PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff: Who has a better shot at the HOF? P. Holmes or T. Davis

Taco John
06-05-2006, 11:12 PM
I already know the escape route, and I'm blocking the door... I already know that neither will likely make the HOF. The question is, "which has the best shot at it?"

Spicy McHaggis
06-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Priest doesn't have the hardware...yet.

cdcox
06-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Terrell Davis. He was so good that he drug Elway's choking ass to two SB titles. Still don't think he had the longevity to be inducted though. We'll see.

Dunit35
06-05-2006, 11:17 PM
If TD played longer and stustained it then I would pick him. He did save John Elways super bowl career.

Rausch
06-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Holmes was the better HB but TD accomplished more.

TD get's in before Holmes...

alanm
06-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Terrell Davis. He was so good that he drug Elway's choking ass to two SB titles. Still don't think he had the longevity to be inducted though. We'll see.
Neither has played long enough. So neither will make it.

the Talking Can
06-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Holmes was better...but no ring...and a late bloomer...neither will sniff the hall

Demonpenz
06-05-2006, 11:22 PM
td

Dunit35
06-05-2006, 11:23 PM
Rashaan Shehee.

banyon
06-05-2006, 11:24 PM
those HOF voters are whores for SB rings. Look at Derrick Thomas. TD.

Miles
06-05-2006, 11:25 PM
TD has a better shot because of the rings and the 2000 yd season. Both had a few year stretch in which they were each the best back in the leage. TD has more of one of those what could have been careers too.

BigRock
06-05-2006, 11:59 PM
In 5-10 years or so, when fantasy football gets so out of hand that games are shown in a tiny corner window of the TV while the rest of the screen is used for stats, they'll add fantasy numbers to HOF consideration. This will put Priest over the hump.

Rausch
06-06-2006, 12:03 AM
In 5-10 years or so, when fantasy football gets so out of hand that games are shown in a tiny corner window of the TV while the rest of the screen is used for stats, they'll add fantasy numbers to HOF consideration. This will put Priest over the hump.

OUCH...

BigRock
06-06-2006, 12:12 AM
OUCH...
I was just kiddin', didn't mean it as a slam or anything. I'm just saying, the way things are going, how a guy did for your fantasy team will probably mean more to people than anything else in a few years.

Logical
06-06-2006, 12:28 AM
Two SB says TD sorry to say. But he may not be a lock.

Guru
06-06-2006, 01:11 AM
Niether will make it. The person with the closest chance is probably TD. Had Priest not gotten injured in week 14 and actually broke all the records he had a shot at, that might have been enough to get him consideration.

Taco John
06-06-2006, 01:44 AM
I'm suprised that Priest never got league MVP...

Saggysack
06-06-2006, 01:55 AM
Priest doesn't have the hardware...yet.

Holmes has the hardware. Holmes has a SB ring.

Tough call all around though. Both SB winners, that started for their team.

I say TD though. 2 SB's, NFL MVP, SB MVP, 2 time Off PoY, most consecutive 100yd rushing games in postseason, 2000yd season. Looks pretty much like a lock to me.

Douche Baggins
06-06-2006, 01:56 AM
Priest. He is still playing.

Miles
06-06-2006, 02:08 AM
Priest. He is still playing.

Yeah thats a good argument.

Miles
06-06-2006, 02:11 AM
Holmes has the hardware. Holmes has a SB ring.

Tough call all around though. Both SB winners, that started for their team.

Backup RB's that have a ring are very comparable to ones that rush for 2000 yds in a season and carry their team to a SB.

Moooo
06-06-2006, 02:18 AM
No way Priest gets in before TD. TD has the rings. To the HOF committee, that's pure gold. I don't see Derrick Thomas in there as a first ballot, and there's not a doubt in my mind it is because of the lack of hardware. Combine DT with a Superbowl ring, and he's in right now.)

Also, the 2,000 yard season is like the holy grail of RBs everywhere. To get that in the NFL is a much greater feat than even breaking the all time TD record... Why this is this way is beyond me.

Who's my personal favorite? Priest, but he doesn't stand a chance in comparison unfortunately.

Moooo

Saggysack
06-06-2006, 02:23 AM
Backup RB's that have a ring are very comparable to ones that rush for 2000 yds in a season and carry their team to a SB.

Homles was the starting RB for the Ravens in the 2000 SB.

I'm not saying Priest gets in. I said earlier I think it would be TD.

Holmes does have a very good record. No way in hell he is first ballot, or even 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

CoMoChief
06-06-2006, 02:24 AM
Holmes was the better HB but TD accomplished more.

TD get's in before Holmes...

As sad as it is. I would say that TD is the better RB than Holmes. But also, I'm drunk as shit right now so what do I know right? TD accomplished more and the only thing Holmes has going for him is the TD record that Shaun Alexander broke last season. Even if we were to win the Super Bowl this season Holmes is gonna be a backup RB, meaning that his ring here really isnt gonna be a consideration in the HOF voting. I'm not trying to downplay Holmes on this next subject Im gonna say here, but any decent RB would run great behind our Oline, period, it's just that good of a line (when healthy) that alot of RB's in this league would flourish under it.

Miles
06-06-2006, 02:39 AM
Homles was the starting RB for the Ravens in the 2000 SB.

Priest ran for 8 yds and had 4 recieving in that SB. Jamal ran for 102 and a TD. Just guesing, but Id say Priest didnt have that large of a role in that game.

Saggysack
06-06-2006, 02:52 AM
Priest ran for 8 yds and had 4 recieving in that SB. Jamal ran for 102 and a TD. Just guesing, but Id say Priest didnt have that large of a role in that game.

He was the starter though.

Miles
06-06-2006, 03:01 AM

I really can't argue whether he was or not because I don't really remember the specifics from that SB. It was a fairly bad blowout and Jamal was clearly the feature back for all of that season and the playoffs.

If he was really the starter it was one of those odd ones. He may have started the game somehow but he got a small fraction of the carries and really had no impact on the game carrying the ball.

Rausch
06-06-2006, 03:09 AM
As sad as it is. I would say that TD is the better RB than Holmes. But also, I'm drunk as shit right now so what do I know right? TD accomplished more and the only thing Holmes has going for him is the TD record that Shaun Alexander broke last season. Even if we were to win the Super Bowl this season Holmes is gonna be a backup RB, meaning that his ring here really isnt gonna be a consideration in the HOF voting. I'm not trying to downplay Holmes on this next subject Im gonna say here, but any decent RB would run great behind our Oline, period, it's just that good of a line (when healthy) that alot of RB's in this league would flourish under it.

That's cool with me.

I'd sob like a sissy if we won a ring this year and Holmes became the new Bettis...

htismaqe
06-06-2006, 05:47 AM
2000 yards season + 2 SB rings > TD record that stood for only 2 years

That being said, neither of them are HoF material.

SCTrojan
06-06-2006, 05:55 AM
I'm with the crowd that says TD's Super Bowl rings give him the nod over Priest. But neither will make the hall, IMO.

Saulbadguy
06-06-2006, 05:56 AM
Priest has the knees to make it up the stairs to give his speech.

htismaqe
06-06-2006, 05:59 AM

OUCH.

OldTownChief
06-06-2006, 06:01 AM

And the brain.

Cochise
06-06-2006, 06:13 AM
Neither are HOF material.

One is as good as the other. One got the hardware and the other didn't. I don't think there's much difference between the two.

Gaz
06-06-2006, 06:23 AM
A better shot?

Davis. Because of the rings. But he would not deserve it.

Neither deserves to be there. Neither has the performance over an extended period of time.

xoxo~
Gaz
Maintaining the higher standard.

StcChief
06-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Unfortunately it's all about the SB rings

patteeu
06-06-2006, 07:20 AM
I think Priest was/is better, but I think TD is closer to the HOF by virtue of his SB rings.

ct
06-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Geez, Homer's in overdrive around here.

TD has a much better shot.

JBucc
06-06-2006, 07:27 AM
It's tough since Priest has more yards and a lot more touchdowns, but the two rings and 2000 yard season make me think Davis has the best chance. But like TJ said neither are getting in.

Inspector
06-06-2006, 07:31 AM
Shouldn't we add Donnell Bennet to the mix?

I mean, really....

Lzen
06-06-2006, 07:48 AM

I think you may be mistaken. The Ravens spent the #5 pick in the draft that year on Jamal Lewis. Sure, they let Priest be the starter at the beginning of the season, probably just to let Jamal get acclimated to the pro game. But it wasn't long until they made Lewis the starter. Doing a quick Google search, I was only able to find the AFC Championship game depth chart. JL was the starter and PH was the backup.

Lzen
06-06-2006, 07:49 AM
And I voted for TD. Since Davis was the workhorse back for 2 SB teams, he has a better shot with the HOF voters, IMO. Priest may have contributed to the Ravens SB, but he was not the workhorse back for that SB run.

JBucc
06-06-2006, 07:50 AM
The poll doesn't seem to match up too well with what people are posting

Rain Man
06-06-2006, 08:29 AM
The correct answer, of course, is neither of them.

Moving on, if Priest can get another 6,000 yards, then he'll be more likely. The odds are against that happening, though.

Davis has the Super Bowl rings, and I imagine that HoF voters will be pressured by the league to ignore the fact that they were obtained by cheating the salary cap. Therefore, those will help his voting.

However, neither will make it.

nychief
06-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Davis has two SB rings, a 2000 season and was at the top of his game for a longer period. This is a no brianer, no offense to Priest.

banyon
06-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Seems like almost everyone that posts and gives a reason is saying TD, but the votes are 48-34 Priest.

Is this just because people despise Taco so much?

Brock
06-06-2006, 09:23 AM
Seems like almost everyone that posts and gives a reason is saying TD, but the votes are 48-34 Priest.

Uh, you expect Chiefs fans to vote for a Bronco?

banyon
06-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Uh, you expect Chiefs fans to vote for a Bronco?

Most of the posts so far have said that they would.

vailpass
06-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Props to the KC fans in this thread. The vast majority have sacked up and responded as football fans when it must have been extremely hard to resist the homer/bronco hater urge.

An unbiased view says Holmes was a very nice RB who had some strong years. Priest revitalized KC's O and was the lynch pin on a couple of league-leading Os. Unfortunately those years ended before the playoffs began.
Holmes has a Raven SB ring. So does the punter, the kicker, the 3rd string TE. IMHO in the eyes of HOF voters J. Lewis is the RB that won that ring, Priest was along for the ride.

TD was a dominating game changer, 2000 yard rusher, 2 SB rings, 1 SB MVP whose career was cut down in it's prime.
Hands down TD has all the right calling cards to appeal to the HOF voters EXCEPT longevity.

Sadly neither appear to have done enough or stuck around long enough to go to the hall but TD has the better shot.

Mr. Laz
06-06-2006, 10:25 AM
neither

davis won a super bowl but didn't play long enough

holmes MIGHT play long enough but he won't be the featured back for a super bowl win

keg in kc
06-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Neither one should be in.

FringeNC
06-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Making the Hall of Fame depends on having many seasons as a great player. But what about a few seasons of being completely dominant?

I'd say the both should make it given how good they were for a few years if it wasn't for the fact that there wasn't much drop off when those two players left their respective teams. It's real hard to make a case for Priest given what Larry Johnson has done.

patteeu
06-06-2006, 11:10 AM

I reluctantly said TD, but I couldn't bring myself to cast a vote.

Rain Man
06-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Making the Hall of Fame depends on having many seasons as a great player. But what about a few seasons of being completely dominant?

I'd say the both should make it given how good they were for a few years if it wasn't for the fact that there wasn't much drop off when those two players left their respective teams. It's real hard to make a case for Priest given what Larry Johnson has done.

So Tony Dorsett shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame if he's followed by Emmitt Smith?

I agree, though, that I'd rather see a dominant player with a shorter career in the HoF over an average player that happened to survive for 20 years. Terrell Davis scared me more as an opponent than Jerome Bettis.

King_Chief_Fan
06-06-2006, 12:29 PM

It seems then that the same could be said about TD. The Denver plug and play offense doesn't speak any volumes about TD and his being a candidate

vailpass
06-06-2006, 12:35 PM
It seems then that the same could be said about TD. The Denver plug and play offense doesn't speak any volumes about TD and his being a candidate

I agree that the Bronco O can make a decentNFL RB out of a solid, one-cut-and-go downhill runner.

However, to date it has only manufactured one 2000 yard rusher, one 2 SB winner,one RB SB MVP winner. TD was a cut above any other Denver RB before or since.

Saggysack
06-08-2006, 12:17 AM
A better shot?

Davis. Because of the rings. But he would not deserve it.

Neither deserves to be there. Neither has the performance over an extended period of time.
xoxo~
Gaz
Maintaining the higher standard.

Using your logic, Gale Sayers doesn't deserve to be in the HoF.

Taco John
06-08-2006, 03:07 AM
I believe that Terrell will someday get in due to his dominance in the playoffs, combined with his 2,000 yard league MVP season, and a few other facts, such as him being the lowest drafted runningback to put together a 1,000 yard season in his rookie year.

I don't think he'll be a first ballot selection... but eventually, I believe he'll get in based on his dominance while he was able to play... For instance, in his first four seasons, Davis amassed 56 touchdowns, a feat that no other HOFer can claim. Not to mention breaking HOFer John Riggins record for consecutive 100 yard post-season games.

Aside from the dominant stats he put up, he'll also be remembered for charging onto the field while blinded by a migrane headache in order to serve as a decoy for a John Elway touchdown. I believe stories of dedication like that will tremendously help his cause.

The final reason I believe that Terrell Davis will be selected into the Hall of Fame is because John Elway and Mike Shanahan are going to be there, and the selection committee will eventually see the injustice of both of these players being there and Terrell Davis not. based on what he did for both of their careers.

I find it hard to believe that any runningback who served as a workhorse for a team's run at back-to-back championships could be denied a rightful place in the HOF.

I realize that my opinion will be shot down on a Chiefs message board.

Moooo
06-08-2006, 03:10 AM
This last post poses a more intriguing question:

If Shanahan does go to the HOF (or when, whatever), will they put up a picture of his face? Or will they just put up a picture of a rat as to not scare the pop-warners going there to learn about the game?

Moooo

Douche Baggins
06-08-2006, 03:17 AM
I don't think Mike has stamped his HOF ticket just yet. Until he wins another SB he's just going to be seen as the guy riding Elway's coattails.

Mile High Mania
06-08-2006, 05:58 AM
I don't think Mike has stamped his HOF ticket just yet. Until he wins another SB he's just going to be seen as the guy riding Elway's coattails.

Right, b/c before Shanahan came in and put a team around Elway with a running game... they were so successful in the Reeve's era winning SB's.

Elway got 'em there without Shanahan... but, they couldn't win it until he came in and put a good team on the field.

Douche Baggins
06-08-2006, 06:03 AM
Yeah, but I still don't buy the fact that those SBs alone get Shanahan into the Super Bowl. It's not like Mike was blowing teams out in the playoffs every year. Elway made a huge, huge difference.

Saulbadguy
06-08-2006, 06:05 AM
No, it will be shot down because it is stupid.

Mile High Mania
06-08-2006, 06:14 AM
Yeah, but I still don't buy the fact that those SBs alone get Shanahan into the Super Bowl. It's not like Mike was blowing teams out in the playoffs every year. Elway made a huge, huge difference.That's a weird comment. So, margin of victory is a factor for a coach? There are some pretty decent thumpings below in the 2 year SB run. Don't forget the record setting three year run from 1996-1998, they piled up stats and wins that no team had accomplished before them.

Bottom line... since 1995, in 11 seasons, Shanahan has dominated.
7 double digit win seasons - 7 trips to the playoffs. Only two seasons with less than 9 wins.

Shanahan has a record of 122-74 lifetime, with 8-5 in the playoffs.

If I looked at it right, Shanahan is 19th all time in wins by a coach and with 8 wins this year, he will leap to the top 12. Enjoy.

+--------+-------------------------------+----------+---------+
| Week | Opponent | Result | Score |
| 1 | Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/kan1997.htm) | W | 19- 3 |
| 2 | at Seattle Seahawks (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/sea1997.htm) | W | 35-14 |
| 3 | St. Louis Rams (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/ram1997.htm) | W | 35-14 |
| 4 | Cincinnati Bengals (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/cin1997.htm) | W | 38-20 |
| 5 | at Atlanta Falcons (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/atl1997.htm) | W | 29-21 |
| 6 | New England Patriots (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/nwe1997.htm) | W | 34-13 |
| 7 | |
| 8 | at Oakland Raiders (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/rai1997.htm) | L | 25-28 |
| 9 | at Buffalo Bills (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/buf1997.htm) | W | 23-20 |
| 10 | Seattle Seahawks (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/sea1997.htm) | W | 30-27 |
| 11 | Carolina Panthers (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/car1997.htm) | W | 34- 0 |
| 12 | at Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/kan1997.htm) | L | 22-24 |
| 13 | Oakland Raiders (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/rai1997.htm) | W | 31- 3 |
| 14 | at San Diego Chargers (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/sdg1997.htm) | W | 38-28 |
| 15 | at Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/pit1997.htm) | L | 24-35 |
| 16 | at San Francisco 49ers (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/sfo1997.htm) | L | 17-34 |
| 17 | San Diego Chargers (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/sdg1997.htm) | W | 38- 3 |

Postseason

AFC Wildcard Game: won 42 - 17 vs. Jacksonville Jaguars (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/jax1997.htm)
AFC Divisional Playoff: won 14 - 10 at Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/kan1997.htm)
AFC Championship Game: won 24 - 21 at Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/pit1997.htm)
Super Bowl: won 31 - 24 at Green Bay Packers (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/gnb1997.htm)

| Week | Opponent | Result | Score |
| 1 | New England Patriots (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/nwe1998.htm) | W | 27-21 |
| 2 | Dallas Cowboys (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/dal1998.htm) | W | 42-23 |
| 3 | at Oakland Raiders (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/rai1998.htm) | W | 34-17 |
| 4 | at Washington Redskins (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/was1998.htm) | W | 38-16 |
| 5 | Philadelphia Eagles (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/phi1998.htm) | W | 41-16 |
| 6 | at Seattle Seahawks (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/sea1998.htm) | W | 21-16 |
| 7 | |
| 8 | Jacksonville Jaguars (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/jax1998.htm) | W | 37-24 |
| 9 | at Cincinnati Bengals (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/cin1998.htm) | W | 33-26 |
| 10 | San Diego Chargers (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/sdg1998.htm) | W | 27-10 |
| 11 | at Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/kan1998.htm) | W | 30- 7 |
| 12 | Oakland Raiders (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/rai1998.htm) | W | 40-14 |
| 13 | at San Diego Chargers (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/sdg1998.htm) | W | 31-16 |
| 14 | Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/kan1998.htm) | W | 35-31 |
| 15 | at New York Giants (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/nyg1998.htm) | L | 16-20 |
| 16 | at Miami Dolphins (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/mia1998.htm) | L | 21-31 |
| 17 | Seattle Seahawks (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/sea1998.htm) | W | 28-21 |

Postseason

AFC Divisional Playoff: won 38 - 3 vs. Miami Dolphins (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/mia1998.htm)
AFC Championship Game: won 23 - 10 vs. New York Jets (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/nyj1998.htm)
Super Bowl: won 34 - 19 at Atlanta Falcons (http://www.profootballreference.com/teams/atl1998.htm)

Douche Baggins
06-08-2006, 07:04 AM
That's a weird comment. So, margin of victory is a factor for a coach?

In the PLAYOFFS. If he was a HOF coach, with Elway, he would have been destroying people. He's been pretty much helpless with other quarterbacks in the playoffs.

Bottom line, he hasn't accomplished much without him. If he won another Super Bowl he'd be a shoo-in, though.

CupidStunt
06-08-2006, 11:41 AM

Your opinion stated above would be shot down on just about every general NFL board out there.

Davis was a good back, and at times great, but is barely worthy of HOF consideration.

Holmes? He won't sniff it, even if his retirement home is a block away from Canton itself.

Dave Lane
06-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Well Priest still is active so I think that gives him the edge.

Dave

Ari Chi3fs
06-08-2006, 02:40 PM
most likely Terdell Davis would get in before Priest... having said that, I voted for Priest.