PDA

View Full Version : Props to W

Pitt Gorilla
06-16-2006, 12:41 AM
I didn't see this posted, so I thought I would do it. I saw on the news tonight that he made a large part of Hawaii into a nature refuge, or something like that. W should get big props for this one, regardless of what side you are on. I'll see if I can find a link.

Logical
06-16-2006, 01:53 AM
I didn't see this posted, so I thought I would do it. I saw on the news tonight that he made a large part of Hawaii into a nature refuge, or something like that. W should get big props for this one, regardless of what side you are on. I'll see if I can find a link.

That is cool, I agree with you. Hopefully the national parks department won't mess it up. I read an article recently how they messed up Yellowstone many times over the years because they thought they were properly managing the environment when actually they just kept knocking different ecosystems out of balance with their actions to preserve it.

jAZ
06-16-2006, 01:56 AM
Cool! :thumb:

tiptap
06-16-2006, 07:14 AM
Began in the Clinton administration and thwarted by democratic senators from Hawaii, I am glad that GW followed through on this and moved the status from a refuge to a National Monument. (We paid off the fishing interests out of Hawaii to do so but worth it to fishing in the long run.)

Radar Chief
06-16-2006, 07:47 AM
Began in the Clinton administration and thwarted by democratic senators from Hawaii, I am glad that GW followed through on this and moved the status from a refuge to a National Monument. (We paid off the fishing interests out of Hawaii to do so but worth it to fishing in the long run.)

Right, as I understand it he turned a sizable chunk of ocean just off the Hawaiian Islands into a “national monument”.
I was of the opinion that I’d wait to see what he local fisherman thought of it and how it’d effect their economy but Tiptap claims they’ve been, “paid off”.
Got a link to that Tiptap?

BucEyedPea
06-16-2006, 07:54 AM
Right, as I understand it he turned a sizable chunk of ocean just off the Hawaiian Islands into a “national monument”.

ROFL I saw this elsewhere too.

RP_McMurphy
06-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Go thru those areas this weekend........hmmmmm can we pump bilges?

tiptap
06-17-2006, 08:12 AM
I was of the opinion that I’d wait to see what he local fisherman thought of it and how it’d effect their economy but Tiptap claims they’ve been, “paid off”.

ON public Radio they had an interview with Babbage who led the process back in the Clinton administration. That interview indicated that fishing interests were addressed. The non DC push actually came from the Republican governor of Hawaii.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/14/AR2006061402455.html

NewChief
06-17-2006, 12:28 PM

From what I've heard about the local "native" fishermen in Hawaii, I'm not sure I care too much what they think. I've heard numerous reports about the natives there raping the fishing grounds with their catch nets to the point that the sportfishing is pretty much worthless in Hawaii.

Adept Havelock
06-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Go thru those areas this weekend........hmmmmm can we pump bilges?Can you :thailor: spare the time from pumping each other? :p

If true, a good move by the admin.

go bowe
06-17-2006, 03:30 PM
From what I've heard about the local "native" fishermen in Hawaii, I'm not sure I care too much what they think. I've heard numerous reports about the natives there raping the fishing grounds with their catch nets to the point that the sportfishing is pretty much worthless in Hawaii.pacific islanders have been raping fishing grounds for eons...

their practices haven't changed that much, maybe it's other factors that have affected the sportfish population...

afaik, there hasn't been any changes in sportfishing around samoa and the natives have always used nets, and there's a lot more natives than there used to be too...