PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Advice

Rooster
06-08-2006, 03:38 PM
I am leaving for my honeymoon on Satuday and taking a cruise to the Western Caribbean. I have never been on a cruise before and was hoping some Planeteers might have some helpful hints for me. Any advice would be helpful. :hmmm:

StcChief
06-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Hurrican season...At least in W.Carribean.

Eat up. You will gain 5 lbs...Unless you work it off. :p

chagrin
06-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Rooster, go to:http://www.cruisecritic.com

Find the "forums" section and go there. It breaks down every ship, cruise line, destination, excursions, etc. I found it very useful when getting infor for my cruise.

Stinger
06-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Which cruise line and what ports you going to?

Saulbadguy
06-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Take some motion sickness pills/patches with you.

Rooster
06-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Which cruise line and what ports you going to?

We are taking Carnival and stopping at Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. We are leaving and returning to Tampa.

Rooster
06-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Rooster, go to:http://www.cruisecritic.com

Find the "forums" section and go there. It breaks down every ship, cruise line, destination, excursions, etc. I found it very useful when getting infor for my cruise.

Thanks, I will check that out.

Donger
06-08-2006, 03:49 PM
We are taking Carnival and stopping at Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. We are leaving and returning to Tampa.

If you can, try to get some conch chowder in Georgetown. Perhaps the most delicious food I've ever eaten.

BIG_DADDY
06-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Go to the bar late an pay off the bartender to give you a bottle. Bring back Cuban Cigars, they never look for them.

OnTheWarpath58
06-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Most cruise lines include meals but not drinks/booze in the price.

It is very easy to just sign for drinks, not realizing the tab you're running up.

I took my first cruise last year and was surprised to see my girl and I had run up an $1100 bar tab. In six days.

:cuss:

chiefqueen
06-08-2006, 03:55 PM
You need a carry-on bag for hygene items the last morning. You'll be w/o your suitcases the last 6-8 hours you're on the ship. (This is when the dogs sniff them.)

Spicy McHaggis
06-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Watch out for pirates.

BIG_DADDY
06-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Most cruise lines include meals but not drinks/booze in the price.

It is very easy to just sign for drinks, not realizing the tab you're running up.

I took my first cruise last year and was surprised to see my girl and I had run up an $1100 bar tab. In six days.

:cuss:

We gotta party dude. ROFL

Liquor is a big deal. THey won't even sell it to you when your off the ship unless it's for when you get back. I am going to find a way to bring some in next time. I am open to suggestions.

KCChiefsFan88
06-08-2006, 03:59 PM
I am leaving for my honeymoon on Satuday and taking a cruise to the Western Caribbean. I have never been on a cruise before and was hoping some Planeteers might have some helpful hints for me. Any advice would be helpful. :hmmm:

Get off at as many ports as you can otherwise you'll get a bad case of cabin fever.

chagrin
06-08-2006, 04:00 PM
I am going to find a way to bring some in next time. I am open to suggestions.

What most people do, who don't want to pay for booze, is fill up a flask, bottle of water (empty obviously) with clear liquor - it rarely gets checked.

StcChief
06-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Go to the bar late an pay off the bartender to give you a bottle. Bring back Cuban Cigars, they never look for them.

De-band the cigars most places have generic brown boxes for cigars.

BIG_DADDY
06-08-2006, 04:07 PM
What most people do, who don't want to pay for booze, is fill up a flask, bottle of water (empty obviously) with clear liquor - it rarely gets checked.

Anything is worth a shot. My last cruise I got to know two bartenders and they took good care of me but my tab was still $100 a day.

Rooster
06-08-2006, 04:08 PM
You need a carry-on bag for hygene items the last morning. You'll be w/o your suitcases the last 6-8 hours you're on the ship. (This is when the dogs sniff them.)

Good to know. I didn't know that. So much for the child smuggling. :)

Rooster
06-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Anything is worth a shot. My last cruise I got to know two bartenders and they took good care of me but my tab was still $100 a day.

I will have to befriend some bartenders too. I plan on doing some drinking on this trip. :toast:

Whoarethechefs
06-08-2006, 04:09 PM
1. Go down to the local healthfood shop and get a big bottle of Ginger capsules.

It is really the only thing that works that doesnt have sideffects that feel worse than being seasick.

2. Buy yourself a couple of bottles at your first port o call, I did this on my last cruise and it saved me a bundle on my bar tab.

chagrin
06-08-2006, 04:11 PM

This is the most popular method, I remember seeing so many people thAT DID IT.

OnTheWarpath58
06-08-2006, 04:11 PM
We gotta party dude. ROFL

Liquor is a big deal. THey won't even sell it to you when your off the ship unless it's for when you get back. I am going to find a way to bring some in next time. I am open to suggestions.

Off ship, we got some great deals on booze in St. Thomas. (at a flippin K-Mart, no less)

Too bad the cruise line takes it and stores it until the trip is over.......

Probably the last cruise I'll go on.....just wasn't for me.

Otter
06-08-2006, 04:13 PM
1. Go down to the local healthfood shop and get a big bottle of Ginger capsules.

It is really the only thing that works that doesnt have sideffects that feel worse than being seasick.

Mythbusters fan? I saw that episode too. :D

OnTheWarpath58
06-08-2006, 04:16 PM
De-band the cigars most places have generic brown boxes for cigars.

Exactly.

The cigar shop I bought from actually rebanded my Cubans with a band from a Dominican made cigar.....even repackaged them in a Dominican brand box.....

That's customer service.

BIG_DADDY
06-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Off ship, we got some great deals on booze in St. Thomas. (at a flippin K-Mart, no less)

Too bad the cruise line takes it and stores it until the trip is over.......

Probably the last cruise I'll go on.....just wasn't for me.

I'm not a big cruise guy but what I did learn from the last one is that I would like to stay on a really small island in the carribean with some friends and bring your own stuff. I could do that for a week really easy

Whoarethechefs
06-08-2006, 04:19 PM
I am a Mythbusters fan, but I've known that trick for years, too many years livin the the desert destroyed my sea legs , lol. I am now a landlubber.

As far as the Booze, They might have changed their policy since my last cruise , but Royal Caribean only confiscated anything over 2 liters, I was drinkin some fine tequila for the next 5 days.

Rooster
06-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Exactly.

The cigar shop I bought from actually rebanded my Cubans with a band from a Dominican made cigar.....even repackaged them in a Dominican brand box.....

That's customer service.

How sweet is that?

OnTheWarpath58
06-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Oh, and by the way Rooster......

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

I'm right behind you, getting married on the 17th.

Best of luck to you.

Stinger
06-08-2006, 04:25 PM
First of they say you can embark around 3:00 don't believe that our ship was boarded by us at 12:00. They have food ready for passengers might as well get started early. Lay out by the pool eat and relax and watch the other say "hey!!! We should have boarded earlier."

I can only tell you about Grand Cayman & Cozumel.

Wife and I loved Grand Caymen when we went on our cruise last year. Great beach water was 4 diferent shades of blue and aqua green. We were there from 8 until 2 ish I believe. Used an out side vendor to go on a snorkle and Stingray tour. Loved it and spent only half of what those on who went through the ship. Plus those who were on the ship where herded on to large boats 50- 75 at a time. Our excursion had 12 people. When through Nativeways (http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/index.html) if you want to get them after the tender from the boat they will be around the dock along with 15 or 20 other inderpendant companies. Shopping is better here than in Cozumel.

Cozumel was ok did the downtown shopping thing. Make sure you haggle with them and also be prepared to approached by every shop vendor. A simple no thank you usally get them off you but not always. After about 2 hours of shopping we went to one of my favorite places Paradise Beach (http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.net/index.html) . Free to enter if you want pay $8 and use their snorkle gear (with $20 deposit, yes you get it back), kayak, trapoline in the ocean, and their climbing iceburg. Have a wait staff to take orders while you lay out on the beach. Hammocks, bar (water is treated so it ok to get ice in the drinks) great resturant (food was awesome), and my wifes favorite they have 2 people who give great massages right on the beach (Dollar or two per minute). Wish we would have spent the 2 extra hours here than shopping downtown. To get there take a taxi at the end of the pier can't miss it tell the driver to Paradise Beach it roughly $10-15 round trip for the 2 of you.

Most of all enjoy yourself and have fun. And remember what goes on the cruise most likely stays on the cruise :D

SBK
06-08-2006, 04:27 PM

I've been to Belieze and Cozumel. Belize sucked, and while in Cozumel you can go to Passion Island, which is where they make the Corona commercials. You know, the worlds best beach type of place. Cozumel is world class in snorkling and diving if you're into that stuff as well.

Of course, if it rains, like it did when I was there, everybody on our ship went to Senor Frogs I think because nobody was walking straight back to the ship, it was pretty funny.

BIG_DADDY
06-08-2006, 04:29 PM
First of they say you can embark around 3:00 don't believe that our ship was boarded by us at 12:00. They have food ready for passengers might as well get started early. Lay out by the pool eat and relax and watch the other say "hey!!! We should have boarded earlier."

I can only tell you about Grand Cayman & Cozumel.

Wife and I loved Grand Caymen when we went on our cruise last year. Great beach water was 4 diferent shades of blue and aqua green. We were there from 8 until 2 ish I believe. Used an out side vendor to go on a snorkle and Stingray tour. Loved it and spent only half of what those on who went through the ship. Plus those who were on the ship where herded on to large boats 50- 75 at a time. Our excursion had 12 people. When through Nativeways (http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/index.html) if you want to get them after the tender from the boat they will be around the dock along with 15 or 20 other inderpendant companies. Shopping is better here than in Cozumel.

Cozumel was ok did the downtown shopping thing. Make sure you haggle with them and also be prepared to approached by every shop vendor. A simple no thank you usally get them off you but not always. After about 2 hours of shopping we went to one of my favorite places Paradise Beach (http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.net/index.html) . Free to enter if you want pay $8 and use their snorkle gear (with $20 deposit, yes you get it back), kayak, trapoline in the ocean, and their climbing iceburg. Have a wait staff to take orders while you lay out on the beach. Hammocks, bar (water is treated so it ok to get ice in the drinks) great resturant (food was awesome), and my wifes favorite they have 2 people who give great massages right on the beach (Dollar or two per minute). Wish we would have spent the 2 extra hours here than shopping downtown. To get there take a taxi at the end of the pier can't miss it tell the driver to Paradise Beach it roughly $10-15 round trip for the 2 of you.

Most of all enjoy yourself and have fun. And remember what goes on the cruise most likely stays on the cruise :D

Grand Cayman was a madhouse when I went there. 6 ships in port and nobody would sell me any booze. :cuss:

You are right though the island was beautiful. Wanted beat the crap out of some Jamaicans there but I was seriously outnumbered.

kcfanintitanhell
06-08-2006, 04:30 PM

If they do check, I must have gotten lucky, because I smuggled on two liter bottles of Smirnoff in one of my bags.
Still had a 650 dollar tab at the end of the cruise.
Find out exactly how much they are charging for their port-of-call excursions-sometimes those can get a little pricey.
BTW-Congratulations.

BIG_DADDY
06-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Find out exactly how much they are charging for their port-of-call excursions-sometimes those can get a little pricey.
BTW-Congratulations.

Sometimes if you just go on the island you get them for half price.

Rooster
06-08-2006, 04:40 PM
What happens if they do catch you sneaking booze onto the ship? Do they just take it or is there some legal action?

BIG_DADDY
06-08-2006, 04:48 PM
What happens if they do catch you sneaking booze onto the ship? Do they just take it or is there some legal action?

Take it.

IA_Chiefs_fan
06-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Don't fall over-board or come up missing. ;) Congrats BTW!

unlurking
06-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Grand Caymen - Do the stingray tour. Very cool. Get to hang out on a sandbar about 4' under water and play with stingrays with a 5' wingspan. Very cool. The port is mostly shopping and I found boring.

Costa Maya - Take the ruins tour. I did the 4 hour with my son and had a blast. There's not much else to do there, other thang hang out at the overpriced crappy shops there. If you find anything you really want to buy, offer 25%, walk away if they don't come down to 50%, they'll come running after you. When I went, there was nothing but a round walled tourist trap with shops and an outdoor bar in the middle. The bar was cool, but the shops were pretty lame (not into shopping).

BIG_DADDY
06-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Grand Caymen - Do the stingray tour. Very cool. Get to hang out on a sandbar about 4' under water and play with stingrays with a 5' wingspan. Very cool. The port is mostly shopping and I found boring.

Costa Maya - Take the ruins tour. I did the 4 hour with my son and had a blast. There's not much else to do there, other thang hang out at the overpriced crappy shops there. If you find anything you really want to buy, offer 25%, walk away if they don't come down to 50%, they'll come running after you. When I went, there was nothing but a round walled tourist trap with shops and an outdoor bar in the middle. The bar was cool, but the shops were pretty lame (not into shopping).

Good advise.

KChiefsQT
06-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Pay attention to the times they say they are departing the ports. Don't get drunk and forget the time. Don't miss the ship and be stranded.

Rain Man
06-08-2006, 06:45 PM

I bet they make you walk the plank.

I always thought cruises were lame when I was younger, but in recent years I've become more interested in giving one a try. My wife is not that interested, but said that she would really like to do a transatlantic crossing on that new one (the Queen Mary II?). I could dig doing something like that.

Rooster
06-09-2006, 08:32 AM
Pay attention to the times they say they are departing the ports. Don't get drunk and forget the time. Don't miss the ship and be stranded.

Thanks. How the hell would you get home if you missed the boat? I would be on a raft heading to Florida I guess. :)

Bob Dole
06-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Exactly.

That's customer service.

The really funny part is that they were just putting them back in their original condition.

Idahojim
06-09-2006, 09:17 AM
I second the motion for the stingray tour, and I'm not a big fan of those tours. It's a lot cheaper to just go into the main town, and you learn a lot on your own.

Also - with Carnival, eat your lunch in the same dining area where you have dinner. The lunch offered on the top deck is little more than a hog trough in my opinion. You'll get much better food and options in the dining area.

Cheers. And have a great time.