PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben in motorcycle accident

CupidStunt
06-12-2006, 11:13 AM
No details available right now; updates forthcoming.

CupidStunt
06-12-2006, 11:14 AM
My bad.

A witness told Channel 4 Action News that Roethlisberger went over the handlebars, hit the windshield of another vehicle and then hit the ground.

Roethlisberger was not wearing a helmet, according to the paper.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/wtae/20060612/lo_wtae/9356067

Pierce
06-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Ouch...sounds pretty bad.

Donger
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/s_457685.html

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured in a motorcycle accident this morning on Second Avenue near the 10th Street bridge, police said.

The accident happened shortly before 11:25 a.m. He was not wearing a helmet. Police have closed down the bridge, Second Avenue and the Armstrong Tunnels.

CupidStunt
Pic of his bike: http://img.viacomlocalnetworks.com/images_sizedimage_163114652/lg

ROYC75
06-12-2006, 11:16 AM
I was just about to post this..........

Donger
Duplicate, please delete.

htismaqe
IIRC, ESPN or somebody was running a story around the time of the draft about NFL players and motorcycles and they specifically interviewed Roethlisberger.

When will they learn?

DaKCMan AP
06-12-2006, 11:19 AM
stupid ass

Brock
06-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Nothing personal to the other riders out there, but if you don't wear a helmet, you're not thinking clearly.

CoMoChief
06-12-2006, 11:20 AM
IIRC, ESPN or somebody was running a story around the time of the draft about NFL players and motorcycles and they specifically interviewed Roethlisberger.

When will they learn?

Yep, it was about clauses that some players have in their contracts to prevent them from riding motorcycles, or have some sort of clause that says they have to wear a helmet, and it was after the Kellen Winslow accident that they ran this story, and Big Ben was one of them who protested against having clauses in their contracts for things like that. Now he must pay the price.

alpha_omega
06-12-2006, 11:21 AM

When will they learn?

Yep...i thought this story sounded familiar as well.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-12-2006, 11:23 AM
The local affiliates out here are going ape shi%. No word on injuries but they have broken into the news. Hopefully nothing bad.

rageeumr
06-12-2006, 11:25 AM

When will they learn?

I'm not sure if that's the same show that my wife and I saw, but I think I remember him and his kid on the bike, both sans helmet. I remember at the time thinking "what an idiot."

Cochise
06-12-2006, 11:26 AM
In football objects collide with you going max 25 mph. And they are not made of glass, concrete, metal, etc.
Would he play football without a helmet?

I hope he's ok and everything... but what a moron.

BucEyedPea
06-12-2006, 11:28 AM
That's really a shame and no helmet? WTF?

I do say that what goes around comes back...not necessarily Ben himself...just thinkin' of Carson Palmer.

Bob Dole
06-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Quote from an NFL.com article from August 2005.

Helmet note: After Kellen Winslow Jr. seriously injured himself attempting a motorbike stunt, Roethlisberger declared he would continue to ride his motorcycle without a helmet, which is not required under Pennsylvania law. Yours truly was amazed the Pennsylvania state legislature did not immediately enact a helmet law, or perhaps a law denying motorcycle operator's licenses to members of professional sports teams. Anyway, it remains totally ridiculous, to say nothing of immature, that Roethlisberger, or anyone, rides a motorcycle without a helmet.

Link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8739142)

Brock
06-12-2006, 11:29 AM
That's really a shame and no helmet? WTF?

I do say that what goes around comes back...not necessarily Ben himself...just thinkin' of Carson Palmer.

:rolleyes:

Donger
06-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Roethlisberger to keep riding motorcycle (http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PIT/8449812)

PITTSBURGH (May 6, 2005) -- Despite Kellen Winslow 's accident and his own coach's admonition, Big Ben isn't hopping off his big bike just yet.

Ben Roethlisberger was lectured by Steelers coach Bill Cowher on the dangers of riding a motorcycle without a helmet -- as Roethlisberger has been spotted doing recently -- but the quarterback isn't ready to get off his $20,000 cycle.

"He talked about being a risk taker and I'm not really a risk taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said as the Steelers opened their minicamp. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

Asked why he doesn't wear a helmet -- something he wouldn't think about doing on a football field -- Roethlisberger pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended two years ago.

"Obviously Pennsylvania doesn't think people need to (wear a helmet)," he said. "There's a law you've got to wear it in football."

Steelers linebacker Joey Porter was surprised to hear the NFL offensive rookie of the year is taking such risks so soon after Winslow's accident. The Browns tight end, drafted five spots ahead of Roethlisberger last year, was injured May 1 when he flew off a newly purchased motorcycle after running into a parking lot curb.

"Some guys are real good on motorcycles and know what they're doing, but accidents happen," Porter said. "I can't knock the guy for doing it, but it's probably not the wisest thing to do. I don't own a bike because I don't trust them."

Porter occasionally gets on a Jet Ski, but he said that's different from steering a motorcycle through heavy traffic. Roethlisberger acknowledged many drivers become distracted when they see him riding, shouting or waving at him.

"If I fall off a Jet Ski, I hit the water, and I like my odds," Porter said. "I'm going to get wet. What I say about motorcycles is that concrete is undefeated."

Of course, Roethlisberger was, too, as a rookie, going 13-0 during the Steelers' team-record 15-1 regular season before losing to New England in the AFC championship game.

The Steelers are understandably cautious about combining a first-round draft choice and a high-speed vehicle. Gabe Rivera, the defensive lineman they chose instead of quarterback Dan Marino in the 1983 draft, was paralyzed after wrecking his sports car midway through his rookie season and hasn't walked since.

Many NFL contracts prohibit engaging in dangerous activities, but Roethlisberger's deal apparently doesn't specifically ban motorcycle riding.

Cowher didn't criticize Roethlisberger's riding, but is visibly uneasy with it.

"I certainly don't condone that," Cowher said. "It (playing pro football) is a very small time in your life and you've got to be very careful -- you can see it documented with Kellen Winslow in Cleveland. There are choices and consequences ... not just in riding motorcycles, but where you go and who you associate with. You have control over them but once you make your decision, they control you."

Meanwhile, all players reported to the minicamp, the formal start to the final month of the Steelers' offseason workouts. Most players will remain in town through mid-June for "coaching sessions," daily workouts that technically are voluntary but usually are fully attended.

Cochise
06-12-2006, 11:34 AM
It probably is not illegal for him to jump off the roof of his house onto the driveway either, but that's basically what he did.

I know that I have taken large rocks and stuff off my visor many times, to where I would probably be blind if I didn't wear one. I don't know what posesses people to think having one eye would be preferable to looking 'uncool'.

ROYC75
06-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Per John Clayton......... Hit the windshield of the other car and suffered cuts on his forehead, no other comments at this time.

Chiefnj
06-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Porter - "concrete is undefeated."

Bob Dole
06-12-2006, 11:36 AM
It will be interesting to hear whether this line from last year's interview turns out to be BS.

"Roethlisberger said he only rides in groups, which he said is safer than going alone..."

bkkcoh
Nothing personal to the other riders out there, but if you don't wear a helmet, you're not thinking clearly.

But, a law doesn't make the rider use a helmet. You can't legislate common sense, and isn't it common sense to where a motorcycle helmet if you are riding a bike.....

Bob Dole
Per John Clayton......... Hit the windshield of the other car and suffered cuts on his forehead, no other comments at this time.

Reports indicate he was conscious.

Rain Man
06-12-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm guessing that the person in the other vehicle should move from Pittsburgh immediately, even if it wasn't their fault.

Hope he's okay, and I'll echo the "no helmet is a bad move" comments.

Bob Dole
It probably is not illegal for him to jump off the roof of his house onto the driveway either, but that's basically what he did.

I know that I have taken large rocks and stuff off my visor many times, to where I would probably be blind if I didn't wear one. I don't know what posesses people to think having one eye would be preferable to looking 'uncool'.

FYI - Every state Bob Dole knows of without a helmet law STILL requires protective eyewear.

Chiefnj
Cowher is going to show up at the hospital and slap Ben's head harder than the windshield did.

chagrin
06-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Where's that official Kellen is a f@*ing sodlja thread?

Brock
06-12-2006, 11:38 AM
FYI - Every state Bob Dole knows of without a helmet law STILL requires protective eyewear.

Pair of sunglasses vs. muffler bolt.

Predarat
06-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Just heard on Romes show that its not life threatening.

Bob Dole
06-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Live video from the scene.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/5839843/index.html

ChiefButthurt
06-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Pittsburgh fans in the office are going ape shit right about now. Hope he's okay.

bkkcoh
06-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Just heard on Romes show that its not life threatening.

on the talk radio show here in Columbus, Ohio, they said injuries were serious. But they didn't say anything about life threatening at all.....

will be interesting to see what the Steelers do about this.. Since they had warned them before.... :banghead:

chagrin
06-12-2006, 11:41 AM
espn.com says the injuries are non life threatening, so far

ChiefsfaninPA

That is a pretty stupid line of thought there.

Rain Man
I remember mowing my lawn once as a teenager, and somehow the lawn mower kicked up a rock that hit me squarely in the right lens of my glasses at about 500 miles an hour. Freaked me out. This was right after I'd bought a new pair of glasses, and the advertising for the lenses said that they "would stop a bullet", which you need as a teenager. Never even nicked the lens.

JimNasium
06-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Just read on a Steelers message board that he may have a broken jaw.

chagrin
06-12-2006, 11:43 AM
I remember mowing my lawn once as a teenager, and somehow the lawn mower kicked up a rock that hit me squarely in the right lens of my glasses at about 500 miles an hour. Freaked me out. This was right after I'd bought a new pair of glasses, and the advertising for the lenses said that they "would stop a bullet", which you need as a teenager. Never even nicked the lens.

ROFL
Was that before or after you split the atom?

ChiefsfaninPA
06-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Porter - "concrete is undefeated."

Classic!

Bob Dole
06-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Pair of sunglasses vs. muffler bolt.

Actually, they're required to be shatterproof.

More like safety glasses than a pair of $4.99 sunglasses.

Demonpenz
06-12-2006, 11:45 AM
I have this image if I drove rode around with no helmet. I pull into a gas station and someone backs up really fast I swerve going like 4 mph and dump it and smack my head on the curb killing me. DAMNIT NOW I AM DEAD AND IT WASN'T EVEN A COOL ACCIDENT!

Bob Dole
06-12-2006, 11:46 AM
The live video from Pittsburgh news is indicated he lost teeth. http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/5839843/index.html

Bob Dole
06-12-2006, 11:47 AM
It's the Chunky Soup curse! He was supposed to film a new commercial with his mother this week!

Rain Man
06-12-2006, 11:48 AM
ROFL
Was that before or after you split the atom?

I still can't figure out why I could never get a date in high school.

NewChief
06-12-2006, 11:49 AM
I have this image if I drove rode around with no helmet. I pull into a gas station and someone backs up really fast I swerve going like 4 mph and dump it and smack my head on the curb killing me. DAMNIT NOW I AM DEAD AND IT WASN'T EVEN A COOL ACCIDENT!

Something similarly stupid happened to me on a mountain bike. I was rolling up to a curb really slow (too slow) and didn't pop my front tire up high enough, causing the tire to hit the top of the curb, stop the bike, and throw me over the handlebars. I had to get about 10 stitches in my chin. It was the worst injury I've had on a mountain bike, and I was doing a relatively routine, safe thing in comparison to some of the dangerous things I'd done and come out unscathed.

Rain Man
It's the Chunky Soup curse! He was supposed to film a new commercial with his mother this week!

Better than having the Steelers trade for Terrell Owens, I guess.

John_Locke
I heard that about an hour ago on my way home from work, and said a prayer for he and his family.

Bob Dole
06-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Oddly enough, they're towing away a sportbike, not the Harley he was pictured on last year.

ChiefButthurt
06-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Hell he wasn't even riding a cool bike...he has one of those crotch rockets. Hey Ben if you're gonna ride get a Harley.

JBucc
06-12-2006, 11:51 AM
dumbass

Cochise
06-12-2006, 11:52 AM

I was riding last fall and got hit in the right side by a piece of gravel that came out of a lawnmower, about halfway between my waist and my armpit. I had an m/c jacket on and everything, but it still hurt like a beach.

Bob Dole
06-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Bob Dole has $20 that says the female driver that turned in front of him was yammering on a cell phone at the time of the accident.

Brock
06-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Hell he wasn't even riding a cool bike...he has one of those crotch rockets. Hey Ben if you're gonna ride get a Harley.

All motorcycles are cool.

ChiefButthurt
06-12-2006, 11:54 AM
All motorcycles are cool.

Yeah I know...I'm not allowed to have one and I'm 46. ChiefPote has no balls.

htismaqe
06-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Yeah I know...I'm not allowed to have one and I'm 46. ChiefPote has no balls.

I'm not allowed to have one either. I think it has something to do with the fact that my wife can see the scars from a bike accident I had almost 20 years ago...

Radar Chief
06-12-2006, 11:58 AM

Maybe he wanted more of a bike than a Briggs-n-Stratton with a bunch of bolt on chrome trinkets? :shrug:

Radar Chief
06-12-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm not allowed to have one either. I think it has something to do with the fact that my wife can see the scars from a bike accident I had almost 20 years ago...

You guys suck. My wife is the nurse that started take’n the stitches out of my head and I’ve still got a bike. :p

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2006, 12:05 PM
You guys suck. My wife is the nurse that started take’n the stitches out of my head and I’ve still got a bike. :p

As long as I am alive and healthy enough to do so I will ride and nobody will ever tell me any different. You might as well tell me not to live. The one exception is if I was getting millions to play a game. I think I could lay off of it long enough to get paid and never have to worry about working again.

RINGLEADER
06-12-2006, 12:05 PM
From everything out there right now it sounds like he busted his mouth, lost some teeth, cut his head open and probably has a hell of a headache. That's probably the best you could hope for with that kind of a wreck and no helmet.

News so far sounds like he'll recover. Hope the story stays that way.

Holy crap...they just showed the car and particularly the windshield...they're saying it was demolished by Big Ben's head!

morphius
06-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Oh boy, not wearing a helmet is just stupid, I don't care how "uncool" it might be. Spent an evening with a family friend not to long ago with her and the family of her boyfriend as they waited in the lobby for word on how he was doing. Guy ended up with a crushed in skull and will probably never be any smarter then your average kindergardner.

But at least he looked cool...

Mile High Mania
06-12-2006, 12:09 PM
I don't ride nor do I have a real desire to do so, but I just can't understand why someone wouldn't want to wear a helmet if you're driving in a heavily populated area. So many things can go wrong.

Add to it ... he's making millions playing football. Why risk it? Do all the crazy things you want to do in life after your career is over. It's worth the wait in my opinion.

Gonzo
The live video from Pittsburgh news is indicated he lost teeth. http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/5839843/index.html

Hell if thats the case he'll fit right in with all the other stupid, toothless Pensalvanians.

Rain Man
If I ever got a motorcycle, I would fall off of it and get crushed underneath it before it ever left the showroom. Therefore, I think it's not in my best interest to have one.

el borracho
06-12-2006, 12:12 PM
I don't ride nor do I have a real desire to do so, but I just can't understand why someone wouldn't want to wear a helmet if you're driving in a heavily populated area. So many things can go wrong.
People ride without helmets for the same reason people have sex without condoms- it feels good.

Rain Man
06-12-2006, 12:15 PM
People ride without helmets for the same reason people have sex without condoms- it feels good.

Both can lead to nasty rashes. (Beavis and Butthead laugh)

Brock
06-12-2006, 12:16 PM

Ask Ben how good it feels.

Iowanian
06-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Under that analogy, someone should send big ben some prescription medication to control that Face-herpes outbreak that car just gave him.

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Oh boy, not wearing a helmet is just stupid, I don't care how "uncool" it might be. Spent an evening with a family friend not to long ago with her and the family of her boyfriend as they waited in the lobby for word on how he was doing. Guy ended up with a crushed in skull and will probably never be any smarter then your average kindergardner.

But at least he looked cool...

We didn't have a helmet law in Oregon when I started riding street bikes at 16. I always wore it unless I was downtown acting cool. Almost had a van take me out one time when I wasn't wearing it. That was the last time I ever rode in traffic without one.

bkkcoh
06-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Yeah, you as a rider only have a little control of what takes place on the roads. Every motorists need to be aware.

Add to it ... he's making millions playing football. Why risk it? Do all the crazy things you want to do in life after your career is over. It's worth the wait in my opinion.

they are invincible.... or so they think..

ChiefButthurt
06-12-2006, 12:22 PM

No offense but... 4321

Bob Dole
06-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Serious but stable condition. In surgery now. Knows where he is and what has happened.

stevieray
06-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Bummer.

Cochise
06-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Maybe he wanted more of a bike than a Briggs-n-Stratton with a bunch of bolt on chrome trinkets? :shrug:

:clap:

Cochise
06-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Bob Dole has $20 that says the female driver that turned in front of him was yammering on a cell phone at the time of the accident.

I was going to lay some money down on her running a red light.

It's all the same to Ben's face unfortunately.

Kerberos
06-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Holy crap...they just showed the car and particularly the windshield...they're saying it was demolished by Big Ben's head!

Lord knows he has a HARD HEAD ... Refusing to wear a helmet and all!

Bob Dole
The hospital would not tell what kind of surgery, but they indicated that he was capable of carrying on a conversation.

morphius
We didn't have a helmet law in Oregon when I started riding street bikes at 16. I always wore it unless I was downtown acting cool. Almost had a van take me out one time when I wasn't wearing it. That was the last time I ever rode in traffic without one.
When your young you tend to be a bit stupid. Hell, when I was 13 I was riding on gravel roads on a bike that was about 20 years old w/o a helmet and didn't think much about it at all. Now I'd feel weird riding a bike around the block without one.

Rain Man
I'll say it once again. The woman driving that car needs to just leave town now. Abandon her family, her job, and her belongings, and go somewhere where she can get a new identity.

Cochise
06-12-2006, 12:30 PM
No offense but... 4321

"Yeah, ya'll, if it ain't a Hardley it ain't sheet!"

Bob Dole
And now the idiot news anchor took it upon himself to raise his condition to critical.

(Just recanted and clarified "serious" as Bob Dole typed.)

bkkcoh
I'll say it once again. The woman driving that car needs to just leave town now. Abandon her family, her job, and her belongings, and go somewhere where she can get a new identity.

Like the cub fan a couple of years ago.... :banghead:

Rain Man
06-12-2006, 12:33 PM
(Since it appears that he's not in critical condition, I presume it's okay to start the joking. If you disagree, skip to the next post.)

I bet the Chunky Soup commercial writers are reworking their script. This is a great opportunity.

Ben's mom: Since Ben has no teeth and his jaw is wired shut, he can't eat solid food. And that just makes him love Campbell's Soup even more.

Ben (with jaw wired shut): (Gives thumbs up.)

ChiefButthurt
06-12-2006, 12:33 PM
"Yeah, ya'll, if it ain't a Hardley it ain't sheet!"

Atta boy Cochise.

Fruit Ninja
06-12-2006, 12:35 PM
n m

Dartgod
06-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Maybe she can shack up with Steve Bartman.

Cochise
06-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Atta boy Cochise.

I think it went over your head.

John_Wayne
06-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger suffered a serious head injury this morning after his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge, police said. Roethlisberger, 24, who was not wearing a helmet, collided with a Chrysler New Yorker shortly before 11:25 a.m. and was thrown off his motorcycle, flying head-first into the car's windshield "with a pretty good force," said a veteran city police officer. Roethlisberger was talking and moving his arms and legs after the accident. He suffered injuries to his face and lost several teeth, according to city firefighters. The injured quarterback was taken to Mercy Hospital, said a Steelers spokesman, who declined to provide other information. The car, which has Maine license plates, was heading west on Second Avenue and was turning left onto the 10th Street Bridge. Roethlisberger was driving east on Second Avenue riding a Suzuki Hayabusa and collided with the car at the intersection of the bridge and the Armstrong Tunnels. Roethlisberger, who led the Steelers to a Super Bowl championship this year, slammed into the windshield, rolled over the car and landed on the pavement, striking his head again, said a woman who witnessed the accident. The witness, who declined to give her name, asked Roethlisberger several times if he was OK. He eventually replied, "My name is Ben." He asked: "Where am I?" "You're at the Armstrong Tunnel," the witness said. "What city is that in?" he said. "Pittsburgh," the woman replied. Roethlisberger fell silent for about a minute and then tried to stand up. "I'm OK," he said. "No you're not," said the woman, who instructed him to stay still. Pittsburgh homicide detectives are investigating the accident, which is standard procedure when critical injuries are involved, said city police Lt. Kevin Kraus. Roethlisberger's 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa, which is named after a Japanese bird of prey, was totaled. The front wheel was broken in half. The handle bars were broken. The left pedal was shattered. The 170-horsepower bike, which weighs 500 pounds fully loaded, was targeted by law enforcement agencies worldwide after its 1998 debut because it could reach a top speed of 189 mph. Suzuki Motorcycles of North America gave Roethlisberger the bike as part of a promotional deal in exchange for him appearing at several Suzuki dealerships in the area, including Andrews Cycle in Salem, Ohio where he picked up the motorcycle last summer. Andrews' sales staff declined comment. The motorcycle is popular among first-time buyers, said Steve Stiller, a salesman at Northgate Motorcycles in Cranberry, Butler County. Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended to make helmets optional. In May 2005, Steelers coach Bill Cowher lectured Roethlisberger on the dangers of riding without a helmet. "He talked about being a risktaker and I'm not really a risktaker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe." Earlier this year, Roethlisberger led the Steelers to the NFL title, giving the team the fifth Super Bowl win they had been chasing since 1980.

Moooo
06-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Dumbass...

You are stupid if you are riding a f'n Hayabusa without a helmet, legal or not.

Just for clarification purposes, was he at fault, or was he doing what he said and riding carefully?

Moooo

Cochise
06-12-2006, 12:53 PM
The video I saw was of him riding some kind of a cruiser bike. The article on Drudge says it was a Hayabusa.

Dumbass.

Roethlisberger's 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa, which is named after a Japanese bird of prey, was totaled. The front wheel was broken in half. The handle bars were broken. The left pedal was shattered. The 170-horsepower bike, which weighs 500 pounds fully loaded, was targeted by law enforcement agencies worldwide after its 1998 debut because it could reach a top speed of 189 mph.

The motorcycle is popular among first-time buyers, said Steve Stiller, a salesman at Northgate Motorcycles in Cranberry, Butler County.

:shake:

htismaqe
06-12-2006, 12:54 PM
The video I saw was of him riding some kind of a cruiser bike. The article on Drudge says it was a Hayabusa.

Dumbass.

The video segment I spoke of earlier was a cruiser bike with big fat tires, like a Harley or something. It wasn't a Suzuki.

Radar Chief
06-12-2006, 12:57 PM
No offense but... 4321

:LOL: ;)

Rain Man
06-12-2006, 12:59 PM

On a somewhat related note, I saw a little news feature a few weeks ago about a guy who was trying to build and design a short-takeoff jet that could double as an automobile. One of his selling points was that "with most jet aircraft, it takes years of training and testing to get up in the air, and with this we could get people flying almost immediately."

I think I'd prefer that jet pilots take years of training and testing. It's hard for a car to crash and kill me in my house, but a jet is another story.

Radar Chief
06-12-2006, 12:59 PM
The video segment I spoke of earlier was a cruiser bike with big fat tires, like a Harley or something. It wasn't a Suzuki.

The bike on the wrecker in Bob Doles link looks like ‘Busa from what I can see.

Cochise
06-12-2006, 01:19 PM

Yeah, I saw a piece on NFL Today or something that showed him riding a cruiser type bike and talking about how much he loved riding. Suzuki does make those large cruiser bikes but the one he was riding today looks like this:

Radar Chief
06-12-2006, 01:24 PM

When your young you tend to be a bit stupid. Hell, when I was 13 I was riding on gravel roads on a bike that was about 20 years old w/o a helmet and didn't think much about it at all. Now I'd feel weird riding a bike around the block without one.

Ya know, there’s a reason why the future Mrs. Radar Chief had +60 stitches to pull from my head.
If I’d been wear’n a helmet, I’d have walked away with some road rash and a wrinkled up bike. Instead I got knocked out instantly and hit like a sack of tators.
I always wear a helmet now, but don’t feel I have the right to get all preachy towards those that don’t. At worst, I just point to my scares and say, “I had to learn the hard way”.

Rain Man
06-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Did anyone see the anchor on that Pittsburgh station stumbling around because she was afraid to use the term "crotch rocket"?

She said something like, "I'm being told that it's a ... pocket rocket ... style of bike. Actually, that's not what they said. They're using another term for it, but ..."

Pocket rocket?

Amnorix
06-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Wow dumb. Dumb, dumber, dumbest. Hope he's alright, but my initial reaction is "what a jackass".

BIG_DADDY
Did anyone see the anchor on that Pittsburgh station stumbling around because she was afraid to use the term "crotch rocket"?

She said something like, "I'm being told that it's a ... pocket rocket ... style of bike. Actually, that's not what they said. They're using another term for it, but ..."

Pocket rocket?

It's what she uses on herself for those quick trips to the restroom.

BIG_DADDY
Wow dumb. Dumb, dumber, dumbest. Hope he's alright, but my initial reaction is "what a jackass".

There should be a law. ROFL

Bob Dole
06-12-2006, 01:39 PM
The motorcycle is popular among first-time buyers, said Steve Stiller, a salesman at Northgate Motorcycles in Cranberry, Butler County.

Something is seriously messed up when a 'Busa is a top selling bike for new riders. That's absolutely nothing but a recipe for disaster.

Cochise
06-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Something is seriously messed up when a 'Busa is a top selling bike for new riders. That's absolutely nothing but a recipe for disaster.

I wasn't thinking that the dealership should be fined or there should be a law against it... but I wouldn't patronize a place that sold Hayabusas to new riders like it was going out of style.

morphius
06-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Ya know, there’s a reason why the future Mrs. Radar Chief had +60 stitches to pull from my head.
If I’d been wear’n a helmet, I’d have walked away with some road rash and a wrinkled up bike. Instead I got knocked out instantly and hit like a sack of tators.
I always wear a helmet now, but don’t feel I have the right to get all preachy towards those that don’t. At worst, I just point to my scares and say, “I had to learn the hard way”.
Yeah, I'm not really not preachy about it, but if you are a friend of mine and not riding with one don't think I'm not going to tell you that your an idiot if you are not wearing one :D

FWIW the guy I was talking about earlier was up and talking right after the wreck like nothing was wrong for a couple of minutes, then just collapsed. Barely survived.

morphius
06-12-2006, 01:45 PM
My first though as well when I read that comment. Jumping on a large liter sport bike as a first bike is NUTS, even if it is more a sports touring bike then a reg sport bike.

squids, sheesh.

CupidStunt
06-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Latest report says broken jaw, 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, some tissue damage to the face, but also severely injured KNEES.

morphius
06-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Latest report says broken jaw, 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, some tissue damage to the face, but also severely injured KNEES.
You have to figure in something like that one of his extremeties is gonna take a beating.

Cochise
06-12-2006, 02:08 PM
It's hard to see how you could go over the bars and land on a car without sustaining some kind of leg injuries.

Rain Man
06-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Knees...now that could be a problem.

Moooo
06-12-2006, 02:10 PM

He must have taken some advice from ol Kellen Winslow Jr. on how to have it all and choose to throw it away via motorcycle...

Moooo

Brock
06-12-2006, 02:10 PM

Pocket rocket?

I think they meant Pocket Pickle.

greg63
06-12-2006, 02:12 PM
He must have taken some advice from ol Kellen Winslow Jr. on how to have it all and choose to throw it away via motorcycle...

Mooo

OUCH!!

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2006, 02:15 PM

Absolutely. Ride a dirt bike for a couple years and then get a 600 and learn how to ride it.

Moooo
06-12-2006, 02:16 PM
OUCH!!

Yeah, that's what everyone in Pittsburgh is saying. He has a responsibility to his fans to not do stuff like this. He honestly was one of my favorite players in the NFL. I can't find myself cheering form someone who would do that to his fans...

Moooo

Moooo
Absolutely. Ride a dirt bike for a couple years and then get a 600 and learn how to ride it.

Ninja 250, baby!!!

Moooo

The Poz
Steelers | Roethlisberger injury update
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:47:40 -0700

John Clayton, on ESPNews, reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger (head, knee) is in surgery to fix a broken jaw. He also suffered a nine-inch laceration on his head, some missing teeth and knee damage. The team is not commenting on his accident yet.

Radar Chief
06-12-2006, 02:19 PM

Pocket rocket?

:shrug: I have no problems with the term “crotch rocket”. Anyone that’s pulled the trigger on one’a those things knows that’s pretty much what it is.

Moooo
06-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Steelers | Roethlisberger injury update
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:47:40 -0700

John Clayton, on ESPNews, reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger (head, knee) is in surgery to fix a broken jaw. He also suffered a nine-inch laceration on his head, some missing teeth and knee damage. The team is not commenting on his accident yet.

His actions tell me concussion, knee injuries almost always involve cartilage and/or ligament damage..

The season starts in 10 weeks... Dumbass.

Moooo

Cochise
06-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Roethliswinslow

Radar Chief
06-12-2006, 02:23 PM

Yup, but what do they care at the dealership? It’s still a commission to them.
When my drag race’n buddy in KC went to insure his “street bike”, a mildly tuned GSXR1000, he said his insurance agent informed’im that the average life expectancy for a “Gixxer 1000” was, like, 16 minutes off the showroom floor.
I believe it, that’s ‘bout how long Winslow’s lasted.

noa
06-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Yeah, that's what everyone in Pittsburgh is saying. He has a responsibility to his fans to not do stuff like this. He honestly was one of my favorite players in the NFL. I can't find myself cheering form someone who would do that to his fans...

Moooo

Not only his fans...what about his teammates? What about his recievers this year who might be forced to play with a 2nd string QB? This could turn their offense into a one-dimensional squad, and that really hurts the entire team. I understand wanting to partake in the thrills of life, but he really let down a lot of people by putting himself in this situation.

JimNasium
06-12-2006, 02:29 PM
When my drag race’n buddy in KC went to insure his “street bike”, a mildly tuned GSXR1000, he said his insurance agent informed’im that the average life expectancy for a “Gixxer 1000” was, like, 16 minutes off the showroom floor.
I've heard this statistic but it has to be an urban legend. If this was true some do-gooder in Congress would make them illegal.

FAX
06-12-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm astonished at this news. Just flabbergasted.

I know a lot of you guys ride. How many of you ride sans helmet? I did when I was younger, but I never would now.

FAX

JimNasium
06-12-2006, 02:32 PM
I'm astonished at this news. Just flabbergasted.

I know a lot of you guys ride. How many of you ride sans helmet? I did when I was younger, but I never would now.

FAXBut are you dumbfounded?

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2006, 02:32 PM

I don't understand a newbie wanting something that big. You have to learn to be out of control and save it then move up. I can't imaging losing control of of a big ass bike with no clue on how to save it. You're ****ing toast first time you hit a little sand.

FAX
06-12-2006, 02:33 PM
But are you dumbfounded?

Dumbflustered, Mr. JimNasium. Dumbflustered.

FAX

Cochise
06-12-2006, 02:33 PM
I've heard this statistic but it has to be an urban legend. If this was true some do-gooder in Congress would make them illegal.

The biggest sportbike I have ridden was a 750, and that only when I switched bikes with someone for a couple minutes. But I'm already surprised they will sell something like that to just anyone.

Something like a Hayabusa runs a quarter mile in what? The high 10s right out of the box?

keg in kc
06-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Wow.

Well, at least he's alive. That's something to be thankful for.

FAX
06-12-2006, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure it was the speed that got Ben.

It was more like the abrupt stop. I heard on the news that he was northbound and another car was southbound. The car made a left and Ben hit her passenger side door. Maybe she turned without seeing him?

FAX

Cochise
06-12-2006, 02:36 PM
I don't understand a newbie wanting something that big. You have to learn to be out of control and save it then move up. I can't imaging losing control of of a big ass bike with no clue on how to save it. You're ****ing toast first time you hit a little sand.

I don't want to say the number of times I have wiped out in ~15k miles, due to superstition, but there have been a few times where I felt the back tire sliding out because of gravel or something.

In one instance, I was going up a ramp at night (from Rainbow BLVD in KCK onto 35 north, you locals) and the ramp was in such horrible shape that there were loose chunnks of asphalt 3 or 4+ inches wide just strewn all over the place, to say nothing of the huge potholes and presence of gravel everywhere

It slipped out and then corrected itself a split second later, but it felt almost like a high-side condition, if things would have been just a little less under control it might have been. That would not have been cool, wearing gear or no gear.

BIG_DADDY
The biggest sportbike I have ridden was a 750, and that only when I switched bikes with someone for a couple minutes. But I'm already surprised they will sell something like that to just anyone.

Something like a Hayabusa runs a quarter mile in what? The high 10s right out of the box?

That's about right. I think of all the times I almost killed myself in the street after riding dirt bikes since I was 6 years old and I shudder to think about somebody getting on one of those with no experience. He will hit the ground before the thing is ever broke in.

Radar Chief

Oh I’m sure there’s at least a little bit of scare tactic involved, but I’ve also seen a lot of waded GSXR1000.

Radar Chief
06-12-2006, 02:38 PM

Yea, but they’re cool and why mess with a wussy 600 when a 1000 is just a couple K more expensive.
I agree with you, but I also understand the over testosteroned.

Cochise
06-12-2006, 02:39 PM
I'm not sure it was the speed that got Ben.

It was more like the abrupt stop. I heard on the news that he was northbound and another car was southbound. The car made a left and Ben hit her passenger side door. Maybe she turned without seeing him?

FAX

The brakes on a sportbike are incredible. I guess you'd have to feel it to know, but the fact that he ran into the car to me says they either pulled out RIGHT in front of him, or he never saw the car/didn't react in time to touch the brake at all. Who knows though?

Radar Chief
06-12-2006, 02:43 PM

IIRC they’ve run 9.89@ 150 MPH straight off the showroom floor.
And since Kawasaki came out with the ZX-14, that’s not even that fast anymore.
IIRC, again, Ricky Gadson took a stock ZX-14 and ran a 9.48. Then put on a pipe, Power Commander, geared it and lowered it than ran a 9.26 @+160. :eek: Course this is Rickey Gadson, Kawasaki’s factory drag racer, and not everyone will be able to just swing a leg over it and run low 9’s, but still.

FAX
The brakes on a sportbike are incredible. I guess you'd have to feel it to know, but the fact that he ran into the car to me says they either pulled out RIGHT in front of him, or he never saw the car/didn't react in time to touch the brake at all. Who knows though?

I guess we don't know now, but I bet we will, Mr. Cochise. This will be the most investigated automobile accident since Princess Diana's.

If the lady was at fault, she will have to move to another city. Plus, she'll owe the franchise a QB. Either way, I am dumbflubbered and awestrangled about Ben riding without a helmet.

FAX

Amnorix
There should be a law. ROFL

There is. Darwin's. ;)

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2006, 02:44 PM
IIRC, again, Ricky Gadson took a stock ZX-14 and ran a 9.48. Then put on a pipe, Power Commander, geared it and lowered it than ran a 9.26 @+160. Course this is Rickey Gadson, Kawasaki’s factory drag racer and not everyone will be able to just swing a leg over it and run low 9’s, but still.

They still messing with keeping them from going over 200 MPH?

Cochise
06-12-2006, 02:44 PM
IIRC, again, Ricky Gadson took a stock ZX-14 and ran a 9.48. Then put on a pipe, Power Commander, geared it and lowered it than ran a 9.26 @+160. Course this is Rickey Gadson, Kawasaki’s factory drag racer and not everyone will be able to just swing a leg over it and run low 9’s, but still.

:eek:

True about those times being with an expert rider and in track conditions, but still more than enough power for a noob to loop it.

Cochise
06-12-2006, 02:45 PM
There is. Darwin's. ;)

Hey! Amoronix is back! Where the hell have you been? You guys aren't going to resign our corner are you?

Radar Chief
06-12-2006, 02:46 PM
They still messing with keeping them from going over 200 MPH?

Yup. “Loop’n the computer”, trick’n the injection/ignition computer into think’n you’re go’n slower than you actually are, solves that problem though. :thumb:

Inspector
06-12-2006, 03:05 PM
I wonder if Kordell Stewart is available.

Cochise
06-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that ole Ben might have been exceeding the speed limit jussssst a bit. The report I just watched on CNN looks pretty suspicious in that regard. And of course on that bike you automatically suspect that speed + inexperience was a factor.

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Yup. “Loop’n the computer”, trick’n the injection/ignition computer into think’n you’re go’n slower than you actually are, solves that problem though. :thumb:

I am sure you can tweak it and do some wonderful things. Gotta have somebody good working on the bike. I remember taking my KZ-650 to the best performance shop in town to get some new tires when I was 16. I told the freakin moron I rode really fast and make sure the tires were balance. I was going over a 100 when I went into speed wobbles. :cuss: I thought I was dead for sure. I bring it back and all the idiot that worked on it had to say was "oh sorry about that" :bang:

Cochise
06-12-2006, 03:16 PM
I am sure you can tweak it and do some wonderful things. Gotta have somebody good working on the bike. I remember taking my KZ-650 to the best performance shop in town to get some new tires when I was 16. I told the freakin moron I rode really fast and make sure the tires were balance. I was going over a 100 when I went into speed wobbles. :cuss: I thought I was dead for sure. I bring it back and all the idiot that worked on it had to say was "oh sorry about that" :bang:

I took mine in to get a new set of tires put on it about a year ago. The stealership told me it would take about a week to get to it, they called me about 2 weeks later after I had been pestering them daily and the guy said, "Did your speedometer work when you brought it in here?"
:bang:

Yes, ahole, it worked until your high school dropout @$$ started wrenching on it.

He managed to fix it but he was acting at first like I was going to have to pay for it, which would not have gone over well. :#

tk13
06-12-2006, 03:17 PM
http://images.ibsys.com/2006/0612/9356658_400X300.jpg

Another picture (http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20060613sm_benwreck01_580.jpg)

Bob Dole
06-12-2006, 03:27 PM

Sub 10-second quarter mile if the rider knows what they're doing.

Bob Dole
06-12-2006, 03:31 PM

Reporter on-scene said there were skidmarks. And she apparently turned in front of him, which is harder to anticipate than someone pulling out.

Cochise
06-12-2006, 03:34 PM
Reporter on-scene said there were skidmarks. And she apparently turned in front of him, which is harder to anticipate than someone pulling out.

Yep... can happen to anyone.

Doesn't sound like it was his fault unless he was going way too fast.

jidar
06-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Yep... can happen to anyone.

Doesn't sound like it was his fault unless he was going way too fast.

It's his fault for riding a bike without a helmet.

Speaking of which.
I hear Ben likes to get out on his bike and hit the road.

lol

no sorry, that was terrible.

More like Ben Toothlessberger

lol

Crash Bendicoot?

jidar
06-12-2006, 03:38 PM
http://images.ibsys.com/2006/0612/9356658_400X300.jpg

Another picture (http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20060613sm_benwreck01_580.jpg)

lol Breaking news indeed.

Radar Chief
06-12-2006, 03:40 PM
I took mine in to get a new set of tires put on it about a year ago. The stealership told me it would take about a week to get to it, they called me about 2 weeks later after I had been pestering them daily and the guy said, "Did your speedometer work when you brought it in here?"
:bang:

Yes, ahole, it worked until your high school dropout @$$ started wrenching on it.

He managed to fix it but he was acting at first like I was going to have to pay for it, which would not have gone over well. :#

:LOL: Been there. That’s why I take my own wheels off and just take them in when I get new tires. They usually can’t mess up the mount and balance, though I do like to watch’em do it, just to make sure.

DaFace
06-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Found this on a Steeler message board:

Retired halfback Jerome Bettis, in California today, was keeping in touch with some people in the organization and said the reports he's received are that Roethlisberger will be fine.

"First, it's good to see he's not in bad shape, as a friend, and to make sure he's OK," said Bettis. "Another good thing is it is minor enough that it shouldn't affect him on the field this fall."

Who really knows at this point, but sounds like there's a chance he'll be OK.

the Talking Can
06-12-2006, 03:43 PM
yikes..nasty picture

Cochise
06-12-2006, 03:43 PM
:LOL: Been there. That’s why I take my own wheels off and just take them in when I get new tires. They usually can’t mess up the mount and balance, though I do like to watch’em do it, just to make sure.

Yeah, I know I should have done that... I just don't have the setup to lift the bike and have both wheels off at once.

I bought the tires on the web and brought them in with me, figured hey, why not take it to the experts? :banghead:

steve_minor
06-12-2006, 03:45 PM
**Update**

Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and severely injured both of his knees when he hit the ground, police said.

Roethlisberger's 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa, which is named after a Japanese bird of prey, was totaled. The front wheel was broken in half. The handle bars were broken. The left pedal was shattered. The 170-horsepower bike, which weighs 500 pounds fully loaded, was targeted by law enforcement agencies worldwide after its 1998 debut because it could reach a top speed of 189 mph.

Link - Very slow!!!!

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/accident.html

JBucc
06-12-2006, 03:50 PM
**Update**

Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and severely injured both of his knees when he hit the ground, police said.

ouchies

el borracho
06-12-2006, 03:52 PM
So people here think it is the dealership's responsibility to judge what people can and can't handle. While I agree it is a bad idea to buy a giant sport bike as your first bike I also think it is the individual's responsibility to figure out what they can or can't handle.

the Talking Can
06-12-2006, 03:54 PM
dude is in a world of pain

Otter
06-12-2006, 03:55 PM
**Update**

Link - Very slow!!!!

Damn, I hope he's OK.

Stick to the Honda Mopeds Ben.

FAX
06-12-2006, 03:57 PM
**Update**

Holy crap. That's gotta hurt.

Mixed emotions here. I really feel terrible for the guy. But, it just isn't smart to ride without a helmet. Really sad story.

FAX

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2006, 03:59 PM
The knees are the big deal. He had the world by the Huevos too. If he had kept on his original path he would of had more pussy than the pound.

Radar Chief
06-12-2006, 04:00 PM
So people here think it is the dealership's responsibility to judge what people can and can't handle. While I agree it is a bad idea to buy a giant sport bike as your first bike I also think it is the individual's responsibility to figure out what they can or can't handle.

Not necessarily.
When I was stationed in Germany, there laws had a motorcyclist start on a 250 and spend some time there before step’n up to a 600, then spend’n some time there before go’n to a 750 and so on.
Another way to look at that scheme, though, is a money make’n deal for the states since each step required more train’n. :shrug:
Overall though, it’s a matter of throttle to brain ratio no matter what scoot you’re on. Even a 250 can be dangerous with a loose nut behind the bars. ;)

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-12-2006, 04:01 PM
I live in the Toledo area. Evening news: It's official, no helmet. I know this has been bantered about, and maybe this is a reiteration, but nevertheless, no brainbucket for Big Ben.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-12-2006, 04:03 PM
**Update**

Link - Very slow!!!!

I know this makes me sound like a bitch, but I think the thing that would piss me off the most would be losing all the teeth.

greg63
06-12-2006, 04:03 PM
I live in the Toledo area. Evening news: It's official, no helmet. I know this has been bantered about, and maybe this is a reiteration, but nevertheless, no brainbucket for Big Ben.
...Not good; I hope he's going to be alright.

Mecca
06-12-2006, 04:05 PM
John Clayton is saying his knees aren't severly injured and they're just scraped up on ESPN news. Then he said he didn't think he'd miss any games other than maybe the first preseason game.

Otter
06-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Hell if thats the case he'll fit right in with all the other stupid, toothless Pensalvanians.

And what part of high society do you reside in Mr. "Too much mescaline" Gonzo8888"?

noa
06-12-2006, 04:10 PM
John Clayton is saying his knees aren't severly injured and they're just scraped up on ESPN news. Then he said he didn't think he'd miss any games other than maybe the first preseason game.

That's impressive. I assumed it would take a while just to get to the point where he can fit a helmet over his head without it hurting his jaw.

el borracho
06-12-2006, 04:13 PM
I know this makes me sound like a bitch, but I think the thing that would piss me off the most would be losing all the teeth.
Losing my teeth would probably have me crying like a little girl.

Mecca
06-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Well you can get fake teeth if it bothers you that you're missing teeth.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-12-2006, 04:15 PM

I'd say the odds of Ben bagging a Natalie Gulbis type to have gone down significantly. Then again, sympathy ass abounds...

vailpass
06-12-2006, 04:17 PM

That would stop just as soon as you replaced them with stainless steel choppers like Jaws in the James Bond movie.

ChiefaRoo
06-12-2006, 04:21 PM
If his jaw is jacked up and his sinus cavity is broken then I don't see how he's going to play this year. Bones take too long to heal. He's probably going to need more than one operation from a cosmetic standpoint.

It's really too bad that an elite athlete wouldn't be careful enough with his body. Sucks for him. Hope he heals quickly

Frazod
06-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Sounds like he'll be fine eventually. And unlike DT, able to learn from his stupid mistakes.

Let's just hope the $tealer$ have enough money left to pay his medical bills after buying that Super Bowl.

Cochise
06-12-2006, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure how a smashed-in sinus cavity is going to have him back on the field in time for the preseason. It seems to me his head is going to be sensitive to impact for a while.

Frazod
06-12-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm not sure how a smashed-in sinus cavity is going to have him back on the field in time for the preseason. It seems to me his head is going to be sensitive to impact for a while.

Playing in the cold probably won't be terribly pleasant for him, either.

FAX
06-12-2006, 04:50 PM
I hope Clayton is correct, but if Ben can knock out most of his teeth, smash his face in, and break his jaw in mid-June and still play in pre-season game two, I will be darn impressed.

FAX

BucEyedPea
06-12-2006, 04:53 PM
I hope Clayton is correct, but if Ben can knock out most of his teeth, smash his face in, and break his jaw in mid-June and still play in pre-season game two, I will be darn impressed.

FAX

I would be too. But I'd doubt this if he whined about just about his thumb.
:p

stevieray
06-12-2006, 04:56 PM

exactly, I think it should be mandatory to pass a riding cllass before getting your first MC license, especially anything over a 1000cc.

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2006, 04:57 PM
exactly, I think it should be mandatory to pass a riding cllass before getting your first MC license, especially anything over a 1000cc.

The last thing we need in this country is more legislation.

stevieray
06-12-2006, 05:00 PM
The last thing we need in this country is more legislation.

Another thing we don't need is posers who don't know WTF they are doing riding on the road.

i'm like you and others though, started on the dirt as a kid.

I can't imagine not riding

Nzoner
06-12-2006, 05:03 PM

After she sells her story to one of the celebrity rags of course.

FAX
06-12-2006, 05:07 PM
I can't locate Mr. Rain Man's post to quote, but I agree completely. If it happened as reported on the national news, she is in danger. Every Steeler fan in town will be gunning for her. She will be unable to go anywhere.

At the very least, she will need police protection.

FAX

Immaculate
06-12-2006, 05:11 PM
"I don't ride sportbikes" Bwahahahaha!

Clint in Wichita
06-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Every major sports league should have mandatory contract clauses for EVERY player prohibiting this type of crap.

Need an adrenaline rush, dummy? Hold the ball for an extra second during an all-out blitz.

Rain Man
06-12-2006, 05:26 PM
I wonder if Percy Snow will come and visit him in the hospital.

Nzoner
06-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Live video from the scene.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/5839843/index.html

Constant updates on that link.

Thanks.

tk13
06-12-2006, 05:38 PM
I can't believe that there's any way he got through that without suffering some kind of concussion. I think anyone saying he'll be back for the preseason is really premature. I imagine they're going to be really protective of all the facial/head injuries.

bogie
06-12-2006, 05:50 PM
This is pretty much the straw for me. I think I'm going to sell my bike. 2000 Yamaha VStar Classic 650. When I bought it new in 2000, I was sure it would be my main mode of transportation. However, I barely ride it. Anyone in California interested? Excellent condition, LOW mileage, windshield, luggage rack, sissy bar, front lighting package, 2 helmets, black. $3,350? It's a sweet ride, but I want to be around to raise my 8 year old kid.

Adept Havelock
06-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Force equals Mass times Acceleration is a bitch.

Newton's Second Law Vs. Ben "Helmetless Dumbass" Rothlisberger.

KCBOSS1
06-12-2006, 06:15 PM
This is pretty much the straw for me. I think I'm going to sell my bike. 2000 Yamaha VStar Classic 650. When I bought it new in 2000, I was sure it would be my main mode of transportation. However, I barely ride it. Anyone in California interested? Excellent condition, LOW mileage, windshield, luggage rack, sissy bar, front lighting package, 2 helmets, black. $3,350? It's a sweet ride, but I want to be around to raise my 8 year old kid.

I just went throught the same thing. I sold my Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad just last month thinking of the same things. I do love to ride though and liked riding without a helmet, but my wife kept me in check...

Ben just needs to marry an irish-indian like I did. She'll fix him.

bogie
06-12-2006, 06:37 PM
I just went throught the same thing. I sold my Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad just last month thinking of the same things. I do love to ride though and liked riding without a helmet, but my wife kept me in check...

Ben just needs to marry an irish-indian like I did. She'll fix him.

My wife doesn't necessarily like me owning a bike, but she knows I've owned one on and off in my life with no accidents so she accepted it. I've hoped my 8 year old would enjoy short rides with me but it scares her so she's not interested. My 8 year old doesn't want me to sell it because she thinks Dad's cool for owning a motorcycle, but she doesn't have any interest in riding with me. So, the bikes got to go. I can use the 3 grand to take a short vacation and maybe buy myself a new set of irons or maybe a new driver.

Marcellus
06-12-2006, 06:39 PM

I am on my 3rd bike now and I live in KAnsas where you don't have to wear a helmet.

I have to say,IMO, riding without a helmet is the most overrated thing in the world.

Nothing but noisy a$$ wind blowing your ears to hell,bugs hitting you in the face and dirt in your hair and teeth.

I will stick to my full face helmet thank you.

OldTownChief
06-12-2006, 06:44 PM

bogie
06-12-2006, 06:48 PM
I am on my 3rd bike now and I live in KAnsas where you don't have to wear a helmet.

I have to say,IMO, riding without a helmet is the most overrated thing in the world.

Nothing but noisy a$$ wind blowing your ears to hell,bugs hitting you in the face and dirt in your hair and teeth.

I don't get riding without a helmet either. To me it's just dumb.

Bob Dole
06-12-2006, 07:07 PM

Bob Dole isn't a proponent of more laws, but he also doesn't think the little M is difficult enough to acquire.

Of course, Bob Dole doesn't think the regular DL is difficult enough to acquire or maintain.

Adept Havelock
06-12-2006, 07:14 PM
I don't get riding without a helmet either. To me it's just dumb.

Yes indeed. In the words of one my favorite authors....

Just think of it as Evolution in action.

Bob Dole
06-12-2006, 07:15 PM

Is it not your main mode because you've found that the area in which you live isn't bike friendly, or you just like the convenience of having a car?

Bob Dole stopped riding in KC and sold his bikes because it was definitely NOT a bike friendly environment (late 1980s). Having been back in Texas where there are more days a year where riding is practical/enjoyable for a decade made all the difference in the world. Excepting the idiots with cell phones plasterd to their left ear, it's a much more acceptable environment and if it's 40 degrees or higher, Bob Dole is likely on two wheels for the daily commute. (Of course, it's only about 2.5 miles one-way on surface streets.)

bogie
06-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Is it not your main mode because you've found that the area in which you live isn't bike friendly, or you just like the convenience of having a car?

Bob Dole stopped riding in KC and sold his bikes because it was definitely NOT a bike friendly environment (late 1980s). Having been back in Texas where there are more days a year where riding is practical/enjoyable for a decade made all the difference in the world. Excepting the idiots with cell phones plasterd to their left ear, it's a much more acceptable environment and if it's 40 degrees or higher, Bob Dole is likely on two wheels for the daily commute. (Of course, it's only about 2.5 miles one-way on surface streets.)

The weater out hear is excellent for bikers. Actually, I ride much less than I thought I would because of golf. On any given day, I could get a call from a buddy inviting me to play a round or I may get a wild hair to go to the range at lunch. I like to keep my clubs close by. Also, it's hard to ride without opposable thumbs.

Bob Dole
06-13-2006, 07:49 AM
The weater out hear is excellent for bikers. Actually, I ride much less than I thought I would because of golf. On any given day, I could get a call from a buddy inviting me to play a round or I may get a wild hair to go to the range at lunch. I like to keep my clubs close by. Also, it's hard to ride without opposable thumbs.

By "bike friendly," Bob Dole was referring to the other motorists.

But yeah...it's a little tough to carry your clubs around with you on a bike.

ct
06-13-2006, 08:15 AM
Apologies if repost.

I receive a FF newsletter, and they asked a couple Dr's their opinion on Big Ben, with what info has been released.

Dr. Jene Bramel, M.D. is a Staff regular and has experience in Urgent Care. Dr. Algie LaBrasca, M.D. is a surgeon with connections to Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh.

It's important to stress that neither doctor has first hand information of Roethlisberger's medical file and situation. They are physicians who deal with this type of stuff everyday and I've simply asked them their opinion based on what they know and are seeing. Here's what they told me.

Said Dr. Bramel, "While it still may be early to speculate on the nature and extent of his injuries, Roethlisberger suffered a head injury, multiple facial fractures (jaw, nose, sinus), lacerations, and knee injuries in his accident.

At last report, the knee injuries do not appear to be structural, but he required seven hours of surgery to stabilize multiple facial fractures.

Early reports suggested that Roethlisberger was dazed and disoriented at the scene, but was showing signs of recovery before he was taken to surgery.

Though reassuring that Roethlisberger may have sustained only a moderate-to-severe concussion in the accident, patients who sustain serious blunt force head trauma can have delayed symptoms that may become life-threatening.

Roethlisberger will surely be monitored closely for any deterioration over the next hours to days. It may be some time before we learn what impact the head injury may have on his preparation for 2006.

Roethlisberger also suffered multiple facial fractures in the accident that were serious enough to require immediate evaluation and repair by a plastic surgeon. Nasal fractures, especially those associated with sinus fractures, can be significant enough to require fixation with titanium plates. Certain sinus and facial fractures are sometimes associated with injuries to the eye socket as well. It is also likely that Roethlisberger also needed wire fixation for jaw fractures.

Recovery from facial injuries like these is injury-dependent, but you can reasonably expect wire fixation of jaw fractures to last between 6-8 weeks. Fixation of other facial fractures would be permanent. Roethlisberger will likely be restricted from contact for some time after that, putting his return in late August at the earliest. If Roethlisberger's concussion proves to be only moderate and his recovery from his facial injuries goes smoothly, it is conceivable that he could be under center on opening weekend. But the length of his surgery is worrisome for facial injuries severe enough to restrict him from contract for an extended period of time. All bets may also be off if it is learned that his knee injuries are more than road rash."

Dr. LaBrasca had this for us Monday night while Roethlisberger was still in surgery: "Some of the positive things include that all ligaments in both knees are intact.

Unfortunately, there are more negatives than positives. He has lost a lot of blood, and was still in surgery well past 7 PM EST. He suffered many facial fractures, and three trauma surgeons, the head plastic surgeon and the head ENT surgeon are currently figuring out what they are going to do.

There is a significant amount of facial edema (swelling), which makes it difficult to assess the full extent of the injuries.

To me, this could possibly mean multiple surgeries over the next few days up to a week or more. They will place multiple plates and screws in his face to align his upper and lower teeth (or what's left of them).

What does all of this mean to his season? To me, it means that at the very least, he will have his jaw wired shut for 6-8 weeks, and this will cause him to lose weight, strength, and muscle. More importantly, his surgeons will want no contact to his face for several months - possibly somewhere between 3-6 depending on the actual extent of his injuries. This part is speculation by me at this point, but it's based on experience with facial fractures and trying to figure out the extent of his injuries."

Again, I'll stress that this is speculation on the part of both these physicians. But it's speculation coming from people who are intimately familiar with the processes and understand the nuances that are sometimes unseen by the public. I thought you guys might enjoy an expert medical opinion as opposed to the talking heads for a change. Obviously, we'll have more on this in the coming days and weeks.

morphius
06-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Bob Dole isn't a proponent of more laws, but he also doesn't think the little M is difficult enough to acquire.

Of course, Bob Dole doesn't think the regular DL is difficult enough to acquire or maintain.
Wasn't difficult in NE, took the class, past their tests, took in the piece of paper to the state, take picture, pay $10.

Ohhhh, hard :D

Radar Chief
06-13-2006, 08:29 AM

Got that right. Take a couple locus, or horse flies, or worse yet a bees, to the forehead and it’ll change your mind ‘bout no helmets=cool.

BucEyedPea
06-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Got that right. Take a couple locus, or horse flies, or worse yet a bees, to the forehead and it’ll change your mind ‘bout no helmets=cool.
Yep! Ye'r is cun'try folk fo sure! :)

StcChief
06-13-2006, 08:37 AM
How do you tell a happy motorcyclist....

Number of bugs in his teeth

Cochise
06-13-2006, 08:44 AM
I recently got one of the flipup full-face helmets and it seems to work pretty well, although it's louder. The utility is nice if you want to get some air at a stoplight, take a drink real quick, got something in your eye, want to talk to someone, etc.

Radar Chief
06-13-2006, 08:48 AM
I recently got one of the flipup full-face helmets and it seems to work pretty well, although it's louder. The utility is nice if you want to get some air at a stoplight, take a drink real quick, got something in your eye, want to talk to someone, etc.

When buy’n a new helmet look for Snell and/or DOT approval stickers on the back of it. Beyond that, get one that looks good and fits you well, is comfortable.

Radar Chief
06-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Yep! Ye'r is cun'try folk fo sure! :)

Hey, I’ve seen some of you east coast city slickers ride’n without even eye protection. :shake:
Do that ‘round here and you’re beg’n to loose an eye.

Cochise
06-13-2006, 08:51 AM
When buy’n a new helmet look for Snell and/or DOT approval stickers on the back of it. Beyond that, get one that looks good and fits you well, is comfortable.

Yeah, I wouldn't go cheap on one, but I'm not sure what the difference is between your average SNELL and the $600 setup, safety-wise. Seems like it's just weight and comfort features.

Cochise
06-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Hey, I’ve seen some of you east coast city slickers ride’n without even eye protection. :shake:
Do that ‘round here and you’re beg’n to loose an eye.

There's a guy I see in my neighborhood sometimes riding around on an old late 70s-early 80s UJM, and he wears a pair of those oversize glasses you'd wear if you were running a weedeater or something.

I guess it's better than nothing, or some gas station sunglasses :shrug:

Lzen
06-13-2006, 09:10 AM

I don't know about what is required for motorcycle licenses in KS, but I do know that a regular class C automobile license is way to easy to acquire and maintin.

Radar Chief
06-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't go cheap on one, but I'm not sure what the difference is between your average SNELL and the $600 setup, safety-wise. Seems like it's just weight and comfort features.

Yup, that’s exactly right.
If you’ve got the $$$ for a Shoei, by all means knock yourself out, but it won’t protect your melon any better than, say, a $200 HJC as long as they both have the DOT and/or Snell approval.

bogie
06-13-2006, 11:09 AM
By "bike friendly," Bob Dole was referring to the other motorists.

But yeah...it's a little tough to carry your clubs around with you on a bike.

It's bike friendly, at least in my area. My commute to work is only a couple of miles as well, all side streets. Most drivers seem okay with bikes on the road and the streets and freeways are in pretty good shape.

I love to ride but don't seem to find the time right now. It seems silly for me to have $3k just sitting in my drive.