PDA

View Full Version : In the long term, do you fear Philip Rivers?

Rain Man
06-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Lost in the whole Eliway Manning fiasco is the fact that Rivers was a top-five draft pick.

For the purposes of this poll, set aside his learning curve as a new starter, and think about the next decade or more. In the long term, do you think he's going to be a huge nemesis to the Chiefs? Or is he just another Akili Smith with a more normal first name?

Dave Lane
06-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Who knows Cryan Leaf was a 2nd pick overall for the Chargers...

Dave

rad
06-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Sandy Eggo will Philip Rivers with thier tears after their latest bust....

jspchief
06-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Exhibit A: Marty Schottenheimer
Exhibit B: His jacked up throwing motion

No, I'm not particularly concerned that he'll ever amount to much.

milkman
06-14-2006, 11:20 AM
Exhibit A: Marty Schottenheimer
Exhibit B: His jacked up throwing motion

No, I'm not particularly concerned that he'll ever amount to much.

I really don't think Marty is that detrimental to his development, but I agree about his mechanics.

Unless he gets his mechanics fixed, or he gets an O-Line in front of him that can give him maximum protection consistently, I fully expect him to be a rather mediocre QB.

ct
06-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Neutral, he should NOT have been a top5 pick.

htismaqe
06-14-2006, 11:23 AM
His mechanics are going to be a problem. I expect to see him get injured early...

Mr. Laz
06-14-2006, 11:24 AM
marty has never met a young QB he couldn't destroy. :D

CoMoChief
06-14-2006, 11:29 AM
If LT and Gates are there, Rivers will be okay.

milkman
06-14-2006, 11:29 AM
marty has never met a young QB he couldn't destroy. :D

I am, as should be well known, a huge Marty basher, but I think Marty is wrongfully blamed for QB failures.

The problem may well be that those guys were never what some hoped for.

He (Marty) was the HC in Cleveland when Bernie Kosar was starting out, and he did OK.

And I thought Brees performed at a higher level than I ever expected he could.

The reality, IMO, is that we just drafted bums.

JBucc
06-14-2006, 11:32 AM
I just don't like him for some reason. He just doesn't seem like he's going to be anything special. Just a feeling I guess.

CoMoChief
06-14-2006, 11:33 AM
I am, as should be well known, a huge Marty basher, but I think Marty is wrongfully blamed for QB failures.

He (Marty) was the HC in Cleveland when Bernie Kosar was starting out, and he did OK.

That and our lack of a good OC during his years as HC.

ck_IN
06-14-2006, 11:39 AM
I think he'll haunt us for years to come.

His mechanics are odd but nobody ever accused Kosar or Sonny Jeurgeson of being poster boys for mechanics. Farve isn't either. Those guys turned out ok.

His arm isn't the question. The question is his head. Can he read defenses? Can he adjust to blitzes? He had a stellar record at NC which is more the Smith had. He's much more mature then Leaf still is.

I think he and Cutler will be the AFC west triggermen for the next decade.

StcChief
06-14-2006, 11:44 AM
I think he'll haunt us for years to come.

His mechanics are odd but nobody ever accused Kosar or Sonny Jeurgeson of being poster boys for mechanics. Farve isn't either. Those guys turned out ok.

His arm isn't the question. The question is his head. Can he read defenses? Can he adjust to blitzes? He had a stellar record at NC which is more the Smith had. He's much more mature then Leaf still is.

so Croyle or Printers aren't gonna be anything

Chiefnj
06-14-2006, 11:44 AM
As long as he faces KC twice a year he'll put up good numbers. Didn't his 105 QB rating from 2 years ago come from playing in the 4th quarter against the Chiefs?

He should be a good QB. He had a good arm and good accuracy in college. He's got a great HB and TE to help carry him plus a young aggressive D. I think people make too much out of mechanics in his case.

The biggest problem in SD is the lack of a consistent long term plan. If they want some success the GM and Marty are going to have to get on the same page. If Rivers and the Chargers struggle this year Marty will be the scapegoat even though he wanted Brees.

Chiefnj
06-14-2006, 11:45 AM
so Croyle or Printers aren't gonna be anything

If you were given the choice of Cutler, Rivers, Croyle or Printers who would you choose?

jspchief
06-14-2006, 11:49 AM
If you were given the choice of Cutler, Rivers, Croyle or Printers who would you choose?It would be between Croyle and Cutler, and I'd probably still lean towards Croyle even with his injury history.

And before you call me a homer, I was pimping Croyle long before most people knew who the hell Jay Cutler was.

Fish
06-14-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm more worried about ovarian cancer or getting hit by a runaway zamboni than I am about Phllipin Rivers....

milkman
06-14-2006, 11:53 AM

As bad as Kosar and Jurgonson's mechanics were, Phillips makes them look like Marino, by comparison.

I'm not even sure how Favre fits into this comparison.

htismaqe
06-14-2006, 01:19 PM
As bad as Kosar and Jurgonson's mechanics were, Phillips makes them look like Marino, by comparison.

I'm not even sure how Favre fits into this comparison.

The issue with Rivers' mechanics is actually that his particular delivery, in the opinion of several draftniks, presents a greater-than-normal risk for shoulder/arm injuries...

htismaqe
06-14-2006, 01:19 PM
It would be between Croyle and Cutler, and I'd probably still lean towards Croyle even with his injury history.

And before you call me a homer, I was pimping Croyle long before most people knew who the hell Jay Cutler was.

Same here.

htismaqe
06-14-2006, 01:20 PM

Brees really didn't perform at THAT high of a level. He was on a very short leash.

the Talking Can
06-14-2006, 01:48 PM
in the long term, I am more afraid of polar bears invading...

cdcox
06-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Only 1 in 4 first round QBs ever become franchise QBs. Could happen, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Tribal Warfare
06-14-2006, 02:19 PM

What!!!!!!! No mention of Croyle or Printers????? sacrilege I say, sacrilege!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cuss::cuss::cuss:

milkman
06-14-2006, 03:16 PM
Brees really didn't perform at THAT high of a level. He was on a very short leash.

Regardless of the leash, I never expected him to do anything, nada, jack.

I fully expected him to be the next Jim Druckenmiller.

So anything he did beyond nothing is a much higher level than I expected.

milkman
06-14-2006, 03:19 PM
The issue with Rivers' mechanics is actually that his particular delivery, in the opinion of several draftniks, presents a greater-than-normal risk for shoulder/arm injuries...

I've said this before, watching Rivers in the preseason last year.

With his delivery, I felt like I could run to the fridge, grab a beer and fix a sandwich, all before he finishes his release.

His mechanics are the worst I've seen.
His release is the slowest, by far, I've seen.

NJ Chief Fan
06-14-2006, 03:24 PM
hell have an up and down career

FAX
06-14-2006, 03:26 PM
hell have an up and down career

I agree, Mr. NJ Chief Fan.

Up to the line then down on his ass.

FAX

Adept Havelock
06-14-2006, 06:33 PM
To modify St. Theresa of Avila's famous quote:

I do not fear Phillip Rivers half so much as I fear those who fear him.

rad
06-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Lost in the whole Eliway Manning fiasco is the fact that Rivers was a top-five draft pick.

For the purposes of this poll, set aside his learning curve as a new starter, and think about the next decade or more. In the long term, do you think he's going to be a huge nemesis to the Chiefs? Or is he just another Akili Smith with a more normal first name?

Heh. You said "long-term" and "Philip Rivers" in the same sentence. :shake:

DJJasonp
06-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Nope...not at all.....who was the last QB that Marty groomed to superstardom???

4th and Long
06-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Who?

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-14-2006, 09:15 PM
I've said this before, but one of my friends was college roommates with a guy on the SD practice squad, Ray Perkins. He says that Rivers flat out sucks, and that Cleo Lemon outplayed the hell out of him before he was traded to Miami. That should give you a good idea of what Rivers is actually capable of.

Basileus777
06-14-2006, 09:23 PM
In 2 years Rivers will be in a qb controversy with Charlie Whitehurst.

CHENZ A!
06-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Pip is a bum.

Halfcan
06-14-2006, 11:14 PM
Destined to be the biggest QB bust in SD history.... Maybe even in the history of the NFL.....Maybe even the biggest bust in the history of any sport.

chefsos
06-15-2006, 12:32 AM
Destined to be the biggest QB bust in SD history.... Maybe even in the history of the NFL.....Maybe even the biggest bust in the history of any sport.
Wow, it's so out of character for you to make sweeping, broad-brushed proclamations like this...

...anyway, a random clip of Rivers will undoubtedly bump the "Crashing and Burning off the Ski Jump Thereby Defining the Agony of Defeat" guy from the opening to ABC's Wide World of Sports.

thepascalblaze
06-15-2006, 12:35 AM
Not yet.

KcMizzou
06-15-2006, 03:19 AM
Neutral

MOhillbilly
06-15-2006, 07:14 AM
guys that go big in the draft then are considered busts by the fans and media worry me abit. Nothings more dangerous than a guy whos got nothing to lose.
see LJ 05' season.

Inspector
06-15-2006, 10:23 AM
Eventually, we'll call him Phillip Creek.

cdcox
06-15-2006, 10:46 AM

Worse than Ryan Leaf.... or, uh Ryan Leaf.... or even, hmmm, uhhh, Ryan Leaf?

Predarat
06-15-2006, 10:47 AM
As long as Marty is the coach I fear no QB from San Diego.