PDA

View Full Version : If you care about the internet.....you might want to pay attention to this.

Mecca
06-10-2006, 05:47 PM
At moment, there is a move by large ISPs to try to blackmail sites, and pretty much crush the internet. One of the foundations of the internet is the fact that as long as you have internet access, if a site is up, an not getting crushed with traffic, you should be able to get to it. Well, if these ISPs have their way, kiss that good bye.

See, the ISPs trying to do is to get more funds from large content sites. If some site is popular, they up their rate, no matter that they pay allready for their bandwidth, they want more cash, or they will alter the pipe speed to those sites. In other words, if Google does not pony up what Comcast demands, you access to the site will go to shit, if not stop all together. At moment, there is the COPE act, which would allow ISPs to do this, an kill internet neutrality.

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3601321

The ISPs have their own site for this, where they argue that the government should allow them to do this. An then they say they are doing this since these sites eat up bandwidth, and with the new fiber backbones said to be being laid, the ISPs need these additional funds.

Course, they leave out the litttle facts that allready, we the consumer, an the sites, all pay for acess, and sites for bandwidth. But that is not enough. An lets leave out the fact that the Telecommunications Act of 1996 had in it that the telco were to have fiber to homes allready by now.

A bill that seeks to prevent broadband providers from offering an exclusive high-speed lane for video and other services has taken a step closer to becoming law.

By a 20-13 vote Thursday that partially followed party lines, the House Judiciary Committee approved a bill that would require broadband providers to abide by strict Net neutrality principles, meaning that their networks must be operated in a "nondiscriminatory" manner.

All 14 Democrats on the committee (joined by 6 Republicans) supported the measure, while 13 Republicans opposed it.

The U.S. House of Representatives has defeated a provision to require U.S. broadband providers to offer the same speed of service to competitors that's available to partners, a major defeat to a coalition of online companies and consumer groups.

Google your state, an look up who your elected people are, an contact them via phone, and email. This is really something that if it passes, can **** ALOT of shit up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5RQrxkGgCM

bishop_74
06-10-2006, 05:58 PM
That doesn't make any sense to me... if all users are paying by the bit as it is, how is this going to be any different? In addition to this, there already is a "fastlane" for video and voice services. It's called QoS and can be applied to any traffic traversing the internet. Furthermore, multicast is becoming widely used and supported by major ISP's. Sounds like someone is trying to stir up some crap if you ask me.

chiefsfaninNC
06-10-2006, 06:01 PM
What does Al Gore think about this?

Jenson71
06-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Google your state, an look up who your elected people are, an contact them via phone, and email.

It can't be very good if the people who are paying for their internet have to google their state to see who their elected officials are.

StcChief
06-10-2006, 06:14 PM
F em. We will not allow these bastards to take over.

The uproar by too many sites, users will kill this.

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-10-2006, 06:28 PM
What does Al Gore think about this?
Al Gore says it doesn't matter because we'll all be dead in 10 years from global warming.

banyon
06-10-2006, 06:33 PM
If there's $$$mad jack$$$ to be made, you can bet the Repubs will support it, and the Dems will acquiese to it like the spineless cowards they have become.

FringeNC
06-10-2006, 06:40 PM
It's a good thing it didn't pass. All net neutrality is a government enforced speed limit / price control on the internet. Keep the f'n government out of it. Innovation stops when the government gets involved.

So what's wrong with with the telcos opening up a "fast lane"? You're not going to go any slower, but some bandwidth-intensive traffic gets moved to the fast lane (at a price, of course).

Let me ask you guys who get the MLB.TV package....Wouldn't you be willing to pay more if the broadcast quality of the games was better?

Guru
06-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Wish the NFL would do that on the internet.

Taco John
06-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Let me ask you guys who get the MLB.TV package....Wouldn't you be willing to pay more if the broadcast quality of the games was better?

No. I'm not going to pay more than $50 bucks. I'm happy with the quality.

Taco John
06-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Wish the NFL would do that on the internet.

:) I'm watching Dogers/Rockies right now...

Wish I was watching Rangers/Red Socks, but apparently the system thinks that it's a national broadcast... Not on my TV it isn't.

chiefsfaninNC
06-10-2006, 07:05 PM
It's a good thing it didn't pass. All net neutrality is a government enforced speed limit / price control on the internet. Keep the f'n government out of it. Innovation stops when the government gets involved.

So what's wrong with with the telcos opening up a "fast lane"? You're not going to go any slower, but some bandwidth-intensive traffic gets moved to the fast lane (at a price, of course).

You pay money to watch those cock bites after what they pulled during the last strike? I won't even watch for free!