PDA

View Full Version : Ethics question: Would this have been a good deed?

Rain Man
06-09-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm really running out of gas on a Friday afternoon, so I bugged out for a few minutes and took a walk around the pedestrian mall. Since it's kind of hot, I wandered in and out of a few stores to get the air conditioning and people-watch a little bit.

I'm in some clothing store, and there's a little kid walking around, maybe three or four tops. His mother is yelling for him to come back, and he turns and toddles back to her. She crouches down at his level, her back to me and him facing me, and says [reproduced more or less verbatim],

"Don't you ever wander away from me! If you do, some strange man is going to take you by the hand and he's going to walk you right out of that store and I'm never going to see you again. A stranger will take you! I don't want to lose you, so don't you ever walk away from me again. If you do, I'll spank you."

What is my moral duty here? I was standing about four feet away, and it would have been very easy for me to get the kid's attention, snarl at him, point at myself, and pantomime the acts that she was describing. It would have really helped drive home the mother's point. Should I have helped her out?

Donger
06-09-2006, 04:18 PM
I'm really running out of gas on a Friday afternoon, so I bugged out for a few minutes and took a walk around the pedestrian mall. Since it's kind of hot, I wandered in and out of a few stores to get the air conditioning and people-watch a little bit.

I'm in some clothing store, and there's a little kid walking around, maybe three or four tops. His mother is yelling for him to come back, and he turns and toddles back to her. She crouches down at his level, her back to me and him facing me, and says [reproduced more or less verbatim],

"Don't you ever wander away from me! If you do, some strange man is going to take you by the hand and he's going to walk you right out of that store and I'm never going to see you again. A stranger will take you! I don't want to lose you, so don't you ever walk away from me again. If you do, I'll spank you."

What is my moral duty here? I was standing about four feet away, and it would have been very easy for me to get the kid's attention, snarl at him, point at myself, and pantomime the acts that she was describing. It would have really helped drive home the mother's point. Should I have helped her out?

Yes, absolutely. Although you'd probably have been arrested.

RedNFeisty
06-09-2006, 04:20 PM
I think it might have been a good deed. A strange man making the point his mother was trying to make. If a man were to do that when I was scolding my little one I may give him a strange look, but than I could look at my son and say "I told you so!" It might have brought it home for him so that he could understand a little better what his mother was talking about. Children don't know what the dangers are so when scolded they don't really understand, certainly at the age of 2, 3, and 4.

RedNFeisty
06-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Yes, absolutely. Although you'd probably have been arrested.

Donger, are you the one that voted he should have went back and watch women buy bra's!?!?!

I knew you had it in you! :)

Rain Man
06-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Donger, are you the one that voted he should have went back and watch women buy bra's!?!?!

I knew you had it in you! :)

Actually, that was me.

The Red Sea
06-09-2006, 04:25 PM
At the very least I suppose you shouldve tested the kid by asking if he wanted to go outside & help you find your lost little puppy!...

Then if he said Yes..you start screaming at him all the disgusting things you wouldve done to him If you were for real!

Yeah...good lesson there for sure the little brat deserved it!

Ummm please ignore the above I'm a Dad x 2 And I cant believe I wrote that! =P

Tell you the truth dont all us Fathers wish they could set their kids up in a way like this just to know for sure youve taught them well?

My oldest boys six & sometimes when hes not in my sight I cant help but wonder about this.

RedNFeisty
06-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Actually, that was me.

You ****ing crack me up!!

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Sorry Donger!

RedNFeisty
06-09-2006, 04:29 PM
At the very least I suppose you shouldve tested the kid by asking if he wanted to go outside & help you find your lost little puppy!...

Then if he said Yes..you start screaming at him all the disgusting things you wouldve done to him If you were for real!

Yeah...good lesson there for sure the little brat deserved it!

Ummm please ignore the above I'm a Dad x 2 And I cant believe I wrote that! =P

Tell you the truth dont all us Fathers wish they could set their kids up in a way like this just to know for sure youve taught them well?

My oldest boys six & sometimes when hes not in my sight I cant help but wonder about this.

Test them yourself, have a co-work that you'r child does not know help. I think that is a fantastic idea, seen it done on 20/20 or shows alike and the results were amazing and shocking.

StcChief
06-09-2006, 04:31 PM
MYOB...but ask her if she wants to try it if he takes off again. Kids do that just for attention.

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-09-2006, 04:39 PM
The piercing stare of a psychopath was definitely in order.

Bob Dole
Bob Dole thinks it would solve all the problems if people wouldn't take their children out in public until they're at least 14 years old.

Bob Dole
The piercing stare of a psychopath was definitely in order.

You've never seen Rainman, have you?

blueballs
06-09-2006, 04:44 PM
ask him if he wants
to go outside and make
a snowman with boobies

trndobrd
06-09-2006, 04:59 PM
You should have helped Mom out with the scary molester routine. All the fellas in general population would really enjoy your story about how you were just trying to help a mother and are not really a child molester.

It's shower time Mr. Helpful.

sedated
06-09-2006, 05:06 PM
offer the kid some candy, say you have it in your van outside

Logical
06-09-2006, 05:21 PM
I don't think this is an ethical issue but a common sense one. The question is do you want an angry mom kicking your azz and calling in the police when you are only trying to help, but she does not understand.

Go look at women shopping for Bras.

BucEyedPea
06-09-2006, 05:23 PM
The question is do you want an angry mom kicking your azz and calling in the police when you are only trying to help, but she does not understand.

I could dig doing that! :) I lost my then 2.5 year old once at the mall.