PDA

View Full Version : Q/A Herm Edwards 6/13/06

CoMoChief
06-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Q&A with HERM EDWARDS
Jun 13, 2006, 4:46:18 PM

Real Video - 300k

Q: Where does T Kyle Turley fit in?

edvidotaj13EDWARDS: Well obviously hes played both tackle positions and it gives us competition at the right tackle position which is always key. I think hes a guy whos been a good player in this league. Im glad we got things worked out. Hes a guy thats a very, very tough type of player and brings an attitude to your offensive line too.

Q: Is because of T John Welbourn not being here why you wanted to bring Turley in here?

EDWARDS: No, we had talked to him and he worked out for us about a month ago. He was on our radar screen and it was just a matter of us working a deal out and him coming to terms with this is where he wanted to be?

Q: Why is John Welbourn not here?

EDWARDS: Hes got a personal deal going on. He and T Willie Roaf both.

Q: What do you see out of Turley? He looks a lot different then a few years ago?

EDWARDS: Hes down in his weight, but thats ok. I dont think hes going to be over 300 pounds playing tackle, but I dont think he has to be. Hes a guy whos a good athlete and he has played a lot in this league and hes about 275 or 280 right now. Hes probably going to play around 290 or 285. By opening day hes going to be in pretty good shape and hell learn the offense. The good thing about him is hes played for offensive line coach John Matsko before, so thats a good thing. He knows who his coach is and he already knows a little bit of the system too, so thats good for us.

Q: Is Turley ready to go for the start of the season?

EDWARDS: Yeah, absolutely. Hes been cleared, he feels good. So hes ready to go.

Q: With his weight going back up in the 290s, will there be any concern about his back?

EDWARDS: No, and I just spoke with him and thats probably about where he wants to play. I just visited with him and he spoke with strength and conditioning coach Jeff Hurd and he said he wanted to get back up to that weight. One thing about him is that hes a veteran player and they know what their weight should be and what they can play at. So Im pretty sure hell feel good at 285 or 290, hell feel comfortable playing there.

Q: Regardless of weight are there any concerns about the extensive time Turley has taken off?

EDWARDS: If anything, hes well rested. For him as a lineman, its not like a skill-position player, hes got certain techniques and fundamentals thats hes going to have to work on and his conditioning will come, but we have a long time until September. So hes in a perfect spot right now. Hes come in and hes got a couple of OTAs left and then hell get ready to go to training camp.

Q: Did you feel that you needed a veteran back-up on the offensive side of the football?

EDWARDS: Yeah, I did. I just think that if you can get tackles, you cant get enough of them. Because if one of them gets hurt all of sudden you start scratching your head and its hard for a young guy to go in there and play right away. Hes a veteran guy, has a lot of experience, played both sides and hes excited about playing football again.

Q: I think when a lot of people think about Turley, they think of either a hot-head or a bad-attitude type player? Is that an accurate assessment?

EDWARDS: No, hes an emotional guy and its kind of funny because I was coach when he got into the incident with the helmet-throwing thing. That happened against the Jets. But hes a San Diego State guy so thats ok too. Hes an Aztec.

Q: Whats going on with your quarterback (Trent Green)? Why is he not throwing in teamwork?

EDWARDS: He threw in individual, but he might fully next week or maybe not. I dont think he needs to throw a whole lot of passes right now, hell be ok. Were just resting him. Last year, I heard he had a pretty good year so maybe two years of rest will keep that arm in good shape. Hes a guy that has a good feel for this offense and he knows where the ball is supposed to be. Its good that the other guys are playing because its very important that those guys play with the first group, too. If something should happen, they need to be in the huddle with the first group. Thats something I always stressed with Chad (Pennington) when I was in New York during our first year. He would always practice in the first group so he would be ready in case anything happened to Vinny (Testaverde) so hed feel comfortable getting in that huddle. I think for QB Damon Huard and the other guys, when they get to go in there with the first group its always good.

Q: I was talking with RB Larry Johnson and WR Eddie Kennison about your trash talking earlier out there. Do you trash talk?

EDWARDS: I would never do that (laughs). Yeah, Im a former player, a retired former player. Thats part of practice and youve got to get guys going. I like it and they give it back to me and I give it back to them. It keeps practice going and it keeps guys on edge a little bit, they know Im watching them. They know Im watching everything that happens on both sides of the ball and if they do something wrong I kind of mention it to them. It keeps you going and I was that type of player too when I played, so Im not going to change the way I coach.

Q: Is the defense making progress the way that you would like to see them?

EDWARDS: Yeah. We havent had pads on yet, but they are starting to understand what we are doing. The tempo by those guys is good. I always judge it by the defensive linemen. They are starting to get into shape. They are starting to understand that to win you need to run. Its very critical for our defense. You have to be able to run between the numbers, I always tell them that. Its important; youve got to be able to run between the numbers on run plays and on pass plays, you got to be able to run that way in the fact that youre only going to be allowed so many plays so we need full effort out of them. They set the defensive tempo for us. Theyre starting to understand that. Obviously the defense and the offensive line are at a disadvantage because there are not any pads on. When the pads come on, things will change a little bit. The momentum changes and the tempo changes a little bit. Sometimes guys are catching balls right now, but when they get into a game they might get hit in the face and might not catch that ball, but we cant do that out here right now. So youve got to look at it for what its worth, I think they are starting to understand what we want to do. The main thing to me right now about these guys is that they are starting to understand the tempo and in individual drills we are getting better, I see players getting better collectively as a group and thats a good thing.

Q: Did you guys finally get DT James Reed down?

EDWARDS: Yeah, he practiced. Its done.

Q: What were your roster moves?

EDWARDS: Basically we let FB Travis Wilson go. We had two bonus allocations over in NFL Europe that you can flip over and create roster spots and we did that.

the Talking Can
06-13-2006, 05:26 PM
cool....I'm very curious to see what Turley looks like on the field after 2 years off

thepascalblaze
06-13-2006, 05:45 PM
The bit about the backup QB's takin' snaps with the first team is a little weird. I hope Trent gets enough snaps in TC to be in a good rhythm by oppening day. I didn't follow the J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS! too closely,but, from what I saw, their passing game didn't blow me away too much, save flashes in that playoff run a few yrs. back, Penningtons good year... I dunno, Herm gets paid to do this, I guess I must have faith...

CoMoChief
06-13-2006, 05:52 PM
The bit about the backup QB's takin' snaps with the first team is a little weird. I hope Trent gets enough snaps in TC to be in a good rhythm by oppening day. I didn't follow the J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS! too closely,but, from what I saw, their passing game didn't blow me away too much, save flashes in that playoff run a few yrs. back, Penningtons good year... I dunno, Herm gets paid to do this, I guess I must have faith...

I dont see the problem with this. Trent knows this offense as well as Mike Solari knows it. Might as well rest Trent's arm until training camp, no need to throw a bunch now. Camp arm sucks.

Bootlegged
06-13-2006, 05:55 PM
It's like Aerosmith and Run DMC. LJ and Kyle Turley.

It's tricky to rock a rhyme...

rad
06-13-2006, 05:56 PM
I always judge it by the defensive linemen. They are starting to get into shape. They are starting to understand that to win you need to run.

Sound good to me. Or maybe that means Simms showed up without doughnut powder all over his lips.

thepascalblaze
06-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Yeah it's fine if this is for the OTA's. I wasn't clear that was the case. When he was talking about Testeverde and Pennington I was confused as to whether it was an OTA thing or a general philosophy. I'm for it if it's about moderation. Enough but not too much. AS an aside here, I always thought Camp arm was more a product of not throwing in the off season, and getting into throwing condition again. Like I said, Herms the pro... I'm really stoked about the potentials for the season, I'm no Herm hatin' naysayer...my football heart is scar-tissue tough, I'm a Chiefs lifer...

Bootlegged
06-13-2006, 06:27 PM
It's all about talent. D-line + secondary + ST = still need a serious upgrade to take us to a SB

ChiefsfaninPA
06-13-2006, 06:58 PM
At the very least, Turley gives us depth and he is a vet to boot.

FringeNC
06-13-2006, 07:16 PM
The way Turley was being talked up, it seems like he has a chance to beat out Welbourn. It sounded more than the "...he gives us depth..." usual statement when signing a back-up.

KC Jones
06-13-2006, 07:27 PM
The way Turley was being talked up, it seems like he has a chance to beat out Welbourn. It sounded more than the "...he gives us depth..." usual statement when signing a back-up.

It's not uncommon for a coach to talk up the guys that are right behind the first string as a way to motivate the 1st stringers.

stevieray
06-13-2006, 07:30 PM
cool....I'm very curious to see what Turley looks like on the field after 2 years off

me too...turley and allen..

should make for an intersting camp.

Mecca
06-13-2006, 11:23 PM

Then there was last year when Trent was said to have a sore arm in preseason from throwing to much......

htismaqe
06-14-2006, 09:29 AM
It's all about talent. D-line + secondary + ST = still need a serious upgrade to take us to a SB

It's not just about talent. It's also about desire and luck.

Sims has MOUNTAINS of talent. He's just lazy and injury-prone.