PDA

View Full Version : Cunningham rips Sims

The Poz
06-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Chiefs | Cunningham rips Sims when he appeared tired
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 08:37:50 -0700

Elizabeth Merrill, of the Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs DL Ryan Sims was the recipient of a tongue-lashing Thursday, June 8, from defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham after Sims appeared tired in the 90-degree heat. Head coach Herman Edwards conceded in the spring that Sims showed up for minicamp a few pounds heavy.

Fat bastard deserves it!

StcChief
06-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Sims is on his way out.....

DaKCMan AP
06-09-2006, 10:06 AM

to dinner?

el borracho
06-09-2006, 10:10 AM
How is this news? Gunther yells at everyone.

Kerberos
06-09-2006, 10:18 AM
How is this news? Gunther yells at everyone.

But he doesn't yell at EVERYONE for being a Overweight, Out of Shape, Overeating FAT LAZY PIECE OF SHIT BASTARD.

So there is some news in this post.

BigChiefFan
06-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Sims apparently doesn't have the heart to push himself and it has cost us dearly. Sims can't be gone soon enough, IMO. It's a shame, too, because he has talent, he just lacks the desire to make a difference. He got his paycheck and took a drive on easy-street. I hope the recent DT additions this offseason push his ass out the door or cause him to step up his game in a big way. Sims has run out of excuses in my book-it's time to deliver and earn part of that fat check, twinkie-eatin' mother ****er.

Fish
06-09-2006, 10:30 AM
I may be alone on my thinking here.... but I still think Sims is the better DT out of what we have right now. I'm not saying he deserves the money he's getting, but sadly he's going to be starting come opening day....

JMO....

and Rocky Bernard could have changed all that too....

bobbything
06-09-2006, 10:33 AM
IIRC, didn't Sims play alongside of Julius Peppers in college? It's not too hard to look good when the whole offensive line is blocking one other person.

Sims. Bust. Move on.

cadmonkey
06-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Randell Cunningham has a problem with Phil Sims?

huh, who woulda thunk it!

JBucc
06-09-2006, 10:44 AM
and Rocky Bernard could have changed all that too....I had all but forgotten about him, the you had to bring it up again! I hate you :harumph:

el borracho
06-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Am I the only one left who thinks Sims can be a great player? His career so far has been derailed by two things: playing in Grob's read and react system and injury- not laziness. If Sims ever plays a full season under Gun I think you will be surprised.

JBucc
06-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Am I the only one left who thinks Sims can be a great player? His career so far has been derailed by two things: playing in Grob's read and react system and injury- not laziness. If Sims ever plays a full season under Gun I think you will be surprised.You and Gaz

Fire Me Boy!
06-09-2006, 10:47 AM
I believe pretty much EVERYONE during the draft said Sims made Peppers better, not the other way around.

Sometimes everybody screws up. I also remember a story about the GM of the Packers calling Carl Peterson after we drafted S William Bartee and said we just picked the best CORNER of the draft.

Fire Me Boy!
06-09-2006, 10:48 AM
You and Gaz
Put Roof Pig! on that bus, too!

Fruit Ninja
06-09-2006, 10:49 AM
and Rocky Bernard could have changed all that too....Cept he never really wanted to leave seattle. He has it good there, he got a new contract, he is on the best team in the NFC. WHy leave?

BigMeatballDave
06-09-2006, 10:49 AM
I am willing to give him this season. Otherwise, I'm done with him...

hawkchief
06-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Am I the only one left who thinks Sims can be a great player? His career so far has been derailed by two things: playing in Grob's read and react system and injury- not laziness. If Sims ever plays a full season under Gun I think you will be surprised.

So why does he come in fat and out of shape, when he knows this is a big year for him and that he is needed? Pathetic, and it just shows the type of lazy individual he is, which carries onto the field and in the locker room.

bobbything
06-09-2006, 10:54 AM
I believe pretty much EVERYONE during the draft said Sims made Peppers better, not the other way around.
Well, then EVERYONE was wrong.

Would you rather have Peppers or Sims?

ILWarpaint
06-09-2006, 11:05 AM
IIRC, didn't Sims play alongside of Julius Peppers in college? It's not too hard to look good when the whole offensive line is blocking one other person.

Sims. Bust. Move on.

Not that I'm defending Sims, but the same thing could be said about Manny Lawson of Maryland. However there were alot of folks on this board clamoring for him rather than Hali.

just my .02

I'll crawl back in my hole now.

chiefqueen
06-09-2006, 11:07 AM

to the Cheesecake Factory.

Fire Me Boy!
06-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Well, then EVERYONE was wrong.

Would you rather have Peppers or Sims?
Well, no shit. Hindsight is 20/20. I'm just saying CP wasn't out of his mind to draft Sims over Peppers.

DaKCMan AP
06-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Well, no shit. Hindsight is 20/20. I'm just saying CP wasn't out of his mind to draft Sims over Peppers.

He didn't. Peppers was #2 overall, IIRC.

Fire Me Boy!
06-09-2006, 11:21 AM
He didn't. Peppers was #2 overall, IIRC.
:hmmm: Could be right, I don't remember. But I do remember a lot of people thinking Sims was the better DT.

ChiefFan31
06-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Dont forget about John Bunting, the HC over at UNC (at least he was at the time of the Sims draft) He was our linebackers coach back in the Marty Days.

That dude sold us big time on Sims, I remember reading. Also, another bad thing for us, certain names get hot (hype) in the days leading up to the draft and Sims was on of them. We also traded up to get this guy :banghead:

I will give him one more year, just because he does have talent and we desperately need him to step up. Im glad Gun ripped him. So it was Sims they were eluding to in the QA Sess with Herm yesterday. ROFL

el borracho
06-09-2006, 11:41 AM
So why does he come in fat and out of shape, when he knows this is a big year for him and that he is needed? Pathetic, and it just shows the type of lazy individual he is, which carries onto the field and in the locker room.
Edwards conceded that Sims was "a few pounds heavy" which isn't exactly the same as stating that Sims is fat and out of shape. Seriously, Sims is a 315 pound man. If he didn't get winded practicing in 90 degree heat I think that would say something about Edwards' practices.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-09-2006, 11:58 AM

...to KFC, then Krispy Kreme, back to KFC.

Taco John
06-09-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm suprised that Sims has been so ineffective... I, like many here, had him pegged as a sure thing.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-09-2006, 12:10 PM
:hmmm: Could be right, I don't remember. But I do remember a lot of people thinking Sims was the better DT.

NFL DRAFT 2002 RESULTS
1. Houston David Carr QB Fresno State
2. Carolina Julius Peppers DE North Carolina
3. Detroit Joey Harrington QB Oregon
4. Buffalo Mike Williams OT Texas
5. San Diego Quentin Jammer CB Texas
6. Kansas City (from Dallas) Ryan Sims DT North Carolina
7. Minnesota Bryant McKinnie OT Miami (Fla)
8. Dallas (from Kansas City) Roy Williams SS Oklahoma
9. Jacksonville John Henderson DT Tennessee
10. Cincinnati Levi Jones OT Arizona State
11. Indianapolis Dwight Freeney DE Syracuse
12. Arizona Wendell Bryant DT Wisconsin
13. New Orleans Donte Stallworth WR Tennessee
14. NY Giants (from Tennessee) Jeremy Shockey TE Miami (Fla)
15. Tennessee (from NY Giants) Albert Haynesworth DT Tennessee
16. Cleveland William Green RB Boston College
17. Oakland (from Atlanta) Phillip Buchanon CB Miami (Fla)
18. Atlanta (from Washington through Oakland) T.J. Duckett RB Michigan State
19. Denver Ashley Lelie WR Hawaii
20. Green Bay (from Seattle) Javon Walker WR Florida State
21. New England (from Tampa Bay through Oakland and Washington) Daniel Graham TE Colorado
22. NY Jets Bryan Thomas DE Alabama-Birmingham
23. Oakland Napolean Harris OLB Northwestern
24. Baltimore Edward Reed S Miami (FLA)
25. New Orleans (from Miami) Charles Grant DE Georgia
26. Philadelphia Lito Sheppard CB Florida
27. San Francisco Mike Rumph CB Miami (Fla)
28. Seattle (from Green Bay) Jerramy Stevens TE Washington
29. Chicago Marc Colombo OT Boston College
30. Pittsburgh Kendall Simmons OG Auburn
31. St. Louis Robert Thomas MLB UCLA
32. Washington (from New England) Patrick Ramsey QB Tulane

Moooo
06-09-2006, 12:18 PM
That draft board got me to questioning which DT would be a better pick than Sims? I didn't look at it too well, but I know we were looking for a DT (which means no, "We shoulda gotten Freeney."), and just at a real quick glance no powerhouses stuck out at me...

Moooo

Valiant
06-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Edwards conceded that Sims was "a few pounds heavy" which isn't exactly the same as stating that Sims is fat and out of shape. Seriously, Sims is a 315 pound man. If he didn't get winded practicing in 90 degree heat I think that would say something about Edwards' practices.

Yeah but Edwards practices are supposed to be very short, quick and hard compared to the festivals DV had... If Sims is getting tired from them and no one else is there is a problem..

kc rush
06-09-2006, 12:28 PM
I think the guy has talent, he has shown flashes. I just think that he is unmotivated. Last year he was playing well until he was injured (weren't bonuses on the line?)

I'm not holding out too much hope, but I'll give him a few games this year to prove he wants to play. If he isn't motivated by Edwards, and he doesn't put in the effort, BUST will be appropriate.

The sad thing is that even if we drop him, some team will pay him. If you are big and can show a little talent or promise, you can stick around for a long time.

Kerberos
06-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Yeah but Edwards practices are supposed to be very short, quick and hard compared to the festivals DV had... If Sims is getting tired from them and no one else is there is a problem..

Exactly

Why the hell is ANYONE defending this out of shape POS?

If he is getting winded in 90 degree heat during a quick fast paced practice it is because he didn't do enough IF ANY off season conditioning. The above mentioned is correct. HE has to know his ASS and his job are on the line. Why the hell wouldn't you be in the BEST shape of your life if your job and paycheck NEXT year are counting on it? :shake:

Sorry I don't buy anything other than he just doesn't care.

Gaz
06-09-2006, 12:40 PM
I am willing to give him this season. Otherwise, I'm done with him...

Me, too.

I have been waiting for Sims to show me that he was worth the pick. I do not question the pick, BTW. Sims was clearly the best choice at the time. Unfortunately, he has not lived up to his promise.

I remain hopeful that this is the season he transforms into the player I thought we were getting when we drafted him.

xoxo~
Gaz
Thinking about losing faith in Sims.

Munson
06-09-2006, 12:42 PM
I can't see how anyone could defend Sims either. The guy is a no talent ass clown. He's never made a difference on the field, with a whopping 68 carreer tackles over 4 years. He's been a bust since day one. Hopefully, this will be his last year here.

And I don't buy that he didn't succeed because he's been in a couple of different schemes. As a defensive tackle, you have two possible jobs: either absorb the double team so that someone else can make the play, or get penetration into the backfield to disrupt the play. And Sims can't do either of those.

DaKCMan AP
06-09-2006, 12:45 PM
NFL DRAFT 2002 RESULTS
1. Houston David Carr QB Fresno State
2. Carolina Julius Peppers DE North Carolina
3. Detroit Joey Harrington QB Oregon
4. Buffalo Mike Williams OT Texas
5. San Diego Quentin Jammer CB Texas
6. Kansas City (from Dallas) Ryan Sims DT North Carolina
7. Minnesota Bryant McKinnie OT Miami (Fla)
8. Dallas (from Kansas City) Roy Williams SS Oklahoma
9. Jacksonville John Henderson DT Tennessee
10. Cincinnati Levi Jones OT Arizona State
11. Indianapolis Dwight Freeney DE Syracuse
12. Arizona Wendell Bryant DT Wisconsin
13. New Orleans Donte Stallworth WR Tennessee
14. NY Giants (from Tennessee) Jeremy Shockey TE Miami (Fla)
15. Tennessee (from NY Giants) Albert Haynesworth DT Tennessee
16. Cleveland William Green RB Boston College
17. Oakland (from Atlanta) Phillip Buchanon CB Miami (Fla)
18. Atlanta (from Washington through Oakland) T.J. Duckett RB Michigan State
19. Denver Ashley Lelie WR Hawaii
20. Green Bay (from Seattle) Javon Walker WR Florida State
21. New England (from Tampa Bay through Oakland and Washington) Daniel Graham TE Colorado
22. NY Jets Bryan Thomas DE Alabama-Birmingham
23. Oakland Napolean Harris OLB Northwestern
24. Baltimore Edward Reed S Miami (FLA)
25. New Orleans (from Miami) Charles Grant DE Georgia
26. Philadelphia Lito Sheppard CB Florida
27. San Francisco Mike Rumph CB Miami (Fla)
28. Seattle (from Green Bay) Jerramy Stevens TE Washington
29. Chicago Marc Colombo OT Boston College
30. Pittsburgh Kendall Simmons OG Auburn
31. St. Louis Robert Thomas MLB UCLA
32. Washington (from New England) Patrick Ramsey QB Tulane

A lot of underperforming/bust first rounders in that draft.

Carr (although I think he just needs a line), Harrington, Mike Williams, Jammer, Sims, McKinnie, Henderson, Levi Jones, Bryant, Stallworth, Haynesworth, Will Green, Buchanon, Lelie, Daniel Graham, Bryan Thomas, Jerramy Stevens, Ramsey

CoMoChief
06-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Cept he never really wanted to leave seattle. He has it good there, he got a new contract, he is on the best team in the NFC. WHy leave?

His contract wasnt that great of one considering what he accomplished last season. We could have easily outbid Seattle for him, we chose not to.

ChiefaRoo
06-09-2006, 01:12 PM
I may be alone on my thinking here.... but I still think Sims is the better DT out of what we have right now. I'm not saying he deserves the money he's getting, but sadly he's going to be starting come opening day....

JMO....

and Rocky Bernard could have changed all that too....

I'm not a big Simms fans but the truth be told he's the best DT on the team and perhaps the only one who can be a pro-bowler (don't know about the new guy Edwards from Buffalo). If Herm and Gunter can't motivate him then no one can.

stevieray
06-09-2006, 01:15 PM
In every practice or camp I've seen him in, he is always the first to take his helmet off, and hit the water. Every time.

BigRock
06-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Supposedly Sims was yelling and cussing right back at him. Maybe Gun is doing the same thing with Sims that he did with Kawika.

Fish
06-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Why the hell is ANYONE defending this out of shape POS?

If he is getting winded in 90 degree heat during a quick fast paced practice it is because he didn't do enough IF ANY off season conditioning. The above mentioned is correct. HE has to know his ASS and his job are on the line. Why the hell wouldn't you be in the BEST shape of your life if your job and paycheck NEXT year are counting on it? :shake:

Sorry I don't buy anything other than he just doesn't care.

Have you ever experienced any type of professional football training or conditioning? Or even watched for a good portion of time? You can be in the BEST shape of your life, and still be dragging ass. Moreso if you weigh over 300lbs. And just because Edward's has a quick fast paced practice, it doesn't mean a big DT shouldn't be winded.

If he just didn't care like you say, then he wouldn't show up till organized OTAs like a lot of the veterans are doing. He'd be chasing doughnuts and KFC like everyone is joking about instead of getting winded in that 90 degree heat.

ck_IN
06-09-2006, 01:23 PM
<i>That draft board got me to questioning which DT would be a better pick than Sims?</i>

Try John Henderson who at the time was the most decorated DT in the draft. There was some talk about a back problem but that's what we pay our medical staff for.

As for Sims being clearly the best pick at the time I'd disagree. Sims and Henderson were 1 and 1a. The only real differences between them was Henderson had done it for the length of his college career and the aformentioned back rumour.

We had our choice of Sims and Henderson. DV/CP choose poorly.

BigChiefFan
06-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Some are missing the point.. of course fans of the Chiefs want to give Sims another shot. We ALL want to see him do well(because he's a Chief), but up to this point he hasn't done one damn thing to indicate he wants to give his all. Some are in denial about Sims, IMO. He is what he is. This will be his FIFTH year and some think he will somehow do a 180 and magically turn into a PB DT, it's amazing the patience given to this unmotivated scrub.

Kerberos
06-09-2006, 01:24 PM
In every practice or camp I've seen him in, he is always the first to take his helmet off, and hit the water. Every time.

Well there ya go.... Just put the water on back of a cart and drive just faster than Sims can run.

:D

Brock
06-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Well there ya go.... Just put the water on back of a cart and drive just faster than Sims can run.

:D

hot wings

Fish
06-09-2006, 01:31 PM
As a defensive tackle, you have two possible jobs: either absorb the double team so that someone else can make the play, or get penetration into the backfield to disrupt the play. And Sims can't do either of those.

That's a pretty dumb thing to say. If it were as easy as that, then every 320lb. dumbshit would be in the NFL playing DT....

And Sims can do both of those things.... you don't get drafted in the top 10 if you can't....

Kerberos
06-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Have you ever experienced any type of professional football training or conditioning? Or even watched for a good portion of time? You can be in the BEST shape of your life, and still be dragging ass. Moreso if you weigh over 300lbs. And just because Edward's has a quick fast paced practice, it doesn't mean a big DT shouldn't be winded.

If he just didn't care like you say, then he wouldn't show up till organized OTAs like a lot of the veterans are doing. He'd be chasing doughnuts and KFC like everyone is joking about instead of getting winded in that 90 degree heat.

Point taken. But I have a feeling Sims did not come into camp in the BEST shape of his life like maybe he should have. My thinking is that if your job and ass are depending on your performace this year you might want to give a little bit MORE of a shit about how you look and perform right NOW instead of waiting to get here to start getting into shape.

If he wasn't MORE out of shape than the rest of the group then I don't think they would be making a big deal out of this. :shrug:

Hell I hope he proves me wrong and has a breakout season and has SACKS and QB Pressures in double digits, 5 blocked passes and tackles in the 100's. I would be one of the first to eat CROW as I would like to see him succeed. But past failures lead me to believe that he will not be anything more than what we have seen the last few years.

We'll see.

BTW: I have never played professional football but I did have the pleasure of playing JUCO football in 100 degree heat and yes it sucks and yes you get winded but after the first few practices it is gone. I weighed 285 in college so I know a little about it. Sims is out of shape becasue he chooses to be. No other reason.

Fish
06-09-2006, 01:49 PM
up to this point he hasn't done one damn thing to indicate he wants to give his all.

At the beginning of last season, the media was telling us that Sims had turned the corner and was playing like the guy we drafted... lot's of people believed it and were encouraged by Sims.... then he had his ankle injury.... Now the media is handing out spoonfuls of negativity for Sims and some people are eating it up....

I seem to remember quite a bit of praise for Sims when he came back last season after injury to play in the Donkeys game. Sims stuffed Denver's right side and held them on a game-turning 4 and 1 late in the 4th quarter.......

Like him or not... Sims will be the starter opening day....

J Diddy
06-09-2006, 02:13 PM
That draft board got me to questioning which DT would be a better pick than Sims?

Try John Henderson who at the time was the most decorated DT in the draft. There was some talk about a back problem but that's what we pay our medical staff for.

As for Sims being clearly the best pick at the time I'd disagree. Sims and Henderson were 1 and 1a. The only real differences between them was Henderson had done it for the length of his college career and the aformentioned back rumour.

We had our choice of Sims and Henderson. DV/CP choose poorly.

That is horse poo.

When the draft board came out there was no argument over the consensus number 1 DT, it was sims.

Everyone else was arguing who was number 2.

To say I told you so is crap, he fooled everybody.

NaptownChief
06-09-2006, 02:22 PM
That is horse poo.

When the draft board came out there was no argument over the consensus number 1 DT, it was sims.

Everyone else was arguing who was number 2.

To say I told you so is crap, he fooled everybody.

Kinda.....Henderson was projected as the possible #1 overall pick prior to his last season at UT....Then the usual "try and pick apart the guy at the top of the totem poll" process got in full steam and it became popular to talk about how he might be too tall and not be able to get leverage...then the alleged back problem that clearly was never a problem and then Sims looked great at the Senior Bowl and the combination moved Sims to the top DT in most folks opinions but for all the reasons why we took Tamba this year is all the reasons why in hindsight why we should have taken Henderson...Draft players based on how they play football on the field over the long haul...That is how you get good football players. Sims was at least smart enough to know when to turn it on and hit the jackpot...I just fear he will do it again when it comes contract time only to give us one really good year before becoming a big fat tub of goo all over again. He hasn't figured it out by now it is probably time to kick his big arse to the curb for a couple used jock straps and duffle bags.

ck_IN
06-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks Nap. Now I don't have to respond to a reply that uses the word 'poo'.

htismaqe
06-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Kinda.....Henderson was projected as the possible #1 overall pick prior to his last season at UT....Then the usual "try and pick apart the guy at the top of the totem poll" process got in full steam and it became popular to talk about how he might be too tall and not be able to get leverage...then the alleged back problem that clearly was never a problem and then Sims looked great at the Senior Bowl and the combination moved Sims to the top DT in most folks opinions but for all the reasons why we took Tamba this year is all the reasons why in hindsight why we should have taken Henderson...Draft players based on how they play football on the field over the long haul...That is how you get good football players. Sims was at least smart enough to know when to turn it on and hit the jackpot...I just fear he will do it again when it comes contract time only to give us one really good year before becoming a big fat tub of goo all over again. He hasn't figured it out by now it is probably time to kick his big arse to the curb for a couple used jock straps and duffle bags.

Um, Sims did more than just impress at the Senior Bowl. Had a great senior season, including some absolutely dominant performances against high-profile competition (see Florida State).

He basically did the EXACT thing that Tamba did - play great one year and cash in.

NaptownChief
06-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Um, Sims did more than just impress at the Senior Bowl. Had a great senior season, including some absolutely dominant performances against high-profile competition (see Florida State).

He basically did the EXACT thing that Tamba did - play great one year and cash in.

He had a good Sr year but if memory serves me I wouldn't call it great...It wasn't until his Sr Bowl performance that he moved up to the top of the list...His Sr year was pretty indicative of reality...lots of talent and steps up when he wants to be refuses to most of the time.

Just looked it up...5 sacks and only 8 TFL his Sr year...With teams desparately trying to stop Julius Peppers only 8 TFL isn't exactly what I would call great.

But it doesn't much matter now...He is our lazy POS bust and nothing we can do about it at this point.

Halfcan
06-09-2006, 03:09 PM

He better get his shit together, sounds like he not going to get a free pass anymore.

Kerberos
06-09-2006, 03:12 PM
He better get his shit together, sounds like he not going to get a free pass anymore.

Or free donuts from the Training Table.

jspchief
06-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Sims came into camp last year in awesome shape, so it's not like he's always been a fatass. He also looked very good before he got injured, which is what leads me to believe he still could be a solid DT.

There's very little reason to give up on him this year. It's not like there's a list of better DTs in the wings to take his roster spot, and it's of no financial benefit to release him this year.

So I'll go ahead and say I haven't given up. I think he has the potential to be a good DT. It's a matter of fitness (which can be fixed in the next few months) and health (which is beyond anyone's control). However, if he doesn't get it done this year, or spends a lot of time injured again, I'll be ready to move on next year.

Mecca
06-09-2006, 03:51 PM
A lot of underperforming/bust first rounders in that draft.

Carr (although I think he just needs a line), Harrington, Mike Williams, Jammer, Sims, McKinnie, Henderson, Levi Jones, Bryant, Stallworth, Haynesworth, Will Green, Buchanon, Lelie, Daniel Graham, Bryan Thomas, Jerramy Stevens, Ramsey

John Hendersons been to a Pro Bowl......Lelie has had 1000 yard seasons. On the field Haynesworth performs well he just has personal issues.......Not all of those guys you listed are bums.

htismaqe
06-09-2006, 04:14 PM
John Hendersons been to a Pro Bowl......Lelie has had 1000 yard seasons. On the field Haynesworth performs well he just has personal issues.......Not all of those guys you listed are bums.

On the field, Haynesworth looks IDENTICAL to Sims. He just doesn't play for the Chiefs so that automatically makes him better...

NaptownChief
06-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Could have been worse I suppose...they could have taken Wendell Bryant instead...that bum is out of the league already like our early 2nd round pick from that year.

htismaqe
06-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Could have been worse I suppose...they could have taken Wendell Bryant instead...that bum is out of the league already like our early 2nd round pick from that year.

That's the one that hurts. Freeman was very good in college and really the biggest knock on him was that he didn't play against top-notch talent at UAB.

The thing about Sims and Freeman is that this isn't unique to the Chiefs. Go back and look at all the high draft picks used on DT's in the last 10 years and see how many of them actually panned out.

At some point, teams are going to stop throwing high-dollar contracts at big fat guys that don't want to play...

BWillie
06-09-2006, 05:20 PM
As crappy as he may be. Sims is our best tackle. We don't have anybody else to put in there as a starter right now. I bet he's good enough for an 85 on Madden.

Taco John
06-09-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm not going to bash Sims. He could be a Bronco next year.

Valiant
06-09-2006, 05:46 PM

I think it is more to the fact that all the other veterans love the new practices and are not having problems and Sims is... It is still early but most vets bust their ass off in the offseason during their contract year to get a new one, whereas Sims came in overweight...

kc rush
06-09-2006, 10:56 PM

Only if we can get that trade worked out with the Browns this year.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Chiefs | Cunningham rips Sims when he appeared tired
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 08:37:50 -0700

Elizabeth Merrill, of the Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs DL Ryan Sims was the recipient of a tongue-lashing Thursday, June 8, from defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham after Sims appeared tired in the 90-degree heat. Head coach Herman Edwards conceded in the spring that Sims showed up for minicamp a few pounds heavy.

Fat bastard deserves it!

Oh please, can we cut this guy already?

Halfcan
06-09-2006, 11:00 PM

Lumping Tamba in with Simms-nice one.

Tamba has heart, Simms is a Puzzy-big difference.

Chiefnj
06-10-2006, 07:00 AM
That's the one that hurts. Freeman was very good in college and really the biggest knock on him was that he didn't play against top-notch talent at UAB.

The thing about Sims and Freeman is that this isn't unique to the Chiefs. Go back and look at all the high draft picks used on DT's in the last 10 years and see how many of them actually panned out.

At some point, teams are going to stop throwing high-dollar contracts at big fat guys that don't want to play...

The Jets used their 1st round pick on Thomas the DE from UAB the same year KC took Freeman.

UAB had the lowest yards per rush in the entire collegiate system that year. They seemed like good prospects.

DT seems like its one of the riskiest positions to draft early. Bryant and Sims are busts to this point, Haynesworth really isn't anything special for a 1st round pick either. The Saints also just traded/swapped Sullivan their early 1st round pick from a few years ago.

Not that its any consolation, but it just isn't Sims.

Count Zarth
06-10-2006, 07:23 AM

I'd love to see Sims in Denver. He'd probably suffer a coronary in that thin air.

Coogs
06-10-2006, 08:24 AM
Wouldn't it be ironic if Sims is a stud in the cover two system? He wasn't very good in G-Rob's spinner system (at least for a #6 overall pick). He wasn't very good in Gun's system (at least for a #6 overall pick). Now that he is going into his 3rd different system.... Herm's Tampa cover two system... maybe he will shine.

Tribal Warfare
06-10-2006, 09:36 AM

I have to disagree too, Tamba played balls out every play for every game. The guy has excellent character, and is a leader unlike Sims.