PDA

View Full Version : It's Now Or Never for Sims

The Poz
06-06-2006, 08:45 AM
It's Now Or Never for Sims

By: Jeffrey Rake
Warpaint Illustrated Columnist
Date: Jun 6, 2006

If Kansas City Chiefs’ defensive tackle Ryan Sims is to ever sign a high-dollar contract in the NFL again, he’ll have to do something that he hasn’t done in his four seasons with the Chiefs: Play at a consistently high level.

Sims is entering the fifth year of a seven-year rookie contract that he signed in 2002 after the Chiefs selected him with the sixth pick in the first round.

When Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson drafted Sims, he thought he was getting a player that would demand double teams from opposing offensive lines. He thought he was getting a space-eater and a guy that would explode off the line of scrimmage and plug gaps with his 6-foot-4, 315-pound frame.

So far Sims has failed to live up those expectations. After showing up to mini-camp last month a few pounds overweight, you have to wonder if he’ll ever develop the work ethic and drive that’s necessary to become a successful player.

The problem with Sims is that he has been impossible to motivate. Former coach Dick Vermeil was unable to get through to him during his tenure. When Sims arrived to his first training camp, Vermeil called Sims “fat and out of shape.”

Many fans and media have already started knocking him this off-season. By now, the words “Ryan Sims” and “bust” are practically synonymous.

While his play is usually uninspiring, he has shown flashes of brilliance. During a three-game stretch in 2003, Sims had 14 tackles, three sacks and a forced fumble.

Unfortunately, he hasn’t been able to maintain that type of production and is usually mired in mediocrity. He takes too many plays off and has more disappearing acts than a magician.

It doesn’t take a football guru to realize that Sims’ energy level drops over the course of a game. More often than not, he gets pushed around in the fourth quarter and shows signs of fatigue.

Again, he has been able to make some big plays (think back to the Denver game at Arrowhead in 2003, when Sims made a game-saving tackle on third down against running back Clinton Portis), but too often he is a liability.

He doesn’t pressure the quarterback the way he did as a three-year starter at the University of North Carolina. He has just five sacks in his entire career.

So how can the Chiefs get Sims to realize his potential?

Head coach Herman Edwards and his staff shouldn’t take the approach that Vermeil tried.

Vermeil was a huge critic of running back Larry Johnson and often used the media to try and get his point across. He questioned Johnson’s character and moved him behind Derrick Blaylock on the depth chart. Vermeil’s plan worked to perfection, as Johnson tried hard to prove himself and had a breakout season in 2005.

The same approach didn’t work for Sims, a player that clearly frustrated Vermeil despite the work he put in last season to return from a foot injury.

If Vermeil were still coaching the Chiefs, he probably would have had a few negative comments about Sims arriving to mini-camp a few pounds overweight. But Edwards seems to be taking a positive approach with Sims.

“I’m not worried about him,” Edwards said. “Some big guys in the off-season, they gain a couple of extra pounds. He’s a pro … he’ll get down to where he needs to play again.”

The Chiefs are also hoping that their new defensive line coach, Tim Krumrie, can light a spark. Krumrie has a reputation around the league as being a fiery, hands-on coach. If he can’t get Sims excited about playing football then nobody can.

Monkeylook4food
06-06-2006, 08:48 AM

By: Jeffrey Rake
Warpaint Illustrated Columnist

That's all I needed to read. I'm sure everything else sucked. STOP SPAMMING!!!!!11ONEONEONE

Rain Man
06-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Wow. Where was I during those three games in 2003 when he actually showed up? I don't remember that at all.

I hope Krumrie can light a fire under him.

ChiTown
06-06-2006, 08:50 AM
That's all I needed to read. I'm sure everything else sucked. STOP SPAMMING!!!!!11ONEONEONE

lol.

stfu, noobia.

cookster50
06-06-2006, 08:50 AM

Crap, I read the article before seeing that. I feel dirty.

Monkeylook4food
06-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Wow. Where was I during those three games in 2003 when he actually showed up? I don't remember that at all.

I hope Krumrie can light a fire under him.It was just before his injury (obviously). Krumrie is intense and he's a hands on coach. I'm impressed with the guy thus far. But, what do I know?

The Poz
06-06-2006, 08:53 AM
It was just before his injury (obviously). Krumrie is intense and he's a hands on coach. I'm impressed with the guy thus far. But, what do I know?
Oh, did you decide to read the article now?

Moooo
06-06-2006, 08:54 AM
This is the reason you never draft a player who was the second best on his college line. This is also the same reason I'm glad we didn't get Manny Lawson.

Moooo

hypersensitiveZO6
06-06-2006, 08:57 AM
Damnit Carl! :cuss:

1 Houston David Carr QB Fresno State
2 Carolina Julius Peppers DE North Carolina
3 Detroit Joey Harrington QB Oregon
4 Buffalo Mike Williams T Texas
5 San Diego Quentin Jammer CB Texas
6 Kansas City Ryan Sims DT North Carolina
7 Minnesota Bryant McKinnie T Miami
8 Dallas Roy Williams SS Oklahoma
9 Jacksonville John Henderson DT Tennessee
10 Cincinnati Levi Jones T Arizona State
11 Indianapolis Dwight Freeney DE Syracuse
12 Arizona Wendell Bryant DT Wisconsin
13 New Orleans Donte' Stallworth WR Tennessee
14 N.Y. Giants Jeremy Shockey TE Miami
15 Tennessee Albert Haynesworth DT Tennessee
16 Cleveland William Green RB Boston College
17 Oakland Phillip Buchanon CB Miami
18 Atlanta T.J. Duckett RB Michigan State
19 Denver Ashley Lelie WR Hawaii
20 Green Bay Javon Walker WR Florida State
21 New England Daniel Graham TE Colorado
22 N.Y. Jets Bryan Thomas DE Ala.-Birmingham
23 Oakland Napoleon Harris OLB Northwestern
24 Baltimore Ed Reed SS Miami
25 New Orleans Charles Grant DE Georgia
26 Philadelphia Lito Sheppard CB Florida
27 San Francisco Mike Rumph FS Miami
28 Seattle Jerramy Stevens TE Washington
29 Chicago Marc Colombo T Boston College
30 Pittsburgh Kendall Simmons G Auburn
31 St. Louis Robert Thomas OLB UCLA
32 Washington Patrick Ramsey QB Tulane

FringeNC
06-06-2006, 09:00 AM
“I’m not worried about him,” Edwards said.

Well you should be unless you have completely written him off as a starter.

Monkeylook4food
06-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Oh, did you decide to read the article now?
Of course I read it. The Warpaint editorializing was sarcasm from me.

SLAG
06-06-2006, 09:02 AM

you could have Bolded Roy Williams , Donte' Stallworth,

Moooo
06-06-2006, 09:02 AM

You can't do that. For every name on there there are tons of others in the same positions that didn't live up to their pick... William Green, Albert Haynesworth, there are quite a few names on that list that faded into mediocrity...

Moooo

hypersensitiveZO6
06-06-2006, 09:03 AM

Sorry, its that sort of morning.

KCTitus
06-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Damnit Carl!

Yeah, hindsight is fun...

stevieray
06-06-2006, 09:06 AM
I agree with the last line of the article.

hypersensitiveZO6
You can't do that. For every name on there there are tons of others in the same positions that didn't live up to their pick... William Green, Albert Haynesworth, there are quite a few names on that list that faded into mediocrity...

Moooo

I understand that, but it still makes you wonder what Carl was thinking.

shakesthecat
Meh....Nothing we don't already know.

Moooo
06-06-2006, 09:10 AM
I understand that, but it still makes you wonder what Carl was thinking.

We were telling him to get a DT, if I remember. And so he did. If he had gotten someone like Ed Reed, we'd have been like, "WTF!?!"

Just keep in mind what he did with is first pick the next year, and it kind of makes up for it, no? And if the bad picks are his fault, the good picks are his fault too...

Moooo

JBucc
06-06-2006, 09:12 AM
And sadly he's probably our best DT

KCTitus
06-06-2006, 09:12 AM

Moooo

LOL...I think someone needs to study his Lexicon.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-06-2006, 09:19 AM
We were telling him to get a DT, if I remember. And so he did. If he had gotten someone like Ed Reed, we'd have been like, "WTF!?!"

Just keep in mind what he did with is first pick the next year, and it kind of makes up for it, no? And if the bad picks are his fault, the good picks are his fault too...

Moooo

Until we win a playoff game, Peterson's ass is on the wall. He has been in KC for years and been unsuccussful in producing playoff winning teams. Until we win a playoff game, every draft pick, FA decision, beer prices, etc will be questioned and complained at.

Yes, WTF is very necessary.

Brock
06-06-2006, 09:20 AM

Stallworth sucks.

morphius
06-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Vermeil was a huge critic of running back Larry Johnson and often used the media to try and get his point across. He questioned Johnson’s character and moved him behind Derrick Blaylock on the depth chart. Vermeil’s plan worked to perfection, as Johnson tried hard to prove himself and had a breakout season in 2005.

I think it is giving Vermeil way too much credit to say that he planned for LJ to explode like he did.

Moooo
06-06-2006, 09:22 AM
LOL...I think someone needs to study his Lexicon.

?

Moooo

Moooo
06-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Until we win a playoff game, Peterson's ass is on the wall. He has been in KC for years and been unsuccussful in producing playoff winning teams. Until we win a playoff game, every draft pick, FA decision, beer prices, etc will be questioned and complained at.

Yes, WTF is very necessary.

That's fine by me, just realize it invalidates your response when you don't do so critically. You're making him seem like a scapegoat for the Chiefs problems, not a poor GM who needs to go.

Moooo

KCTitus
06-06-2006, 09:33 AM
?

Moooo

Below is the Lexicon which has been developed by those that speak like Hyperlite as all knowing sages as to why picks/FA's and trades have failed...becuase of Carl.

1. Pissed Away - Any draft pick traded by KC
2. Wasted/Reach - Any draft pick used by KC to select a player
3. QBOTF - Any QB taken in the first 5 rounds of the draft, by any NFL franchise other than KC.
4. QB Bust - Any QB taken in any round of the draft by KC
5. Draft pick 'value' chart - A ruse by Carl planted in the media to 'justify' the Ryan Sims trade up in 2002.
6. Waste of Cap Dollars - Any FA that KC picks up
7. Cap Friendly Contract - Any contract signed by a FA to an NFL Franchise other than KC
8. Overpaid - Any trade, FA, draft pick signing made by KC
9. Good Cap Mgmt - Any trade, FA, draft pick signing made by any NFL franchise other than KC
10. Blind Homer - Any Chiefs fan that finds any 'good' value in any FA, draft pick, trade that KC makes. Can also include those who celebrate Chiefs victories during a losing season.
11. High on Pot/Heroine/Crack... - See Blind Homer.
12. The System - the reason why high quality players are cut from KC in favor of 'Waste of Cap Dollars' FA's or 'Wastes/Reaches'
13. High Profile College Prospects - Undrafted Free Agents that were not signed by KC
14. College Nobodies - Undrafted Free Agents signed by KC
15. gloom, despair, agony on me - a thread bemoaning the end of the upcoming KC season that's over 3-9 months away or just prior to the seasons start.
16. Dont question my fandom! - the flame war that ensues after a blind homer/High on Crack/Pot/Heroine posts in a 'gloom, despair, agony on me' thread.
17. Agressive-win now approach - When any other NFL franchise other than KC signs a veteran FA.
18. Short-sighted - When KC signs a veteran FA.
19. NFL Caliber Talent - something KC does not have, especially at 'key' positions, that all other NFL Franchises are teeming with.
20. Get Lucky - What caused FA, draft pick, traded player to have a 'good' season. b) Could also be the cause of a playoff win or SB win.
21. Good Season - Something that doesnt happen to the KC franchise.
22. Moron - Any of the numerous members of the Chiefs organization. Examples include: Dick Vermiel and Carl Peterson. b)Can also be used to identify a blind homer in a gloom, despair, agony on me thread
23. Winning the Lottery- What happens if a coach or player currently with KC had played in and won the SB with a another NFL franchise. This term will also be used to describe a KC SB winning season. See also 'Get Lucky'
24. The Profile - A mythical paradigm usually used as an excuse by the Chief's front office as a reason for not signing an impact free agent in their continued attempt to keep the team mediocre and fill the seats of Arrowhead stadium.
25. Prolific Success - KC going .500 with Gunther and Stooges or Marty
26. Decent Contract Offer - A contract not offered by Carl to sign a player in time for Training Camp. See Also Overpaid
27. Attempting to get better - Any FA signing by any NFL club other than KC. See also Agressive-win now approach
28. Minion/Cannon Fodder - See Blind Homer.
29. Valid Rumor - Any speculation on how Carl Peterson almost screwed up a draft pick/trade/FA Acquisition.
30. Realistic Report - A press report from mini-camp/training camp that says nothing good about the rookies progress or previous wasted draft picks of the Chiefs.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Below is the Lexicon which has been developed by those that speak like Hyperlite as all knowing sages as to why picks/FA's and trades have failed...becuase of Carl.

1. Pissed Away - Any draft pick traded by KC
2. Wasted/Reach - Any draft pick used by KC to select a player
3. QBOTF - Any QB taken in the first 5 rounds of the draft, by any NFL franchise other than KC.
4. QB Bust - Any QB taken in any round of the draft by KC
5. Draft pick 'value' chart - A ruse by Carl planted in the media to 'justify' the Ryan Sims trade up in 2002.
6. Waste of Cap Dollars - Any FA that KC picks up
7. Cap Friendly Contract - Any contract signed by a FA to an NFL Franchise other than KC
8. Overpaid - Any trade, FA, draft pick signing made by KC
9. Good Cap Mgmt - Any trade, FA, draft pick signing made by any NFL franchise other than KC
10. Blind Homer - Any Chiefs fan that finds any 'good' value in any FA, draft pick, trade that KC makes. Can also include those who celebrate Chiefs victories during a losing season.
11. High on Pot/Heroine/Crack... - See Blind Homer.
12. The System - the reason why high quality players are cut from KC in favor of 'Waste of Cap Dollars' FA's or 'Wastes/Reaches'
13. High Profile College Prospects - Undrafted Free Agents that were not signed by KC
14. College Nobodies - Undrafted Free Agents signed by KC
15. gloom, despair, agony on me - a thread bemoaning the end of the upcoming KC season that's over 3-9 months away or just prior to the seasons start.
16. Dont question my fandom! - the flame war that ensues after a blind homer/High on Crack/Pot/Heroine posts in a 'gloom, despair, agony on me' thread.
17. Agressive-win now approach - When any other NFL franchise other than KC signs a veteran FA.
18. Short-sighted - When KC signs a veteran FA.
19. NFL Caliber Talent - something KC does not have, especially at 'key' positions, that all other NFL Franchises are teeming with.
20. Get Lucky - What caused FA, draft pick, traded player to have a 'good' season. b) Could also be the cause of a playoff win or SB win.
21. Good Season - Something that doesnt happen to the KC franchise.
22. Moron - Any of the numerous members of the Chiefs organization. Examples include: Dick Vermiel and Carl Peterson. b)Can also be used to identify a blind homer in a gloom, despair, agony on me thread
23. Winning the Lottery- What happens if a coach or player currently with KC had played in and won the SB with a another NFL franchise. This term will also be used to describe a KC SB winning season. See also 'Get Lucky'
24. The Profile - A mythical paradigm usually used as an excuse by the Chief's front office as a reason for not signing an impact free agent in their continued attempt to keep the team mediocre and fill the seats of Arrowhead stadium.
25. Prolific Success - KC going .500 with Gunther and Stooges or Marty
26. Decent Contract Offer - A contract not offered by Carl to sign a player in time for Training Camp. See Also Overpaid
27. Attempting to get better - Any FA signing by any NFL club other than KC. See also Agressive-win now approach
28. Minion/Cannon Fodder - See Blind Homer.
29. Valid Rumor - Any speculation on how Carl Peterson almost screwed up a draft pick/trade/FA Acquisition.
30. Realistic Report - A press report from mini-camp/training camp that says nothing good about the rookies progress or previous wasted draft picks of the Chiefs.

Thankyou, KCTitus. I'm new to CP, but my Carl hate started years ago.

BTW, I enjoy your avatar. I might search for my old Genesis.

Hyperlite

KCTitus
06-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Thankyou, KCTitus. I'm new to CP, but my Carl hate started years ago.

BTW, I enjoy your avatar. I might search for my old Genesis.

Hyperlite

No problem...you're in the right place if you want to bash Carl.

I'd really like to find a Shadow animated gif, but have so far been unsuccessful.

jspchief
06-06-2006, 10:23 AM
I think it is giving Vermeil way too much credit to say that he planned for LJ to explode like he did.I agree. I'm tired of hearing bout that situation like Vermeil applied som zen psychology on LJ. All Vermeil did was rob LJ and Chiefs fans of great football with his ridiculous loyalty to Blaylock.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-06-2006, 10:39 AM
No problem...you're in the right place if you want to bash Carl.

I'd really like to find a Shadow animated gif, but have so far been unsuccessful.

If you find one, let me know! :thumb:

htismaqe
06-06-2006, 11:08 AM

Moooo

Read your Lexicon.

Drafting Sims = :cuss:

Drafting a position other than DT = :cuss:

It doesn't matter what Carl does.

TRR
06-06-2006, 11:14 AM
I wanted big John Henderson from the start. He was the most productive DT in the draft that year, and the Chiefs didn't draft him because of a "so-called" back problem. Peterson could have solved both problems by drafting a DT in John Henderson.

Oh well.

StcChief
06-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Hasn't it been now or never for Sims for awhile.....

He just gets hurt and out for the year?

keg in kc
06-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Good read, except for the "Unfortunately, he hasn’t been able to maintain that type of production and is usually mired in mediocrity. He takes too many plays off and has more disappearing acts than a magician" line in the middle. Gotta watch those clichés. One thing on a bulletin board, something else entirely in a professionally produced article.

JMO of course.

Either way, this is Sim's bust year. Last call. Hopefully the lure of free agent dollars can motivate him enough to get us something out of the pick.

FringeNC
06-06-2006, 11:17 AM
I agree. I'm tired of hearing bout that situation like Vermeil applied som zen psychology on LJ. All Vermeil did was rob LJ and Chiefs fans of great football with his ridiculous loyalty to Blaylock.

Blaylock's yard per carry was pretty damn good, plus he knew the pass protection schemes. Our offense hardly imploded with Blaylock in there.

ct
06-06-2006, 11:18 AM
lol.

stfu, noobia.

Heh, I think we have a new entry into the Lexicon.

MahiMike
06-06-2006, 11:19 AM

I hope Krumrie can light a fire under him.

You couldn't light a fire under Sims with kerosene and a blow torch... :banghead:

ct
06-06-2006, 11:20 AM

Does anyone else find this as amusing as me?

htismaqe
06-06-2006, 11:22 AM
I wanted big John Henderson from the start. He was the most productive DT in the draft that year, and the Chiefs didn't draft him because of a "so-called" back problem. Peterson could have solved both problems by drafting a DT in John Henderson.

Oh well.

John Henderson plays next to one of the top 2 or 3 DT's in the game - Marcus Stroud.

Sims has played next to stalwarts like Derrick Ransom.

keg in kc
06-06-2006, 11:22 AM
John Henderson plays next to one of the top 2 or 3 DT's in the game - Marcus Stroud.That's no excuse. Homer.

StcChief
06-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Good read, except for the "Unfortunately, he hasn’t been able to maintain that type of production and is usually mired in mediocrity. He takes too many plays off and has more disappearing acts than a magician" line in the middle. Gotta watch those clichés. One thing on a bulletin board, something else entirely in a professionally produced article.

JMO of course.

Either way, this is Sim's bust year. Last call. Hopefully the lure of free agent dollars can motivate him enough to get us something out of the pick.

Yeah. Have a career year now. Help us into playoffs, Win...

Let him walk as a FA pick a first/second/third rounder....
How many teams will go for that? We can hope.
:rolleyes:

KCTitus
06-06-2006, 11:23 AM
That's no excuse. Homer.

No kidding...that's eerily similar to the WR excuse people used to try to use for Green.

htismaqe
06-06-2006, 11:25 AM
That's no excuse. Homer.

ROFL

keg in kc
06-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Yeah. Have a career year now. Help us into playoffs, Win...

Let him walk as a FA pick a first/second/third rounder....
How many teams will go for that? We can hope.
:rolleyes:That's pretty much it. Hope for a monster year and a compensatory pick in '07.

Hammock Parties
06-06-2006, 11:26 AM
I'm glad this is such a hit. :)

ct
06-06-2006, 11:27 AM
John Henderson plays next to one of the top 2 or 3 DT's in the game - Marcus Stroud.

Sims has played next to stalwarts like Derrick Ransom.

Marcus Stroud, taken 1 pick after our traded 1st rounder to St. Louis, who took Damione Lewis instead. OUCH!

[edit] Not that I regret getting Trent Green, just that Dickie had such a Woody for him, that we had to overpay with a 1st instead of at most a 2nd. We quite possibly could have had Stroud, and not been so desperate to take Sims a year later, trading a 3rd to move up just to get him!! DAMNIT CARL...er...DICK!! :cuss:

keg in kc
06-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Tamba Hali kicking Eric Hicks to the curb could help Sims as much as anything. If it happens.

htismaqe
06-06-2006, 11:28 AM
That's pretty much it. Hope for a monster year and a compensatory pick in '07.

He won't be a URFA unless we outright cut him. Signed through 09.

Salary History

2002 1340000.00
2003 300000.00
2004 535000.00
2005 832000.00
2006 1567000.00
2007 1901000.00
2008 1834000.00
2009 2000000.00

htismaqe
06-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Marcus Stroud, taken 1 pick after our traded 1st rounder to St. Louis, who took Damione Lewis instead. OUCH!

Yep.

htismaqe
06-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Tamba Hali kicking Eric Hicks to the curb could help Sims as much as anything. If it happens.

Yep.

StcChief
06-06-2006, 11:30 AM
He won't be a URFA unless we outright cut him. Signed through 09.

Salary History

2002 1340000.00
2003 300000.00
2004 535000.00
2005 832000.00
2006 1567000.00
2007 1901000.00
2008 1834000.00
2009 2000000.00We are screwed unless we trade him.
So get your stock up Sims...
:p

hypersensitiveZO6
06-06-2006, 11:31 AM

Tamba and Ryan will create a rap CD. ROFL

ct
06-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Parker is feeling very agreeable today! Somebody got laid last night, would be my guess! Otherwise, the Planet is in more trouble than I thought!!

ct
06-06-2006, 11:36 AM
We are screwed unless we trade him.
So get your stock up Sims...
:p

Why are we screwed exactly?

keg in kc
06-06-2006, 11:37 AM
He won't be a URFA unless we outright cut him. Signed through 09.There is that.

This is what I get for posting while I'm working.

htismaqe
06-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Parker is feeling very agreeable today! Somebody got laid last night, would be my guess! Otherwise, the Planet is in more trouble than I thought!!

Actually, the last few days here have been rather cathartic.

keg in kc
06-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Actually, the last few days here have been rather cathartic.Porn!

Donger
06-06-2006, 11:49 AM
What a horribly written article.

jspchief
06-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Sims is getting to the point in his contract where it will start to make more sense to let him go.

Up until now, his base has been relatively cheap, and the cap hit would have been too large, so it was financially more feasible to keep him.

But now he's getting into base salaries that are reserved for top DTs, and we're far enough into his contract that the cap hit from his signing bonus is easier to swallow.

IMO, this is the make or break year for his career with the Chiefs. If he doesn't get it done, I expect him to be gone next year.

StcChief
06-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Why are we screwed exactly?
See
Sims is getting to the point in his contract where it will start to make more sense to let him go.

Up until now, his base has been relatively cheap, and the cap hit would have been too large, so it was financially more feasible to keep him.

But now he's getting into base salaries that are reserved for top DTs, and we're far enough into his contract that the cap hit from his signing bonus is easier to swallow.

IMO, this is the make or break year for his career with the Chiefs. If he doesn't get it done, I expect him to be gone next year.

He gets his stock up by having a good year (win-win situation).
We can trade him. Or take the cap hit which will be smaller.

Just as soon trade him and get something of value. Pick/ another vet player.

greg63
06-06-2006, 11:59 AM

Wasn't folks saying this last season??

rad
06-06-2006, 12:09 PM
And sadly he's probably our best DT

I think Ron Edwards is our best DT.

KCTitus
06-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Wasn't folks saying this last season??

Yes, pretty much and I think in 2004 as well.

Calcountry
06-06-2006, 01:03 PM

Yes, WTF is very necessary.You obviously are not a "real"
fan.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-06-2006, 01:10 PM
You obviously are not a "real"
fan.

Does a ''real'' fan think Ryan Sims is a good pick?

Calcountry
06-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Does a ''real'' fan think Ryan Sims is a good pick?Thats what I thought. You see, I live in California, so it is not possible for me to be a "real" fan. You would have to ask King Carl what he meant by that term.

It was not I that coined the term, perhaps you didn't notice that I had quotations arround it.

Calcountry
06-06-2006, 01:16 PM
You know, there was a greeter at the local Wal Mart the other day, that was named "Carl", it was on his name card.

I said to him, without thinking, "How goes it King Carl".

For the next 2 minutes I had this internal debate with myself if I should explain to him why I called him king. Since I am in California, I decided to keep my that whole lengthy explanation to myself.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Thats what I thought. You see, I live in California, so it is not possible for me to be a "real" fan. You would have to ask King Carl what he meant by that term.

It was not I that coined the term, perhaps you didn't notice that I had quotations arround it.

I live in KC and have season tickets. :shrug: I'm 100% supportive of the Chiefs and will scream my ass off at every game. I'm most definitely not a Carl Peterson supporter. I deal with his decisions because my love for the Chiefs is that strong. :hmmm:

hypersensitiveZO6
06-06-2006, 01:21 PM
You know, there was a greeter at the local Wal Mart the other day, that was named "Carl", it was on his name card.

I said to him, without thinking, "How goes it King Carl".

For the next 2 minutes I had this internal debate with myself if I should explain to him why I called him king. Since I am in California, I decided to keep my that whole lengthy explanation to myself.

Damn it Walmart Greeters! :cuss:

Hammock Parties
06-06-2006, 01:37 PM
What a horribly written article.

ROFL

Dave Lane
06-06-2006, 01:41 PM
It was just before his injury (obviously). Krumrie is intense and he's a hands on coach. I'm impressed with the guy thus far. But, what do I know?

You're right go back looking for food n00b! ROFL

Dave

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
06-06-2006, 01:43 PM

damn, what a year to have a high draft pick. That is a terrible 1st round draft class

Donger
06-06-2006, 01:44 PM
ROFL

What are you laughing about?

Anyway, "The same approach didn’t work for Sims, a player that clearly frustrated Vermeil despite the work he put in last season to return from a foot injury."

It should be "a player who" not "a player that."

"The Chiefs are also hoping that their new defensive line coach, Tim Krumrie, can light a spark."

Light a spark?

Hammock Parties
06-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Great. Now I'm fired.

Donger
06-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Great. Now I'm fired.

What did you do?

rad
06-06-2006, 01:47 PM
What are you laughing about?

"The Chiefs are also hoping that their new defensive line coach, Tim Krumrie, can light a spark."

Light a spark?

He meant "light a sparkler"

You know, like, for the 4th of July and stuff.

Hammock Parties
06-06-2006, 01:48 PM
What did you do?

Missed that error.

rad
What did you do?
He edited the damn thing.

Donger
Missed that error.

You wrote that piece?

Hammock Parties
06-06-2006, 01:49 PM
You wrote that piece?

No, I edited it.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Jeffrey is that you?

Donger
06-06-2006, 01:51 PM
No, I edited it.

Oh. I doubt that many people would have noticed the errors.

You know, before I pointed them out, that is.

Sorry.

RedThat
06-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Here is my opinion on Ryan Sims. Ok, first off, I don't fault the Chiefs for drafting him. You just simply can't. He was considered the best DT at the time coming out of college. So really nobody knew he was going to pan out the way he did today. And thats the draft for you. Some guys will be good, some not. But the truth is, we don't know how the guy will adjust to the pro level after coming off a solid collegiate career. And besides, the chiefs felt this was the most appropriate move at the time. They thought at the time they drafted the best player available at the position of most pressing need. Can't blame them. Sims was supposevily
going to be the foundation of our defense.

Believe me, if the Chiefs didn't draft Sims, a team like Minnesota would have took him. Or even somebody else. Too be honest, I haven't given up on Sims. I thought he has had his share of misfortune. The guy has been hurt half of the time, and what really hurt him I thought was the contract holdout during his rookie year. Add to that, we all know Vermeil was more of an offensive football coach. That doesn't help his game when you know your coach focuses and clearly emphasizes on the offensive side of the ball. That was true during Vermeil's tenure here. I don't blame Vermeil. All I can say is, Sims wasn't clearly in a good situation.

And, now we have a coach who will focus on the defensive side of the ball, so things should be interesting? Maybe a change will be good for Ryan? Sometimes guys need that, and Darwin Walker is a good example of what Im talking about. Not saying we should get rid of Ryan, but with a new head coach here, and a collection of new position coaches, a change in attitude and environment will happen. We'll see how he does?

PunkinDrublic
06-06-2006, 02:28 PM
It's not like we're the only team that has whiffed on picks trying to shore up the defensive line. Look at the Browns. What I liked about picking Tamba at No #1 is that at least he seems to have the fundamentals down. With Freeman and Siavii our scouting department fell in love with their size and athletic ability. Freeman was a guy who was used to overpowering and using his strength at tiny UAB. IMO the guy never learned the proper technique to succeed in the NFL. Siavii had project written all over him. Sims had all the upside except for work ethic. When I look at the Tomba pick I see our front office reacting to being burned by past draft picks. Tomba has the proper technique and character. He can always bulk up in the weightroom

A lot of teams wanted Sims, if it was our guy still fumbling for papers and Minnesota got to the commissioners table first they'd be currently kicking themselves.

PunkinDrublic
06-06-2006, 02:33 PM
Here is my opinion on Ryan Sims. Ok, first off, I don't fault the Chiefs for drafting him. You just simply can't. He was considered the best DT at the time coming out of college. So really nobody knew he was going to pan out the way he did today. And thats the draft for you. Some guys will be good, some not. But the truth is, we don't know how the guy will adjust to the pro level after coming off a solid collegiate career. And besides, the chiefs felt this was the most appropriate move at the time. They thought at the time they drafted the best player available at the position of most pressing need. Can't blame them. Sims was supposevily
going to be the foundation of our defense.

Believe me, if the Chiefs didn't draft Sims, a team like Minnesota would have took him. Or even somebody else. Too be honest, I haven't given up on Sims. I thought he has had his share of misfortune. The guy has been hurt half of the time, and what really hurt him I thought was the contract holdout during his rookie year. Add to that, we all know Vermeil was more of an offensive football coach. That doesn't help his game when you know your coach focuses and clearly emphasizes on the offensive side of the ball. That was true during Vermeil's tenure here. I don't blame Vermeil. All I can say is, Sims wasn't clearly in a good situation.

And, now we have a coach who will focus on the defensive side of the ball, so things should be interesting? Maybe a change will be good for Ryan? Sometimes guys need that, and Darwin Walker is a good example of what Im talking about. Not saying we should get rid of Ryan, but with a new head coach here, and a collection of new position coaches, a change in attitude and environment will happen. We'll see how he does?

I agree but Sims is always going to be the whipping boy for our defensive troubles. Right or wrong he was supposed to be the centerpiece to our revamped defensive line. I have my doubts about Sims and like everybody else I am running out of patience but I would rather be proven wrong and see him have a great season.

rad
06-06-2006, 02:37 PM
A lot of teams wanted Sims, if it was our guy still fumbling for papers and Minnesota got to the commissioners table first they'd be currently kicking themselves.
Hey, you never know. With another team with different philosophies and coaching, he could be a pro-bowl player right now.

You just never know.

As for Siavii, if he was a project WTF did we draft him near the top of the 2nd rd?

Saulbadguy
06-06-2006, 02:38 PM
I've been away for awhile, so forgive me: but have some people still not figured out who you are, yet?

htismaqe
06-06-2006, 04:55 PM
It's not like we're the only team that has whiffed on picks trying to shore up the defensive line. Look at the Browns. What I liked about picking Tamba at No #1 is that at least he seems to have the fundamentals down. With Freeman and Siavii our scouting department fell in love with their size and athletic ability. Freeman was a guy who was used to overpowering and using his strength at tiny UAB. IMO the guy never learned the proper technique to succeed in the NFL. Siavii had project written all over him. Sims had all the upside except for work ethic. When I look at the Tomba pick I see our front office reacting to being burned by past draft picks. Tomba has the proper technique and character. He can always bulk up in the weightroom

Defensive tackles are an enigma, regardless of how they are acquired. You're talking, in general, about guys that are only playing football because they are a special combination of big and fast. 90% of the defensive tackles in football today have questions regarding motivation.

Psyko Tek
06-06-2006, 07:50 PM
That's fine by me, just realize it invalidates your response when you don't do so critically. You're making him seem like a scapegoat for the Chiefs problems, not a poor GM who needs to go.

Moooo

but he's both

Rausch
06-06-2006, 08:50 PM
**** him, let him motivate himself.

He produces he can stay, if not, kick his tubby ass to the curb...

NaptownChief
06-06-2006, 08:58 PM
How about never....This POS might step up for a season if he thinks he is in need of money and a new contract much like he did at the Senior Bowl and fooled everyone....When he doens't have $$$$ motivation he is worthless. I fear he will step up for one season only to have us sink a ton of cash in his fat ass and disappear again. I will take 1 Tamba Hali anyday over any number of Ryan Sims...

Halfcan
06-06-2006, 10:22 PM
I have stated my opinion on Fatazz Simms many times-anymore comments about this WORTLESS FATAZZ would seem redundant.