PDA

View Full Version : Another Davinci Code thread I'd like your input on.

wutamess
06-09-2006, 01:18 PM
I just finished the book and yet to have seen the movie.

My question is this...
I notice when people speak of their opinion of the book they say it's fiction with truth within it. How much do you guys believe is truth within it. All of origin/history (of certain origins and meanings) he presented seemed pretty truthful and he used the story line to present his idea.

It's like he just thought of an interesting storyline just to get this truth out to enlighten people in multitude.

Since going to college in '95, I've began to change my Batpist & Non-Denominational views to dispise all religions. Not for their allegories or stories but more for their cover-ups and lies to "scare" people to believe in them. (Council of Nicea in 325 AD)(Roman empire crucifying Jesus only to make his ideaology the official religion 300 years later)(Our holidays etc matching with the pagan holidays which are based off of certain alignments of the sun).

Anyhow, in college I began researching things for myself and a lot of what Divinci uncovered in the book wasn't new (still it was an interesting read).

I'm anxious to see if you guys think (besides the plot) what else do you consider false, etc.

Sully
06-09-2006, 01:24 PM
There were some useful (to Brown) skews of the facts. The biggest one folks point to is the line where they are discussing the vote, and Langdon (or was it Teabing?) claim it was a close vote, but it was actually a landslide.

I think what you are going through... asking these types of questions, is by far the good that comes from this book, and BY FAR outweighs the bad. There are so many shows on Discover Channel, History Channel...all channels, really, that dive into all the truths and falsities of the book. It has also spawned tons of non-fiction books either pro or con to the main ideas in Brown's book.

Bottom line, though, is that no one can really tell you what's true or not. Not anyone on Chiefsplanet, and none of the "experts." It's a great thing to research it and find your own truth, though. That's what will ultimately bring you closer to God. Between my fiance and the results of my research of the book, I feel closer to God than ever in my life, and I grew up in a very religious Baptist home.

wutamess
06-09-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm not asking anyone to convince me of the truth or lie... I'm asking other peoples views.

I already have my hangups with religion and noone is going to change them... especially if they are one sided in an open discussion.

I'm very secure in my beliefs so this isn't a soul searching post... it's a discussion post as I want to know if the book did what it was intended to do (stir the pot).

Sully
06-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Yeah... sorry. I get carried away from time to time.
It definitely stirred the pot. I think that it has enlightened some folks, as well, about the origins of their religion. I think that is balanced a little by those who wish to close the door to that. But overall, accurate or not, I think it has done some good in regards to removing the "God Filter" that religions can be, at times.

My opinion:
Do I think Jesus was married and had a child?
I don't know that there is sturdy enough evidence either way. It is certainly fun to think about. What a fargin' brat to raise, though...
"Go to bed."
"No, my daddy is Jesus!!!"
There is such a gap in the story of Jesus' life that I would tend to lean toward believing that there is something to it, when you consider some of the gospels which aren't included in the Bible and what they say about Mary M.
The movie makes the point better than the book, in the way of saying, it shouldn't matter. The story should still be inspiring and a guide, whether Jesus was married or not.

wutamess
06-09-2006, 01:47 PM
My belief is that Jesus was nothing more than a man. So as a man he did manly things. Just as Martin Luther King was a man that did manly things(noted cheater, etc.)

I can't wait to see the movie having read the book.

BWillie
06-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Well I certainly wouldn't put it past the Catholic Church to cover anything up. Do you know what they did to Galileo when he told them the Earth revolved around the Sun and that we are not in the center of the universe? They freaking hung him. Now, the Church did apologize for the act a thousand years later sometime in the 90's.

Religion in general is bunk. Protestants that don't believe in evolution, big bang, etc. say they don't believe in just "theories". Well, gravity is a theory. It's not like it doesn't exist.

Sully
06-09-2006, 03:14 PM
My belief is that Jesus was nothing more than a man. So as a man he did manly things. Just as Martin Luther King was a man that did manly things(noted cheater, etc.)

I can't wait to see the movie having read the book.

Sounds fair.
I see Jesus as a little more than that, but at the same time, he WAS on earth as a human, so what would be so wrong with him having human relationships, etc.

Pitt Gorilla
06-09-2006, 03:27 PM
I agree that the Discovery and History Channels have some nice shows around the events depicted in the book/film.

It wouldn't impact my beliefs one bit if Jesus had been married and had kids. It's silly to think that would change the meaning of his teachings.

BTW,
I just saw the movie and liked it a lot.

wutamess
06-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Well he was more than that on the aspect that he was a revolutionist (in my eyes). On the same accord that MLK Jr. was a representative/revolutionist for his people.

Having said that.... my beliefs used to evolve around Jesus being the person to be put here to die for our sins and that he was God in the flesh and that he was perfect and of the trinity & that we were not suppose to question (the Christian) God or his motives.

But my common sense accompanied by the readings (before The Davinci Code) leads me to believe that the entire religion was made up and is actually a fabrication for something non-other than to control the masses and to keep the masses morale. After reading about the Christian origins, I've come to notice that almost all religions share a similar story. Again, I've known about this WAY before reading the book.

Chieficus
06-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Brown is big on the gnostics and big on transforming stuff like Nicea into controversies and coverups. What he expounds is either historically unreliable or just flat out wrong (see the comment about the Nicea vote someone made above). He wrote a piece of fiction that many people are taking and running with as truth, and it is all quite absurd...

DaneMcCloud
06-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Well he was more than that on the aspect that he was a revolutionist (in my eyes). On the same accord that MLK Jr. was a representative/revolutionist for his people.

Having said that.... my beliefs used to evolve around Jesus being the person to be put here to die for our sins and that he was God in the flesh and that he was perfect and of the trinity & that we were not suppose to question (the Christian) God or his motives.

But my common sense accompanied by the readings (before The Davinci Code) leads me to believe that the entire religion was made up and is actually a fabrication. After reading about the Christianity origins, I've come to notice that almost all religions share a similar story. Again, I've known about this WAY before reading the book.

For better or worse, I'd have to agree with you. I was raised Catholic but religion has always been used for "evil" and not for good in my case. The "wrath of God" stuff gets really old to a 7-year old, especially when it's based on lies. My parents taught me that dogs and cats had the power of speech (and my great grandmother was present on this conversation) but they swore too much so God took away their ability to speak. You can only guess how stupid I looked when I brought that up in CCD class when I was 7 years old.

Also, some family members were having marital problems and turned to the Church. All that happened next was that the priest hooked up with a family member and broke up that family.

On top of that, it absolutely sickens me to see Jesus portrayed as a Caucasian in art throughout history. Jesus probably looked like Osama Bin Laden, not Jim Caviezel. When recently visiting New York, I visited the NY Public library and saw paintings of Moses destroying the 10 Commandments and Jesus with a flock of children. I wondered how quickly those would have been removed if they were painted acccurately, with Arabs and not white people.

The more I have research and read, the whole Catholic Church (with its evil history) just seems like a ploy to control mankind through fear of the unknown. You don't think like us? You're blasphemus and must be killed. You won't answer us? You're evil and must be killed. You question our authority? You must be killed. Just on and on and on.

Furthermore, I still find it hard to believe that God created this entire universe, with millions upons millions of different species of life on Earth (and who knows where else) just to allow Humans to kill one another in his name. It just doesn't make any sense.

wutamess
06-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Furthermore, I still find it hard to believe that God created this entire universe, with millions upons millions of different species of life on Earth (and who knows where else) just to allow Humans to kill one another in his name. It just doesn't make any sense.

So freaking true...
My biggest issue with religions in general has to do with that.

If The Christian God was this all powerful hooplah... then why in the hell would he make all of this just to give people the chance to get to heaven. Why even play the game of life to see who's worthy of heaven.

Wouldn't God already have his heaven and his people already on it?

That idea alone made me try to seek all viewpoints and use my common sense to make my ideaology I have today.

Some of this stuff is just plain rediculous.

What pisses me off even further is... Before me & my wife got married we had to get marriage counseling before the pastor would marry us in his church. It's basically a 5 week meeting to see where our heads are at to see if we were compatible or whatever.

Anyhow, I asked him about the differencesin his religion over others and such. Of course, the only difference was that his representetive to God was Jesus. Then he proceeded to explain that all of his believings he believed by faith. The same faith that's been used to kill more people in all of the history mankind.