PDA

View Full Version : OOOPs: DUHbya jokes and insults a blind man

memyselfI
06-14-2006, 07:25 PM
The guy is such a moran... ROFL

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/06/14/bush-reporter-shades/

Idiot joking (http://images1.americanprogress.org/il80web20037/ThinkProgress/2006/wallsten.320.240.mov)

Bootlegged
06-14-2006, 07:29 PM
The guy is such a moran... ROFL

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/06/14/bush-reporter-shades/

Idiot joking (http://images1.americanprogress.org/il80web20037/ThinkProgress/2006/wallsten.320.240.mov)

Hello new signature

mlyonsd
06-14-2006, 08:35 PM
Hello new signature

Too funny.

alanm
06-14-2006, 08:50 PM
I prefer the Bugs version.. Maroon.

Baby Lee
06-15-2006, 06:39 AM
Hello new signature
Dude, that was on purpose.
Someone will be by later with the photo of the mulleted Cards fan that set the precedent.
It's the web-wide equivalent of 'your and idiot.'

Chiefs Minor Satellite
06-15-2006, 05:38 PM
The news story I heard said that the guy had an eye disease, not that he was blind. The blind story was probably written by a liberal.

Baby Lee
06-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Wallsten said Bush called his cell phone later in the day to apologize and tell him that he didn’t know he had [Stargardt’s] disease. Wallsten said he interrupted and told the president that no apology was necessary and that he didn’t feel offended since he hadn’t told anyone at the White House about his condition.

“[Bush] said, `I needle you guys out of affection,’” Wallsten said. “I said, ‘I understand that, but I don’t want you to treat me any differently

Dr. Van Halen
06-15-2006, 09:08 PM
The news story I heard said that the guy had an eye disease, not that he was blind. The blind story was probably written by a liberal.

Good job defending what he did. Just a debilitating eye disease. Clear to mock!

You know, the guy is wearing sunglasses inside at a somewhat formal event like a presidential press conference ... I think most people would assume that he's not wearing the sunglasses to be crass or disrespectful, but for a medical reason.

It's great that an apology was made, but I think we should expect our nation's leader to have more tact.

Chiefs Minor Satellite
06-16-2006, 07:52 AM

You know, the guy is wearing sunglasses inside at a somewhat formal event like a presidential press conference ... I think most people would assume that he's not wearing the sunglasses to be crass or disrespectful, but for a medical reason.

It's great that an apology was made, but I think we should expect our nation's leader to have more tact.

That may be, but the guy made no comments to anyone concerning wearing dark glasses.

How many people, blind or otherwise, wear sunglasses inside that do no carry the traditional white cane?

I have a couple of medical conditions that can cause things the could cause motions or activity not normal. Should I ever see the president should I say Hello, I'm John Smith, I have xxx and yyy diseases?

patteeu
06-16-2006, 02:02 PM

I guess you expect the President to get his facts straight before he jokes around with a guy who might have eye problems, right? By the same token, you should probably check into things like whether this press conference was inside or outside before you get holier than thou.

patteeu
06-16-2006, 02:10 PM
I don't read them all, but this has got to be one of the silliest OOOPs threads I've read in ages. The only people who look bad in this affair are the people trying to make a big deal out of it.

The exchange was very good natured and the President, even if he didn't understand that there were health issues involved, let the reporter have the last word and toasted the reporter's response with a "touche."

banyon
06-16-2006, 02:34 PM
It was a faux pas, but no worse than when W crashes his bike.

NewChief
06-16-2006, 02:35 PM
Impeach him!!!

:rolleyes:

Nightwish
06-16-2006, 04:09 PM
I feel a Corey Hart moment coming on ...

DaFace
06-16-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm not a big fan of W, but it was just a mistake. At least he called to apologize about it.

Nightwish
06-16-2006, 04:12 PM
I don't read them all, but this has got to be one of the silliest OOOPs threads I've read in ages. The only people who look bad in this affair are the people trying to make a big deal out of it.

The exchange was very good natured and the President, even if he didn't understand that there were health issues involved, let the reporter have the last word and toasted the reporter's response with a "touche."
I agree. I think this is much ado about nothing. Bush has made a lot of gaffes that are certainly OOPS-worthy, but I don't think this is one of them.

BucEyedPea
06-16-2006, 04:22 PM
From what I saw the guy didn't seem offended.
My own massage therapist is blind and tells me blind jokes!
Not that I would do it though.

Nightwish
06-16-2006, 04:23 PM
My own massage therapist is blind and tells me blind jokes!
Not that I would do it though.
I'll tell blonde jokes to a blonde. I'm not sure I'd tell blind jokes to a blind person, though.

BucEyedPea
06-16-2006, 04:24 PM
I'll tell blonde jokes to a blonde. I'm not sure I'd tell blind jokes to a blind person, though.
It would be tacky...but if they're going at it....I guess one could contribute.

Wanna hear a good one? :p

ChiefFripp
06-17-2006, 09:00 AM
I voted for the lesser dipshit...

stevieray
06-17-2006, 09:51 AM

ya, because the citizens of this country just ooze tact.

StcChief
06-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Bush was suppose to know about this how?
No one else is in shades....

He apologized move along.

KingPriest2
06-17-2006, 11:58 AM

Poeple like you just assume things and don't bother to pay any attention.

It was outside

patteeu
06-17-2006, 12:54 PM

It was outside

The guy wasn't insulted, he wasn't blind, and it wasn't inside. This thread is full of bush-hate-induced fantasies.

StcChief
06-17-2006, 03:10 PM
The guy wasn't insulted, he wasn't blind, and it wasn't inside. This thread is full of bush-hate-induced fantasies.

So what else is new in DC forum...

this just in 'The Sky Is Blue'

go bowe
06-17-2006, 03:44 PM
The guy wasn't insulted, he wasn't blind, and it wasn't inside. This thread is full of bush-hate-induced fantasies.to be fair, although they were indeed outside, the president mentioned that the sun was not out at the time...

but that's the only clarification that i have for your post, otherwise i'd have to agree with everything you said...

go bowe
06-17-2006, 03:45 PM
So what else is new in DC forum...

this just in 'The Sky Is Blue'the sky is not blue in the d.c. forum, try to keep up...

Cochise
06-17-2006, 06:38 PM
One of my friends once was at a bar in college, around halloween, and a guy walked in wearing an eyepatch. So he gave him the old "arrrrrgghhh matey! Shiver me timbers!"

Turned out the guy had been in a car wreck and lost his eye.

Logical
06-17-2006, 08:02 PM
ya, because the citizens of this country just ooze tact.
So you don't expect the President to be better than the average goon you meet on the street? I will try and remember that.

stevieray
06-17-2006, 08:42 PM
So you don't expect the President to be better than the average goon you meet on the street? I will try and remember that.

no, I hope the people of this country to hold themselves to the same standards that they expect from the President.

go bowe
06-17-2006, 08:59 PM
no, I hope the people of this country to hold themselves to the same standards that they expect from the President.i dunno...

we hold clergy to a higher standard, we hold judges to a higher standard, why shouldn't the president, the most powerful and infulential person in the world be held to a higher standard than your average joe?

no, i expect a lot more from the president than i do myself or any (other) politician...

Logical
06-17-2006, 09:00 PM
i dunno...

we hold clergy to a higher standard, we hold judges to a higher standard, why shouldn't the president, the most powerful and infulential person in the world be held to a higher standard than your average joe?

no, i expect a lot more from the president than i do myself or any (other) politician...:clap:

Dr. Van Halen
06-17-2006, 09:03 PM

It was outside

Yeah, you're right. It was outside. The clip I saw on the news didn't show him standing and asking the question.

My bad. Shame on me.

Nightwish
06-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Meh, not everyone's on the bandwagon. As I said before, I think it is much ado about nothing. And I'm well-known for being a "Bush hater" (though more of a Cheney hater, really).

stevieray
06-17-2006, 09:47 PM
i dunno...

no, i expect a lot more from the president than i do myself or any (other) politician...

I think you might be missing my point. Of course we should hold the President to a high standard, as we should ourselves. After all, isn't the country's true integrity in the hands of it's citizens?

Nightwish
06-17-2006, 09:53 PM
I think you might be missing my point. Of course we should hold the President to a high standard, as we should ourselves. After all, isn't the country's true integrity in the hands of it's citizens?It's a nice dream, anyway. If everyone in America held themselves to the same standard to which we hold the President, there would be no crime, no poverty, no discrimination, no a lot of things. But then elections would be nearly impossible, because nobody would stand out from the crowd. Everyone would make a good leader.

Logical
06-17-2006, 09:53 PM
I think you might be missing my point. Of course we should hold the President to a high standard, as we should ourselves. After all, isn't the country's true integrity in the hands of it's citizens?The President should meet a higher standard than the average citizen, I think that is the point.

patteeu
06-17-2006, 11:29 PM
Meh, not everyone's on the bandwagon. As I said before, I think it is much ado about nothing. And I'm well-known for being a "Bush hater" (though more of a Cheney hater, really).

I did notice that you took a respectable and sensible position on this one. In fact, I'd have to say it was an unassailable position (since you agreed with me :D ).

You get 23 points for not letting your Bush-hate lead you astray here but you lose 25 points for saying that you're a Cheney hater. :p

Monkeylook4food
06-18-2006, 12:04 AM
Bush sucks - as usual.

Taco John
06-18-2006, 05:10 AM
I can't believe how stupid we've all gotten. It used to be that when a President did something totally stupid like this, we'd all get a good laugh at his expense. Here we find people falling all over themselves to let everyone in the community know how rational we are for saying that this is "much ado about nothing." :rolleyes:

You don't have to hate Bush to acknowledge that it's pretty damned funny that he got caught making fun of a blind guy, unknowingly. That's how humor is created: a sitution that looks one way, but turns out to be another.

You dopes who are breaking your arms patting yourselves on the back for being "rational" and "level-headed" here are hysterical. It's ok to laugh at the president when he does something slapstick stupid. Yeah, obviously it's not the end of the world here that he put a blind guy on the spot for wearing sunglasses. But it's pretty damned amusing, and as far as I'm concerned you'd have to be pretty damned humorless not to be able to laugh about it.

patteeu
06-18-2006, 08:32 AM
I can't believe how stupid we've all gotten. It used to be that when a President did something totally stupid like this, we'd all get a good laugh at his expense. Here we find people falling all over themselves to let everyone in the community know how rational we are for saying that this is "much ado about nothing." :rolleyes:

You don't have to hate Bush to acknowledge that it's pretty damned funny that he got caught making fun of a blind guy, unknowingly. That's how humor is created: a sitution that looks one way, but turns out to be another.

You dopes who are breaking your arms patting yourselves on the back for being "rational" and "level-headed" here are hysterical. It's ok to laugh at the president when he does something slapstick stupid. Yeah, obviously it's not the end of the world here that he put a blind guy on the spot for wearing sunglasses. But it's pretty damned amusing, and as far as I'm concerned you'd have to be pretty damned humorless not to be able to laugh about it.

The only place I can find the words "rational" and "level-headed" are in your post. Are you sure you're in the right thread?

I'd say that anyone who thinks what the President did was "slapstick stupid" seriously lacks a sense of humor themselves. Any dolt who watched that video can see that it was a harmless, innocent, good natured exchange and that the humor was in the exchange itself rather than any supposed stupidity.

Taco John
06-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Whatever dude. First of all, in just your previous post you were slapping Nightwish on the back for taking a (get this) " a respectable and sensible position on this one." A fuggin position! HAR! HAR! HAR! Good Christ! A position!

The the exchange itself was banal and uninteresting. Making fun of a blind person for wearing sunglasses is slapstick stupid. I'm not lacking a sense of humor at all. I just recognize that making fun of a guy like you were still a jock in highschool, and having him turn out to be blind is humor at it's highest peak. It's funny, because Bush went that whole time not expecting that he was teasing a blind person. How am I lacking a sense of humor here? I actually acknowledge the funny.

You're trying to say Bush's joke was funny? "You're going to ask me that question wearing those sunglasses," is a funny joke? Come on!

Just admit it. It's funny that he unkowningly made fun of a blind person, and later had to apologize for the gaffe. It's not the end of the world. Nobody saying he needs to be impeached over it. But it *IS* funny.

go bowe
06-18-2006, 01:10 PM
bush joked, people choked...

patteeu
06-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Whatever dude. First of all, in just your previous post you were slapping Nightwish on the back for taking a (get this) " a respectable and sensible position on this one." A fuggin position! HAR! HAR! HAR! Good Christ! A position!

The the exchange itself was banal and uninteresting. Making fun of a blind person for wearing sunglasses is slapstick stupid. I'm not lacking a sense of humor at all. I just recognize that making fun of a guy like you were still a jock in highschool, and having him turn out to be blind is humor at it's highest peak. It's funny, because Bush went that whole time not expecting that he was teasing a blind person. How am I lacking a sense of humor here? I actually acknowledge the funny.

You're trying to say Bush's joke was funny? "You're going to ask me that question wearing those sunglasses," is a funny joke? Come on!

Just admit it. It's funny that he unkowningly made fun of a blind person, and later had to apologize for the gaffe. It's not the end of the world. Nobody saying he needs to be impeached over it. But it *IS* funny.

How ironic. The fact that you didn't recognize that I was joking around with Nightwish, someone with whom I rarely agree on DC topics, is evidence of your lack of sense of humor. I'm sure you are normally a swell, fun-loving, observant guy, but Bush is apparently so far up your ass that you've lost all perspective.

(1) The guy in the sunglasses isn't blind.

(2) Bush's friendly jousting with him wasn't particularly funny but it was funny enough to draw a little laughter from the assembled journalists. The humor comes from a person in a position of power putting a peon on the spot and then releasing the tension by letting everyone know he was joking about it.

(3) It's not particularly funny that Bush's good-natured jab ended up backfiring on him a bit although if someone were to say they see no humor in it at all, I'd criticize them for lacking a sense of humor too.

Dr. Van Halen
06-18-2006, 10:55 PM
How ironic. The fact that you didn't recognize that I was joking around with Nightwish, someone with whom I rarely agree on DC topics, is evidence of your lack of sense of humor. I'm sure you are normally a swell, fun-loving, observant guy, but Bush is apparently so far up your ass that you've lost all perspective.

(1) The guy in the sunglasses isn't blind.

(2) Bush's friendly jousting with him wasn't particularly funny but it was funny enough to draw a little laughter from the assembled journalists. The humor comes from a person in a position of power putting a peon on the spot and then releasing the tension by letting everyone know he was joking about it.

(3) It's not particularly funny that Bush's good-natured jab ended up backfiring on him a bit although if someone were to say they see no humor in it at all, I'd criticize them for lacking a sense of humor too.

I realize I bowed out of this thread a while back, but this is the second time at least that you have stated that the reporter wasn't blind. The reporter was legally blind. Legally blind. Are you trying to say that there is a difference between "legally blind" and "blind" that is somehow significant to this discussion?

I wish Neocons didn't feel the need to defend to the death every single thing that the president does. He is human and makes mistakes -- some laughable, some unconscionable.

Logical
06-18-2006, 11:24 PM
To me this is not a huge deal, you would think the leader of the free world would be smart enough not to make an issue of a man wearing sunglasses. Blind or not it is rude for someone more powerful to make an issue of someone elses appearance. That the man suffers from a disability only makes it worse whether he says he was not bothered or not. This is just another example of the lack of common sense Bush displays all the time.

JBucc
06-18-2006, 11:35 PM
Well at least he couldn't hear it.

patteeu
06-19-2006, 06:41 AM
I realize I bowed out of this thread a while back, but this is the second time at least that you have stated that the reporter wasn't blind. The reporter was legally blind. Legally blind. Are you trying to say that there is a difference between "legally blind" and "blind" that is somehow significant to this discussion?

I wish Neocons didn't feel the need to defend to the death every single thing that the president does. He is human and makes mistakes -- some laughable, some unconscionable.

My mistake, thanks for the correction.

I wish Bush-haters didn't feel the need to criticize everything the man does no matter how trivial.

banyon
06-19-2006, 09:12 AM
My mistake, thanks for the correction.

I wish Bush-haters didn't feel the need to criticize everything the man does no matter how trivial.

:BS:

It was a faux pas, but no worse than when W crashes his bike.

Impeach him!!! :rolleyes:

I'm not a big fan of W, but it was just a mistake. At least he called to apologize about it.

I agree. I think this is much ado about nothing. Bush has made a lot of gaffes that are certainly OOPS-worthy, but I don't think this is one of them.

Yeah, obviously it's not the end of the world here that he put a blind guy on the spot for wearing sunglasses.

To me this is not a huge deal

patteeu
06-19-2006, 11:26 AM
:BS:

That same BS flag could have been waved at Dr. Van Halen's statement about "Neocons" but you apparently found nothing to criticize there. :rolleyes:

I don't really consider you a Bush-hater even if you don't agree with most of the things he does. I'd say the same thing about NewChief and some of the others on your list. But by all means, try to defend those that you know do what I say by posting reasonable statements from people like yourself and BucEyedPea and half-statements from haters like Taco if it makes you feel better.

Cochise
06-19-2006, 11:28 AM
I don't really consider you a Bush-hater

:spock:

the Talking Can
06-19-2006, 12:23 PM
That same BS flag could have been waved at Dr. Van Halen's statement about "Neocons" but you apparently found nothing to criticize there. :rolleyes:

I don't really consider you a Bush-hater even if you don't agree with most of the things he does. I'd say the same thing about NewChief and some of the others on your list. But by all means, try to defend those that you know do what I say by posting reasonable statements from people like yourself and BucEyedPea and half-statements from haters like Taco if it makes you feel better.

just admit you were owned....the truth is always easier...for everyone

Baby Lee
06-19-2006, 12:25 PM
If someone says "Some people did X," the response "some people didn't" is not a refutation. ;)

patteeu
06-19-2006, 12:39 PM

Ah speak of the devil. Another hater joins the party.

I admitted my mistake in this thread. I was wrong about the guy's blindness.

Rausch
06-20-2006, 11:44 PM

banyon
06-21-2006, 08:58 AM
I don't really consider you a Bush-hater even if you don't agree with most of the things he does. .

I'm not a Bush-hata?

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAHAAAA!
ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL
LMFAO!!

listopencil
10-26-2006, 01:52 AM
BUMP