PDA

View Full Version : Hawkeye Basketball

Phobia
11-29-2000, 12:02 PM
Anybody watch the game last night? It was my first Alford coached team that I watched from start to finish and I'm impressed!

redhed
11-29-2000, 12:41 PM
Recker is great, hmmm? You kinda knew they'd turn that program around w/ Alford at the helm. What he did with SMS was amazing. BTW, where was everybody the other day? (Granfalloon) I was there for a bit, but I didn't know what anybody looked like, so consequently I didn't meet anybody. I found the pics page, only after I got home. Oh well.

GO CHIEFS!! 9-7 HERE WE COME!!

rh :mad:<P>

htismaqe
11-29-2000, 01:03 PM
Evans is a horse...3 games, 3 double-doubles...

These guys are SOOO young. Give em a couple of years and the Hawks are going to be a real contender...

Boy am I glad they are too. After the Hawkeye football season, and the Chiefs...geez

------------------
Parker
[b]ChiefsPlanet Administrator</B>

Phobia
11-29-2000, 01:25 PM
redhead, sorry, man. I neglected to turn my pager to vibrate and missed your page. I'm assuming that was you. We were there and found each other....

Phobia
11-29-2000, 01:26 PM
I think the Hawks may even contend for an NCAA spot in the field of 64 this year. Maybe I'm easily impressed. Certainly, they'll be there in the coming years and perhaps even contend....

Anybody see Jones throw the forearm shiver?

redhed
11-29-2000, 01:43 PM
Yeah, that was my page. Hey, no biggie.

GO CHIEFS!!!<P>

Iowanian
11-29-2000, 01:49 PM
i live about 25 minutes from IC, and people are pretty excited around here...Ruecker's dad lives in this town....

I watched the first game, and they about lot to bubblegum state....but they should be good..

i'm more interested in watching the Hawk wrestling team bring home ANOTHER title...

Chief Henry
11-29-2000, 02:09 PM
KP,

The Knoxville Panthers boys b-ball team is #5 in class 3A this week. Our Big Reds have a very talented young group of boys.
It should be a good game next Tuesday night in Knoxville. I'll save you a seat...

Phobia
11-29-2000, 02:24 PM
Ruecker's father lives where? Muscatine?

Henry, That's pretty cool about Knoxville boys doing well. I don't think we've fared well at state since they were runner up in the late 70's. I think they lost to Storm Lake who had Todd (somebody) as their point guard. Todd eventually went on to star for the Hawkeyes as their point guard just prior to Carfino's arrival. Then I think he moved over to 2 guard as a senior or came off the bench.....

Iowanian
11-29-2000, 02:30 PM
kphob,

washington ia, straight south of ic on hwy 1.

Chief Henry
11-29-2000, 05:22 PM
KP,

My mistake, the Knoxville Panthers are #8
in Class 3A. Thats still good to me.
I think I'll schedule some business apointments next tuesday in Knoxville and then go the game that night.

I let you know how the game turns out.

Mi_chief_fan
11-30-2000, 07:43 AM
Hey Phil,
Hate to burst your bubble, but the big 10 STILL belongs to the mighty SPARTANS OF MICHIGAN STATE!!!!

Although, Iowa will be a very good team, methinks, as will Illinois.

[This message has been edited by Mi_chief_fan (edited 11-30-2000).]

Iowanian
11-30-2000, 08:07 AM
sorry mi,

without your chubby point guard..the hawks will know your spurtans off...

Mi_chief_fan
11-30-2000, 08:57 AM
Iowa,
Maybe you missed the game last night, but Charlie Bell ran the point pretty good, I thought.

BTW, Iowa doesn't have anyone who can cover Jason Richardson.

Iowanian
11-30-2000, 09:15 AM
mi,

I guess thats why they have to Play the games before determining final records...time will tell..

but, like i said earlier..I follow Hawk Wrestling more, and they will take Mi/mi state to school....

Mi_chief_fan
11-30-2000, 09:22 AM
Can't argue with that. Iowa wrestling is outstanding. I got a chance to see them in East Lansing when I was in High school, in 91. Iowa won on the last match, but the spartans wrestled well.

Is it something in the water in Iowa, or do farm boys still plow fields by attaching plows to themselves?

Iowanian
11-30-2000, 09:41 AM
mi,

you know, i think its a combination of a few things...

farm boys aren't what they used to be...the work isn't as hard, BUT riding a hay rack, or digging/tamping post holes and splitting wood...stuff like that does build a differnent kind of strenght....but many of Iowa's good wrestlers are city boys....

In HS, wrestling is still not seen as glamorous, and doesn't draw the numbers of participants or crowds.....it takes a certain breed....wrestling has to be in your blood...warrior mentality...barbarian..something..

I have cousins in peewee and one freshman...and still see the same family names my uncles talked about from schools....last year was the 1st year in nearly 20, that my family name wasn't represented on the HS varsity team..

and like FSU in football, tradition makes it alot easier to recruit the guys you want...

Mi_chief_fan
11-30-2000, 09:46 AM
Funny story, My senior year I went out for wrestling, and landed the varsity spot at heavyweight(even at 195 lbs), won my first 2 matches by pins, and then got my wrist broken in 3 places by the eventual state champ(6'3", 245lbs, 450 bench press).

Thus ended my Olympic dreams...... http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/frown.gif

Iowanian
11-30-2000, 09:50 AM
mi,

sounds like you should have started younger...wrestling is rough on the body...i think my wound list is something like 8 stitches, 3 broken fingers, 1 dislocated elbow, 1 sprained ankle, 3 broken ribs as a JR, and 4 in the finals of the first tourn. as a SR....alot of matches wrapped in alot of tape...but i absolutely loved it...and get an adrenoline rush just thinking aboutit...

Mi_chief_fan
11-30-2000, 09:56 AM
Like you said, it isn't a glamorous sport(unless your the rock or Stone Cold Steve Austin), I played football in the fall, took the winter off, and played baseball in the spring.

I was usually beat up after football season.

Mi_chief_fan
11-30-2000, 10:03 AM
I'm getting a little pumped up too. To fit the mood, I just put the "Vision Quest" sountrack on. Dio's "Hungry for Heaven" is on.

Remember Linda Fiorintino in that movie? WOW!

Iowanian
11-30-2000, 10:07 AM
that sounds like a good idea...though i don't own the movie..

shoop, shoop, shoop....I always thought i could take that guy...

I work out with the HS team here a little..and will alot more with the peewee ages...the coaches need a little break...

I wasn't that good at football...too white, slow and small....i wrestled 119 and 125 and played guard and OLB....and wedgebuster on kickoff....that was awesome...

Mi_chief_fan
11-30-2000, 10:27 AM
I don't own the movie either, just the soundtrack.

I'd like to see shoup carry a tree up& down our bleachers in Michigan in december.

Iowanian
11-30-2000, 10:50 AM
mi,

we never did any of that, but about 5 of us,(my brother and i, and 3 other brothers) who cut alot of weight, used to take a car hood out to the lake and night, pile on and ride to the bottom, and drag the thing back up the hill...it was actually a fun way to lose weight, not eat, or think about it....

Mi_chief_fan
11-30-2000, 10:54 AM
I didn't have to cut weight, thank god, I was actually undersized, but some of the guys would wear trash bags under their sweatsuits and run & spit, not drinking any water. Sounds pretty psychotic to me.

The hood thing sounds fun, though.

Iowanian
11-30-2000, 11:01 AM
my jr year i cut form 140 to 119...i did all of that...plastics, jump rope after practice, workout in the mornings, get a good sweat and climb into a rolled up mat....at home i'd lay under a quilt on the heat registar and split wood in the basement....it really really sucked...but in my mind, i thought i would do better...but it just made you weak....

now thank god, iowa has a rule that you can only cut to 1 weight class below, have a certain body fat % and they keep a close eye on the kids...all good things...i won't let my kids do it...and advise all my the guys who'll listen to get in the weight room and wrestle at their natural weight...

Mi_chief_fan
11-30-2000, 11:06 AM
Yeah, we even had a couple guys pass out from not eating, 1 had to be hospitalized.

We had a guy who was a state finalist at 119, and he was the center & defensive tackle, and was all-conference. He went on to graduate from West Point, because he was pretty smart too. He wrestled for Army too.

It reminded me of what you said about yourself.

Iowanian
11-30-2000, 12:26 PM
mi,

i could have wrestled at college, recruited for 118 or 126,but got really tired of cutting weight and being hurt...so i did the smart thing and drank beer at college and started riding bulls for my pain fix....turns out, i wasn't really good at that though...