention you don't get to keep it but the year you won it. I mean, that makes it more storied and possibly more coveted by its athletes.

Moooo

Taco John
06-06-2006, 01:51 AM
I liked watching hockey when they spot shadowed the puck. Once they got rid of that, I lost interest.

Rausch
06-06-2006, 03:13 AM
If you want specifics, I'd say... North America.

And its story beats out the Lombardi trophy by leaps and bounds.

Frog!

Frog! Frog! FROG!1!

Ultra Peanut
06-06-2006, 03:22 AM
They could also have a contest to see which player is the best karaoke singer.

Ultra Peanut
06-06-2006, 03:23 AM
Uh, last time I checked you can't just hard check a guy with a soccer ball.You've clearly never watched England's League One...

Moooo
06-06-2006, 03:37 AM
Frog!

Frog! Frog! FROG!1!

So you think that there is a greater legacy behind a trophy that's been around for 40 years (which every team gets to keep after winning), or one that has been around for a 112 years, carrying with it the name of every person to win the finals?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a football fan before a hockey fan, but I just WISH the NFL had a trophy as cool as the Cup.

Moooo

Predarat
06-06-2006, 08:48 AM
OLN does do a good job with the NHL but I wish more people got it. Hopefully they will find someone that will do as good of job as OLN but with more exposure.

KCTitus
06-06-2006, 08:57 AM
Hockey is not a sport condusive for TV...it's barely watchable at the arena.

alpha_omega
06-06-2006, 09:03 AM

Even PBA and bass fishing are on ESPN! ROFL

Moooo
06-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Hockey is not a sport condusive for TV...it's barely watchable at the arena.

What makes you say that? I understand it doesn't capture the intensity well on TV, but its still fun to watch.

Moooo

KCTitus
06-06-2006, 09:10 AM
What makes you say that? I understand it doesn't capture the intensity well on TV, but its still fun to watch.

Moooo

The obstructed view of the puck a good percentage of the time is very distracting. Ive never acquired an appreciation for the sport, so I wouldnt tune in even if it were on ESPN or one of the big 4 broadcast networks so you could say Im a bit biased.

morphius
06-06-2006, 09:25 AM
I liked watching hockey when they spot shadowed the puck. Once they got rid of that, I lost interest.
Which just proves one thing, Taco John is slow.

chiefqueen
06-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Two points..........

1. The Outdoor Life Network is supposedly renaming itself to Versus later this year.

2. Beginning with game 3, the Stanley Cup Finals will be on NBC.

svuba
06-06-2006, 10:06 AM
So you think that there is a greater legacy behind a trophy that's been around for 40 years (which every team gets to keep after winning), or one that has been around for a 112 years, carrying with it the name of every person to win the finals?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a football fan before a hockey fan, but I just WISH the NFL had a trophy as cool as the Cup.

Moooo

Sorry Dude you can't keep counting the 112 year legacy after you quit for a year. If the almighty legacy was so great then what happened to the Cup last year? I didn't hear much complaining from anybody that Hockey was gone last year. If the NFL was gone for a Year you can bet your a$$ that would be the only thing people would talk about the entire time it was gone. Sorry but the #1 trophy in THIS land is the Lombardi

You should be happy Hockey is on TV at all after the lockout - - what a disgrace.
As far as I am concerned this is Hockeys first year.

morphius
06-06-2006, 10:14 AM
Sorry Dude you can't keep counting the 112 year legacy after you quit for a year. If the almighty legacy was so great then what happened to the Cup last year? I didn't hear much complaining from anybody that Hockey was gone last year. If the NFL was gone for a Year you can bet your a$$ that would be the only thing people would talk about the entire time it was gone. Sorry but the #1 trophy in THIS land is the Lombardi

You should be happy Hockey is on TV at all after the lockout - - what a disgrace.
Lets see, the owners stood up to the players and actually got a cap in place. Which saved some teams, made the others more competitive and I'm supposed to be really pissed off they cancelled a year? I have been praying that baseball owners could unite is such a strong fashion.

And while the Lombardi is great, there is something special about a trophy that has everyone's name on it who has won it. Plus the fact that you get a day with it is pretty sweet as well, it doesn't just immediatly go on some team owners mantel.

Kerberos
06-06-2006, 10:41 AM
I used to play hockey. I was the only guy to take my skate and try to stab somebody.

Does this make YOU Happy?

KCwolf
06-06-2006, 11:49 AM
The first game of the Stanley Cup Finals was Outstanding....Hell, I'm not even a huge hockey fan - but what the hell else was on TV? OLN does a good job of coverage IMO....NBC takes over this weekend.

Sully
06-06-2006, 12:13 PM
#1-5) It's not American.
#6) People follow baseball and football and basketball because they play or at least dream of being a player. Since there aren't good, developed leagues all across the country, hockey is much like lacrosse... a niche sport.
#7) It's expensive... football is, too, if it's organized, but you can still play in your backyard for the cost of the ball.
#8) It's on ice, so it's not really one of those sports that can be played at a variety of places.
#9) People like offense, which is why the new NHL is doing better attendance-wise.
#10) People think it's complicated. You hear football terms, baseball terms, etc; in every day life, but you don't use terms like icing, two line pass, and zamboni much, so it's not 'natural'.

I think these are good reasons, but I think there is an even bigger reason hockey, and even soccer, aren't very popular in America.
It all has to do with attention span.When you think of football, baseball and basketball, you can cut those games into little chunks. You can flip to another channel, and still get back and see the next play. An at bat, a possesion in basketball or a play in football. In hockey, there is a flow, and a scoring chance can come from out of nowhere, so if ou are watching a game, you don't look away. There may be 5 minutes of "nothing" happening, and then suddenly 3-4 scoring chances both ways, so it's not as easily cut up into short snippets, as the other sports are. I think that is the number one reason it doesn't translate to TV, which means the main American public doesn't get it.

morphius
06-06-2006, 12:21 PM
I think these are good reasons, but I think there is an even bigger reason hockey, and even soccer, aren't very popular in America.
It all has to do with attention span.When you think of football, baseball and basketball, you can cut those games into little chunks. You can flip to another channel, and still get back and see the next play. An at bat, a possesion in basketball or a play in football. In hockey, there is a flow, and a scoring chance can come from out of nowhere, so if ou are watching a game, you don't look away. There may be 5 minutes of "nothing" happening, and then suddenly 3-4 scoring chances both ways, so it's not as easily cut up into short snippets, as the other sports are. I think that is the number one reason it doesn't translate to TV, which means the main American public doesn't get it.
You could probably throw in the fact that most people don't like it because of the low scoring, which baseball suffered from as well. But baseball is a past time in the US, while hockey just isn't there yet.

Of course maybe if they made each goal worth 6 points like in football they could remedy that :D

KCTitus
06-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Of course maybe if they made each goal worth 6 points like in football they could remedy that :D

They tried that in indoor soccer...one, now defunct, league had each goal 2 pts and a 3 point line. Scores went up into the teens. It didnt help.

CoMoChief
06-06-2006, 12:30 PM
why is it on TV at all?

:ROFL:

Hockey sucks.

Bearcat
06-06-2006, 02:29 PM
The obstructed view of the puck a good percentage of the time is very distracting. Ive never acquired an appreciation for the sport, so I wouldnt tune in even if it were on ESPN or one of the big 4 broadcast networks so you could say Im a bit biased.

Heh... that's the reason I love going to football game so much better than tv. You pick up the puck the longer you watch, and learn to watch the players more than the puck, and it becomes more enjoyable. The plus side to hockey is that the rink is relatively small, so you don't miss a lot behind the play, because it's almost all on your screen. During a passing play in football, otoh, you get most of the action on any replays they show of the actual routes and how the guy got open.

Calcountry
06-06-2006, 02:40 PM
why is it on TV at all?Because Canadiens watch TV too.

Bearcat
06-06-2006, 02:42 PM
It all has to do with attention span.

Very good reason.. and when you go to OT, there aren't even commercial breaks. As I've mentioned about 50 times in the playoff thread, it's the main reason for my dvr... so I can not only record all the stuff, but I can do other work when I need to and rewind when I miss a big play.

It's quite the contradiction... people complaining about too many commercials, yet they don't have the attention span to watch something without commercials :hmmm: ;)

rad
06-06-2006, 02:48 PM
I tried watching hockey, but can't follow the puck.

Maybe it's one of those sports that you have to be there to appreciate.

tk13
06-06-2006, 02:56 PM
This is a really interesting discussion to me. I think the attention span point was good, and maybe it being low scoring has something to do with it.

But that always seems really odd to me. Because if you think about it, football is really a low scoring game as well. Difference is... a score in football is worth more points so it looks like a bigger final score. You go out there and play a 14-10 game... it's considered an exciting defensive struggle, that's 4 scores. The entire game. That's no different than hockey or baseball. I wonder why that is? It's funny how that works.

Calcountry
06-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Very good reason.. and when you go to OT, there aren't even commercial breaks. As I've mentioned about 50 times in the playoff thread, it's the main reason for my dvr... so I can not only record all the stuff, but I can do other work when I need to and rewind when I miss a big play.

It's quite the contradiction... people complaining about too many commercials, yet they don't have the attention span to watch something without commercials :hmmm: ;)puh! It has more to do with money. No commercials, no money. Well, mr sponsor, we can't break up the play and go to a commerical, mr. sponsor. where did he go?

As far as the guy who posted after saying you can't follow the puck, really. Can you follow a baseball any better? Only because you know the game, and you anticipate where the play is going to be.

Once you learn hockey, you just know they are going to go arround the boards, and the puck will come up to a guy on the other side by the opposite wing boards.

You know they have to skate a little with the puck, to allow a dude to get clean with some speed so he can take the pass in onsides. You know, that when they are clogged, the fool will "dump" the puck in rather than lose posession trying to carry over the blue line and risk an offsides or turnover.

It is easy to follow the puck when you can anticipate the play. If you can't do that, then you just haven't aquired a taste for it. Kind of like appreciating an excellent full bodied lager. It takes a while, but it sure is a kick.

rad
06-06-2006, 03:04 PM
This is a really interesting discussion to me. I think the attention span point was good, and maybe it being low scoring has something to do with it.

But that always seems really odd to me. Because if you think about it, football is really a low scoring game as well. Difference is... a score in football is worth more points so it looks like a bigger final score. You go out there and play a 14-10 game... it's considered an exciting defensive struggle, that's 4 scores. The entire game. That's no different than hockey or baseball. I wonder why that is? It's funny how that works.

There's different scoring opportunities in football. FG's, extra pt, 2 pt conversion, safety, etc.

Calcountry
06-06-2006, 03:06 PM

But that always seems really odd to me. Because if you think about it, football is really a low scoring game as well. Difference is... a score in football is worth more points so it looks like a bigger final score. You go out there and play a 14-10 game... it's considered an exciting defensive struggle, that's 4 scores. The entire game. That's no different than hockey or baseball. I wonder why that is? It's funny how that works.This is America, we like inflation.

I once overheard a transplanted Canuck saying there should be more ways to evaluate or take into consideration what constitutes a win for a football team. IOW, more ways to score. Like, a team should be awarded a point for getting a first down, or a point for 100 yards of offense. He was merely trying to have some entertaining conversation with another friend of ours. I interject, "you can't do that, it is what it is." He goes, "why not".

"I'll tell you why not. How bout we start having hockey goals count for 2 points and a clanger off the pipes count for one?"

To which he replied, "well now, that is different." LOL.

Sure it is buddy.

listopencil
06-06-2006, 04:08 PM
It's soccer on ice.

Basketball is more like soccer than hockey is.

chiefs4me
06-06-2006, 05:04 PM

Moooo

What team do you cheer for??? I have no clue what this OLN thing is, I watch the games on espn 2 down here...:shrug:

chiefs4me
06-06-2006, 05:09 PM

They were talking about it you freaking loon, on hockey boards...:rolleyes: this is a football site, remember..:evil:

chiefs4me
06-06-2006, 05:13 PM

Ultra Peanut
06-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Basketball is more like soccer than hockey is.That's actually a pretty good point, constant scoring to the point where any individual basket feels meaningless in basketball aside.

As for the soccer/hockey thing, I like hockey. Thing is, though, I just can't get all that into it due to all of the stoppages. I think this is because I've been spoiled by soccer, which is just so fluid and constant. Toss in the amazing creativity and spontaneity, plus the fact that it's a lot more entertaining and impressive, to me, to watch a goalkeeper flying all over the place to keep the ball from going into a big goal than a goaltender who's basically the size of the net stopping the puck from going in, by comparison.

I appreciate the skill, but the visual spectacle presented by it? Not as much.

KCBOSS1
06-06-2006, 08:15 PM

Moooo

I've never actually seen anybody score.....seriously. I've heard that it is crazy to watch in person. But I've never watched long enough to actually see anybody score. I can't even tell who has the puck. I don't know...just can't get into it.

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-06-2006, 08:23 PM

Moooo
Actually that statement is not true. NASCAR is much faster and harder-hitting than hockey.

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Basketball is more like soccer than hockey is.
Huh? How is basketball similar to soccer?

Moooo
06-06-2006, 10:48 PM
What team do you cheer for??? I have no clue what this OLN thing is, I watch the games on espn 2 down here...:shrug:

First and foremost due to my heritage I cheer for team Finland (was ecstatic during the Olympics till that final friggin game...)

Given that, I like Dallas a lot. But I will also cheer for Teemu and Kiprusoff if they're doing well...

Moooo