PDA

View Full Version : Merrill (6/13) Cro

Wile_E_Coyote
06-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Posted on Tue, Jun. 13, 2006
Chiefs’ receiving corps is crowded

By ELIZABETH MERRILL

The Kansas City Star

These are hard times to be a receiver in Kansas City. The new coach is talking about running the ball more. The town, for weeks, was awash with who it couldn’t have — Terrell Owens — instead of who was right here.

And every time a young receiver glances up from the playbook, another one is arriving. The Chiefs have 13 receivers on the roster right now.
“As soon as I mention one guy’s name,” coach Herm Edwards said, “I’ve got 15 other guys looking at me like, ‘Well, Coach said something about him …’ ”

Even Craphonso Thorpe doesn’t feel comfortable. Remember Cro? The track star from Florida State with first-round potential and first-year brain cramps? Thorpe has been impressive enough in offseason workouts that he’s drawn kudos from everyone from quarterback Trent Green to hall-of-fame receiver Charlie Joiner.

But here Thorpe stands, in front of his locker after a long workout, contemplating the fragility of a young receiver’s life in the NFL. McCready, McIntyre, Melendez, Metcalf. That’s some of Thorpe’s competition, and it’s just scratching the M’s.

“First of all, nobody’s guaranteed me a spot on the team,” Thorpe said. “Nobody’s told me that I’m not going to be on the practice squad next year. So I just try to do my best and leave it in God’s hands.”

Thorpe’s hands have never really been the problem. His head has. The playbook is massive, and the Chiefs expect their receivers to know all the positions. Thorpe knew one last year. Chris Horn and Marc Boerigter mastered all three.

So Horn and Boerigter played, and Thorpe toiled away on the scout team. Now both of the veterans are gone — Horn is in New Orleans and Boerigter is thriving in Green Bay — but Thorpe doesn’t assume this is an automatic opening for the third receiver spot behind Eddie Kennison and Samie Parker.

Neither does Edwards.

“I’ll just tell you that it’s a good group of guys,” Edwards said. “It’s going to be tough at the end of the day keeping whoever we keep, the fourth or fifth guy, but that’s good.

“There’s competition there, which is good. The thing I like about our receiving corps, we’ve got some big guys, we’ve got some big receivers and they’ve done a pretty good job. So it’s good competition and it’s great to go into camp with those type of guys where you get competitive at that position.”

The Chiefs could keep five receivers, and three spots are already locked down. Kennison and Parker will start, and Dante Hall will play mainly in the slot. Edwards has liked what he’s seen so far from rookie Jeff Webb, a sixth-round pick, and he made a point late last week to say Scott McCready had gotten off to a good start after a stint in NFL Europe.

Thorpe, a 6-foot, 187-pounder, says he feels better, stronger and smarter every day he steps off the field. He also knows he’s not too far removed from last summer, when everything was complicated.

In May 2005, Thorpe was coming off a serious leg injury when he arrived in Kansas City for rookie camp. He repeatedly said his leg was 100 percent, but the coaches noticed some residual effects.

“You can tell a difference from what he was at this time last year,” Joiner said. “The broken leg was still on his mind. You could see he didn’t trust that leg, that he didn’t trust it was completely well.

“If you go off his credentials from his junior year, he would have been a low first-round, early second-round pick.”

Green and former coach Dick Vermeil used to stand on the sideline, watch the practice squad and marvel over Thorpe’s talent. Before the broken leg, Thorpe caught 123 passes for 2,153 yards and 18 touchdowns. He was named ACC outdoor performer of the year in track and ran on a relay team that qualified for the NCAA championships.

Today, Thorpe is just one in 13.

“Craphonso is still at that stage where he’s thinking a little bit too much on the field,” Green said. “He has all the talent in the world, and I’ve told him that. Once he gets the mental part of it down in terms of hearing the play in the huddle, breaking the huddle, doing his shift, doing his motions, making his adjustments on the go …

“It’s up to him, and I said, ‘You’ve got to get to that point to where you’re not thinking, to where you’re just going and playing and that aggression takes over.’ And I think he’ll get there.”

<HR class=infobox-hr-separator color=#cccccc SIZE=1>

Lucky 13

Here are the 13 receivers currently on the Chiefs’ roster, listed with experience and 2005 statistics.

PlayerExp. Rec-Yds-TD

Nathaniel Curry 1—

Dante Hall 7 34-436-3

Chris Hannon R —

Darrell Hill 4—

Jermaine Jamison R —

Eddie Kennison 11 68-1,102-5

Scott McCready 1—

Jeris McIntyre 1—

Dan Melendez R —

Terrance Metcalf 1—

Samie Parker 3 36-533-3

Craphonso Thorpe 1—

Jeff Webb R —

<HR class=tagline color=#cccccc SIZE=1>

Chiefs reporter Adam Teicher contributed to this report. To reach Elizabeth Merrill, Chiefs reporter for The Star, call (816) 234-4744 or send e-mail to lmerrill@kcstar.com (lmerrill@kcstar.com)

big nasty kcnut
06-14-2006, 11:31 PM
Craphonso Thorpe Eddie Kennison Dante Hall Craphonso Thorpe Jeff Webb should be our starters.

Rausch
06-14-2006, 11:41 PM
So he's a ****ing idiot.

Great...

ChiefsCountry
06-14-2006, 11:44 PM
So he's a ****ing idiot.

Great...

Think about it, he went to Florida State.

keg in kc
06-15-2006, 12:22 AM
Think about it, he went to Florida State.Yeah, Brad. Think about that. An idiot from Florida State. Who'da thunk?! ROFL

Actually, hoping he works out. One Snoop Minnis was one too many.

Fish
06-15-2006, 12:25 AM
Craphonso Thorpe Eddie Kennison Dante Hall Craphonso Thorpe Jeff Webb should be our starters.

ROFL..... nut you rule man.......

Mr. Kotter
06-15-2006, 07:28 AM

1. Kennison
2. Parker
3a. Hall
3b. Thorpe
4-5. McCready and/or McIntyre
6. Webb (PS)

Chiefnj
06-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Other than Kennison, Parker and Hall, I don't know how anyone could even guess at this point in time who the other starters will be. They haven't had a single practice with contact yet.

Mr. Kotter
06-15-2006, 07:37 AM
Other than Kennison, Parker and Hall, I don't know how anyone could even guess at this point in time who the other starters will be. They haven't had a single practice with contact yet.

Scouting reports, talent/athletic ability, money invested by the Chiefs, commentary and stories like this one.....give us a glimpse.

Of course, no one knows....just an educated guess/opinion. :shrug:

NaptownChief
06-15-2006, 07:47 AM
I haven't heard anything about him so far but that Chris Hannon was pretty impressive in his combine workouts. I watched the WR workouts on the NFL Network and Hannon really stood out. I'm glad we got him as a FA.

Rain Man
06-15-2006, 07:53 AM
I'm a bit curious about Parker being penciled as a roster lock and the starter. I don't want to start a Samie-bashing party, but he wasn't drafted any higher than Thorpe, and he has one year (2?) more in experience. Then you've got several guys who were sixth- or seventh-round picks, which isn't that far off a fourth-round pick in generic perceived value.

I think that Parker will probably start, and he'll almost certainly make the team, but I can at least imagine scenarios where neither could occur, which in my mind means he's not a lock.

Brock
06-15-2006, 07:55 AM
Boerigter is thriving in Green Bay

Uh, yeah. Canton, here he comes.

Rain Man
06-15-2006, 08:00 AM
Uh, yeah. Canton, here he comes.

I didn't know Canton had an arena team.