PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen Nacho Libre?

bishop_74
06-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Looking for an objective point of view. I want to see thee movie, but don't want to waste my time if it is only worth a couple of laughs.

Valiant
06-17-2006, 03:24 PM
One of the top ten worst movies ever made..

The movie is "date movie" bad, one of my buddies literally feel asleep...

Thig Lyfe
06-17-2006, 05:34 PM
I really liked it. Jared Hess (the director) is everything that Hollywood is not. Very esoteric and fearless, not afraid to take risks and be unconventional (but not just for the sake of being unconventional). That's what made Napoleon Dynamite so successful.

So, if you prefer safe Stiller/Wilson movies (which, hey, I love 'em too but then again I have broad tastes) and like formula comedies, you'll probably not like it. It takes a lot of risks that audiences, critics, and especially studio execs won't like.

I would give it a strong B. It wasn't as good as ND, but that's because this obviously had Nickelodeon (they produced it) urging Hess to wedge it into their demographic. The worst parts of the movies are the less Hess-ish (e.g. fart noises, lame jokes), but they are fairly minimal and are overcome by the silly charm eminating from Hess's direction and Jack Black's acting.

shaneo69
06-17-2006, 05:46 PM
When I first heard about this movie, I immediately thought of "Beverly Hills Ninja".

StcChief
06-17-2006, 06:31 PM
$1 rental maybe

AZORChiefFan
06-17-2006, 06:39 PM
I saw it a couple days ago at a screening. I thought it was funny. I mean it's worth say a matinee price. If you like 'odd' comedy you'd like it if not probably not. Oh if you like Jack Black and his antics definitely go.

FWIW the movie is based on a true story. Well the part about a priest doing the whole Lucha Libre at night to support an orphanage is true.

the Talking Can
06-17-2006, 06:39 PM
very dissapointed...I had high hopes

sure, jack black in a moustache, tights, and half-mexican/half-italian accent is funny in and of itself...and there are moments when the films desperate attempts to be quirky are successful, but not as many as there should be...the set-up is great (really really great), the execution reveals a real limit to the directors talents though, can't break through the surface....caveat: I thought Napolean Dynomite was one of the unfunniest movies I've ever watched, and I like quirky/absurd/whatever type humor...

I'd like to see what Paul Thomas Anderson would do with the same cast and script.

Thig Lyfe
06-17-2006, 06:48 PM
I thought Napolean Dynomite was one of the unfunniest movies I've ever watched, and I like quirky/absurd/whatever type humor...

Quirky isn't how I would describe it... more like surreal. Quirky is more like Zoolander or Anchorman. ND and NL are both very surreal, bizarre movies with not a lot of grounding in any specific time, place or reality.

KChiefs1
06-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Very Disappointing!

Sam Hall
06-17-2006, 07:44 PM
I work at a movie theater. Most people come out saying that the movie is stupid. Unless you're a teenager, it sounds like you should skip this one.

HerculesRockefell
06-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Completely retarded

Pitt Gorilla
06-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Why would you want to see it? Even the commercials make it look stupid...

bishop_74
06-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Why would you want to see it? Even the commercials make it look stupid...

I am suprised from time to time. Its really hard to tell by the previews on ANY movie if you ask me. Just looking for some feedback.

JBucc
06-17-2006, 10:03 PM
If you really like Jack Black you should see it. If not then you should not see it. I'll leave you with that. Oh and I have not seen it.