PDA

View Full Version : I saw a triple play today

4th and Long
06-11-2006, 03:52 PM
And who'da' thunk it? It was the Royals that pulled it off. And here I thought the Sluggerrr Build-A-Bears I got for the girls were going to be the highlight of my day. Lord knows watching Elarton lob 69 mph pitches to the Devils Rays, combined with Gobble throwing everything over the heart of the plate, leading to Tampa Bay having a franchise home run day, was less than thrilling.

Royals turn bizarre triple play
Unconventional feat KC's first in over a decade
By Kevin Druley / MLB.com

KANSAS CITY -- The Royals' first triple play since April 3, 1996, was certainly unconventional.

Tampa Bay led Kansas City, 1-0, in the top of the second inning on Sunday with men on second and third when Rays right fielder Russell Branyan lofted a fly ball to shallow center field.

David DeJesus settled under the ball and threw wildly to home in an attempt to nab Aubrey Huff, who had appeared to tag up from third. The ball sailed over catcher Paul Bako's head, but was picked up by 6-foot-7 pitcher Scott Elarton, who was backing the play.

Rocco Baldelli then tried to tag up from first base, but was thrown out at second by Elarton. The crowd showed its appreciation at what was already an impressive double play. That was when things got bizarre.

The Royals appealed to third-base umpire Bob Davidson that Huff had left the base too early. Shortstop Angel Berroa threw to third baseman Mark Teahen.

The appeal was granted.

Rays manager Joe Maddon and third-base coach Tom Foley pleaded their case with Davidson, but he was unwavering in his decision.

The putout on the appeal was included as part of the triple play because of Rule 10.12, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. An appeal putout is part of a triple play if the ball, when in possession of the pitcher, results in an additional putout.

In the end, what transpired went as the sixth triple play in Royals franchise history. Elias also said that it was the first time Tampa Bay has hit into a triple play since the club began play in 1998.

Ari Chi3fs
06-11-2006, 03:55 PM
so you broke under the pressure and gave David glASS some more of your cash... the Slugger birthday bear marketing paid off, eh? heh.

I look forward to seeing the Triple Play replay... sounds interesting.

ChiefsFire
06-11-2006, 03:55 PM
wow

so there was someone who went to the egame today....

build-a-bear day right??

Moooo
06-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Not to be a downer, cause that's awesome to actually see something like that in person (one in maybe 50,000 people can say they've seen a MLB triple play), but you know whenever you have had a triple friggin play in a game, and can't find the motivation to score more than 2 runs, leaving who knows how many stranded, you have given up.

Moooo

4th and Long
06-11-2006, 03:59 PM
so you broke under the pressure and gave David glASS some more of your cash... the Slugger birthday bear marketing paid off, eh? heh.

I look forward to seeing the Triple Play replay... sounds interesting.
Yeah, we went. I promised the 4 and 6 year old. It's kinda hard to break a promise like that, espeially when they give you the, "Puppy Dog Eyes" look.

I was confused when the play happened. Took me a few seconds to realize what happened. I have no idea if Huff left the bag early or not.

4th and Long
06-11-2006, 04:00 PM
build-a-bear day right??
Mhmm.

VonneMarie
06-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Whoopitydoo!

4th and Long
06-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Not to be a downer, cause that's awesome to actually see something like that in person (one in maybe 50,000 people can say they've seen a MLB triple play), but you know whenever you have had a triple friggin play in a game, and can't find the motivation to score more than 2 runs, leaving who knows how many stranded, you have given up.

Moooo
You're not the downer. The Royals are. I thinking about starting a petition to have their named changed to The Kansas City Valiums.

Rain Man
06-11-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm not a baseball expert, but I can't figure out why someone was tagging up off of first if there were only runners on second and third.

4th and Long
06-11-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm not a baseball expert, but I can't figure out why someone was tagging up off of first if there were only runners on second and third.
He tagged and took off because the throw home was way the hell over Bako's head. I don't think he saw Elarton backing up the play.

The Red Sea
06-11-2006, 06:39 PM
I saw a Triple play today too!!..kind of..
I saw mine on Cinemax!

Count Zarth
06-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Cheapass triple play.

StcChief
06-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Cheapass triple play.

Most are..They invove at least runners that are off base early to hit and run or strech something out, generally just running mistakes.

Line drives must go thru forgotten.

Bob Dole
06-11-2006, 06:59 PM
He tagged and took off because the throw home was way the hell over Bako's head. I don't think he saw Elarton backing up the play.

Why was he there to tag up in the first place?

Rain Man
06-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Why was he there to tag up in the first place?

I'm starting to think that maybe Tampa was cheating by trying to sneak a guy onto first base when everyone's attention was on home plate.

BucEyedPea
06-11-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm starting to think that maybe Tampa was cheating by trying to sneak a guy onto first base when everyone's attention was on home plate.

Hey! Hey! Not Tampa Bay! :p

sd4chiefs
06-11-2006, 07:52 PM
When you suck like the Royals you have a better chance to get a triple play because there are a lot of times when the other team has a lot of players on the bases with no outs. :rolleyes:

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-11-2006, 09:58 PM
My senior year I was at Busch and saw the Cards hitback/back/back homeruns against the Cubs, and then JD Drew hit a Grand Slam in the next inning.

My 21st birthday I went to a game in Pittsburgh. The Cards Hit two 3 run HRs in the first and the Pirates pulled Josh Fogg before he got a single out.

Good times.

grandllama
06-11-2006, 10:00 PM
I saw a turtle.

greg63
06-11-2006, 10:15 PM
And who'da' thunk it?...

Indeed; must have been an off night for the other team; an exceptional night for the Royboys and all the Planets in the solar system must have been in some extraordinary alignment.

...Has anyone checked the temperature in Hell lately???