PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger did not have a motorcycle license

chief52
06-13-2006, 03:21 PM
According to an ESPN report, he had a legal driver's license, but not one for a motorcycle. Not a smart move...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2482306

Updated: June 13, 2006, 3:20 PM ET
Report: Roethlisberger didn't have motorcycle licenseESPN.com news services

Ben Roethlisberger might have been riding without a license to drive a motorcycle when he was involved in an accident Monday.

Pittsburgh television station KDKA reported Tuesday that police are checking whether the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback had a license.

AP Photo/Keith Srakocic
Roethlisberger was riding this motorcycle when he collided with an automobile in Pittsburgh on Monday morning.
Sources told the TV station that Roethlisberger had a license to operate a car but has never had a Pennsylvania motorcycle license.

Roethlisberger had a learner's permit to operate a motorcycle that expired March 29 but had never taken the written and driving tests for a motorcycle license, a source told KDKA.

Pittsburgh police spokeswoman Tammy Ewin told the station that police would "have no comment on licensing issues" until after the accident investigation.

Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship, had surgery Monday after breaking his jaw and nose in a motorcycle crash.

Roethlisberger remained in serious but stable condition after seven hours of surgery, according to Dr. Daniel Pituch, chief of oral and maxillofacial surgery at Mercy Hospital.

"He suffered multiple facial fractures," Pituch said. "All of the fractures were successfully repaired. His brain, spine, chest and abdomen appear to be without serious injury. And there are no other confirmed injuries at this time."

The doctors declined to release further information at the family's request.

ESPN.com's John Clayton confirmed that Roethlisberger also suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, has lost or chipped a number of teeth and has minor injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement.

Roethlisberger, 24, was not wearing a helmet, police said. He has said he likes to ride without one, a habit that once prompted a lecture from Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher.

In May 2005, Cowher warned him about safe riding after Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was injured in a motorcycle accident. Winslow tore knee ligaments and was lost for the season.

Roethlisberger has pointed out a Pennsylvania state law requiring helmets was amended in September 2003 to make helmets optional.

ESPN.com football writers Len Pasquarelli and John Clayton and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

BucEyedPea
06-13-2006, 03:29 PM
Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship...

I HATE when news reports say was the youngest QB to lead a team to victory in a SB. They said that last night on FOX too. Ben did not LEAD his team in that game. He sukked in the SB and had the lowest QB rating of a team to win a SB. His rating was 20 something. Gimme a break!

ROFL :cuss:

memyselfI
06-13-2006, 03:30 PM
I feel bad for the guy and wish him a speedy and full recovery...

but what a moran. I mean, he lives and breathes by the protection his helmet provides him on the field and yet doesn't see the need for the same on the road. And now this???

It would be a shame if he lost his career due to his youthful indiscretion and feeling of invincibility.

Cochise
06-13-2006, 03:32 PM
I read somewhere that like half of people in m/c accidents don't have a license. Dunno if it's true or not.

Maybe he wasn't too expert of a rider or something.

JBucc
06-13-2006, 03:33 PM
Yeah but he always rides in groups and doesn't have a sport bike so it's cool:rolleyes:

Short Leash Hootie
06-13-2006, 03:33 PM
do you people honestly believe a helmet would've made THAT much of a difference? He friggin' flew face first into another vehichles windshield. Now, wearing a helmet is probably pretty smart...but I have a feeling he still would've been pretty ****ed up.

Kclee
06-13-2006, 03:35 PM
but what a moran.

Heh.

jidar
06-13-2006, 03:37 PM
do you people honestly believe a helmet would've made THAT much of a difference? He friggin' flew face first into another vehichles windshield. Now, wearing a helmet is probably pretty smart...but I have a feeling he still would've been pretty ****ed up.

given the nature of his injuries and the fact that he survived, I'd say yes a helmet would have made all the difference.

How is that not obvious?

BIG_DADDY
06-13-2006, 03:38 PM
but what a moran. . ROFL ROFL ROFL

pr_capone
:clap:

A broken jaw and a laceration is not going to keep him from plying football again.... his knees on the other hand are a completely different matter.

Cochise

Not having a broken jaw or smashed in bones all over his face?

BIG_DADDY
06-13-2006, 03:40 PM

ROFL I am not sure what makes me laugh more this statement or the fact the meme thinks he is a moran.

Short Leash Hootie
06-13-2006, 03:41 PM
given the nature of his injuries and the fact that he survived, I'd say yes a helmet would have made all the difference.

How is that not obvious?
well god damn I'm going to wear a helmet everywhere I go! As long as I have my helmet on I'll be INVISIBLE!

JBucc
06-13-2006, 03:42 PM
He's probably lucky he hit the windshield, at least it has some give. If he had hit a metal part he'd probably be dead or have severe brain damage.

jidar
06-13-2006, 03:43 PM
well god damn I'm going to wear a helmet everywhere I go! As long as I have my helmet on I'll be INVISIBLE!

what the **** are you talking about?

JBucc
:spock:ROFL

Short Leash Hootie
I'm too athletic to ever get injured. I don't need a helmet, my reaction times are too good. God I'm so amazing.

ChiefFan31
I feel bad for the poor bastard.

But, it was almost predicted. With the media making a big deal out of Ben wearing no helmet last year after the Winslow debacle, and with Cowher frowning on it in front of the media as well.

Whether Ben wants it or not, he is the new posterchild for this sort of thing. The NFL teams will be all about the clauses even moreso now.

I hope the cops drop the license BS

Short Leash Hootie
06-13-2006, 03:44 PM
HELMETS PREVENT ALL INJURIES!

ct
06-13-2006, 03:45 PM
DOH!

Short Leash Hootie
06-13-2006, 03:45 PM
No 62 year old woman can kill big ben!

BIG_DADDY
06-13-2006, 03:46 PM
With today's justice he will probably be liable for the whole wreck because he shouldn't have even been on the street without his motorcycle permit.

StcChief
06-13-2006, 03:50 PM
With today's justice he will probably be liable for the whole wreck because he shouldn't have even been on the street without his motorcycle permit.
Not like he can't afford it...

Another Hard lesson for Big Ben....

jidar
06-13-2006, 03:52 PM

are you ****ing retarded or something?

Imagine running into a brick wall face first at top speed. Probably gonna fk you up right? Missing teeth, broken facial bones, split head, etc.. etc
Now imagine doing the same with a helmet on. Knock you out, maybe a concusion, but you wouldn't be in 7 hours of surgery.

Dartgod
Moran is an acceptable spelling of moron in the Chiefsplanet lexicon. Much like genious is to genius.

Short Leash Hootie
Not like he can't afford it...

Another Hard lesson for Big Ben....
what was his first hard lesson?

Frazod
06-13-2006, 03:53 PM
I HATE when news reports say was the youngest QB to lead a team to victory in a SB. They said that last night on FOX too. Ben did not LEAD his team in that game. He sukked in the SB and had the lowest QB rating of a team to win a SB. His rating was 20 something. Gimme a break!

ROFL :cuss:

Uh, the refs led the $tealer$ to victory in the Super Bowl. Important distinction there.

Short Leash Hootie
06-13-2006, 03:53 PM
are you ****ing retarded or something?

Imagine running into a brick wall face first at top speed. Probably gonna fk you up right? Missing teeth, broken facial bones, split head, etc.. etc
Now imagine doing the same with a helmet on. Knock you out, maybe a concusion, but you wouldn't be in 7 hours of surgery.
FISH STICKS

ROYC75
06-13-2006, 03:54 PM

Good call, maybe I need to get a helmet for my little head, one can never be too safe , ya know sometimes sex can get rough.

StcChief
what was his first hard lesson?
Yesterday....Riding with his helmet.

BucEyedPea
Uh, the refs led the $tealer$ to victory in the Super Bowl. Important distinction there.

:thumb: Yep!

Short Leash Hootie
06-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Yesterday....Riding with his helmet.
he had a helmet on?

StcChief
06-13-2006, 03:56 PM
he had a helmet on?
my bAd WITHOUT a hemet.

tk13
06-13-2006, 03:56 PM
FISH STICKS
You know, if you were wearing a helmet when you were dropped on your head as a child, you wouldn't have this problem.

Short Leash Hootie
06-13-2006, 03:59 PM
You know, if you were wearing a helmet when you were dropped on your head as a child, you wouldn't have this problem.
I wasn't dropped on my head, guy!

Short Leash Hootie
06-13-2006, 04:00 PM
besides, I don't blame him...helmets are for friggin' fags.

Dartgod
06-13-2006, 04:01 PM
besides, I don't blame him...helmets are for friggin' Rump Rangers.
Heh...

Short Leash Hootie
06-13-2006, 04:05 PM
hey it's not my fault your parents made you wear a helmet as a kid. DON'T BLAME BEN FOR BEING A DOUCHE! IT WASN'T HIS FAULT.

memyselfI
06-13-2006, 04:31 PM
A couple of points regarding wearing a helmet...

a kid from my son's school was on his bike and ran into a car. His life was saved because he had his helmet on when thrown from his bike at an impact that likely was similiar to what Big Ben felt on a motorcycle.

Secondly, as far as safety devices helping to lessen injuries...

perhaps we should ask the woman driving the SUV that rolled six or seven times if she felt her minor facial cuts and bruised shoulder would have been worse without that seat belt.

4th and Long
06-13-2006, 04:33 PM
Motorcycle Helmets

Motorcycles are less stable and less visible than cars, and they have high performance capabilities. For these and other reasons, motorcycles are more likely than cars to be in crashes. And when motorcycles crash, their riders lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle, so they're more likely to be injured or killed.

Helmets decrease the severity of injury, the likelihood of death, and the overall cost of medical care. They're designed to cushion and protect riders' heads from the impact of a crash. Just like safety belts in cars, helmets can't provide total protection against head injury or death, but they do reduce the incidence of both. Motorcycle crash statistics show that helmets are about 29 percent effective in preventing crash fatalities. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates an unhelmeted rider is 40 percent more likely to suffer a fatal head injury and 15 percent more likely to incur a nonfatal head injury than a helmeted motorcyclist.

Facts

Head injury is the leading cause of death in motorcycle crashes. (U.S. Department of Transportation/National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, State Legislative Fact Sheet, 1999)

The Crash Outcome Data Evaluation System (CODES) study found that motorcycle helmets are 67 percent effective in preventing brain injuries and that unhelmeted motorcyclists involved in crashes were more than three times more likely to suffer injuries than whose wearing helmets. (NHTSA, Facts Motorcycle Safety Helmet Use, October, 1999)

Wearing a properly fitted helmet can actually improve the rider's ability to hear by streamlining the head and ear which can deduce wind noise allowing the rider to hear other sounds. (Safe Cycling-Motorcycle Safety Foundation Publication.)

Helmets prevent eye injuries and distraction from dust, dirt and debris thrown up by other vehicles on the road. (Safe Cycling-Motorcycle Safety Foundation Publication.)

Per vehicle mile, motorcyclists are about 26 times as likely as passenger car occupants to die in a traffic crash and about 5 times as likely to be injured. (NHTSA Traffic Safety Facts, 2002)
Hospital stays are longer for unhelmeted riders and the cost to taxpayers is significantly higher since many motorcyclists are uninsured. (Michigan Traffic Safety Information Council.)

In 1969, the year Michigan enacted a mandatory helmet law, there were 145 motorcycle fatalities, in 2003 there were 76 motorcycle fatalities. (Michigan Traffic Crash Facts)

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1589_1711_4587-13677--,00.html

BIG_DADDY
06-13-2006, 04:39 PM
A couple of points regarding wearing a helmet...

a kid from my son's school was on his bike and ran into a car. His life was saved because he had his helmet on when thrown from his bike at an impact that likely was similiar to what Big Ben felt on a motorcycle.

Secondly, as far as safety devices helping to lessen injuries...

perhaps we should ask the woman driving the SUV that rolled six or seven times if she felt her minor facial cuts and bruised shoulder would have been worse without that seat belt.

Do you put knee pads and lipstick on your boys too?

Cochise
06-13-2006, 04:42 PM

ROFL

jidar
06-13-2006, 04:47 PM

Nope, but your mom wears em when she sucks my cock. I guess her knees are going out

BIG_DADDY
06-13-2006, 04:56 PM
Nope, but your mom wears em when she sucks my cock. I guess her knees are going out

As meme would say, your a moran. ROFL

Besides I am sure most women want a meal, not a snack.

jidar
06-13-2006, 04:57 PM
As meme would say, your a moran. ROFL

Besides I am sure most women want a meal, not a snack.

lolol

she said size didn't matter. foiled again