PDA

View Full Version : Dayton Makes First Moves

BTAU
06-13-2006, 05:35 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14808417.htm

Royals GM Moore makes first move, hires top assistant
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

ANAHEIM, Calif. | - ANAHEIM, Calif. | New general manager Dayton Moore implemented his first major move in the Royals’ front office Tuesday morning by hiring Dean Taylor to serve as his top assistant in baseball operations.

Taylor, 54, assumes the role held formerly by Muzzy Jackson, whose duties were shifted to give greater priority to the major-league club. Taylor will handle much of the administrative work.

“Muzzy’s in-depth knowledge of our entire system makes him a perfect fit for this position,” Moore said. “I feel the combination of Muzzy and Dean’s 46 years of professional baseball experience will allow us to strengthen our baseball operations department for the future.”

Taylor becomes the club’s vice president and assistant general manager for baseball operations. Jackson’s new title is vice president and assistant general manager for player personnel.

Taylor comes to the Royals from Cincinnati, where he served as an assistant general manager since Dec. 22, 2003. He worked for the Royals in a series of front-office positions from 1981-89 and later served as Milwaukee’s general manager from 2000-02.

“It’s an honor to return to the Royals and have an opportunity to work closely with Dayton Moore,” said Taylor, who served alongside Moore in the Atlanta front office before going to Milwaukee.

“I believe ownership is committed to building a winning club, and there is no reason we cannot return the Royals to the status they enjoyed in the late ’70s and ’80s as one of the finest organizations in baseball.”

Jackson began his second tour with the Royals in 1999 and served in his previous role since Oct. 1, 2003.

Taylor joined the Royals in 1981 as an administrative assistant in the minor-league department and was promoted a year later to assistant director of scouting and player development.

He became an assistant general manager following the club’s World Series title in 1985 and remained in that position until leaving in 1990 to become manager of baseball operations in the Commissioner’s Office.

Taylor then rejoined ex-Royals general manager John Schuerholz for nine seasons in Atlanta before becoming the Brewers’ general manager.

To reach Bob Dutton, Royals reporter for The Star, call (816) 234-4352 or send email to bdutton@kcstar.com

Cochise
06-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Sounds like an experienced guy. He was here during the Royals' glory years, spent time in Atlanta.

Makes me wonder if Muzzy is retained short-term for his knowledge of the current system in a transitional role, or if this just amounts to a demotion but he'll be staying on.

Ari Chi3fs
06-13-2006, 05:54 PM
I doubt too many other teams are beating down Muzzy's door, so if the Royals give him a chance, take it sucka!

hawkchief
06-13-2006, 06:05 PM
If I did Moore's the math right, Dean Taylor has been involved in the major leagues since he was 8 years old. Come on, Dayton - let's keep the credibiliity in tact for more than one week!

nychief
06-13-2006, 06:06 PM
If I did Moore's the math right, Dean Taylor has been involved in the major leagues since he was 8 years old. Come on, Dayton - let's keep the credibiliity in tact for more than one week!

perhaps you want to read that ONE more time.