PDA

View Full Version : CHIEFS 2006 Season thoughts

chagrin
06-14-2006, 07:34 AM
Just curious

Sully
06-14-2006, 08:07 AM
It depends on if you support the players.

patteeu
06-14-2006, 08:14 AM
Just curious. I figure since whatever Vlad's real name is, continues to post his political garbage in the lounge, I'd come in here and see what you all think. I will post a thread in here for every one he posts in the Lounge - I don't care if it gets moved.

I don't think anyone will be bothered by this as most DC posters would be fine with having all topics in one forum again. Unfortunately, due to the limited userbase, a thread like this won't have nearly the traffic here that it would in the Lounge.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the season. If LJ and the offensive line can stay healthy, I like our chances. I loved the Vermeil/Saunders offense of the past few years, but I always thought that a little more ball control would have helped our defense out quite a bit. Now we should have the personell and the coaching mentality to make that happen. As long as the pendulum doesn't swing too far back, I'll be happy.

Radar Chief
06-14-2006, 08:57 AM
I don't think anyone will be bothered by this as most DC posters would be fine with having all topics in one forum again. Unfortunately, due to the limited userbase, a thread like this won't have nearly the traffic here that it would in the Lounge.

Yea, pretty much. The only reason I like the divided forums is just to reduce the amount of bitch’n from people that don’t think politics belongs in the Lounge.

On topic though, I like the Chiefs chances also, but I say that every year.
One problem I’ve had with Saunders is that he started each season think’n the Chiefs had the “fast break” offense of the Rams. Which simpley wasn’t the case. I remember last year when Roaf went down that I thought Saunders was try’n to kill Trent Green when he kept call’n in pass’n plays that involve 7-9, even 12, step drops without even a hint of try’n to disguise it with some play action. :shake:
Then typically after the first 6 or so games, Saunders would realize that with the offensive line and running backs the Chiefs have that they’re better suited to a power rushing attack and work play action passes off that.
It’s my hope that Solari will start the season with the realization that the Chiefs play on natural turf, have a superior offensive line for the rush’n attack, one of the best running backs the league has seen in a while and that he should therefore beat opposing d-lines with that attack ‘till they’re gun shy and work the play action from there.
IMO that if he does that, that the Chiefs offense can be even more deadly than with Saunders.
Defense, what can I say besides they need to improve? :shrug: We saw some improvement last year and they’ll have to continue to improve this year. But just like with the offense, with the change in coach’n staff, all this is up in the air.
Should be an interest’n season though, look’n forward to it. :thumb:

BucEyedPea
06-14-2006, 09:04 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmm...yeah but you guys have Herme as a coach. Jury's out for me! :p

Logical
06-14-2006, 09:57 AM
I sure have no problem with it. I still the Chiefs finishing around .500 or below. By the way bureaucrats as a subjects is not a political topic.:rolleyes:

vailpass
06-14-2006, 10:12 AM
I sure have no problem with it. I still the Chiefs finishing around .500 or below. By the way bureaucrats as a subjects is not a political topic.:rolleyes:

Cool, you are now using memyislamagunt's trademark "roll eyes" icon.
The assimilation is almost complete.
Have you had any urges to blow camels or plant IEDs lately?

htismaqe
06-14-2006, 10:41 AM
I checked out the thread in question, and it's not really DC material.

However, this thread is definitely football-oriented, so I'm moving it to the Lounge.

:D

Baby Lee
06-14-2006, 10:45 AM
I checked out the thread in question, and it's not really DC material.

However, this thread is definitely football-oriented, so I'm moving it to the Lounge.

:D
Just think Weezie, we'll never have to see Archie's ugly mug again!!!

"Well we're movin on uuuuppp!!!"

Nzoner
06-14-2006, 10:51 AM
My first thought of the 2006 season is how it's going to feel missing my first home opener in 13 years.I love the tailgating and the gameday experience but made the decision to sit this year out.

Other than that my thoughts are like any other season,I'm looking for all the reasons to believe that finally this is the year and I'm giddy with anticipation of getting it underway.

Lastly,my one negative thought is the loss of T-Rich,I still think this is going to bite us in the ass but we'll see.

banyon
06-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Just curious. I figure since whatever Vlad's real name is, continues to post his political garbage in the lounge, I'd come in here and see what you all think. I will post a thread in here for every one he posts in the Lounge - I don't care if it gets moved.

Fine with me.

I'm hoping for 11 wins, but injuries to the O-Line (esp Roaf or Waters) would drop us to 8 pretty easily. Our schedule should be easier than the murderer's row we faced last year, plus Sandy Eggo should go in the toilet without Brees.

LJ will be a pro-bowler hopefully, but I'm gonna cuss everytime we fail at the goal line because we would give T-Rich a few extra bucks. That still makes me mad :mad: .

Most interesting position battles to watch should be DE opposite Allen, CB opposite Surtain, and #2-3 WR.

Logical
06-14-2006, 12:04 PM

My real name is Jim, it is in my profile.

Rain Man
06-14-2006, 12:06 PM
My real name is Jim, it is in my profile.

Huh. You actually look more like a Vlad.

patteeu
06-14-2006, 01:03 PM
Only two things are certain about this season.

1) Before it is over, ChiefsPlanet will be loaded with posts blaming Carl Peterson for whatever goes wrong.

2) Before it begins, Vlad/Logical will be predicting doom, gloom, and failure.

:p

CoMoChief
06-14-2006, 01:21 PM
I dont think our offense will be as good. Our pass protection will be great this season providing everyone stays healthy. LJ will have a huge year with the running game. Our passing offense will drop not only because well run the ball more, but because Solari isnt Saunders, I think this is where many Chiefs fans will miss Saunders. People here complained about WR screens and trick plays, but AS constructed a VERY balanced offense to keep defenses on their heels, and allowed Trent Green to throw for more than 4000 yards in the last 3 seasons. Im eager to see what Webb and Thorpe can do. If Turley can come back to his old Probowl self, then Trent Green is gonna be protected better than ever before. I think this is gonna be a little different than Marty ball like in the past because We actually have a RB whos worth a shit, in fact he's the best in the NFL. Hopefully Priest can come back to play to give LJ a rest or few. Priest healthy is still a top 10 back, which should be scary to opponents. Tony G will have a better season because he wont have to block for 3 straight games. Im optimistic to see what Solari has in plan for the passing game.

I do think the defense will be better, much better in fact. No more DV favorites playing when they shouldnt be playing like McBurnon, Hicks, to name a couple. Bell needs to get better, hopefully he will. I think Gunther will do to Bell what he did with Kawika last season, hopefully Im not proven wrong. Fox adds good depth as well if he can stay healthy. Our Dline should be better. I still think Sims is our best DT, but he cant ever stay healthy, hopefully this season he does because hes in a contract year. James Reed is a nice pickup, much better than the DT's we have aside of Sims. I'm eager to see what Hali can do, I didnt personally see him play much in college, but I hear he has a high motor, so I guess I will havta see what thats gonna do at a higher level. Hopefully he isnt one of those 1 good senior season players that cant play in the NFL. I think Krumrie will make Jared Allen even better. I remember the annual wrestling matches he has with his players, and I think former MU's Justin Smith is the only player to actually win the battle against him. Anyways this Dline has to get better because if not the cover 2 will not work and we will get beat deep and offenses will find the creases in the zone coverage. It will be nice to have a HC that actually gives a shit about defense in a football game.

Thus I believe we will be more of a balanced football team. This is based on players being healthy and whether people like it or not, someone will get injured this season, its all part of the game. Lets just hope its not a certain select few. I will not mention names.

Moooo
06-14-2006, 01:23 PM
I dont think our offense will be as good. Our pass protection will be great this season providing everyone stays healthy. LJ will have a huge year with the running game. Our passing offense will drop not only because well run the ball more, but because Solari isnt Saunders, I think this is where many Chiefs fans will miss Saunders. People here complained about WR screens and trick plays, but AS constructed a VERY balanced offense to keep defenses on their heels, and allowed Trent Green to throw for more than 4000 yards in the last 3 seasons. Im eager to see what Webb and Thorpe can do. If Turley can come back to his old Probowl self, then Trent Green is gonna be protected better than ever before. I think this is gonna be a little different than Marty ball like in the past because We actually have a RB whos worth a shit, in fact he's the best in the NFL. Hopefully Priest can come back to play to give LJ a rest or few. Priest healthy is still a top 10 back, which should be scary to opponents. Tony G will have a better season because he wont have to block for 3 straight games. Im optimistic to see what Solari has in plan for the passing game.

Marty ball + good RB = Marcus Allen.

If I remember right we did really well those years... :)

Maybe with another coach we can get another playoff attitude...

Moooo

HC_Chief
06-14-2006, 01:28 PM
The offense will continue to churn out tons of yards, and will score more points than last season. Tony Gonzalez and Larry Johnson will have HUGE years, statistically. Trent Green will continue to be the most consistently productive QB, but will still go overlooked. The OL will dominate; they will have a blast helping LJ eclipse the 2000yd mark.

The defense will remain in the lower third of the league. The DEs, Hall and Allen, will provide consistent pressure. Teams will realize by week four that KC's D can only pressure from the outside, so we'll get creamed by delays, screens, and simple runs right up the gut. The DTs will continue to suck. The LBs will play well, but take heat for the weak defensive middle (even though it won't be their fault that they're tackling runners five yards past the los because the ball carrier had 4 yards of daylight). The secondary will get torched for a huge TD pass at least once per game.

KC will manage an 11-5 record, then lose in he first round of the playoffs due to shitty defense. :grr:

milkman
06-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Marty ball + good RB = Marcus Allen.

If I remember right we did really well those years... :)

Maybe with another coach we can get better playoff attitude...

Moooo

FYP

CupidStunt
06-14-2006, 01:46 PM
10-6 (ish)... tough to say about the playoffs. "We're the Chiefs", but at least Herm has won a game or two the last few years when it mattered.

We're definitely more talented than any of those NY teams imo.

InChiefsHell
06-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Well, it's the dawn of a new season, so of course we will be going to the SUperBowl!! (I say that every damn season...)

Seriously, I don't see much change out of our offense, and I believe that Herm will motivate the D. Gun and the other coaches are real firebrands and with the full support of their head coach, I think there will be a different attitute from our boys on D and they will be up for every game.

Personnel wise, I keep (foolishly) hoping that Sims will step up. Maybe he will. I'm pretty excited about Tamba + Allen = QB Sandwich. All we need is that push up the middle and we are golden. If that happens, barring injury, we are at least playoff bound.

philfree
06-14-2006, 09:52 PM
I'm starting to get excited about the 2006 season. We haven't landed a big time FA but we have landed a handfull of them and together I think their contibution to the team will be greater then the sum of the parts. We've added two blue collar DTs to the roster and they fit the KC Cover 2. We added a CB from is familiar with the secondary coach and who played well under him with the Donks. New coaching combined with these guys are gonna help turn the D around. I've been saying that for a few years LOL but I think I'm finally gonna be right this year. As far as our O is concerned we'll be tops in the league. If Turly works out we'll have the best and deepest O-line in the league. With LJ, Trent, Gonzo and Kennison as the weapons behind that line we'll be way to experienced for opposing Ds to handle. I think this team will be better then any of the teams DV fielded. DV still gets alot of credit for this years team though because he layed the foundation for it. Herm has a pretty sweet situation in KC.

PhilFree:arrow:

Coogs
06-14-2006, 10:13 PM
I'm getting pumped about the season. The main concern for me was the defense. But now that it is clear that Gun is no longer in charge of the defense, I feel we have a chance.

Just my $.02!

Rausch
06-14-2006, 11:34 PM
I think there's going to be a huge gap between 2nd and 3rd in the division. I don't expect either the Faiders or Chargers to top 6 wins and I don't see the Chiefs or Denver doing worse than 10 wins.

If we can stay healty we should be 11-5 or better...

greg63
06-14-2006, 11:43 PM
I think there's going to be a huge gap between 2nd and 3rd in the division. I don't expect either the Faiders or Chargers to top 6 wins and I don't see the Chiefs or Denver doing worse than 10 wins.

If we can stay healty we should be 11-5 or better...

...Sounds good to me; going deep into the play-offs would be good.

Guru
06-14-2006, 11:50 PM
...Sounds good to me; going deep into the play-offs would be good.

Good? That would be outstanding. :rolleyes:

Rausch
06-14-2006, 11:52 PM
Good? That would be outstanding. :rolleyes:

Nein.

Going 13-3, beating both the Donks and the Colts in the playoffs and THEN making the super bowl.

Now that would be out-****ing-standing! :)

greg63
06-15-2006, 12:06 AM
Nein.

Going 13-3, beating both the Donks and the Colts in the playoffs and THEN making the super bowl.

I'll take it. :D

Guru
06-15-2006, 12:08 AM
Nein.

anything putting the Chiefs in the superbowl is outstanding. Winning it would be out-****ing-standing!

Demonpenz
06-15-2006, 12:10 AM
this is the year Trent green's age catches up to him and he gets hurt. The chiefs with horrible draft picks in recent years and aging players limp to an 8-8 season

J Diddy
06-15-2006, 12:13 AM
this is the year Trent green's age catches up to him and he gets hurt. The chiefs with horrible draft picks in recent years and aging players limp to an 8-8 season

YOU

you go to hell and you die

Rausch
06-15-2006, 12:29 AM
YOU

you go to hell and you die

He needs his ass kicked...

Discuss Thrower
06-15-2006, 01:38 AM
Throw-away pre-season outlook:

Preseason 1-3
@ Houston - Win by a FG; fans are shocked by how close the backup Texans are able compete.
@ NY Giants - Blowout loss; 1/3 of the key starters are benched because of injury
St. Louis - Kansas City loses the Governor's Cup; 75% increase in Missourians who count themselves as Rams' Fans.
New Orleans - Again, key players do not suit up, and KC loses the preseason just like every year.

Regular Season
Cincinnati - Win by a FG, one or two CRUCIAL players are injured, and thus weaken the team as a whole. However, the defense is good enough to keep Carson Palmer shaken (but not stirred) and the offense manages to keep more points on the board than the Bengals can muster. Larry Tynes hailed as hero for actually making a FG when it counts.

@ Denver - My-my-my, the NFL loves Kansas City doesn't it? Same injured players, different results. Denver wins by a TD; Donko fans spam the board as if news had been broken that Elway was cloned years ago and has now reached playing age.

BYE WEEK, Chiefs sit at 1-1, players get healthy.

San Francisco - Win by a TD. Offense has a few quirks, like when (insert name of any receiver other than Tony or Eddie) has several dropped passes when they were in the clear to torch the 49er secondary for a touchdown.

@ Arizona - The plethora of Cardinal receivers and Edgerrin James presents the Chiefs with a headache, but the defense holds enough and the offense produces ample points; errors are still apparent in the passing game. Chiefs win by at least a FG.

@ Pittsburgh - You can't win them all. The Pittsburgh defense is able to lockdown LJ and the receivers cannot produce. Loss by a FG.

San Diego - Ironically, the defense wins for the Chiefs here. The offense, still shaken from the previous three weeks of mishaps canot get a rhythm, but the defense/Arrowhead Stadium is able to get to Philip Rivers, Antonio Gates is a non-factor, and LT has only a few good runs against the D. Win by a FG.

[Chiefs season now at 4-2]

Seattle - Shaun Alexander has a huge game against Kansas City, but the Defense keeps him and the Seahawks out of the endzone. Both teams play tough in the ultimate bend-but-do-not-break showdown. KC by a FG.

@ St. Louis - (wait-a-minute, who did the scheduling?) Rams offense is not productive, but the Chiefs are able to get back to their groove. Kansas City by a TD and change.

@ Miami - What a difference a year makes. Nick Saban and the Dolphins have made vast improvements, and are on their push for the AFC East Title. Miami by a FG.

Oakland - The Raiduhs and Aaron Brooks come to down, only to get BEATdown. Kansas City by a TD, but the score isn't that close.

Denver - Turkey Day Game, gobble gobble. I do not KC has a history of winning these games, but now is good as any to start. My WILDASS prophecy this year, is that Shanarat is gonna get ansty and bench Jake "Roadrage" Plummer in favor of Jay Cutler, who played remarkably well agains the Chargers in the previous week. Arrowhead and the Chiefs Defense do not take kindly to new QBs, and blast the hell out him. LJ has a 150+yd game, and Tony finds his way to 2 TDs. CHIEFS by two TDs. [If Cutler isn't playing, Chiefs win anyway, regardless of score]

[Chiefs are riding high at 8-3, and depending on Denver, are the leaders of the AFC West.]

@ Cleveland - "Romeo, O Romeo, wherefore art thou winning ways, thy Romeo?" The Belichik coaching tree will come to a glorious fruition in the coming year, but not this year for the woeful Browns. They manage to get 8-8, but don't include KC in that win total. The Chiefs win by a TD.

Baltimore - McNair will be hurt. Chiefs win regardless of he plays injured or benched.

@ San Diego - The Offense doesn't hold back, and the defense is able to contain the QB that Marty attains before the trading deadline. Chiefs win by FG.

@ Oakland - My, what a good gift a playoff berth would be. Chiefs win, clinching either Div. Title or at the least a WC spot. Either way, Chiefs win.

Jacksonville - I'm gonna be honest: my predictions may be off. Which means, this game could EITHER by icing on the cake in terms of what seed the AFC West Champion Chiefs receive, OR if they get a playoff seeding AT ALL. If they have the AFC West locked-up, Herm will PROBABLY have them gunning for the highest seeding they need. If not, then this will be a grudge match struggle for possibly the last playoff berth open.

Final Season, 12-4. For the sake of reason, the Seahawks game could honestly go either way, so 11-5 is reasonable as well.

alanm
06-15-2006, 01:40 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmm...yeah but you guys have Herme as a coach. Jury's out for me! :p
You're a Tampa fan aren't you? How the hell did you end up here? Other than to spar over in DC that is. :)

alanm
06-15-2006, 01:55 AM
Cool, you are now using memyislamagunt's trademark "roll eyes" icon.
The assimilation is almost complete.
Have you had any urges to blow camels or plant IEDs lately?
Nice Borg reference. ROFL

J Diddy
06-15-2006, 01:55 AM
Throw-away pre-season outlook:

Preseason 1-3
@ Houston - Win by a FG; fans are shocked by how close the backup Texans are able compete.
@ NY Giants - Blowout loss; 1/3 of the key starters are benched because of injury
St. Louis - Kansas City loses the Governor's Cup; 75% increase in Missourians who count themselves as Rams' Fans.
New Orleans - Again, key players do not suit up, and KC loses the preseason just like every year.

Regular Season
Cincinnati - Win by a FG, one or two CRUCIAL players are injured, and thus weaken the team as a whole. However, the defense is good enough to keep Carson Palmer shaken (but not stirred) and the offense manages to keep more points on the board than the Bengals can muster. Larry Tynes hailed as hero for actually making a FG when it counts.

@ Denver - My-my-my, the NFL loves Kansas City doesn't it? Same injured players, different results. Denver wins by a TD; Donko fans spam the board as if news had been broken that Elway was cloned years ago and has now reached playing age.

BYE WEEK, Chiefs sit at 1-1, players get healthy.

San Francisco - Win by a TD. Offense has a few quirks, like when (insert name of any receiver other than Tony or Eddie) has several dropped passes when they were in the clear to torch the 49er secondary for a touchdown.

@ Arizona - The plethora of Cardinal receivers and Edgerrin James presents the Chiefs with a headache, but the defense holds enough and the offense produces ample points; errors are still apparent in the passing game. Chiefs win by at least a FG.

@ Pittsburgh - You can't win them all. The Pittsburgh defense is able to lockdown LJ and the receivers cannot produce. Loss by a FG.

San Diego - Ironically, the defense wins for the Chiefs here. The offense, still shaken from the previous three weeks of mishaps canot get a rhythm, but the defense/Arrowhead Stadium is able to get to Philip Rivers, Antonio Gates is a non-factor, and LT has only a few good runs against the D. Win by a FG.

[Chiefs season now at 4-2]

Seattle - Shaun Alexander has a huge game against Kansas City, but the Defense keeps him and the Seahawks out of the endzone. Both teams play tough in the ultimate bend-but-do-not-break showdown. KC by a FG.

@ St. Louis - (wait-a-minute, who did the scheduling?) Rams offense is not productive, but the Chiefs are able to get back to their groove. Kansas City by a TD and change.

@ Miami - What a difference a year makes. Nick Saban and the Dolphins have made vast improvements, and are on their push for the AFC East Title. Miami by a FG.

Oakland - The Raiduhs and Aaron Brooks come to down, only to get BEATdown. Kansas City by a TD, but the score isn't that close.

Denver - Turkey Day Game, gobble gobble. I do not KC has a history of winning these games, but now is good as any to start. My WILDASS prophecy this year, is that Shanarat is gonna get ansty and bench Jake "Roadrage" Plummer in favor of Jay Cutler, who played remarkably well agains the Chargers in the previous week. Arrowhead and the Chiefs Defense do not take kindly to new QBs, and blast the hell out him. LJ has a 150+yd game, and Tony finds his way to 2 TDs. CHIEFS by two TDs. [If Cutler isn't playing, Chiefs win anyway, regardless of score]

[Chiefs are riding high at 8-3, and depending on Denver, are the leaders of the AFC West.]

@ Cleveland - "Romeo, O Romeo, wherefore art thou winning ways, thy Romeo?" The Belichik coaching tree will come to a glorious fruition in the coming year, but not this year for the woeful Browns. They manage to get 8-8, but don't include KC in that win total. The Chiefs win by a TD.

Baltimore - McNair will be hurt. Chiefs win regardless of he plays injured or benched.

@ San Diego - The Offense doesn't hold back, and the defense is able to contain the QB that Marty attains before the trading deadline. Chiefs win by FG.

@ Oakland - My, what a good gift a playoff berth would be. Chiefs win, clinching either Div. Title or at the least a WC spot. Either way, Chiefs win.

Jacksonville - I'm gonna be honest: my predictions may be off. Which means, this game could EITHER by icing on the cake in terms of what seed the AFC West Champion Chiefs receive, OR if they get a playoff seeding AT ALL. If they have the AFC West locked-up, Herm will PROBABLY have them gunning for the highest seeding they need. If not, then this will be a grudge match struggle for possibly the last playoff berth open.

Final Season, 12-4. For the sake of reason, the Seahawks game could honestly go either way, so 11-5 is reasonable as well.

where the hell is this jtown that you come from

good post

alanm
06-15-2006, 02:10 AM
10-6 (ish)... tough to say about the playoffs. "We're the Chiefs", but at least Herm has won a game or two the last few years when it mattered.

We're definitely more talented than any of those NY teams imo.
The one thing you Can't say about the Chiefs is that their not consistant. Their maddingly consistant. .500 consistant. They epitomize average. Never very bad or great. Usually just better than average. :(
It's gotta be insane being a Raiders fan for instance. They either go to SB's or they suck. We can't ever do either. :banghead:

Rausch
06-15-2006, 03:15 AM
Nice Borg reference. ROFL

You STFU!

Teh Trek is Kommunizt!

Discuss Thrower
06-15-2006, 02:30 PM
where the hell is this jtown that you come from

It takes me 30 minutes to drive to the paragon of football virtue, W.C Cardinals Stadium. Is that a good point of reference?

sd4chiefs
06-15-2006, 03:27 PM

I was going to post the same thing but now I don't have to and everyone will not hate me for it.

chiefsfan1963
06-15-2006, 03:43 PM
DV/AS left a solid 10-6 team for Herm to continue to improve. I expect no worst than a 11-5 team in 2006 and a minimum of one playoff win.
Obviously key injuries could change their record and ultimate outcome, but I'm optimistic about the 2006 season!