PDA

View Full Version : World Cup irony...

Moooo
06-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Its funny we have the 5th best ranked team in the whole world in the worlds most popular sport by far (F1 could come close), and we could give a flying f*ck less...

If the US wins the cup, It will be funny, cause the US won't care, and the rest of the world will be like, "WTF!?! The one country who couldn't care less wins!?!"

This strikes me as comical, obviously.

Moooo

Ultra Peanut
06-09-2006, 01:05 PM
I agree. Who cares?

Moooo
06-09-2006, 01:09 PM
I agree. Who cares?

You're a rare breed being a US soccer fan. I mean seriously in the grand scheme of things we don't give it near as much love as it probably deserves.

I find it ironic this is the absolutely most coveted thing in all of the land, and we have a country who couldn't care less. It's like the millionaire who wins the lottery. Everyone else is sitting around and wondering what the whole friggin point was...

Moooo

chagrin
06-09-2006, 01:12 PM
You're a rare breed being a US soccer fan. I mean seriously in the grand scheme of things we don't give it near as much love as it probably deserves.

I find it ironic this is the absolutely most coveted thing in all of the land, and we have a country who couldn't care less. It's like the millionaire who wins the lottery. Everyone else is sitting around and wondering what the whole friggin point was...

Moooo

:deevee:

DaFace
06-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Eh, I bet if the U.S. made it to the final game, there would be a ton of fairweather fans that tune in. But, yeah, we probably care less about it as a percentage of population than anyone else.

JimNasium
06-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Why are you trying to sell this so hard? We are not Europe or Latin America. To be fair, if we win we will see an increase in interest. It will not last though.....very reminiscent of Pele and Women's Olympic Gold.

KCTitus
06-09-2006, 01:21 PM
The US will be lucky to get out of the first group stage let alone make it past the round of 16 match this year. They are clearly a better squad than 2002, but wont get near as far in the tourney.

Pitt Gorilla
06-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Don't care? I hope the US wins in every sporting event. I can't imagine not caring.

Moooo
06-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Why are you trying to sell this so hard? We are not Europe or Latin America. To be fair, if we win we will see an increase in interest. It will not last though.....very reminiscent of Pele and Women's Olympic Gold.

I don't like soccer. I just saw a show on TV about it, and it struck me as funny. It'd be like an Expansion team in Canada winning the Super Bowl or like when the Blue Jays won the series. Most of Canada was like, "yaay, hockey's about to start!"

It'd just be ironically funny to see the most wanted trophy in the whole world go to a country that in general couldn't care less if they had it.

Moooo

JimNasium
06-09-2006, 01:23 PM
I don't like soccer. I just saw a show on TV about it, and it struck me as funny. It'd be like an Expansion team in Canada winning the Super Bowl or like when the Blue Jays won the series. Most of Canada was like, "yaay, hockey's about to start!"

It'd just be ironically funny to see the most wanted trophy in the whole world go to a country that in general could care less if they had it.

Moooo
Got it. I thought you might be a soccer Nazi trying to admonish us for not caring.

Moooo
06-09-2006, 01:26 PM
No, that will be the next post... :)

Moooo

P.S. Props on the Davey picture avatar.

Rain Man
06-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Didn't the Los Angeles Raiders win a Super Bowl once? It would be like that.

vailpass
06-09-2006, 01:30 PM
That would be great. The Euros would be so fricking mad and frustrated at our complete ambivalence they would blow a collective nut.

World Cup...Paper Cup...Nut Cup...Butter Cup..

So what?

When does training camp start?

BWillie
06-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Yeah, to put in perspective. The World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the WORLD. Let's rank the popular sports in the US shall we?

1. NFL
2. MLB
3. College Football
4. NBA
5. Nascar
6. College Basketball
7. Golf
8. Hockey

After that it's kind of a crap shoot for soccer, poker, tennis, etc.

Bob Dole
06-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Yeah, to put in perspective. The World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the WORLD. Let's rank the popular sports in the US shall we?

1. NFL
2. MLB
3. College Football
4. NBA
5. Nascar
6. College Basketball
7. Golf
8. College Basketball
9. Hockey

After that it's kind of a crap shoot for soccer, poker, tennis, etc.

Golf higher than college basketball?

Bob Dole doesn't recall reading any studies of the business productivity decline during the Masters.

BWillie
06-09-2006, 01:44 PM
I don't know what you are reading Bobby Dole, but golf is lower than college bball on my list. The most exciting day of the Masters is on Saturday and Sunday, while the most exciting days of the NCAA Tourney are the first couple of rounds which occur on a workday.

Bob Dole
06-09-2006, 01:46 PM
I don't know what you are reading Bobby Dole, but golf is lower than college bball on my list. The most exciting day of the Masters is on Saturday and Sunday, while the most exciting days of the NCAA Tourney are the first couple of rounds which occur on a workday.

Bob Dole couldn't think of anything else smartass to say about the way you hedged your rankings.

6. College Basketball
7. Golf
8. College Basketball

Moooo
06-09-2006, 01:47 PM

Bob Dole doesn't recall reading any studies of the business productivity decline during the Masters.

The only two rounds people watch are on during the weekends...LOL

And besides, even golf at its finest isn't a emotion-conjuring sport, it's like...wow that's a good shot...I'm hungry.

I would agree with you, though, College Basketball has a sort of atmosphere to it that most everyone watches during March. Hell, they put it on over soap operas cause they know that all these offices around the country are gonna turn on their televisions for it.

Moooo

JimNasium
06-09-2006, 01:47 PM

He's got College basketball on the list twice. Typo?

DaKCMan AP
06-09-2006, 01:50 PM
I'd care more if the world would stop referring to this sport as football (futbol). It's soccer, damnit!!

HolmeZz
06-09-2006, 01:50 PM
We won't win the cup.

That said, I think the World Cup and soccer in general are a lot more popular in the States than we give it credit for.

And yeah, I do think the country will pay attention and celebrate the team if they end up doing well. Getting out of the group'll be a tough task though.

vailpass
06-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Rocky Mountain News

Lincicome: If you care about World Cup, take Brazil
June 8, 2006

Who was it who said the main value of soccer in this country is in junior high school gym classes as a phys-ed credit for kids who are free to use their hands to push their glasses up their noses?

Oh, wait. That was me.

What's the newer joke? The best reason to build walls along our borders is to keep soccer out. That's not mine. Nor would I say anything of the sort. It is very easy to kick a soccer ball over a wall. I once saw an American goalie kick one across a river.

Soccer is taken seriously almost everywhere else but here. Even we give it token attention from time to time, that time being every four years and while we were not paying attention, it is time again.

The World Cup at least includes most of the world, from Togo to Serbia and Montenegro, together for one last time, 32 nations ready to frolic across the German summer, without, one assumes, holding grudges.

Our World Series does not include most of the United States, settling more often than not in New York with the Yankees and another team. The World Cup eventually gets down to its own South American Yankees, the Brazilians.

All the buzz is Brazil. Well, not buzz exactly, not on this side of the Atlantic. It is more like one of those clues you used to find inside bubble-gum wrappers.

World Cup fever does take some hunting up.

It all starts today in Munich, and it will last until, who knows? Until we start paying attention, I guess. The world -really does not care if we do not care but they pretend.

Kind of like France and Lance Armstrong.

Armstrong won the Tour de France seven times, and the French seemed happy for him until he no longer wanted to race in it. Then the French tried to prove that he should not have won it at all.

Same thing might happen should the old, apathetic U.S. of A. win this thing. My guess is someone over there would try to figure out some way to take it back. Giving that goofy little trophy to the U.S. would be like dressing a pet, unwise, unnecessary and unwelcome.

It took the Dutch, generally neutral in all things except soccer, to clear Armstrong. Not that this has anything to do with soccer, except to illustrate how we don't care about things that don't matter to us. But we are caring more.

Soccer is a fragile nuisance in America, more tolerated than encouraged, yet its tenacity is admirable. Every "no" sounds like a "maybe."

No longer do only 20 percent of Americans have any idea what the World Cup is, but a full 30 percent have caught on, according to the latest polls.

Do not bother, however, to ask three of the next 10 people you meet who Ronaldinho is because more of them are likely to think he is the guy who poses for those romance novel covers than the most gifted of World Cup soccer stars.

In order to figure the kind of chance the U.S. has in this thing, I admit to relying on the opinion of others, and it varies from good chance to don't make me laugh.

The Americans are generally lumped somewhere in the middle of things, better than Sweden, worse than Mexico.

We are a little under-soccered hereabouts, though that may not have anything to do with the appeal of the World Cup. Someone pointed out that even if the figures are right, still 90 million of us do care and that is more than the population of most countries who will be kicking the ball uber Deutschland and alles of that.

So, if they aren't worried about it, I certainly am not. If the World Cup is just some ethnic buffet table for second, third and fourth generations to nibble at every four years, that is fine.

Just as long as we keep turning out more linebackers than midfielders and as many of our future shortstops come from Mississippi as the Dominican Republic.

So, I give you Brazil, the easy choice. Easier to say than Gelsenkirchen, which is where the U.S. opens on Monday, against the Czech Republic, about whom this is known: Besides being the No. 2-ranked team in the world, they are no longer hip-joined with Slovakia, which ought to make it easier to play soccer.

In the U.S. group are also Ghana and Italy, and just as much is known about them. Neither is connected to Slovakia either. And that is about as deep as this scouting report is going to get.

When in doubt, take the Yankees. Take Brazil.

lincicomeb@RockyMountainNews.com or 303-892-2411

MORE LINCICOME COLUMNS

Copyright 2006, Rocky Mountain News. All Rights Reserved.

Bob Dole
06-09-2006, 01:52 PM
We won't win the cup.

That said, I think the World Cup and soccer in general are a lot more popular in the States than we give it credit for.

It's due to all the immigrants.

BWillie
He's got College basketball on the list twice. Typo?

All fixed, I meant to put it ahead of golf. I hate NASCAR, but I have to admit it's really popular. I'd be inclined to say that Chris Moneymaker, Phil Ivey, and Phill Hellmuth are more popular in our country than certainly any US soccer player and this Ronaldino guy.

Moooo
We won't win the cup.

And yeah, I do think the country will pay attention and celebrate the team if they end up doing well. Getting out of the group'll be a tough task though.

Why don't they do just a straight up bracket system? It'd be a lot more up for grabs, and consequently a lot more fun...

Moooo

HolmeZz
06-09-2006, 01:54 PM
It's due to all the immigrants.

I'm not an immigrant and neither are all my friends who I know are following it. :p

DaKCMan AP
06-09-2006, 01:54 PM
The majority of people that I know who are interested in the world cup are other nationalities. They were talking about it the other night at the pool and a couple said that the US would have a better shot of winning if our women's team was playing. I can't comment since I don't know jack about soccer.

HolmeZz
06-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Why don't they do just a straight up bracket system? It'd be a lot more up for grabs, and consequently a lot more fun...

Moooo

They do do a bracket system. It just happens after pool play. It's just a way to make sure the best teams win.

The only gripe I do have is with the picking of the groups. Rather than picking the teams randomly, I think they should try and seed teams and then group'em.

Bob Dole
06-09-2006, 01:56 PM
I'm not an immigrant and neither are all my friends who I know are following it. :p

Okay. So two of the U.S. soccer fans aren't immigrants.

That's hardly statistically significant.

KCTitus
06-09-2006, 01:57 PM
...a couple said that the US would have a better shot of winning if our women's team was playing. I can't comment since I don't know jack about soccer.

That's harsh, but abjectly absurd. While the US womens team could probably have beaten the 1998 Steve Sampson squad, that's not the case this year or in 2002. I think that reaction is just because the US is starting to become competitive in the one sport it's licked bag in for many years and there's geniune resentment of this fact since the US dominates all other 'major' sports

HolmeZz
06-09-2006, 01:57 PM
The majority of people that I know who are interested in the world cup are other nationalities. They were talking about it the other night at the pool and a couple said that the US would have a better shot of winning if our women's team was playing. I can't comment since I don't know jack about soccer.

What nationality was he?

KCTitus
06-09-2006, 01:59 PM
The only gripe I do have is with the picking of the groups. Rather than picking the teams randomly, I think they should try and seed teams and then group'em.

They do, only the seed the top 8 and those top 8 are put into separate groups--this eliminates the possibility of Brazil, Germany and Italy finding themselves in the same group.

Moooo
06-09-2006, 02:00 PM
They do do a bracket system. It just happens after pool play. It's just a way to make sure the best teams win.

I hate pool playing. Its dumb and takes out the Cinderella effect. Then again, I'm against the NFL bye. I think a week off is too much of a reward, putting yourself up against the eighth seed should be enough.

Moooo

HolmeZz
Okay. So two of the U.S. soccer fans aren't immigrants.

That's hardly statistically significant.

I think it's a regional thing. The coasts generally care more about soccer than the middle of the country. Part of it is because of immigrant influence, but I do think there's a general soccer following in the U.S.

BWillie

The women would lose 11-0. Women can SORT OF compete with men in such sports like golf where speed, strength, and explosiveness are much of a factor. I remember when I played freshman basketball in high school, we had to scrimmage the varsity girls basketball team who was ranked #3 in the state. I was so scared because I thought we'd get waxed by a bunch of girls. We won 97-34. And we have two freshman teams..

Moooo
06-09-2006, 02:01 PM
They do, only the seed the top 8 and those top 8 are put into separate groups--this eliminates the possibility of Brazil, Germany and Italy finding themselves in the same group.

If the US is 5th, why are we in the same group as someone who is 2nd (or so ESPN said).

Moooo

HolmeZz
06-09-2006, 02:01 PM

I think they should do that the whole way through. Just to prevent a weak team getting out of a group just because there was only one good team in a particular pool.

KCTitus
06-09-2006, 02:05 PM
If the US is 5th, why are we in the same group as someone who is 2nd (or so ESPN said).

Moooo

Those rankings are screwy--I think it's more convoluted than the BCS Ive never found a good explanation, but suffice to say, FIFA's top 8 did not include the US which is why they were seeded in 'Italy's' group.

KCTitus
06-09-2006, 02:06 PM
I think they should do that the whole way through. Just to prevent a weak team getting out of a group just because there was only one good team in a particular pool.

Given they way they do the first round, it pretty much eliminates that possibility. Each team plays against the others in their group and the top 2 move on.

Rain Man
06-09-2006, 02:07 PM
I don't follow the World Cup at all. Is there any particular team I should be rooting for?

alanm
06-09-2006, 02:09 PM

Moooo
Are you kidding? It's the single most boring spectator sport ever conceived by man. Watching someone fish might be 2nd. ROFL

HolmeZz
06-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Given they way they do the first round, it pretty much eliminates that possibility. Each team plays against the others in their group and the top 2 move on.

You misunderstood. If a pool has 1 good team and 3 of the lesser teams, one of those weaker teams HAS to move on to the next round. And it's possible because of that that another pool could have 3 good teams, preventing one of those good teams from advancing.

pr_capone
06-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Robin Williams does a great skit about the World Cup (2002) and the US finally making the cut on his Live on Broadway show.

Unfortunately I cannot find it on google or youtube so its up to you to find and watch. DEFINATELY worth the wait though.

Moooo
06-09-2006, 02:11 PM
I don't follow the World Cup at all. Is there any particular team I should be rooting for?

You can go for US, or go for someone else... its all good IMO.

During the olympics, I become a RABID team Finland fan. I was going NUTS for the Hockey team until... :(

My reason is my grammy is from there and since I lived with her for a lot of my life I kinda had her Finnish patriotism rub off on me. Its a country about the size of Missouri in population, so you have to cheer louder for the whole World to hear you :) .

Moooo

KCTitus
06-09-2006, 02:11 PM

4 of 5 bandwagon fans choose Brazil.

I typically go with England...underdogs but with a competitive chance.

memyselfI
06-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Face it,

Americans cannot tolerate a game of endurance, strategy, grit, skill, finesse, and patience...

unless it's chess or golf. They need ACTION and aggression. They need instant gratification. John Wayne doesn't do finesse.

Moooo
06-09-2006, 02:12 PM
You misunderstood. If a pool has 1 good team and 3 of the lesser teams, one of those weaker teams HAS to move on to the next round. And it's possible because of that that another pool could have 3 good teams, preventing one of those good teams from advancing.

So do away with the pool and go bracket on em a'la March Madness!!!

Moooo

KCTitus
06-09-2006, 02:14 PM

No, I understood just fine. Your scenario wouldnt happen given the current set up. Basically the top 10 doesnt play the top 10 until the round of 16...

KCTitus
06-09-2006, 02:15 PM
So do away with the pool and go bracket on em a'la March Madness!!!

Moooo

March Madness favors 4 teams, this format favors 8...I like this format better for this event.

Moooo
06-09-2006, 02:20 PM
March Madness favors 4 teams, this format favors 8...I like this format better for this event.

You could do it just the same, just change the numbers. At the end, you'll have 8 1 seeds instead of 4-1s and 4-2s. REally the numbers when it comes to how many you have of each is irrelevant. I mean you could have a 1-64, the only real difference is saying one team s mildly better than the other. And most of the time the bracketologists mess it up enough that there's a bit of ambiguity between who is a good one seed or two seed enough that this point becomes moot.

Moooo

BWillie
06-09-2006, 02:24 PM
The fact that the World Cup is every 4 years doesn't make sense to me. If it's the biggest eent in the world, why not have it at least every two years. It would be just as popular and would earn more money.

KCTitus
06-09-2006, 02:25 PM
The fact that the World Cup is every 4 years doesn't make sense to me. If it's the biggest eent in the world, why not have it at least every two years. It would be just as popular and would earn more money.

It takes almost 2 years just to qualify.

Duck Dog
06-09-2006, 02:31 PM
I think Americans just doesn't care for a sport that's for boys who throw like girls.

HolmeZz
06-09-2006, 02:32 PM

I think the fact that it's once every 4 years just adds to the importance and meaning of it.

HolmeZz
06-09-2006, 02:36 PM
No, I understood just fine. Your scenario wouldnt happen given the current set up. Basically the top 10 doesnt play the top 10 until the round of 16...

I think we'll just have to disagree, because I don't think anyone other than Spain would normally advance to round 2 out of Group H. I think Group F is a bit weak after France as well.

Frankie
06-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Its funny we have the 5th best ranked team in the whole world in the worlds most popular sport by far (F1 could come close), and we could give a flying f*ck less...

If the US wins the cup, It will be funny, cause the US won't care, and the rest of the world will be like, "WTF!?! The one country who couldn't care less wins!?!"

This strikes me as comical, obviously.

Moooo
I'm not sure how FIFA ranks teams. At this stage of their debvelopment I still think the U.S. is nowhere near 5th in the world. I don't get it.

Frankie
06-09-2006, 02:46 PM
The US will be lucky to get out of the first group stage let alone make it past the round of 16 match this year. They are clearly a better squad than 2002, but wont get near as far in the tourney.
I agree. Unfortunately the U.S. is in a real tough bracket.

HolmeZz
06-09-2006, 02:47 PM
The World Cup rankings were a lot more realistic than those that had the US 5th. Argentina, Brazil, Italy, England, Germany, France, Mexico, and Spain made up their top 8.

Frankie
06-09-2006, 02:49 PM
I knew there would be a chink in the armor. :( And here I thought you were the perfect planeteer!

Frankie
06-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Are you kidding? It's the single most boring spectator sport ever conceived by man. Watching someone fish might be 2nd. ROFL
Hey, take your baseball comments to a baseball thread. This is a soccer thread.

KCTitus
06-09-2006, 02:58 PM
I think we'll just have to disagree, because I don't think anyone other than Spain would normally advance to round 2 out of Group H. I think Group F is a bit weak after France as well.

Well, let's put it this way...if you're a top 16 team, you should make it to round of 16. Will #20 get there instead of #16 in certain draws, possibly, but there isnt that great of a difference between #16 and #20 when they have to play #4 overall.

Rain Man
06-09-2006, 03:03 PM
I knew there would be a chink in the armor. :( And here I thought you were the perfect planeteer!

The thing that hurts the worst is knowing that I've disappointed you.

kepp
06-09-2006, 03:23 PM
That would be great. The Euros would be so fricking mad and frustrated at our complete ambivalence they would blow a collective nut.
I'm sure France would start a blood-doping investigation.

vailpass
06-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Face it,

Americans cannot tolerate a game of endurance, strategy, grit, skill, finesse, and patience...

unless it's chess or golf. They need ACTION and aggression. They need instant gratification. John Wayne doesn't do finesse.

God you are a cumb dunt. Why the hell do you stay in this country? Get back to the DC where you belong.
Just because there is a soccer fag thread out here does not mean you are free to roam and terrorize the normal people.
Get back under the stairs NOW!

KCChiefsFan88
06-09-2006, 03:27 PM
I can't stand all the soccer zealots who harp on the fact we are totally uninterested in soccer. We are more sophisticated sports fans and are able to follow more sophisticated sports which require FAR more strategy such as football, baseball and basketball.

Iowanian
06-09-2006, 03:30 PM
I hate Soccer.

I ALWAYS want the USA to win at ANYTHING we compete in.

I want the US team to Win the world cup, so we can keep pocket change in just as an eff u to world.

Frankie
06-09-2006, 04:34 PM
The thing that hurts the worst is knowing that I've disappointed you.
Worry not my son. You shall see the light and be saved.

Clint in Wichita
06-09-2006, 04:41 PM
I hate Soccer.

I ALWAYS want the USA to win at ANYTHING we compete in.

I want the US team to Win the world cup, so we can keep pocket change in just as an eff u to world.

I think winning the World Cup is equivalent to winning a gold in the Special Olympics.

(Out loud) "Hooray! Great job, guys!"

(Under breath) "Fricken retards, who gives a s_it?"

KChiefs1
06-09-2006, 06:16 PM
The World Cup?

svuba
06-09-2006, 06:21 PM
The World Cup rankings were a lot more realistic than those that had the US 5th. Argentina, Brazil, Italy, England, Germany, France, Mexico, and Spain made up their top 8.

Mexico? We OWN Mexico, so we must be in the top 8

carlos3652
06-09-2006, 06:40 PM
heh... hope the US does well, rooting for my Argentina to finally not choke and win something...

MLS blows balls, and until that gets fixed and gets popular, soccer in the US will not be very popular.

I love soccer, I hate the MLS...

Rain Man
06-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Mexico? We OWN Mexico, so we must be in the top 8

All we would have to do is yell "INS! INS!" before the game, and they'd have to forfeit.

Oh. Wait. That probably doesn't work as well when they're people who actually live in Mexico.