PDA

View Full Version : Cool - free phone.

Rain Man
06-12-2006, 07:50 AM
Maybe I'm just behind the times. I wandered into the Verizon shop with my wife last night, because she wanted to buy one of those little e-mail/phone/day timer thingies. I've got a phone that looks like it was run over by a cattle stampede, but I don't need anything fancy, so I resisted an urge to buy new gadgetry.

The Verizon maven was looking up our account numbers to get my wife's new gadgetry activated, and she told me that my plan lets me upgrade my phone every year for free. So I got to walk out with a brand new telephone at no cost. Is that cool or what?

And yeah, yeah, I know that I'm paying for it somewhere in my fees. But the key is that I didn't know I was paying for it, which kind of means that I didn't.

rageeumr
06-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Once a year?? Damn, I thought plans like that were usually once every 2 years. Of course I have the scourge of the wireless world (Nextel) and instead of giving you a phone every once in a while they graciously allow you to buy a phone at the same "discounted" (read: not overly marked up) price as those who are getting a new account. What a deal!

Rain Man
06-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Oh. I might have misspoken. I'm not sure if it's every year, because I've had my phone for a while. It may be "periodically" or something.

But aside from that, it was still free. And my new phone has a camera. I can have fun with a camera.

bobbything
06-12-2006, 08:09 AM
And yeah, yeah, I know that I'm paying for it somewhere in my fees. But the key is that I didn't know I was paying for it, which kind of means that I didn't.
You're paying for it in your contract extension. I'm sure you had to extend your service with them for another 2 or so years. If you terminate it early, you owe them about $200. If you keep it, they'll make even more off of you.

It's still not a bad deal, just letting you know how you're paying for that new phone.

DaKCMan AP
06-12-2006, 08:47 AM
yeah, our plan gives a phone upgrade every 2 years. (t-mobile)

pr_capone
06-12-2006, 09:15 AM
Once a year?? Damn, I thought plans like that were usually once every 2 years. Of course I have the scourge of the wireless world (Nextel) and instead of giving you a phone every once in a while they graciously allow you to buy a phone at the same "discounted" (read: not overly marked up) price as those who are getting a new account. What a deal!

You would be surprised what those phones cost the actuall cell phone company.

This was years ago but I used to work for VoiceStream Wireless (now T-Mobile) and the hot phone back in the day was the Nokia 5190. We sold that phone for $49 a pop but cost the company $300+. They get their money back by the service, they actually loose money on the phone itself.