PDA

View Full Version : Dayton Moore on Luke Hochevar

Cochise
06-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Noticed this bit in the Duckworth article.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060611&content_id=1500302&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

High on Hochevar: If the Atlanta Braves would have had the No. 1 pick in the recent First-Year Player Draft, Moore can vouch for the fact that the Braves would have done what the Royals did by taking right-hander Luke Hochevar.

"He was No. 1 on our board in Atlanta," said Moore, who worked with the Braves through the draft before taking over the Kansas City GM job.

Moore added that he felt Hochevar would have been a top-10 pick last year if not for signability issues.

Moore termed the Hochevar negotiations in the introductory phase as Hochevar waits to see what happens with those players drafted just below him. Deric Ladnier, the Royals senior director of scouting, is the point man in those negotiations.

Once Hochevar is signed, Moore said the plan is for the right-hander to start at the Class A level and progress at his own pace.

ChiefsFire
06-12-2006, 05:12 PM
good PC answer

sedated
06-12-2006, 05:22 PM
I'd love to see him say, "I've got my work cut out for me, and it doesn't help that they wasted the number 1 pick on this loser."

beer bacon
06-12-2006, 05:25 PM
I'd love to see him say, "I've got my work cut out for me, and it doesn't help that they wasted the number 1 pick on this loser."

That would be a pretty damn stupid thing for a GM to say about a #1 draft pick he is trying to sign. It isn't like he can send him back and ask for another guy.

Spicy McHaggis
06-12-2006, 05:28 PM
That would be a pretty damn stupid thing for a GM to say about a #1 draft pick he is trying to sign. It isn't like he can send him back and ask for another guy.

adjust your sarcasm meter.

chief52
06-12-2006, 05:37 PM
I just do not see how they will be willing to pay him more than the Dodgers offered him. They know what the final Dodger offer was though, so I guess they are willing to break out the cash. Hell, they may actually decide to spend some of the interest off all the cap tax $$$$$$$$$$ they have been hording.

keg in kc
06-12-2006, 08:17 PM
I just do not see how they will be willing to pay him more than the Dodgers offered him. They know what the final Dodger offer was though, so I guess they are willing to break out the cash. Hell, they may actually decide to spend some of the interest off all the cap tax $$$$$$$$$$ they have been hording.The Dodgers took him somewhere like 40th last year. I would imagine we'll pay 2 million or so beyond what LA offered (just under 3 million i think it was).

tk13
06-12-2006, 08:51 PM
The money he wanted from the Dodgers last year was Alex Gordon money... #1/2 slot money. This year, he got drafted in the #1 slot, so he should get that money. I don't think it'll be a huge problem.

tk13
06-12-2006, 08:59 PM
And really, I wouldn't be surprised if Moore slipped a *cough*draft Hochevar*cough* to our baseball people. He had to take the PC route when answering that question though.

I would say I was really impressed with Andrew Miller when I saw him pitch the other day in the Super Regionals. We'll see how he does in the College World Series, but he looked pretty good. All these "experts" that got on him about not having an off speed pitch need to be fired. The guy threw several 80 mph curve/sliders. Just a nasty pitch. I made the comment when discussing him before the draft that Randy Johnson didn't need an offspeed pitch, but he threw 100 mph. Well, I don't want to make that comparison, but after seeing him pitch, he is a very lanky lefty with pretty much the same release point that makes it brutal for lefties to pick up the ball. He works from about 80-95 mph, which is about the same range Johan Santana works. Plus he wasn't afraid to bust you inside at all. I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a successful pitcher.

chief52
06-12-2006, 09:07 PM
The Dodgers took him somewhere like 40th last year. I would imagine we'll pay 2 million or so beyond what LA offered (just under 3 million i think it was).

The Dodgers took him low but that was only because everyone was passing on him due to his contract demands. They knew he was one of the top players in the draft and would be again this year. Yes, I think they thought they had him signed at close to $3 million and then he backed out...or so they say.

JBucc
06-12-2006, 09:10 PM
He will sign with us for less because we are a quality organization with a stand up owner. mmmmmmmm hmmmmmmmm

Cochise
06-12-2006, 09:33 PM
I would say I was really impressed with Andrew Miller when I saw him pitch the other day in the Super Regionals. We'll see how he does in the College World Series, but he looked pretty good. All these "experts" that got on him about not having an off speed pitch need to be fired. The guy threw several 80 mph curve/sliders. Just a nasty pitch. I made the comment when discussing him before the draft that Randy Johnson didn't need an offspeed pitch, but he threw 100 mph. Well, I don't want to make that comparison, but after seeing him pitch, he is a very lanky lefty with pretty much the same release point that makes it brutal for lefties to pick up the ball. He works from about 80-95 mph, which is about the same range Johan Santana works. Plus he wasn't afraid to bust you inside at all. I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a successful pitcher.

Cool. Nice to hear some firsthand info.

There aren't too many guys out there like Randy Johnson, so I would hesitate to make that comparison, but I'm sure Miller has a great chance to be successful.

I didn't know or pretend to know a lot about the top of the class pitchers this year; I'm just glad that we picked the one of them they liked and didn't go for an economy pick like Stubbs or whomever else.

tk13
06-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Cool. Nice to hear some firsthand info.

There aren't too many guys out there like Randy Johnson, so I would hesitate to make that comparison, but I'm sure Miller has a great chance to be successful.

I didn't know or pretend to know a lot about the top of the class pitchers this year; I'm just glad that we picked the one of them they liked and didn't go for an economy pick like Stubbs or whomever else.
Yeah, I haven't seen Hochevar pitch at all, so I don't know, he could be even better. Plus the rumors were Andrew Miller was asking for a ton of money, and maybe even was working on a deal with the Red Sox hoping he'd fall that far. You can see why, he's got great stuff even if he only has two pitches. But UNC won their Super Regional, so Miller will probably be on TV again during the College World Series. We'll see if he can pitch that well again.

morphius
06-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Now I'm confused, Moore said earlier that the Braves were not even looking at people that would go that early in the draft because they knew they were not picking that low and it was a waste of time. Yet, here he is saying that this would have been his first pick.

hmmmmm.

morphius
not shocked...

beavis
06-12-2006, 11:15 PM
Now I'm confused, Moore said earlier that the Braves were not even looking at people that would go that early in the draft because they knew they were not picking that low and it was a waste of time. Yet, here he is saying that this would have been his first pick.

hmmmmm.

morphius
not shocked...
I think they'd still have to project who might go where in anticipation of what'd they'd have to chose from in their spot. Maybe I'm reaching... don't know.

Irving Falu
10-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Luke Hochevar has been pulled from the Grand Canyon Rafters squad of the Arizona Fall League due to shoulder stiffness. Hochevar is going undergo a medical examination today in Kansas City.

LINK: http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/15858965.htm

Woodrow Call
10-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Luke Hochevar has been pulled from the Grand Canyon Rafters squad of the Arizona Fall League due to shoulder stiffness. Hochevar is going undergo a medical examination today in Kansas City.

:cuss:

Stewie
10-27-2006, 04:16 PM

Was he the one pulling on Huard's groin? I'm sure it caused stiffness somewhere.

Irving Falu
10-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Good news about Hochevar! It's just a little strain.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061027&content_id=1725654&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb