PDA

View Full Version : Report: NFLPA against blood testing for HGH

tk13
06-10-2006, 02:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2478299

Report: NFLPA against blood testing for HGH
ESPN.com news services

The NFL Players Association doubts the validity of current testing methods for human growth hormone and says the league does not intend to implement blood testing of its players for HGH, The Washington Post reported Saturday.

NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw told the newspaper that he and other league leaders doubt the reliability of blood testing first used at the 2004 Athens Olympics.

"What we're doing at this point is reviewing to see about the performance of the test," Upshaw told The Post. "We're not so sure the test works. There's no urine test, and even the blood test is not reliable."

Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Jason Grimsley admitted to federal investigators that he took human growth hormone, steroids and amphetamines, according to court documents.

According to The Post, growth hormone is on the league's list of banned substances, but there is no reliable urine test for it. Upshaw said he would oppose blood testing of players.

"When you start talking about coming in to take a person's blood, that's different than taking someone's urine," Upshaw told the NFLPA. "I know personally I would have a problem with someone coming in and trying to take the players' blood. I'm not ready to make that leap."

cdcox
06-10-2006, 03:08 PM
What, no one has invented the bloodinator yet?

StcChief
06-10-2006, 07:43 PM
[gomer pyle]surprise,surprise,surprise[/gomer pyle]

FringeNC
06-10-2006, 07:59 PM
It's about time there is talk of holding the NFL to the same standard as the MLB.

SLAG
06-10-2006, 08:00 PM
I work with the HGH all day long- maybe carl should give me a call

If i get big enough i will Advertise with these

http://www.advertisingballoons.com/images/nutropin1.jpg

Ebolapox
06-10-2006, 08:32 PM
the funny thing about blood testing is: even if it IS approved for testing by the NFLPA (or any other player's union), HGH testing is a total crapshoot... there's never (or at least I read that there hasn't been any as of yesterday) positive test results to the blood testing they can CURRENTLY do for the hgh blood tests... it'll be negative unless you catch a guy RIGHT AFTER he's injected... hgh is a naturally occurring chemical in the body--thus, almost impossible to test for (at least, until there's an advance in the technology of blood testing)

tk13
06-10-2006, 08:40 PM
the funny thing about blood testing is: even if it IS approved for testing by the NFLPA (or any other player's union), HGH testing is a total crapshoot... there's never (or at least I read that there hasn't been any as of yesterday) positive test results to the blood testing they can CURRENTLY do for the hgh blood tests... it'll be negative unless you catch a guy RIGHT AFTER he's injected... hgh is a naturally occurring chemical in the body--thus, almost impossible to test for (at least, until there's an advance in the technology of blood testing)
Yeah, that's precisely why they don't want to do it. There's been some talk by the baseball "experts" that baseball should just take blood tests, keep the blood, and whenever they do come up with a test use those blood samples.

I wouldn't be surprised if people tried to pressure Upshaw to agree to the same thing. I guess that's an idea, but then again who knows how long it'll take for them to actually come up with a test.