PDA

View Full Version : What kind of puppy to get

IA_Chiefs_fan
06-13-2006, 02:44 PM
I have a wife, a 6 year old and a 9 year old that badly want a puppy. I don't really like dogs since I was attacked by one as a kid, but will try hard to like/tolerate this one for my family. I hate going into a person's house that has a dog that barks constantly, jumps up on me, sheds a lot or has made the whole house smell like dog. It will be a house dog and I want a small one that will be easy to potty train. We really know nothing about dogs. What breeds do you recommend? What breeds should I stay away from? And most importantly... What Chiefs related names could I use?

rageeumr
06-13-2006, 02:45 PM
I wish I could be of assistance, but I am in the middle of a knock-down drag-out with my wife about what kind of puppy to get. She wants an ankle-biting rat dog. I want a lab or a retriever. It's going to be a long, bloody negotiation.

jidar
06-13-2006, 02:46 PM
my recommendation is not to have an indoor dog.

I was in the exact same situation as you two years ago, got a dog for the family. Damned thing tore shit up in my house, pissed in the dinning room, etc.. etc. It took a year before I could convince my wife the dog needed to stay outside in a pen at least while we weren't home.

The dog was a big mistake.

Rain Man
06-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Talking. Get a talking puppy.

DaKCMan AP
06-13-2006, 02:48 PM
I've had westie's (west highland white terrior) my whole life. They're inside dogs, excellent with kids. Smart, can be trained fairly easily. They don't "shed" in the sense that some other breeds do.

Rain Man
06-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Oh. You mean breed. Other than "loveable mutt from the pound", which is a good way to go, I've always kind of liked greyhounds and their smaller cousins, the whippet. No reason.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-13-2006, 02:49 PM
Golden Retriever. Great with kids, obedient, good looking dog, etc. Can stay inside or out. If inside, give it a pillow to lay on, and it will stay there until you move it.

MOhillbilly
06-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Boston Bulldogs are cool.
basenji dogs dont have barking vocal cords, shed very little and are small.

Sully
06-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Get a mutt fromt he pound. They are more appreciative, and if you aren't too macho, the breed won't really matter.

Radar Chief
06-13-2006, 02:52 PM
I’m a fan of labs, particularly ‘round kids, but IMO the best way to go is to rescue a dog with a friendly demeanor from the pound.

DaKCMan AP
06-13-2006, 02:53 PM
I would recommend going to barnes and noble and looking through a dog encyclopedia. Then go by some pet stores and the pound (though they'll have mostly larger dogs) and see if there's any you like.

MOhillbilly
06-13-2006, 02:54 PM
patterdale/fell/jager terriers are nice. they come in wire or smooth coat. black/red and sometimes tri point.

theyre little but dont let there size fool you.

memyselfI
06-13-2006, 02:54 PM
I work in a vet's office. We see many different types of dogs with many different types of people. Here are some breeds that you might consider:

#1 a pug. They are not the most beautiful dogs but they are the sweetest and most gentle creatures on the planet. They don't get very big, don't shed much, and are very smart. They are not big fetch and play dogs. They are more sit with you while you watch TV sort of dogs.

#2 a boxer. They are super smart, sweet, and very affectionate. They tend to be VERY wild puppies so with a small child you might not have much time to train but once it's past the puppy stage you will have a fantastic dog. They don't require much grooming.

#3 Retrievers. Either Labrador or Goldens make fantastic pets with children. Like a boxer they need alot of stimulation when they are puppies but once past that stage they are great pets. Bad thing about Goldens is they require grooming.

Since you are looking for a small dog you might consider the Pug. They don't get tall as much as they get wide...and what little kid wouldn't love this?

http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures-gallery/dog-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/pug-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/pictures/pug-0103.jpg

http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures-gallery/dog-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/pug-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/pictures/pug-0084.jpg

pr_capone
06-13-2006, 02:56 PM
I have an 11 week old Australian Heeler and I love her to pieces. Extremely intelligent, very agile and could definately keep up with your kids, if not.. wear them out for you.

They dont get too big and avg from 30-50 pounds. They are fiercly loyal to their family, especially to the kids in the family and will give its life in trying to protect their family.

So far she isnt a yipper and doesnt go apeshit when someone knocks on the door or rings the bell but that could change.

She offers something to everyone... wont get tired of playing with the kids, would be loyal to you and the wife. :D Hard to go wrong... but they arent for everyone.

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/41e319bbzdcff15a1/20eere2/__sr_/3c64scd.jpg?phw3xjEBdmgQy.Ih

She is alot redder now... mostly on her back and it gradually turns to white the farther down the legs you look.

MOhillbilly
06-13-2006, 02:56 PM
I would recommend going to barnes and noble and looking through a dog encyclopedia. Then go by some pet stores and the pound (though they'll have mostly larger dogs) and see if there's any you like.

i agree but be carefull about those dog books alot of whats in them is complete bullshit (esp. books writen by and for the UKC & AKC fanciers).

The Monks of New Skete (The Art of Raising a Puppy) is an absolute must own IMO for dog owners.

EDIT-Something to really think about when considering a purebred versus a mutt.
Purebred dogs from breeders who cull for defects and only breed the best will have undeniable traits. Mongrels from the pound or dogfarms could be more of a pandoras box when searching for what traits a dog will have.

RockChalk
06-13-2006, 02:57 PM
I too had a westie as a kid growing up. Great dog. Get through the initial puppy stages and you will never regret owning a westie.

Bootlegged
06-13-2006, 03:00 PM
http://www.labpups.com/lab-puppy-litters/REG-3-Inline-400-01.jpg

Frosty
06-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Before you get a dog, watch every episode of The Dog Whisperer.

bluehawkdoc
06-13-2006, 03:05 PM
We got a Standard Poodle (bigger dog) late last year. I have four young daughters and Max is absolutely great with them (protective too). He doesn't shed and we had no trouble with house training.

Good luck!

memyselfI
06-13-2006, 03:05 PM
I would also recommend going to the local shelter or here (http://www.petfinder.com/) and just seeing if any dog steals your heart. Perhaps keep in mind certain breeds or mixes you'd be interested in and try to find a puppy (less than 5 months old) of that make. You will feel good knowing you saved a life and I swear these pets seem to know they have been given a second chance and will love you for it.

MOhillbilly
06-13-2006, 03:09 PM
We got a Standard Poodle (bigger dog) late last year. I have four young daughters and Max is absolutely great with them (protective too). He doesn't shed and we had no trouble with house training.

Good luck!

poodles have the biggest frontal lobe in the canine genotype.
cool dogs.

(psss i like dogs)
:p

MOhillbilly
06-13-2006, 03:10 PM
I would also recommend going to the local shelter or here (http://www.petfinder.com/) and just seeing if any dog steals your heart. Perhaps keep in mind certain breeds or mixes you'd be interested in and try to find a puppy (less than 5 months old) of that make. You will feel good knowing you saved a life and I swear these pets seem to know they have been given a second chance and will love you for it.

dont get all gooshey, the only know what is instinct and what you condition them to think,act,behave.

memyselfI
06-13-2006, 03:13 PM
dont get all gooshey, the only know what is instinct and what you condition them to think,act,behave.

Not true. But I have no desire to debate you on animal behavior.

MOhillbilly
06-13-2006, 03:14 PM
pavlovs dogs and genetics says diffrent.

but thats fine youre wrong most of the time.

ChiTown
06-13-2006, 03:20 PM
We've had Westies in our home for the last 18 years. Great dogs. They love kids, love to play, easy to house break, very obedient, loving animals, and most importantly....they make small poo poo's.

CosmicPal
06-13-2006, 03:24 PM
The kids would love a herding breed. i.e. an australian cattle dog like I have. They are very smart and loyal dogs- they'll pick up housetraining and tricks with ease. They love the outdoors and chasing/retrieving balls/frisbees, etc. They are great dogs.

HOWEVER- if you do get a herding breed, you must have a large fenced in yard, and you must give the dog plenty of exercise and playtime. If you fail to do this, you then have an unhappy dog. And this is the most important thing to remember- before picking out a dog, you MUST know what sort of temperment and behavior you expect out of the dog.

For instance- DO NOT get a herding breed if you're a couch potato. Likewise, don't get a mutt if you want to take it to the park and walk and play frisbee and all that. If you want a large dog, make sure you have room for it. You have to take all these things into consideration before picking out a dog- they are not ****ing items you can just pick off the shelf and then return them because you think they are defective. Think about what kind of dog you want and then research the various types of breeds that fit the temperment and behavior you are looking for.

Remember- if you get a puppy- you must commit to it for the next 15 years.

memyselfI
06-13-2006, 03:26 PM
We've had Westies in our home for the last 18 years. Great dogs. They love kids, love to play, easy to house break, very obedient, loving animals, and most importantly....they make small poo poo's.

Westies are indeed very nice dogs. Some can be yappy and hyper but that is true for many small dogs. They do require alot of grooming.

Carlota69
06-13-2006, 03:35 PM
I love Labs, however, i needed a small dog becasue of my home and my lack of time to go run with the dog all the time.

I chose a mini-dachshund, a weanie dog. I tell you what, I love that little dude so much. he is the sweetest, most loving, cuddly dog I have ever had. He loves to play and he burrows under the covers and is very animated, especailly when yawning. He doesn't shed alot, and is really smart. It didn't take forever to potty train him and he only chews up shoes if I leave them out for an extended period of time and he has no chew toys of his own out.

His name is Diggity and he is MY BOY.

I recommend lil' weanie dogs.

pr_capone
06-13-2006, 03:41 PM
I love Labs, however, i needed a small dog becasue of my home and my lack of time to go run with the dog all the time.

I chose a mini-dachshund, a weanie dog. I tell you what, I love that little dude so much. he is the sweetest, most loving, cuddly dog I have ever had. He loves to play and he burrows under the covers and is very animated, especailly when yawning. He doesn't shed alot, and is really smart. It didn't take forever to potty train him and he only chews up shoes if I leave them out for an extended period of time and he has no chew toys of his own out.

His name is Diggity and he is MY BOY.

I recommend lil' weanie dogs.

My wife got lucky with her long haired Dot... but that was a 1 in a million shot. I have had the mis-fortune to have several friends with Dots and I hated each and every one of them. Seems like you got lucky too.

For the most part, at least from my experience, they are yippy, whiney, and love to bite ankles.

Carlota69
06-13-2006, 03:47 PM
My wife got lucky with her long haired Dot... but that was a 1 in a million shot. I have had the mis-fortune to have several friends with Dots and I hated each and every one of them. Seems like you got lucky too.

For the most part, at least from my experience, they are yippy, whiney, and love to bite ankles.

Wow-that certainly is not the case with Diggity, and any other weaner dog i've come across. Whiny and yippey is not even close to the personality I've seen. Now they are hounds, so they do bark, but they aren't yippy like a Chiuauaua (sp?)

I will say Diggity doesn't like people on wheels, ie--people on skateboards, roller skates etc...I think it freaks him out.

JimNasium
06-13-2006, 03:47 PM
I've got a 10 week old bassett hound. She's been great with the kids but a little slow to learn the whole house training thang.

BIG_DADDY
06-13-2006, 03:49 PM
I recommend lil' weanie dogs. ROFL

IA_Chiefs_fan
06-13-2006, 03:50 PM
My wife thinks she wants a Puggle, which is a Beagle/Pug hybrid like this http://www.thepamperedpup.com/puppy/puggle_puppy.htm

BIG_DADDY
06-13-2006, 03:57 PM
If your going to get a dog you are going to have it for a long time so you might as well get a real one. Want something that isn't too big, get a female English Bully, they rule.

ChiTown
06-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Westies are indeed very nice dogs. Some can be yappy and hyper but that is true for many small dogs. They do require alot of grooming.

We've had great luck with our westies. None have been yappers, but we spend a lot of time and effort upfront with training.

Re: Grooming
We keep their hair pretty short, and probably take her to the groomers every 3 months. They do, however, need a bath about once every week or so. They are diggers (westies were originally bred to dig and flush out moles, woodchucks, etc), and tend to get pretty dirty when they are outside, especially with their white coat.

ChiefaRoo
06-13-2006, 04:01 PM
I work in a vet's office. We see many different types of dogs with many different types of people. Here are some breeds that you might consider:

#1 a pug. They are not the most beautiful dogs but they are the sweetest and most gentle creatures on the planet. They don't get very big, don't shed much, and are very smart. They are not big fetch and play dogs. They are more sit with you while you watch TV sort of dogs.

#2 a boxer. They are super smart, sweet, and very affectionate. They tend to be VERY wild puppies so with a small child you might not have much time to train but once it's past the puppy stage you will have a fantastic dog. They don't require much grooming.

#3 Retrievers. Either Labrador or Goldens make fantastic pets with children. Like a boxer they need alot of stimulation when they are puppies but once past that stage they are great pets. Bad thing about Goldens is they require grooming.

Since you are looking for a small dog you might consider the Pug. They don't get tall as much as they get wide...and what little kid wouldn't love this?

http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures-gallery/dog-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/pug-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/pictures/pug-0103.jpg

http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures-gallery/dog-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/pug-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/pictures/pug-0084.jpg

Dog's Thought Bubble ~~~~> "PLEASE KILL ME!" "For the love of God put one in my head and put me out of my misery"

"PS - I'm a Republican pooch in a house full of liberal Kooks"

ChiefaRoo
06-13-2006, 04:02 PM
http://www.labpups.com/lab-puppy-litters/REG-3-Inline-400-01.jpg

Golden Lab's are great

SquirrellyBastard
06-13-2006, 04:06 PM
My Personal Favorite.....the English Bulldog.

Mine did shed quite a bit though. Very loyal and friendly. They are perfect house dogs as they don't tolerate heat well at all. My female got to be about 50 lbs., but they are quite compact and still qualify as a "small" dog to me. They are certain cleaning rules that must be followed with "Flat-Faced" dogs like a bully or pug. It's easy to do though

I believe that Beagles shed minimally and don't get that "dog" odor as much as other breeds do. They are small, but not wimpy small like a poodle or something.

Chiefnj
06-13-2006, 04:07 PM
I'd recommend a goldfish for your family. Seriously.

You don't sound like much of a dog person and don't seem like you really want to be bothered with a dog. You're getting it for your kids which means your kids will love it for the first month and then YOU will be responsible for it - walking, petting, exercising, training, etc. Stick with some fish.

RockChalk
06-13-2006, 04:31 PM
I was reading some of the stories about the dogs on the petfinder.com website. These people that beat and abuse their dogs should be f***ing shot in the knees, then have rock salt poured on their wounds. The people that get a puppy then return the puppy because they buy a more desireable puppy should have the same thing happen, except have boiling water poured on them repeatedly as well.

memyselfI
06-13-2006, 04:34 PM
My wife thinks she wants a Puggle, which is a Beagle/Pug hybrid like this http://www.thepamperedpup.com/puppy/puggle_puppy.htm

Well at least it's part pug...

I think you might end up with a bipolar dog with the Pug and it's easy going demeanor and the Beagle with this neurotic demeanor.

As far as the mixing of purebreds to create these new and expensive designer breeds, didn't these dogs used to be called mutts? :hmmm:

BIG_DADDY
06-13-2006, 04:36 PM
My Personal Favorite.....the English Bulldog.

Mine did shed quite a bit though. Very loyal and friendly. They are perfect house dogs as they don't tolerate heat well at all. My female got to be about 50 lbs., but they are quite compact and still qualify as a "small" dog to me. They are certain cleaning rules that must be followed with "Flat-Faced" dogs like a bully or pug. It's easy to do though

I believe that Beagles shed minimally and don't get that "dog" odor as much as other breeds do. They are small, but not wimpy small like a poodle or something.

The darker you got he less they shed. White sheds the most. Naturally mine was all white. English bullies rock.

BIG_DADDY
06-13-2006, 04:37 PM
I'd recommend a goldfish for your family. Seriously.

You recommend a ****ing fish? ROFL

memyselfI
06-13-2006, 04:38 PM
We've had great luck with our westies. None have been yappers, but we spend a lot of time and effort upfront with training.

Re: Grooming
We keep their hair pretty short, and probably take her to the groomers every 3 months. They do, however, need a bath about once every week or so. They are diggers (westies were originally bred to dig and flush out moles, woodchucks, etc), and tend to get pretty dirty when they are outside, especially with their white coat.

Well that is key. If you are going to buy a dog with the intentions of NOT spending time to train and entertain it then you probably need to by a dog that enjoys spending time alone...good luck finding one. Dogs are social creatures by nature. Otherwise you will end up with destructive behavior and an anti-social demeanor. We see really nice dogs come in with owners who complain about the dogs and when questioned (gently) they admit they don't spend as much time as they should with the dog and that started when the dog was in the puppy stage...

FTR, I'm guilty as charged. But I learned.

memyselfI
06-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Dog's Thought Bubble ~~~~> "PLEASE KILL ME!" "For the love of God put one in my head and put me out of my misery"

"PS - I'm a Republican pooch in a house full of liberal Kooks"

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Give me a break...LOL. I was trying to pretty them up. They certainly have faces only an owner could love.

sedated
06-13-2006, 04:40 PM
I once successfully breeded a bulldog with a shitzu.

Called it a bullshit.

memyselfI
06-13-2006, 04:42 PM
I once successfully breeded a bulldog with a shitzu.

Called it a bullshit.

That would be funny if Shih Tzu was actually spelled Shitzu.

4th and Long
06-13-2006, 04:47 PM
That would be funny if Shih Tzu was actually spelled Shitzu.
Shih-Tzu.

Pronounced (she-zoo)

FAX
06-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Try finding a Pekingnese / Lhasa Apso mix, Mr. IA_Chiefs_fan.

You'll have a Peekasso and his pee papers might be worth millions.

FAX

4th and Long
06-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Pitt Bull. They are really great with kids.

Signed,
BIG DADDY

FAX
06-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Or, maybe a Terrier / Bulldog mix.

No, that would be Terribull.

FAX

FAX
06-13-2006, 04:50 PM
A really convenient dog would be a Collie + Lhasa Apso mix, Mr. IA_Chiefs_fan.

A Collapso can be transported easily.

FAX

BIG_DADDY
06-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Pitt Bull. They are really great with kids.

Signed,
BIG DADDY

They are and that would be a great choice for the right person but he doesn't sound like the right owner to me. English Bullies just want to sleep all the time. That would be perfect for him. They also have a great personality. Nothing like em.

ChiefsOne
06-13-2006, 05:03 PM
We have a Lab and a Boxer, both great dogs and completely different personalities. Our Lab is loyal and mild mannered, very smart. The Boxer is very smart and playful, but OCD. He is all white and deaf. My Vet friend said most white dogs are deaf or have partial hearing.

I would recommend either bred.

KUalum
06-13-2006, 05:12 PM
If I may make a comment, please adopt a dog. Even if you are looking for a purebred dog you can find one that is available for adoption.
I have done advertising work for the ASPCA and the stats are that over 6 million pets are destroyed every year in shelters because there is no one to adopt them.
I have 2 adopted dogs. A golden retriever and a mixed breed. They are wonderful. They came already potty trained (not perfectly, but had a good start) and I was able to "meet" them to get an idea of their personality before we committed to each other.
They will love you even more than you love them. Please consider adoption. - Thanks

4th and Long
06-13-2006, 05:16 PM
If I may make a comment, please adopt a dog. Even if you are looking for a purebred dog you can find one that is available for adoption.
I have done advertising work for the ASPCA and the stats are that over 6 million pets are destroyed every year in shelters because there is no one to adopt them.
I have 2 adopted dogs. A golden retriever and a mixed breed. They are wonderful. They came already potty trained (not perfectly, but had a good start) and I was able to "meet" them to get an idea of their personality before we committed to each other.
They will love you even more than you love them. Please consider adoption. - Thanks
http://www.topiclink.com/gameshows/images/bobbarker.jpg
You forgot the part about, "Don't forget to have your pets spayed or neutered."

Thank you Bob Barker. (Ironic his last name sounds like a dog noise, eh?)

BWillie
06-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Why don't you get a cat? They don't shit all over and act retarded. And it won't attack your kids.

ChiefaRoo
06-13-2006, 05:21 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL

Give me a break...LOL. I was trying to pretty them up. They certainly have faces only an owner could love.

Just having some from with you MMI :) Put the dogs on your avatar

CoMoChief
06-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Get a pitbull, they're great with children from what I hear.

BIG_DADDY
06-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Just having some from with you MMI :) Put the dogs on your avatar

And replace her own pic. I like this one of her better it's more fitting.

CoMoChief
06-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Why don't you get a cat? They don't shit all over and act retarded. And it won't attack your kids.

Cats are evil. All of them.

Raiderhader
06-13-2006, 05:24 PM
It's not what you are looking for because it is a big dog, but collies are great family dogs, protective of the kids and the home. A very smart breed of dog, but a little too big for an indoor animal.

BIG_DADDY
06-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Get a pitbull, they're great with children from what I hear.

They are great with kids but:

1. Not a good 1st dog.
2. Require lots of exercise.

And this guy really doesn't want a dog so he needs something low maitenance.

Tribal Warfare
06-13-2006, 05:31 PM
I always say a German Separd, because when I was three my dad's dog saved my life from a charging Chow Chow. From what I've been told Maggie (The Shepard) really f*cked that dog up. They're also exstremely intelligent, loving, and very protective. They are very aware of their surroundings often patroling the area to check that everything is kosher.

German Shepards would protect you're kids like nothing else.

ChiefaRoo
06-13-2006, 05:43 PM
And replace her own pic. I like this one of her better it's more fitting.

ROFL

memyselfI
06-13-2006, 07:11 PM
I always say a German Separd, because when I was three my dad's dog saved my life from a charging Chow Chow. From what I've been told Maggie (The Shepard) really f*cked that dog up. They're also exstremely intelligent, loving, and very protective. They are very aware of their surroundings often patroling the area to check that everything is kosher.

German Shepards would protect you're kids like nothing else.

German Shepards are very nice dogs. They get a bad rap because of their police work. People assume they are fierce or vicious. They are usually very sweet. They are big though. They also shed a great deal and need tons of exercise. It sounds like the poster wants something small.

I will say stay away from the following small dogs. Not because I don't like them but because they don't meet the stated criteria of non-barking and easy going:

Schnauzer (regular and mini)
Shih Tzu
Lhasa Apso
Maltese
Chihuahua
Beagle
poodle
Mini Pincher
Pomeranian

Psyko Tek
06-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Shepards are THE Best Dogs,
Had my last one for 13 years
she understood voice and hand commands, exellent house manners,and protective
great with kids

shed all over the place though, always ready to play catch

had to put her down last month, their hips go out

FAX
06-13-2006, 07:51 PM
I know that there are German dogs, Chinese dogs, Egyptian dogs, and English dogs, etc. but are there any Arab or Muslim dogs?

Anybody know?

FAX

ClearmontChief
06-13-2006, 07:55 PM
Hey IA. I'm somewhat biased, but I just love Sheltie Collies. Officially named Shetland Sheepdogs. Ours are sable and white in color and look like miniature Lassie collies. They're extremely smart, and very loyal and lovable and great with kids. We actually raise them, breed & sell them. (and have a litter that was just born 2 weeks ago!) From our last litter, a guy in Omaha bought one and took it to Colorado. They've taught it to ring a bell (by a rope) next to the door when it needs out to go to the bathroom. Pretty cool. He laughed that while they were training it, he woke up one night to ring-a-ding-a-ding-a-ring about 2:30 in the morning. I think that's smart, a puppy 'got it' really quick, and even knew in the middle of the night what to do.
Several years ago we had a male that would play ball (actually make it impossible for me to throw grounders to my son). He'd fetch, and return all day long if you wanted to. NEVER lost a ball in the grass either. Simply wonderful dogs and I can hook you up too.

I live in Iowa too, near Glenwood. So, I'm close.

Naming. I have a son named Casey. Thought it was cute to name our male dog "Casey's Chief."

BTW, my dad & brother have a kennel in NW Missouri too (Clearmont). They have Shelties, Boxers, Yorkies, Schnauzers, Beagles, and more. Feel free to contact me, PM, if you're interested.

keg in kc
06-13-2006, 08:26 PM
I totally didn't read that as "puppy".

Need to get my eyes checked. Maybe it's finally driving me blind.

stevieray
06-13-2006, 08:28 PM
I know that there are German dogs, Chinese dogs, Egyptian dogs, and English dogs, etc. but are there any Arab or Muslim dogs?

Anybody know?

FAX

border calis?

andoman
06-13-2006, 08:30 PM
We have a 2 year old female Pekapoo that we adore. Very smart dog. We just picked up a male 8 week old Silky Terrier Sunday. The Pekapoo is 10lbs now and I expect the Silky to be less than that full grown judging by his parents. I've heard that poodle mixes are very smart and best of all don't shed. I've got kids 7, 10 & 13 and have had no problems.

This is the Pekapoo at 3 months:

Chief Chief
06-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Chiefs-related dog names:

Roaf (especially if your dog barks alot)

Grigsby

Dawson (Len or Lake)

Grunny

Buck (double bonus: Chiefs, Royals, & Monarchs)

Hali

Tamba

Linn and/or Elliott (only if your dog, when peeing, lifts his leg wide left or wide right)

Chief Chief
06-13-2006, 09:13 PM
More Chiefs-related dog names:

Brody

Boomer

Dante

Turley (if you often step in your dog's deposits, insert a "d" in the middle of this name)

arrowhead20
06-13-2006, 10:47 PM
i would have to second the mini dachsund, my wife has 2 of them (1 male, 1 female), and they are very protective, super loving, and they dont need to be walked because they can run in the house and get all the exercise they need, very smart, and quite adorable, the short hairs dont shed at all, and are very easily potty trained,

of course there are some drawbacks to having them around kids, like they have awkwardly long spines and need to be picked up correctly or down the road it can spell back trouble for them, very fun to play w/ though. you cant wear them out, its like they have their own nuclear power plant inside.

Baconeater
06-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Hey IA. I'm somewhat biased, but I just love Sheltie Collies. Officially named Shetland Sheepdogs. Ours are sable and white in color and look like miniature Lassie collies. They're extremely smart, and very loyal and lovable and great with kids. We actually raise them, breed & sell them. (and have a litter that was just born 2 weeks ago!) From our last litter, a guy in Omaha bought one and took it to Colorado. They've taught it to ring a bell (by a rope) next to the door when it needs out to go to the bathroom. Pretty cool. He laughed that while they were training it, he woke up one night to ring-a-ding-a-ding-a-ring about 2:30 in the morning. I think that's smart, a puppy 'got it' really quick, and even knew in the middle of the night what to do.
Several years ago we had a male that would play ball (actually make it impossible for me to throw grounders to my son). He'd fetch, and return all day long if you wanted to. NEVER lost a ball in the grass either. Simply wonderful dogs and I can hook you up too.

I live in Iowa too, near Glenwood. So, I'm close.

Naming. I have a son named Casey. Thought it was cute to name our male dog "Casey's Chief."

BTW, my dad & brother have a kennel in NW Missouri too (Clearmont). They have Shelties, Boxers, Yorkies, Schnauzers, Beagles, and more. Feel free to contact me, PM, if you're interested.
You left out the part about them shedding like crazy twice a year. They are great dogs though, I had one when I was a kid.

melbar
06-13-2006, 11:22 PM
I love labs and lab mixes . we have a very smart Border collie mixed mutt right now.
I would highly recommend picking up the book "encyclopedia of the Dog" by Bruce Fogle. It has positive and negative aspects of every breed like temperment , shedding , indoor/outdoor, interaction with children , intelligence and trainability, etc. It also gives the history of each breed color pictures, and chapters on dog care training etc.
It could be fun to read it together and pick a top 5 or something to add to the excitement :) .

Infidel Goat
06-14-2006, 09:08 AM
My local animal shelter must have had over 100 dogs from which to choose. I had actually read the descriptions and looked at pictures of the dogs online before I visited the shelter. I left my home with a list of 6 or 7 dogs in which I was interested and quickly fell for the one at the top of my list.

I picked out a lab/pointer mix. Mix breed dogs frequently avoid some of the problems people encounter with purebreds (bad hips, etc.). Plus, many of them are free (or in my case a small donation to the Animal Shelter).

My criteria: relatively young, medium size, short hair, playful, and good with kids. You will need to work with most any dog for the first few months. Start with the basics: sit, stay, and come.

We picked out our dog shortly before Christmas. Today, we have a dog that is housebroken (for months) and who sleeps from 10 pm to 7 am without interrupting us.

Here's his photo from the Animal Shelter website:

http://wwww.petfinder.com/fotos/NC113/NC113.5437715-1-x.jpg

Good luck in your search. Dogs rule!

--Infidel Goat

ck_IN
06-14-2006, 09:17 AM
I have a border collie/Doberman mix that is just a sweetheart. The only danger she'd pose is if she licked you to death. She was a stray that a friend found and gave to us.

A really good source is petfinder.org. It's a website that links into various animal shelters around the country. You can search on size, gender, and location among other things.

Based on what you're saying I'd look for a beagle, sheltie, or schnauzer (sp?) or some mix thereof. A schnauz wouldn't shed but they're not as calm as beagles or shelties tend to be. Of course having had dogs all my life, based on what you're saying I don't know that you have the right attitude for dog ownership. They are 5 year olds their whole lives and they require that level of attention. You don't sound like you're really into having a dog so I don't know if it would be fair to the animal. Perhaps a hamster or gerbil would be a better starting point.

At any rate I wouldn't start you with a puppy. They chew, have accidents, etc and that's just part of puppydom. You should find one that's around 1 or 2 years old. Shelters have lots of those where the owner gave them up. You can often find one that's already house broken.

Bootlegged
06-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Golden Lab's are great

These are yellows... I like 'em better than goldens.

MOhillbilly
06-14-2006, 09:39 AM
how about one w/ feathers?

you pay shipping and ill send you one this fall.

oaklandhater
06-14-2006, 10:19 AM
Or, maybe a Terrier / Bulldog mix.

No, that would be Terribull.

FAX

they all ready exist bull terriers.

pr_capone
06-14-2006, 10:21 AM
they all ready exist bull terriers.
:)

He was making a joke there Mr. Hater. lol

ChiefButthurt
06-14-2006, 11:07 AM
We have had a few dogs the past 20 years. Two mixed breeds...terrier mixed; major pain in the ass, very independant. She thought she ran the house, dumber than a box of rocks. Another mixed beagle, good dog, very obedient. Labrador Retriever, while a very good dog around people, he could tear up some shit. Boy dog and he pissed and shit on everything. The best you ask? Get a Chihuahua, female dog and the best for the house. In our house we have a ten pound limit for dogs. She's fat and spoiled.

Chief Chief
06-15-2006, 06:18 PM
Two more Chiefs-related dog names:

Grrrrrrrrrbac (if your dog is mean)

Gannon (if your dog eats only the finest dog food)

Logical
06-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Frozen dead puppies make excellent house pets.

No potty training required

No foul odors

No shedding

They never jump up on anybody

They won't soil your carpets

No veterinary bill required

No license tags needed

I am telling you nothing says convenience like a frozen dead puppy.