PDA

View Full Version : What is your earliest childhood memory?

penchief
06-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Sorry Rainman. You're idea for a thread is a good one. But it reminded me of one thing that has always fascinated me; my first childhood memory. I don't know exactly how old I was but I have a rough idea.

I remember sitting on the floor with my legs straight out and slightly spread. I was playing with a plastic fire truck. I was driving it in circles on the floor between my legs. I must still have been young enough that I was still flexible enough and not uncomfortable with my legs being straight instead of bent.

All I remember is going, "Errrrrrr.....woo,woo,woo,woo!"

Donger
06-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Reaching up for a brass, lever type door handle. The door was made of glass. Apparently, I was three at the time.

Rain Man
06-06-2006, 05:39 PM
I can remember being in my crib, looking through the bars at my older sister playing with a tea set. Right about that time, I also can remember playing in our sand box in the back yard and looking at the kids at the elementary school across the street playing at recess.

In both cases, I was two or three.

A few years back, my parents took me to a house that I never knew about, where I lived when I was 1 or 2. When they showed me the house, my reaction was, "That's the window I remember." There was a big floor to ceiling window that I remember playing in front of, and I could never figure out which house it was at, because I didn't know that my parents had moved when I was 2.

tommykat
06-06-2006, 05:53 PM
I have 2 memories..........one laying in bed looking out at the sign of The School Of The Ozarks........come to find out I was less than 2 years old. Mom told me I was a scooter in my crib and would always move it to the window.....

The other of my PapaLawson and him bring home a snapping turtle....showing us ( my cousins ) how it bite through a broom...you got it about the same age.

Amazing what you can remember.

RedandGold
06-06-2006, 05:54 PM
My earliest vivid memories are when I was two. I even remember my 2nd birthday and that Easter. I can recall most of the details of our house, the park we used to visit, our neighbor/babysitter's house. I also remember that Christmas when my mother's family came to visit.

Probably, my earliest memory is in riding in my parent's 1974 Impala, and I can remember my mother driving on the interstate. I was in the car seat up front, and I believe this is when we were in the process of moving to Evansville since my dad would have been driving his car there separately. If this is the case, I would have been 1 1/2. This is a VERY fuzzy memory, but it's there.

Count Alex's Losses
06-06-2006, 06:00 PM
I'm not sure which one is earlier...it's one of these:

1. Looking at the red berries on the bushes out back that I wasn't supposed to eat.

2. Screaming like a banshee as the teacher ripped me out of my mother's arms on the first day of primary school.

JBucc
06-06-2006, 06:20 PM
I don't really have any idea what my first memory was, but one of my favorites was when I threw a big pile of rocks into another kids face who was bugging me from like two feet away.

listopencil
06-06-2006, 06:40 PM
I remember my first birthday. We were in the back yard and one of my sisters was sent into the house because she was throwing a minor hissy fit. Her plate of cake and ice cream was next to me and I was worried that someone else was going to eat it before she got to come back out. It was a two story house and I recall staring up at her bedroom window, waiting for her to come back out.

BucEyedPea
06-06-2006, 07:00 PM
I remember being born.
Next pushing my crib down to the other end of my room until my Mom came in and picked me up!

After that I don't remember anything until age 10.

penchief
06-06-2006, 09:14 PM
I remember my first birthday. We were in the back yard and one of my sisters was sent into the house because she was throwing a minor hissy fit. Her plate of cake and ice cream was next to me and I was worried that someone else was going to eat it before she got to come back out. It was a two story house and I recall staring up at her bedroom window, waiting for her to come back out.

Damn..........

DJay23
06-06-2006, 09:40 PM
I remember sitting on my sister's crib rail while she was sleeping and pretending it was a horse. I got in her crib and played with her Winnie the Pooh mobile and woke her up. She couldn't have been more than 2 so I couldn't have been more than 3.

kcfanintitanhell
06-06-2006, 10:43 PM
I can remember having my diaper changed on the ironing board when I was 4 months old...
It freaked my mom out when I asked her a few years back if she used to change my diapers on an ironing board: she said, "how did you know that?!" I told her that I remember looking at her face, laying on the ironing board .
I've almost gotten to the age where I might need that type of service again in the near future. With a heavy duty ironing board..
:)

stevieray
06-06-2006, 10:46 PM
first day of kindergarten. I'm still friends with a guy my age who lived up the street.

BWillie
06-06-2006, 10:47 PM
A big stack of railroad ties falling on my leg when I was about 4 or 5. I was pinned yelling in pain as customers looked, refusing to stop and help me as then entered the Earl May store. So I laid there yelling, crying for a good 5 minutes before my dad comes out and gets the railroad ties off of me. I tell him my leg is broken, he calls me a pussy and says it's probably just fractured and to "walk it off". I guess that's why I'm such a bad ass.

chefsos
06-06-2006, 11:02 PM
I remember being a pyromaniac. Maybe 3 years old.

My mother went out in the yard to hang up laundry. I locked the door, turned on the stovetop burner and happily set pieces of paper ablaze, stamping them out on the floor. Good times.

Of course, she finished her chore and came back to the house, found the door locked, and this is the point at which my plan began to unravel. Damn spare house keys. She saw my handiwork, reached for the red paddle (made in those days of nice heavy 3/8" plywood) on top of the refrigerator and...

Strangely enough, the memory suddenly stops here.

milkman
06-06-2006, 11:05 PM
2. Screaming like a banshee as the teacher ripped me out of my mother's arms on the first day of primary school.

Never would have thought you would react that way, basement boy.

Halfcan
06-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Burning the house down playing with a lighter.

sd4chiefs
06-06-2006, 11:14 PM
I remember Disneyland when I was 4 years old.

http://users.sisna.com/matkinson/Pages/1957.html

I was scared sh*tless on the Rocket to the moon ride.

Baby Lee
06-07-2006, 06:42 AM
A short, almost still picture, memory of sitting on the floor in the mobile home my parents lived in for the first year of my life. My view is of the floor, the front side of the couch and my mom's legs, foot to knee as she sat on the couch.

After that, the memory of seeing my reflection in the ER entrance door as my dad and I followed my mom in to deliver my sister. I'd have just turned 3.

OldTownChief
06-07-2006, 06:53 AM
Sitting in my red wagon waiting for my brothers and sisters to come home from school. Man I was so board when they all left for school.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-07-2006, 07:09 AM
All I remember was this pulling feeling. It was followed by a ride down a slippery canal and then this bright light. After that I passed out from exhaustion but when I awoke there was a hot nurse feeding me.

Rain Man
06-07-2006, 05:56 PM
I remember Disneyland when I was 4 years old.

http://users.sisna.com/matkinson/Pages/1957.html

I was scared sh*tless on the Rocket to the moon ride.

It's not my earliest memory, but as an aside, my family went to Six Flags Over Texas when I was about 5 or 6. I can remember being in the canoe on some Frontierland-type ride, and they gave everyone an oar to paddle the canoe with. (I have no idea if it really worked or if the canoes were on rails.) Anyway, I was ticked off at my older sister, who would've been 7 or 8, because she was using the oar backwards like a dinghy, instead of forward like a canoe. I remember being mad at her, because this was Indian country and mistakes like that could be fatal.

Bob Dole
06-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Bob Dole remembers most of high school graduation.

OldTownChief
06-07-2006, 08:11 PM
when I awoke there was a hot nurse feeding me.

Dude...That tit was your mothers.