PDA

View Full Version : Need some fantasy football advice

noa
06-12-2006, 02:12 PM
I have the #3 pick in my draft this year. My buddies and I have had this league going for 7 years and this is the first year that we are going to make it a keeper league. That means everyone is available, and my first round pick will be on my roster for years to come. If we were playing without keepers, I would take either Tomlinson or Shaun Alexander, but since RBs have such short shelf-lives, I'm tempted to take a QB like Peyton Manning who will produce steadily for a while. Any thoughts?

DaKCMan AP
06-12-2006, 02:18 PM
I'd go for a stud QB who has years ahead of him like Manning or possibly McNabb. Every other QB has questions (of consistency or health - mostly health ala culpepper, palmer, brees, and now roethlisberger).

Otherwise get a young stud RB like LJ, Tomlinson or Alexander.

rad
06-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Brodie Croyle :D

ct
06-12-2006, 02:28 PM
How many keepers?

Personally, I wouldn't take Alexander in a keeper league, IF I'm allowed to trade. Looking to the future, if LJ or LT are there, then certainly take em, otherwise, maybe Steven Jackson or Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams in a trade down, if allowed.

Just like was said, because of injury, you can get the best young QB in the NFL a bit later, in Carson Palmer.

noa
06-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I would love to snag Carson Palmer in the 2nd round and hang on to him for a while. I'm definitely shying away from Shaun Alexander just cause I think he's probably got only one or two years left as an elite back. If Palmer's not around in the 2nd round, maybe I'll wait to the 3rd round and take a risk on Matt Leinart. I really like the players he has around him, so hopefully it would pay off in the future.

greg63
06-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Kyle Turley!

ct
06-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I would love to snag Carson Palmer in the 2nd round and hang on to him for a while. I'm definitely shying away from Shaun Alexander just cause I think he's probably got only one or two years left as an elite back. If Palmer's not around in the 2nd round, maybe I'll wait to the 3rd round and take a risk on Matt Leinart. I really like the players he has around him, so hopefully it would pay off in the future.

That's a decent plan looking for the future, but you will pay for it this year. You have to keep all my comments in the 'grain of salt' file, my league is only a 1 player keeper, not at all what it sounds like you're starting.

sedated
06-12-2006, 02:55 PM
LJ is the best bet. With that pick you need a RB.

Alexander is 31 (?), and LT has already taken many hits.

Do you get to pick who you keep, or pre-arranged before the draft?

If you get to pick one keeper at the end of the season to keep, don't even think about the future when drafting, someone you didn't expect will become a stud.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-12-2006, 02:56 PM
I'd go with LJ if you can get him. Should have 4-5 productive years in him at least. After that his running style may catch up
with him.

noa
06-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Unfortuantely, the league inovles all Chiefs fans, so LJ will be the number one pick. I only get to keep one player from the first round and then one rookie. LT does worry me cause he has taken a lot of hits and he always slows down at the end of the season, and Alexander is too old to be a keeper.

Predarat
06-12-2006, 03:00 PM
I always go RB first and LJ would make a great keeper!

Iowanian
06-12-2006, 03:03 PM
I'd take the best RB under 30 available. I think LT is the best all around back in the league. With your rookie, you could target Bush or Leinhart.

noa
06-12-2006, 03:12 PM
I'd take the best RB under 30 available. I think LT is the best all around back in the league. With your rookie, you could target Bush or Leinhart.

Good advice...I'm definitely tempted by both.

Valiant
06-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Depending on how big the league is, say 12-14 I would only draft manning if i were in spots 7-12... With the 3rd pick you have to go with an elite RB... You can always get QB's tha post similar or really close numbers in the next four rounds..

Alexander would not be a bad pick no matter what the others say, he has never been injured and only been in the league 5 years...

LT and LJ's lines might be questionable in the next few years, but both are solid picks also... LT will get the extra carries with a new QB, and Herm wants to run the ball more... LT has never been seriously hurt and LJ has only had one year of heavy carries...

If you do not draft one of these three you will regret it...

Valiant
06-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Unfortuantely, the league inovles all Chiefs fans, so LJ will be the number one pick. I only get to keep one player from the first round and then one rookie. LT does worry me cause he has taken a lot of hits and he always slows down at the end of the season, and Alexander is too old to be a keeper.

Umm he is only 28, LT is is 26 and LJ turns 26 this year also... would not say he is that old..

JBucc
06-12-2006, 04:37 PM
If you're number three LJ and LT with probably both be gone. I'd just go with Alexander. Even if he only plays two years it will be a good two years. Just be sure to pick up someone like Ronnie Brown or Cadillac Williams or Reggie Bush who can take over after Alexander retires, if this league lasts that long.

Ebolapox
06-12-2006, 04:39 PM
I definately wouldn't take roethlisberger...

rad
06-12-2006, 07:47 PM
I definately wouldn't take roethlisberger...

Gee, ya think. :rolleyes:

wutamess
06-12-2006, 08:11 PM
P. Manning
Palmer
Bulger - Over Eli because he's in a domed stadium.
E. Manning
Hasselback
Vick

In that order.

wutamess
06-12-2006, 08:17 PM
LJ
Shaun
LT
Portis
S. Jackson
McGahee
L Jordan
C. Williams
Barber
R. Bush
D. Davis

in that order

KevB
06-12-2006, 09:07 PM
I'd take LJ, LT, Alexander in that order, and it's a precipitous drop to the next player....even in your keeper. Alexander has another good 3 to 4 years left in him at least. Take the sure thing with the #3 pick. You'll have plenty of opportunities to replace him with the next hot RB 2, 3 or 4 years from now. If you take a Ronnie Brown or Caddy, who's to say they develop into a stud? Everyone thought McGahee, Kevin Jones and Julius Jones were poised to become studs this year and look what happened.

Taco John
06-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Why in the world wouldn't you take LJ?

Taco John
06-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Oh wait... Nevermind. He'll be gone by #3.

I'd say take Carson Palmer if it weren't for his injury. Still might be worth a look in a keeper league.

Jesus
06-12-2006, 10:02 PM
P. Manning
Palmer
Bulger - Over Eli because he's in a domed stadium.
E. Manning
Hasselback
Vick

In that order.

Vick. Still giving him the love, after all the disappointment.

wutamess
06-12-2006, 10:13 PM
I can't stand Vick myself.
Have never picked him on any of my ffl teams.
I couldn't understand how people loved McNair when he was just average.

Still can't understand the love for McNabb so many have.
threw Vick in there because I couldn't think of anyone else.

Jesus
06-12-2006, 10:18 PM
I can't stand Vick myself.
Have never picked him on any of my ffl teams.
I couldn't understand how people loved McNair when he was just average.

Still can't understand the love for McNabb so many have.
threw Vick in there because I couldn't think of anyone else.
Eh....Trent Green? He and Gonzo will be truly "bad" this year. Parker and Thorpe will have break out seasons too. LJ will get his share, but Herm is gonna go to the air in the Red Zone more than Dick did.

wutamess
06-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Doubt it...
Besides... He's asking for keeper players and I doubt Trent has more than 3 years left in him.

Jesus
06-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Doubt it...
Besides... He's asking for keeper players and I doubt Trent has more than 3 years left in him.

You are right then. My bad. I'm new to the ffl stuff. Thanks for not dissin' the noob.

noa
06-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Oh wait... Nevermind. He'll be gone by #3.

I'd say take Carson Palmer if it weren't for his injury. Still might be worth a look in a keeper league.

Yeah, I have a feeling Palmer will bounce back well, so I will definitely consider him. Do you guys think Peyton will have better fantasy numbers this year? My thinking is that he'll have to throw more in the red zone without edgerrin james.

wutamess
06-12-2006, 10:39 PM
You are right then. My bad. I'm new to the ffl stuff. Thanks for not dissin' the noob.

Shuttup n00b.

Rausch
06-12-2006, 10:39 PM
I have the #3 pick in my draft this year. My buddies and I have had this league going for 7 years and this is the first year that we are going to make it a keeper league. That means everyone is available, and my first round pick will be on my roster for years to come. If we were playing without keepers, I would take either Tomlinson or Shaun Alexander, but since RBs have such short shelf-lives, I'm tempted to take a QB like Peyton Manning who will produce steadily for a while. Any thoughts?

QB is the 2nd most important position.

Your first pick should be a young RB who looks to produce for years. I'd pick a LJ, Bush, Tomlinson, Stephen Jackson, or Cadillac.

You'll be able to get a steal at QB this year because EVERY QB has issues.

Culpepper is injured, Palmer is injured, Manning just lost a lineman and his stud HB, Favre is ancient, Big Ben just did a face plant at high speed, McNair is always hurt, McNabb is back to his pre-TO slag WR's and a HC that refuses to run the ball, and Green will be leading a run-oriented offense this year.

If I had to pick one QB I'd go with Delhomme. He's got Smith and Me-shawn, and if foster comes back at 100% a solid running game. He seems to have the biggest upside with the lowest risk.

There will be 20 productive WR's this year. I'd wait on that late, even to the point of taking a Gonzo/Shockey/Gates first. There are only 3 legit fantasy TE's right now and having one gives you a HUGE advantage...

Jesus
06-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Shuttup n00b.

Damn. I hope you are already asking Dad for forgiveness...

wutamess
06-12-2006, 10:44 PM
QB is the 2nd most important position.

Your first pick should be a young RB who looks to produce for years. I'd pick a LJ, Bush, Tomlinson, Stephen Jackson, or Cadillac.

You'll be able to get a steal at QB this year because EVERY QB has issues.

Culpepper is injured, Palmer is injured, Manning just lost a lineman and his stud HB, Favre is ancient, Big Ben just did a face plant at high speed, McNair is always hurt, McNabb is back to his pre-TO slag WR's and a HC that refuses to run the ball, and Green will be leading a run-oriented offense this year.

If I had to pick one QB I'd go with Delhomme. He's got Smith and Me-shawn, and if foster comes back at 100% a solid running game. He seems to have the biggest upside with the lowest risk.

There will be 20 productive WR's this year. I'd wait on that late, even to the point of taking a Gonzo/Shockey/Gates first. There are only 3 legit fantasy TE's right now and having one gives you a HUGE advantage...

I thought about Delhomme but couldn't remember his freaking name.
Good post.

CHENZ A!
06-12-2006, 10:45 PM

I might put Todd Heap in there with those 3 TE's, he had decent #'s last yr, and Mcnair(I know he's old, but much better than Boller) is throwing to him this season.

wutamess
06-12-2006, 10:48 PM
McNair can KMA!

Boller will be the starter.
He had a great 2nd half last year.
Truthfully I think he'll be a helluav sleeper that you may be able to pickup through free agency this year.

wutamess
06-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Him and McMahon (I think he went to Detroit from Arizona).

Jesus
06-12-2006, 10:49 PM
I might put Todd Heap in there with those 3 TE's, he had decent #'s last yr, and Mcnair(I know he's old, but much better than Boller) is throwing to him this season.

With McNair as QB, Heap should get some love. He's fourth on the list though.

Jesus
06-12-2006, 10:50 PM
McNair can KMA!

Boller will be the starter.
He had a great 2nd half last year.
Truthfully I think he'll be a helluav sleeper that you may be able to pickup through free agency this year.

You think Baltimore is gonna deal McNair all that jack, and not start him?

BWillie
06-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Last year I picked almost all Chiefs on my team to mock Fantasy League. I literally picked 90% Chiefs. I started off 0-5..then picked up some guys through free agency and trades and ended up decent enough to make the playoffs. Larry carried me

noa
06-12-2006, 10:54 PM
Last year I picked almost all Chiefs on my team to mock Fantasy League. I literally picked 90% Chiefs. I started off 0-5..then picked up some guys through free agency and trades and ended up decent enough to make the playoffs. Larry carried me

I had Trent, Priest, and LJ...Trent killed me at the beginning of the season and Priest obviously didn't help later on, but LJ was a beast.

CHENZ A!
06-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Last yr.

Heap: 75 rec 855 yds 7 td

Shockey: 65 rec 891 yds 7 td

Crumpler: 65 rec 877 yds 5 td

I'd put these three on the second tier, right after TG and Gates. But I'd prefer Heap of the group.

cdcox
06-12-2006, 11:05 PM
I've never played FF and this post demonstrates why: a ton of talk about QBs and not one mention of Tom Brady.

Rausch
06-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Oh, and I've run a keeper league for 5 years now. I ALWAYS grab a RB I think will be a dominant rusher down the road.

Rookies I've drafted: Dayne, McAlister, Tomlinson, Stephen Jackson, Cadillac, Julius Jones.

Not great, but pretty good picks for the most part.

Bush will go early, I'd wait until later (6th-9th round) and grab De Angelo Williams, Lendale White, or Maurice Drew...

Jesus
06-12-2006, 11:53 PM
I've never played FF and this post demonstrates why: a ton of talk about QBs and not one mention of Tom Brady.

Brady just wins. Sometimes the stat sheet doesn't show that. And FFLs are all about STATS, as I understand it.

JBucc
06-13-2006, 06:45 AM
I've never played FF and this post demonstrates why: a ton of talk about QBs and not one mention of Tom Brady.He's actually had very good stats the last couple of years. He's probably third behind Manning and Palmer.

chop
06-13-2006, 07:12 AM
I'm in a keeper league. We can keep two players so I have to decide between P. Manning, L. Johnson, S. Jackson, D. McAllister, slim to no shot L. Jordan, C. Benson, and S. Gado.

I think the majority of people here would go with LJ and P. Manning. That is probably who I will go with also.

ct
06-13-2006, 07:18 AM

If that's the case, then most likely LJ and LdT will be #1 and #2. If I'm you, and can only keep 1 vet and 1 rookie, then #3 I'd take Steven Jackson.

ct
06-13-2006, 07:22 AM
I'm in a keeper league. We can keep two players so I have to decide between P. Manning, L. Johnson, S. Jackson, D. McAllister, slim to no shot L. Jordan, C. Benson, and S. Gado.

I think the majority of people here would go with LJ and P. Manning. That is probably who I will go with also.

Not me, I'll always take 2 stud RBs over RB/QB. I'd go LJ and SJ. I have never taken a QB above the 5th round, and I've won 3 of the last 4 championships, but hey, you want Peyton, go 4 it.

CHENZ A!
06-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Not me, I'll always take 2 stud RBs over RB/QB. I'd go LJ and SJ. I have never taken a QB above the 5th round, and I've won 3 of the last 4 championships, but hey, you want Peyton, go 4 it.

agreed. I am usually able to get a serviceable QB later in the draft. Delhomme last yr, and Trent the yr before.

chop
06-13-2006, 04:14 PM

Interesting, I always do the same thing with the exception of last year. I usually win but last year I did not. That is why I'm undecided about who to keep. I'm leaning towards Manning again because I have the third pick in the draft where I should be able to pick up a good player. I'm still undecided. I may go with LJ and SJ and still take another RB or a stud WR (if available) with the third pick.

KevB
06-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Interesting, I always do the same thing with the exception of last year. I usually win but last year I did not. That is why I'm undecided about who to keep. I'm leaning towards Manning again because I have the third pick in the draft where I should be able to pick up a good player. I'm still undecided. I may go with LJ and SJ and still take another RB or a stud WR (if available) with the third pick.

I think the 2 stud RB theory is beginning to lose traction frankly. I've always gone RB/RB in the first two rounds, last year included. However, if you're faced with drafting Manning, who's an absolute shoe in for 30+ TDs, or the #11 RB....who's the best value? I was able to get the likes of Rudi Johnson, Cadillac, and LaMont Jordan in 10 team redraft last year. There are RBs to be had in the 3rd round.