PDA

View Full Version : From a fan's perspective, what is the worst way to see a player's career end?

Rain Man
06-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Poll coming. No, wait! It's a car! AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

banyon
06-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Pat Tillman

4th and Long
06-12-2006, 06:05 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/hall_of_fame/derrick_thomas.jpg

FAX
06-12-2006, 06:06 PM
Maybe evil buddy isn't so evil after all.

FAX

BucEyedPea
06-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Any career-ending injury/death on or off the field.

NJ Chief Fan
06-12-2006, 06:10 PM
http://www.mikeutley.org/images/mike.gif

Nzoner
06-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Any career-ending injury/death on or off the field.

I'm going with on the field simply because if the accident is caused by being a dumbass it's really hard for me to find pity for them.

ChiefsFire
06-12-2006, 06:14 PM
i said drugs

unless someone is forcing deeding you drugs,you pretty much have control over that..accidents and injuries tend to be outta the blue

Cochise
06-12-2006, 06:14 PM
I would say the guy who just hangs on too long.

If injury ends their career when they still have the ability, at least they went out when they could still do it, in a way.

Nothing sadder than an old hero who didn't know when to hang 'em up.

BucEyedPea
06-12-2006, 06:17 PM
i said drugs

unless someone is forcing deeding you drugs,you pretty much have control over that..accidents and injuries tend to be outta the blue

How does that get done? :p

Adept Havelock
06-12-2006, 06:18 PM
For me, an accident. Specifically, ending up dying in a hospital bed from injuries caused by a meaningless auto accident because they didn't bother to wear a seat belt when the roads were icy.

It cost this team one of the greatest linebackers ever. That's why it's the worst in my book.

Adept Havelock
06-12-2006, 06:19 PM
I would say the guy who just hangs on too long.

If injury ends their career when they still have the ability, at least they went out when they could still do it, in a way.

Nothing sadder than an old hero who didn't know when to hang 'em up.

True. One of the most tragic things I've ever witnessed was Johnny Unitas wearing a Chargers Uniform.

listopencil
06-12-2006, 06:25 PM
"Ghastly onfield injury during a game"

Frazod
06-12-2006, 06:31 PM
For me, an accident. Specifically, ending up dying in a hospital bed from injuries caused by a meaningless auto accident because they didn't bother to wear a seat belt when the roads were icy.

It cost this team one of the greatest linebackers ever. That's why it's the worst in my book.

What he said. Been thinking about it all day, too, after Rothlisberger's accident. :(

Otter
06-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Who was the running back drafted to be in the NFL then received a career ending injury in a flag football game for NFL rookies.

Id have to say that would be the most devastating to me. To make it to that point then have it taken away in such a trivial manner.

KcMizzou
06-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Who was the running back drafted to be in the NFL then received a career ending injury in a flag football game for NFL rookies.
Damn... he went to Georgia, didn't he?

KcMizzou
06-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Robert Edwards

Nightwish
06-12-2006, 06:38 PM
I went with "bad accident off the field." If they suffer a career-ending injury on the field, at least they got to go out doing something they love to do, and there's a certain nobility in that. But to have your career end because of something that had nothing to do with what you love to do, that's gotta be the worst.

pak1983
06-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Robert Edwards could have been all pro, taken state. you know the drill........

greg63
06-12-2006, 06:47 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/hall_of_fame/derrick_thomas.jpg

I didn't vote this option, but point well taken.

JBucc
06-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Robert Edwards could have been all pro, taken state. you know the drill........He had over 1000 yards his rookie year, IIRC.

KCBOSS1
06-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Derrick Thomas

chiefqueen
06-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Joe Delaney.

CoMoChief
06-12-2006, 07:33 PM
I'd say injury, like the guy who got paralyzed on the field after some hit. Im glad it didnt happen to Priest.

HemiEd
06-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Rice ruined his image for me. Now, he shows up on several shows a week as a guest apearance. I am sick of him, and his bald oblong coconut.

RedandGold
06-12-2006, 07:38 PM
My vote is for the on-field injury. To me, there's nothing worse than watching a game and seeing a gruesome injury (Theisman) end a guy's career.

It sucks watching someone that just won't retire (Marino, Emmitt Smith, Jerry Rice), but it's not nearly as bad as actually watching a career end in an injury.

Tribal Warfare
06-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Any type of career ending injury on or off is always gut wrenching

chagrin
06-12-2006, 09:11 PM
As an Arizona Cardinal

DJay23
06-12-2006, 09:15 PM
After Michael Jordan's first come back, I gave him a pass. Beyond that, I hated him for yo-yoing the way he did. Just go MJ. I couldn't stand to see him basically as a role player/circus act on a crappy team. My final memory of him should have been that shot versus Utah in the Finals.

CoMoChief
06-12-2006, 09:18 PM
I dont know why I thought about this, but whatever happened to Robert Smith? I know hes retired but why?

keg in kc
06-12-2006, 09:19 PM
The way Gannon's ended had to be the worst...

...only because it didn't end after his Super Bowl performance. That would've been sweet.

chagrin
06-12-2006, 09:22 PM
I dont know why I thought about this, but whatever happened to Robert Smith? I know hes retired but why?

I'm sure there is an article somewhere that people could find on this, but basically he retired because he didn't want to play professional football anymore, period. He wanted to further educate himself in either Mathematics or Science related shit. I think I read somewhere that he wanted to teach even, something like that.

The Red Sea
06-12-2006, 10:25 PM
I can only imagine how torn I'd be to be a Pack fan.
Unless I missed it nobodys mentioned Farve yet.
Horrid way to look your last few yrs..even getting bad in the media a bit of late & with his team.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/2503/favreotcsmall7kf.jpg

Also wanted to say R.I.P DT!

What a horrible day that was when I found out he passed away..Especially after thinking he Might pull thru.
Not much fun losing a Great player by way of an off season accident.

Moooo
06-12-2006, 10:40 PM
I bet if you got Orson Welles underwater when he was still around, he would be quite graceful... like a hippo or something...

But I say injury off the field. A player kinda prepares for a huge injury cause of the game, its what they do. But these players have to live a life after the game is over, and when you get injured off the field, sometimes that doesn't happen. Obviously, DT comes to mind when I say this.

Moooo

Taco John
06-12-2006, 10:47 PM
This is an eerie thread on a Chiefs forum...

wazu
06-12-2006, 11:06 PM
The one that was the toughest to me...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/tescosuicide/ALa2/Patrick-Tillman.gif

Nightwish
06-12-2006, 11:20 PM
The way Gannon's ended had to be the worst...

...only because it didn't end after his Super Bowl performance. That would've been sweet.
How about Dan Marino's last game? Getting whalloped by some 40-odd points?

KCBOSS1
06-12-2006, 11:40 PM
You know, I hear what some of you guys are saying about players playing too long, with the Johnny U., Jerry Rice and even Namath in LA. But then again, as a mid thirties guy, I can also understand a guy just wanting to play and contribute. It's all they've ever known. Think about it, most of these guys have been stars since pee wee. They know once they walk away, it's over. I can appreciate any guy wanting to go out on his own terms.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-12-2006, 11:44 PM
I can't imagine any ending to a career being worse than dying trying to save someone else's life. You don't end your career doing what you love, and you aren't trained to be heroic, you just do it because it is the right thing to do and it costs you your life in the process.

CHENZ A!
06-12-2006, 11:52 PM
After Michael Jordan's first come back, I gave him a pass. Beyond that, I hated him for yo-yoing the way he did. Just go MJ. I couldn't stand to see him basically as a role player/circus act on a crappy team. My final memory of him should have been that shot versus Utah in the Finals.

I never had a problem with MJ hanging on. His skills had clearly diminished, but he was the ultimate competitor, and he loved to play the game(it's not like he needed the money). Where as you or me would just go play at the park, or in a rec league, Jordan couldn't do that for obvious reasons.

PastorMikH
06-13-2006, 12:00 AM
I'm taking the "Played at a high level and enjoyed much success for numerous years on a reputable team, and was a fan favorite. But then decides to prolong his career by going to Oakland or/(and) Denver." option.

I guess that would be "Other, Please Explain"

KCBOSS1
06-13-2006, 12:37 AM
I am a pastor as well. I appreciate the respect that you seem to carry on this site and the way that you seem to handle yourself. I talked to a friend of mine that is also on this site and he said that you have been on here for a long time. Anyway, I just want to say that I appreciate your presence here.