PDA

View Full Version : Ben changing his tune on helmets...

memyselfI
06-15-2006, 04:49 PM
Good for him. :clap:

http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_166172624.html

ChiefaRoo
06-15-2006, 04:57 PM
I'm surprised he said anything at all considering his head is undoubtably the size of a beach ball right now

Douche Baggins
06-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Try driving a car, dumbass.

FAX
06-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Before breaking face in 87 places, "I don't believe in wearing a helmet. Nothing will happen to me and, besides, there's no law or anything here."

After breaking face in 87 places, "Helmets is good."

FAX

BucEyedPea
06-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Sometimes the school-of-hard-knocks is the only way some learn and unfortunately the best way. I guess he needed the idea literally knocked into his skull! ROFL

Calcountry
06-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Good for him. :clap:

http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_166172624.html

Since you are calling him out, I doubt that Big Ben will be posting in your thread.

Halfcan
06-15-2006, 05:45 PM
I think Big Ben is overrated and kind of Stoopid.

TinyEvel
06-15-2006, 05:51 PM
Yes. But will he wear the Jimmy Hat from now on?

DJay23
06-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Being a teacher in Central PA where there are a LOT of Steelers fans, I am reminded constantly what a hero he is to a lot of young people. Charles Barkley may be right, athletes aren't role models, but kids sure pay attention to them and emulate them. It's good to see Ben say the right things if only to influence impressionable kids.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-15-2006, 05:53 PM
I don't understand these players that are making millions a year and are driving motorcycles. If I made that kind of money, I would drive a Ferrari, or something like that. Nothing against cycles, but there is a great deal of risk. I love riding dirtbikes, but I would never take the risk on the road. Think about it. :hmmm: Everytime you pull your car out do you look for a motorcycle? It very easy to just be looking for a cars and not even see a cycle.

R&GHomer
06-15-2006, 06:08 PM
I don't understand these players that are making millions a year and are driving motorcycles. If I made that kind of money, I would drive a Ferrari, or something like that. Nothing against cycles, but there is a great deal of risk. I love riding dirtbikes, but I would never take the risk on the road. Think about it. :hmmm: Everytime you pull your car out do you look for a motorcycle? It very easy to just be looking for a cars and not even see a cycle.

Ummm, yes... I look for everything. Motorcycles, kids, dogs, other cars. Basically anything that I could hit, or be hit by.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Ummm, yes... I look for everything. Motorcycles, kids, dogs, other cars. Basically anything that I could hit, or be hit by.

I understand that. The problem is the people that don't look for everything. There are a lot of people that shouldn't be driving, but you're not one of them. I just think there are too many of these people who aren't careful at all and cycles are too much of a risk because of it.

R&GHomer
06-15-2006, 06:17 PM
I understand that. The problem is the people that don't look for everything. There are a lot of people that shouldn't be driving, but you're not one of them. I just think there are too many of these people who aren't careful at all and cycles are too much of a risk because of it.

Your right. Especially the aholes that are always talking on their friggin cell phones. I guess I'm just more cautious because I used to ride.

DJay23
06-15-2006, 06:21 PM
2 accidents in the last week about 3 miles apart on the same stretch of road where I live. 6 people dead including a family of 4, one still in serious condition. The reason? Motorcycles that people didn't see. Obviously if you are very careful, you should be ok, but I will admit it is harder to see cycles coming, especially at certain times of day and at higher speeds.

FAX
06-15-2006, 06:23 PM

As a former rider, R&GHomer, I am organically wired to keep a keen eye out for bikes. Two days ago, though, I almost hit a guy on a rice burner who flew past me going about 90 in a 65 zone. I never saw him until I almost changed lanes right into him. It would not have been my fault, but he would have been just as dead.

Sadly, it can happen to anybody, anytime.

FAX

DJay23
06-15-2006, 06:23 PM
I guess I'm just more cautious because I used to ride.
Good point. Some people aren't as aware or careful as they should be.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-15-2006, 06:24 PM
Your right. Especially the aholes that are always talking on their friggin cell phones. I guess I'm just more cautious because I used to ride.

I have a job that requires to have a phone ready at all times. I use a handsfree headset, but it still gets your mind off the road which isn't safe. I would like to not use my phone in the car at all, but I can't prevent it. When my kids get old enough, I'm only going to allow a phone for emergencies.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Its not just the vehicle drivers causing the problems. Some bike riders bring the harm to themselves.

stevieray
06-15-2006, 06:29 PM
but I will admit it is harder to see cycles coming, especially at certain times of day and at higher speeds.

exactly why I have a Kerker header...you might not see me, but you will hear me.

R&GHomer
06-15-2006, 06:37 PM
Its not just the vehicle drivers causing the problems. Some bike riders bring the harm to themselves.

Exactly, riders have to be aware of the fact that your harder to see. Riding like a bat out of hell weaving in and out of traffic is just asking for it.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Exactly, riders have to be aware of the fact that your harder to see. Riding like a bat out of hell weaving in and out of traffic is just asking for it.

I just think if you ride, you have to be willing to take the risk out there. I understand a bike is some people's only mode of transport, but I think it should be avoided if possible.

Big Ben shouldn't have been riding nomatter if he's got a helmet or not. He's got the money and shouldn't be taking the risk.

R&GHomer
06-15-2006, 06:52 PM
I just think if you ride, you have to be willing to take the risk out there. I understand a bike is some people's only mode of transport, but I think it should be avoided if possible.

Big Ben shouldn't have been riding nomatter if he's got a ring or not. He's got the money and shouldn't be taking the risk.

I agree to a point. The fact that he has money doesn't really play into it. The man enjoys riding and if that's what he wants to do, then so be it. But riding downtown pittsburgh during a week day and not wearing a helmet is just plane stupid. If he wanted to take the bike out on a weekend and cruse around the country side "while still being a risk" I wouldn't have a problem with it. Hell, whats the point of having all that money if you don't enjoy life.

DJay23
06-15-2006, 06:59 PM
One of the accidents I mentioned before was because a guy on a rice burner was doing in excess of 100 mph and a van pulling onto the road from a stop sign didn't see him. Cycle hits van, everything bursts into flames, rider and family of 4 dead. The bike was imbedded into the side of the van. That one was the cyclists fault for sure.

The cycle actually passed me on the highway before it wrecked, and I came upon the subsequent traffic jam with the wreck ablaze. And I mean it was on FIRE. Very sad and it all could have been avoided.

stevieray
06-15-2006, 07:01 PM
bikers who always ride like maniacs will crash..it's just a matter of time.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-15-2006, 07:01 PM
I agree to a point. The fact that he has money doesn't really play into it. The man enjoys riding and if that's what he wants to do, then so be it. But riding downtown pittsburgh during a week day and not wearing a helmet is just plane stupid. If he wanted to take the bike out on a weekend and cruse around the country side "while still being a risk" I wouldn't have a problem with it. Hell, whats the point of having all that money if you don't enjoy life.

LOL, I change my post before you replied from ring to helmet. With as many bad drivers out they, i don't think he can take the risk anytime. He's under contract and it isn't fair to the steelers that he takes the risk that could end his career, let alone his life.

Like I said, I've got two 150 cc dirtbikes. I have a blast! Its safe and fun. :thumb: