PDA

View Full Version : Would the Priest even be making an effort to come back...

cmh6476
06-06-2006, 08:16 AM
if he didnt need to get on the field for his contract extension to kick-in?

Reading between the lines, it seems to me like that might be his only incentive this season. And I feel that he's going to do everything in his power to make that happen. But is there anything more than that driving him to play?

jspchief
06-06-2006, 08:22 AM
What are the details of his contract? I didn't realize they were public knowledge.

cmh6476
06-06-2006, 08:27 AM
What are the details of his contract? I didn't realize they were public knowledge.
Not sure of the exact details, but when the Chiefs worked a deal for him they gave him a contract extension I believe, not actually reworking the current one. So this season is the 1st of his new deal, and in order for it to kick in he needs to get on the field I believe. Otherwise the Chiefs are entitled to ask for some of his signing bonus back, from what I understand.

jspchief
06-06-2006, 08:37 AM
I never remember anything in print about Holmes' contract. Someone determined that he had changed his contract based on changing base salary numbers from the NFLPA site. I don't think anyone ever came out and said what actually took place.

Point being, I think you're doing a lot of speculatiing. which I guess goes hand in hand with your speculation that money is the only thing that drives Priest Holmes.

But to answer the question in the thread title, I think what you're suggesting is a possibility. But I also think it could be the same thing that motivated him to return from numerous other injuries throughout his college and pro career.

Besides, if it really is a neck injury that should keep him out of the game, I doubt he's going to take that risk even for a few million dollars. If the injury isn't what is keeping him back, then I think it's his perogative to return to the game regardless off motive, and Chiefs fans should be glad to have someone of his talent on the roster.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Sure he wants to get paid, he's made that clear before. He's also a competitor though and I'm sure he feels he still has something to offer on the field. No one wants to go out on anything but their own terms.

Brock
06-06-2006, 08:53 AM
I'd guess it's all about the money, just like all the other players in the NFL. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

jspchief
06-06-2006, 08:55 AM
I'd guess it's all about the money, just like all the other players in the NFL. It's nothing to be ashamed of.Yea, and if you actually think about it, what was the motivation of the Chiefs' front office when they restructured his contract? Money. gasp

cmh6476
06-06-2006, 09:05 AM
I'd guess it's all about the money, just like all the other players in the NFL. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Yeah, I'm not doggin him for it. As a fan I want to see him return, even if it is for the money. :thumb:

ChiTown
06-06-2006, 09:09 AM
This may be harsh, but I couldn't care less whether he comes back or not. I don't get emotionally attached to players on "my team" like I used to.

jspchief
06-06-2006, 09:13 AM
This may be harsh, but I couldn't care less whether he comes back or not. I don't get emotionally attached to players on "my team" like I used to.You don't have to have an emotional attachment to wish for the return of Priest Holmes. He'd be the best backup RB in the league, and there's a handful of teams that he'd start for.

What football fan in their right mind wouldn't want him on their team?

Mile High Mania
06-06-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm sure $ might play a role, but I imagine a player like PH has that burning desire to play. I think several teams would be trigger happy to give him a chance to start, but his health recently isn't pointing to him being a 16 game starter anymore. That being said - he's a hell of an insurance policy and would be great in a RBBC type of scheme.

Just think how badass the Rams could have been had they used Jackson and Faulk well last year. KC could be really doing well if PH can take 8-10 carries a game, giving LJ 18-22.

sedated
06-06-2006, 09:22 AM
He ain't coming back.

Accept it.

ChiTown
06-06-2006, 09:23 AM
You don't have to have an emotional attachment to wish for the return of Priest Holmes. He'd be the best backup RB in the league, and there's a handful of teams that he'd start for.

What football fan in their right mind wouldn't want him on their team?

No doubt, he'd be the leagues best backup RB.

StcChief
06-06-2006, 09:25 AM
He ain't coming back.

Accept it.Agree. Highly unlikely. Spine neck injury....

QGriffin or someone as backup for a few handoffs or decoys a game.

htismaqe
06-06-2006, 12:05 PM
He's gonna do just enough to get his up-front money.

jspchief
06-06-2006, 12:06 PM
He's gonna do just enough to get his up-front money.:rolleyes:

htismaqe
06-06-2006, 12:20 PM
:rolleyes:

What's wrong with telling the truth?

jspchief
06-06-2006, 12:28 PM
What's wrong with telling the truth?Well, as of right now it's not the truth, it's speculation. You've been spouting this crap since the end of last season, altering your claim as the situation changes.

What happened to it getting ugly? It didn't appear to be too ugly when the two sides agreed on a contract renegotiation.

Obviously, you don't like Holmes and you're convinced that he's some evil crook. I guess the only thing I'll say is the team allowed themselves to be in this situation. So either he outsmarted them, or they know what they are doing.

I'm just growing tired of people trashing Holmes based on nothing but speculation. All the guy ever did was give KC 100% of himself, and he somehow gets villified simply because of injuries and the drafting of another RB.

Mr. Laz
06-06-2006, 12:31 PM
What's wrong with telling the truth?
because it's too negative and makes people feel bad

feel free to make all the positive speculations you want though :thumb:

htismaqe
06-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Well, as of right now it's not the truth, it's speculation. You've been spouting this crap since the end of last season, altering your claim as the situation changes.

What happened to it getting ugly? It didn't appear to be too ugly when the two sides agreed on a contract renegotiation.

Obviously, you don't like Holmes and you're convinced that he's some evil crook. I guess the only thing I'll say is the team allowed themselves to be in this situation. So either he outsmarted them, or they know what they are doing.

I'm just growing tired of people trashing Holmes based on nothing but speculation. All the guy ever did was give KC 100% of himself, and he somehow gets villified simply because of injuries and the drafting of another RB.

I haven't changed my claim one time. Not once. So try again.

I happen to know someone that's close to the situation and nothing has changed.

What happened to it getting ugly? We're not there yet, so I don't know. We don't actually not that anything was renegotiated. In the meantime, Priest is still shopping around looking for a prognosis that fits his needs.

Obviously, you've completely missed the point. I've got nothing against Holmes. I'm just not going to put him on a pedestal. Everybody spent his first 2 seasons here falling all over the guy because he was such a soft-spoken gentleman that wasn't like all the other NFL guys. Turns out those people were wrong. He IS just like everybody else. He wants to get paid. I never said there's anything wrong with that.

I'm not trashing Holmes. Obviously, there must be some air of truth to it all or you wouldn't get so defensive about it.

jspchief
06-06-2006, 12:35 PM
because it's too negative and makes people feel bad

feel free to make all the positive speculations you want though :thumb:I'll agree with the positive versus negative notion. But I don't see how anyone can claim it as "truth" at this point.

It might be different if htis hadn't been altering his predictions for the last 6 months. But that, coupled with his admitted dislike of Holmes make it all come off as just petty BS.

jspchief
06-06-2006, 12:40 PM
I haven't changed my claim one time. Not once. So try again.
Bullshit. Your original claim was that he was getting his own doctor's opinion saying he couldn't play so he wouldn't have to pay back his signing bonus. If that's the case, why did the Chiefs FO renegotiate, essentially giving him more guaranteed money?

As for getting defensive, I'll admit I get defensive when I see this shit about Holmes. The guy hasn't done a damn thing to deserve the accusations that some people are levying.

Mr. Laz
06-06-2006, 12:43 PM
I'll agree with the positive versus negative notion. But I don't see how anyone can claim it as "truth" at this point.

It might be different if htis hadn't been altering his predictions for the last 6 months. But that, coupled with his admitted dislike of Holmes make it all come off as just petty BS.
never said it was the truth or not ... just that positive vs negative speculation is often handled is completely different ways.

just like something is classified negative/whiny as much by the subject matter of the comment as it is the comment itself.

ie:

Elvis grbac, the chiefs quarterback, sucks (negative and whiny)

Elvis grbac, the baltimore quarterback, sucks (genious)

greg63
06-06-2006, 12:45 PM
I like Holmes too, and hope that he comes back, but I also do believe that both sides will ultimately position themselves for the worst should it come to that; I don't think that makes him or the FO necessarily bad. JMHO

htismaqe
06-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Bullshit. Your original claim was that he was getting his own doctor's opinion saying he couldn't play so he wouldn't have to pay back his signing bonus. If that's the case, why did the Chiefs FO renegotiate, essentially giving him more guaranteed money?

As for getting defensive, I'll admit I get defensive when I see this shit about Holmes. The guy hasn't done a damn thing to deserve the accusations that some people are levying.

He's STILL SEEING doctors.

As for the FO negotiating, produce something that says they did. Changed number on the NFLPA website don't prove anything because we have no idea what goes into them.

And finally, the fact that you call them "accusations" says it all. Nobody is ACCUSING HIM of anything, other than being HUMAN. Heaven forbid if I'm not one of the "Saint Priest" crowd.

htismaqe
06-06-2006, 06:42 PM
never said it was the truth or not ... just that positive vs negative speculation is often handled is completely different ways.

just like something is classified negative/whiny as much by the subject matter of the comment as it is the comment itself.

ie:

Elvis grbac, the chiefs quarterback, sucks (negative and whiny)

Elvis grbac, the baltimore quarterback, sucks (genious)

Elvis Grbac, the Chiefs QB, sucks = negative and whiny

Elvis Grbac, the Chiefs QB, sucks because he throws too many interceptions and shys away from contact = genious

the Talking Can
06-06-2006, 07:00 PM
my thoughts on Priest's 810 interview today...every single word of it was self-serving...personally, I'm tired of his adolescent catch-me-if-you-can response to questions about his future with the team....just give him the money and let him go, that's all he wants...

"priest was talking out of both sides of his mouth...the guy can not just answer a question...he said 13 different times, "I'm definetly coming back........maybe"

I got sick of listening to him. He can back up LJ if he wants but he isn't getting a 1000 yards...he made a joke at one point about insurance policies paying well - he was talking about his contract and making it clear he wasn't going to retire while getting paid...Shiteman laughed hysterically...because it was the only honest thing he said, imho..."

JBucc
06-06-2006, 07:04 PM
my thoughts on Priest's 810 interview today...every single word of it was self-serving...personally, I'm tired of his adolescent catch-me-if-you-can response to questions about his future with the team....just give him the money and let him go, that's all he wants...

"priest was talking out of both sides of his mouth...the guy can not just answer a question...he said 13 different times, "I'm definetly coming back........maybe"

I got sick of listening to him. He can back up LJ if he wants but he isn't getting a 1000 yards...he made a joke at one point about insurance policies paying well - he was talking about his contract and making it clear he wasn't going to retire while getting paid...Shiteman laughed hysterically...because it was the only honest thing he said, imho..."You might want to post this here:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=141884&page=2