PDA

View Full Version : IT's Official......Dan Rather is History.........

chiefqueen
06-16-2006, 02:49 PM
He's giving up his "60 minutes" gig.

BigRedChief
06-16-2006, 02:51 PM
And we should care about this? Why?

FringeNC
06-16-2006, 02:52 PM
His partner in crime Mary Mapes still contends the Guard documents were legit. Very telling of the media, I think.

SBK
06-16-2006, 04:28 PM
His partner in crime Mary Mapes still contends the Guard documents were legit.

So does jAZ.

ROFL

Taco John
06-16-2006, 04:39 PM
I don't know that the documents were legit. I believe the content was though. We all deserve the easy life Bush has led.

Donger
06-16-2006, 05:06 PM
I don't know that the documents were legit. I believe the content was though. We all deserve the easy life Bush has led.

ROFL

I love this concept.

"Yeah, the documents are probably forged, but the story within them is true, damnit!"

"Er, how so?"

"Because I want them to be, damnit!"

ROFL

BTW, I don't know that those 9/11 videos were legit, but I'm with you: I believe their content!

FringeNC
06-16-2006, 05:43 PM

They are laughable. No serious person questions the fact that they are bogus.

That the media would forge documents in the middle of an election to help their candidate win is mind-boggling.

And your opinion of Bush is irrelevant as to the authenticity, or lack thereof, of the documents.

PunkinDrublic
06-16-2006, 05:51 PM
His partner in crime Mary Mapes still contends the Guard documents were legit. Very telling of the media, I think.

You know what, Rather might have ****ed up on that one but the bottom line is dubya was too much of a pussy to finish out his stint in the national guard.

FringeNC
06-16-2006, 05:54 PM
You know what, Rather might have ****ed up on that one but the bottom line is dubya was too much of a pussy to finish out his stint in the national guard.

If true, I could give a rats' ass, and it in no way excuses the fraud perpetrated by CBS.

patteeu
06-16-2006, 05:57 PM
So does jAZ.

ROFL

jAZ has taken a firm stand that it's a 50/50 proposition. ROFL

Rain Man
06-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Dan Rather was on 60 Minutes?

I never watched that show. It was always a little too sensationalistic for me.

listopencil
06-16-2006, 06:02 PM
If true, I could give a rats' ass, and it in no way excuses the fraud perpetrated by CBS.

Yep. I dislike Bush but the bigger issue is the forged documents and the way they were handled by CBS, especially during an election. Disgusting.

noa
06-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Our entire media is crap. Its not just Dan Rather or the forged documents. There are only 5 companies in this country that own every single media outlet. All we got is constant nonesense (Natalee Holloway, the Runaway Bride, etc.) over and over and over. Good media reporting from a major network is about as hard to find as an ivory billed wood-pecker.

dtebbe
06-16-2006, 08:04 PM
So does jAZ.

ROFL

You mean jIZ

ChiefaRoo
06-16-2006, 08:57 PM
CBS = Ratherbiased

Time to go home to TX Dan and sit around the local coffee shop errr $100,000 a year country club and tell everyone how you and Mary Mapes got hoodwinked by that idiot W and those bastages from FOX.

Good riddance. His retiring symbolizes the ending of a grand yet scary era in which the big three networks worked in cahoots force feeding Americans opinions mixed in with real news.

I hope Dan gets one of those trucks that Dateline rigged with explosives back in the 80's to show how "alledgedly" unsafe the gas tanks were as a retirement gift.

Pitt Gorilla
06-16-2006, 09:02 PM
CBS = Ratherbiased

Time to go home to TX Dan and sit around the local coffee shop errr $100,000 a year country club and tell everyone how you and Mary Mapes got hoodwinked by that idiot W and those bastages from FOX.

Good riddance. His retiring symbolizes the ending of a grand yet scary era in which the big three networks worked in cahoots force feeding Americans opinions mixed in with real news.

I hope Dan gets one of those trucks that Dateline rigged with explosives back in the 80's to show how "alledgedly" unsafe the gas tanks were as a retirement gift.
Looks like you might have that tin foil hat on too tight... :)

Donger
06-16-2006, 09:05 PM

Have you taken a look here?: http://www.ratherbiased.com/

Those are his own words.

ChiefaRoo
06-16-2006, 09:09 PM

Pitt, if you go back in time before CNN and the Cable Networks there's an obvious lib. bias in them that has existed at least since I started watching TV news as a little kid in the late 70's. Peter Jennings, Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw and Ted Koppel are all interchangeable in their politics. Further, Uncle Walter is and was a screaming lib as well.

It's still going on today and to deny a lib. bias in the legacy media is just wrong. It's easy to prove just flip back an forth and compare FOX to any of the legacy big three networks and notice the difference in what they cover and how they couch the same stories. It's obvious and I for one am glad that ABC, CBS and NBC no longer have the power they used to have.

Pitt Gorilla
06-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Pitt, if you go back in time before CNN and the Cable Networks there's an obvious lib. bias in them that has existed ever since I started watching TV news as a little kid in the late 70's. Peter Jennings, Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw and Ted Koppel are all interchangeable in their politics. Further, Uncle Walter is and was a screaming lib as well.

It's still going on today and to deny a lib. bias in the legacy media is just wrong. It's easy to prove just flip back an forth and compare FOX to any of the legacy big three networks and notice the difference in what they cover and how they couch the same stories. It's obvious and I for one am glad that ABC, CBS and NBC no longer have the power they used to have.
Of course, bias exists no matter what you watch. I'm merely laughing at the thought of the big networks being in "cahoots" with one another.

Interestingly, I was watching Fox News this afternoon with the grey headed guy. That guy was about as right winged as they come. He was talking about congress voting either "for the war" or "against the troops." Those were his words; they were written on the screen several times. I thought that was pretty funny. He went on to ask an FBI guy if the US govt. would fake documents. Good stuff.

Donger
06-16-2006, 09:17 PM
It's still going on today and to deny a lib. bias in the legacy media is just wrong.

Worry not. jAZ will be along shortly to point out the errors of your ways; not only is the media NOT liberal, it's actually conservative.

listopencil
06-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Have you taken a look here?: http://www.ratherbiased.com/

Those are his own words.

Wow...

RATHER (referring to whether Bill Clinton's an honest man): Well, because I think he is. I think at core, he's an honest person. I know that you have a different view. I know that you consider it sort of astonishing anybody would say so. But I think you can be an honest person and lie about any number of things.
--Dan Rather on FNC's O'Reilly Factor May 15, 2001.

ChiefaRoo
06-16-2006, 09:19 PM
Of course, bias exists no matter what you watch. I'm merely laughing at the thought of the big networks being in "cahoots" with one another.

Interestingly, I was watching Fox News this afternoon with the grey headed guy. That guy was about as right winged as they come. He was talking about congress voting either "for the war" or "against the troops." Those were his words; they were written on the screen several times. I thought that was pretty funny. He went on to ask an FBI guy if the US govt. would fake documents. Good stuff.

Ok, I'm not saying they had formalized meetings but I am telling you that they ALL suffered from group think which originated with a left of center political view. I'm glad there are choices now so I don't have to listen to that drivel.

Donger
06-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Ok, I'm not saying they had formalized meetings but I am telling you that they ALL suffered from group think which originated with a left of center political view. I'm glad there are choices now so I don't have to listen to that drivel.

That what always cracks me up about Fox's "Fair and Balanced" claim. Some people (trying not to get this tossed to DC Forum) scream, "Pfft!! They're not fair and balanaced at all!!! They're a right wing news source!!" And, I would agree. I've no problem admitting that. But, I have a buddy that works there and apparently the joke is that that slogan is meant to 'balance' the rest of the national media, since it is left-leaning.

ChiefaRoo
06-16-2006, 09:42 PM
That what always cracks me up about Fox's "Fair and Balanced" claim. Some people (trying not to get this tossed to DC Forum) scream, "Pfft!! They're not fair and balanaced at all!!! They're a right wing news source!!" And, I would agree. I've no problem admitting that. But, I have a buddy that works there and apparently the joke is that that slogan is meant to 'balance' the rest of the national media, since it is left-leaning.

I would agree with that except to say why call FOX Right Wing? I would say that roughly 60% to 70% of the nation lives and thinks like so- called Right Wingers (They work hard, go to Church, belive in marriage, strong military etc) and out of this majority about 52%+ vote " so-called Right Wing" in any given election. That being said how can they then be called Right Wing? I mean doesn't the majority of the country set the the mainstream or middle and then you go left and right from there? I think we live in a pretty conservative country from a values, religious and fiscal standpoint.

I guess we could debate these definitions but all in all I'm glad Ole' Dan "The peoples man" is gone <~~and yes this is sarcasm

Donger
06-16-2006, 09:46 PM
I would agree with that except to say why call FOX Right Wing? I would say that roughly 60% to 70% of the nation lives and thinks like so- called Right Wingers (They work hard, go to Church, belive in marriage, strong military etc) and out this majority about 52%+ vote " so-called Right Wing" in any given election. That being said how can they then be called Right Wing then? I mean doesn't the majority of the country set the the mainstream or middle and then you go left and right from there? I think we live in a pretty conservative country from a values, religious and fiscal standpoint.

Compared to the rest of the world, yes, we are more conservative. And, IMO, that's why Fox is doing so well: they present the news and their opinion shows from a conservative viewpoint, one that wasn't available before they showed.

But, I'm a liberal so what do I know.

Taco John
06-16-2006, 09:57 PM
I just wish Americans cared more about forged yellowcake uranium documents that helped get us into war than this goofy Dan Rather stuff. But yeah, it was pretty stupid that they forged documents to make Bush look bad, when all they needed to do was ask him some impromptu questions.

ChiefaRoo
06-16-2006, 10:03 PM
Compared to the rest of the world, yes, we are more conservative. And, IMO, that's why Fox is doing so well: they present the news and their opinion shows from a conservative viewpoint, one that wasn't available before they showed.

But, I'm a liberal so what do I know.

I don't know about the rest of the World. I'd say the Wester Euro weenies (Belgium, France and a portion of the Germans) are pretty liberal but not the Eastern Euros such as the Poles, Czech's etc. I think the Russians are pretty conservative as are ALL of the Muslim Countries. Australia and England are pretty middle of the road to pragmatically conservative.

The difference with American conservatism is it's mixed with values based on the constitution and Western Religion and we've got a good mix that hasn't led to Fascism.

It's interesting to try and label people. I mean JFK and Truman are more in line with John McCain today than the modern Dem. party.

Guru
06-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Now we will see him on street corners with a sign saying "Will lie for food"

SBK
06-17-2006, 02:05 AM
But yeah, it was pretty stupid that they forged documents to make Bush look bad, when all they needed to do was ask him some impromptu questions.

I don't care who you are that's funny.