PDA

View Full Version : You must admit Soccer is weird....

Logical
06-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Not bagging on it, but what kind of game can one side play almost the entire 2nd half one man down to the other and neither team scores.

That is what happened today as the US played most of the 2nd half with one less player than Italy yet neither team scored.:(

|Zach|
06-17-2006, 10:30 PM
A whole thread for this eh?

Jenson71
06-17-2006, 10:31 PM
Would soccer be more exciting to some if a goal was 6 points instead of 1?

Spicy McHaggis
06-17-2006, 10:33 PM

Peh, Argentina just drops 6 on opponents the way it is now. No need to embarass their opponents further.

Bwana
06-17-2006, 10:34 PM

No, but if they let them throw and elbow here and there and chop block I may start watching it.

|Zach|
06-17-2006, 10:36 PM
No, but if they let them throw and elbow here and there and chop block I may start watching it.
The sport is pretty rough. Anyone who seems to say otherwise just flat out isn't watching it.

milkman

What part of "not bagging on it" did you not understand?

And no, it wouldn't make it more exciting, since the observation Jim made is that nobody ****ing scored.

Logical
A whole thread for this eh?Can you imagine what the score would be in hockey, basketball, lacrosse, or football if one side had to play almost an entire half a man short? You don't think that the fact that the US was able to hold Italy scoreless with one less man than them worthy of discussion?

Monkeylook4food
06-17-2006, 10:37 PM
If soccer had naked girls kissing I would watch.

Jenson71
06-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Rugby is a weird sport. UNI has a good women's rugby team, and I was watching some of a game of theirs. I don't know what the hell was going on, just looked like one big disorganized mess. Anyone understand rugby?

Jenson71
06-17-2006, 10:38 PM
What part of "not bagging on it" did you not understand?

And no, it wouldn't make it more exciting, since the observation Jim made is that nobody ****ing scored.

Um, what the hell are you going off on?

Halfcan
06-17-2006, 10:39 PM
If you analyze your question logically, the answer will appear.

Rugby
Lacrosse
field Hockey
Hockey
Gangbangs-oh you said games-sorry
checkers
chess
Battleship
Dodgeball
Hide and Seek
Indian ball
Basketball
WWE wrestling

Pants
Can you imagine what the score would be in hockey, basketball, lacrosse, or football if one side had to play almost an entire half a man short? You don't think that the US was able to hold Italy scoreless with one less man than them worthy of discussion?

Because both teams were short on people. Every player had to make up for the open gaps left by the missing players. You try running around for 90 minutes and come back and tell me how you feel. Both teams were exhausted and when you're tired, you can't really produce. Also, US clealry played better not to allow the goal beeing a man short.

|Zach|
Can you imagine what the score would be in hockey, basketball, lacrosse, or football if one side had to play almost an entire half a man short? You don't think that the US was able to hold Italy scoreless with one less man than them worthy of discussion?
Not really but its not that big of deal.

Its a pretty good look into how different the ebb and flow of the game of soccer is.

Its a different sport.

People love watching it and thinking comparing it to other sports for some reason.

milkman
06-17-2006, 10:41 PM
Um, what the hell are you going off on?

A little punkass dweeb.

Logical
06-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Would soccer be more exciting to some if a goal was 6 points instead of 1?I doubt it would change it much you have to enjoy the strategy to enjoy soccer and the artistry of some the shots even though they often fail. It is why I can only get into World Cup. I am no where near intelligent on the strategy.

Bwana
The sport is pretty rough. Anyone who seems to say otherwise just flat out isn't watching it.

I'll have to take your word for it Zach. I have watched it a few times and I just didn't see it. But as I said, I really haven't seen all that much. :hmmm:

Monkeylook4food
Rugby is a weird sport. UNI has a good women's rugby team, and I was watching some of a game of theirs. I don't know what the hell was going on, just looked like one big disorganized mess. Anyone understand rugby?

Are you sure you weren't watching Northwestern women's soccer?

Jenson71
06-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Hey Pitt Gorrilla, you're pretty popular, and I can't respond to your PM, due to the large amount of messages you have stored.

Pitt Gorilla
06-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Rugby is a weird sport. UNI has a good women's rugby team, and I was watching some of a game of theirs. I don't know what the hell was going on, just looked like one big disorganized mess. Anyone understand rugby?Check your PMs.

Jenson71
06-17-2006, 10:46 PM
A little punkass dweeb.

My post had nothing to do with Logical's opinions on soccer.

Logical
06-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Not really but its not that big of deal.

Its a pretty good look into how different the ebb and flow of the game of soccer is.

Its a different sport.

People love watching it and thinking comparing it to other sports for some reason.

Seriously I was not bagging on it. I am actually amazed and even though as Metrolike said both teams were tired from playing with a shortage of players you would still think it would be imossible not to score with a man advantage for almost 45 minutes. It has to be something unique in the strategy of the game that can allow that to happen.

milkman
06-17-2006, 10:50 PM
My post had nothing to do with Logical's opinions on soccer.

Then what was the point?

You asked a question that would be asked if somone had bashed the sport.

Jenson71
06-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Then what was the point?

I now see how you could have taken it that way, but that was not my intention at all.

luv
06-17-2006, 10:53 PM
Then what was the point?

Sounded more like a side thought to me. (Ducking to avoid blows)

milkman
06-17-2006, 10:53 PM
I now see how you could have taken it that way, but that was not my intention at all.

Then I apologize for being a dick.

Halfcan
06-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Seriously I was not bagging on it. I am actually amazed and even though as Metrolike said both teams were tired from playing with a shortage of players you would still think it would be imossible not to score with a man advantage for almost 45 minutes. It has to be something unique in the strategy of the game that can allow that to happen.

This is why soccer is boring to watch. And yes I am bagging on it-lol

luv
06-17-2006, 10:55 PM
This is why soccer is boring to watch. And yes I am bagging on it-lol
Probably because you don't know much about it. The same can be said of any sport.

Jenson71
06-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Then I apologize for being a dick.

Eh, go f*ck yourself.

:p

Halfcan
06-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Ranks up there with sitting in the hot sun and watching Nascar. Round and round lap 2,399 with only 4,000 to go. What and AWESOME pitstop-only 8.3 seconds-wow!!!

Logical
06-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Because both teams were short on people. Every player had to make up for the open gaps left by the missing players. You try running around for 90 minutes and come back and tell me how you feel. Both teams were exhausted and when you're tired, you can't really produce. Also, US clealry played better not to allow the goal beeing a man short.

I am guessing you grew up with the game. Is there something about the rules that make playing an offensive game when you have a man advantage more difficult than in other sports?

Halfcan
06-17-2006, 11:00 PM
Probably because you don't know much about it. The same can be said of any sport.

Actually I am an expert on the subject-as most any other.

I would rather watch my 6 year old in his games-very entertaining and funny-then Pro soccer that ends 1 to 0 after 6 hours. ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzz

Golf on TV is more exciting.

Monkeylook4food
06-17-2006, 11:02 PM
I am guessing you grew up with the game. Is there something about the rules that make playing an offensive game when you have a man advantage more difficult than in other sports?

I think it's the whole "offsides" thing. You can't have a player nearer the goalie than another defender unless you have be ball. As a forward, you must position yourself with a defender between yourself and the goalie or you will be penalized. Am I understanding that correctly or is that just a kiddie soccer rule?

Pitt Gorilla
Jenson, where do you live?

Jenson71
Hey Pitt Gorrilla, it says you have too many stored messages.

Monkeylook4food
06-17-2006, 11:07 PM
Jenson, where do you live?

He's way too young for you, Pitt.

penguinz
06-17-2006, 11:07 PM
I think it's the whole "offsides" thing. You can't have a player nearer the goalie than another defender unless you have be ball. As a forward, you must position yourself with a defender between yourself and the goalie or you will be penalized. Am I understanding that correctly or is that just a kiddie soccer rule?
You are basically correct. The offsides position is when any part of the attacking player's body, other than the hands or arms, is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent.

Pitt Gorilla
06-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Hey Pitt Gorrilla, it says you have too many stored messages.I cleared some out, I think.

Jenson71
06-17-2006, 11:13 PM
I cleared some out, I think.

It still says you need to clear out some space. :drool:

UNI in Iowa?!?

Yes, sir. The University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls. I'm from Waterloo. You went there?

Logical
06-17-2006, 11:13 PM
I think it's the whole "offsides" thing. You can't have a player nearer the goalie than another defender unless you have be ball. As a forward, you must position yourself with a defender between yourself and the goalie or you will be penalized. Am I understanding that correctly or is that just a kiddie soccer rule?Wow that is a game that truly is weighted against scoring if true.

Spicy McHaggis
06-17-2006, 11:20 PM
I would rather watch my 6 year old in his games-very entertaining and funny-then Pro soccer that ends 1 to 0 after 6 hours. ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzz

Golf on TV is more exciting.

Soccer games last 90 minutes. And it's 2 halves of 45 minutes of straight play uninterrupted by vaguely homosexual (NTTAWWT) Coors Light "Love Train" commercials.

Pitt Gorilla
06-17-2006, 11:20 PM
It still says you need to clear out some space. :drool:

Yes, sir. The University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls. I'm from Waterloo. You went there?It should work now.

Jenson71
06-17-2006, 11:32 PM
It should work now.

Okay, it's full again. :)

Halfcan
06-17-2006, 11:52 PM
Soccer games last 90 minutes. And it's 2 halves of 45 minutes of straight play uninterrupted by vaguely homosexual (NTTAWWT) Coors Light "Love Train" commercials.

I know-it just seems like 6 hours.

Kind of like reading one of my post-you only wasted a few seconds of your life-but it seems much worse.

morphius
06-18-2006, 12:10 AM
Wow that is a game that truly is weighted against scoring if true.
Yup, and if you watch occasionally the D players will jump forward right before the pass so that a player will be offsides. The one that caught me today is that even if you are past all the Defenders you still can't make a pass to someone else who has got past the Defenders as well.

Halfcan
06-18-2006, 12:16 AM
Okay, it's full again. :)

You and Pitt making a Love connection on a soccer thread-I hope one of you is a girl-lol

If not-I ain't judging.

Stinger
06-18-2006, 12:31 AM
Yup, and if you watch occasionally the D players will jump forward right before the pass so that a player will be offsides. The one that caught me today is that even if you are past all the Defenders you still can't make a pass to someone else who has got past the Defenders as well.Only if the player is front of the play. If a player goes down the sidelines (player 1) and his teammate is behind the ball (player 2). And the defenser that is guarding him (Player 3) falls down. And player 1 passed the ball to player 2 who is behind the play, Player 2 is not offisides as long as he is behind the ball. And Player 1 is not off sides because he is no longer involved in the play and is in an offside position which is not an infraction.

X - Player 2

y - Player 3

_____________X- Player 1 _____________________

If not for the off sides rule it would be more like basketball and cherry picking everything. Can you imagine a game with out defense, oh wait we are Chiefs fans. :D

sedated
06-18-2006, 12:41 AM
cricket is the weirdest sport on earth

Stinger
06-18-2006, 12:43 AM
Oh and speaking of weird stuff in soccer, went to the Wizards game tonight agaist Chicago. 45 seconds left Chicago just let in a cheap goal to KC, and is driving forward. Mid-fielder takes a shot from top of the box keeper dives and gets a hand on it seemingly just outside the post. Next thing you know the ball is rolling in the goal. Chicago is celbrating but KC is lining up for a corner kick a compaling to the ref and pointing to the net. Head ref looks to the Side official, Side official looks like he is indicating a goal. Next thing you know head ref goes by the goal and then points to the corner flag, indicating a corner kick. Chicago players go ballistic, apperantly there was a hole in the net. The KC keeper made the save and defelected wide but still went throught the whole in the net so it looked like it still went in. ROFL

Needless to say the referees actually walked out of the stadium with security and the Chicago team was pissed.

tk13
06-18-2006, 12:56 AM
I'll agree with the offside thing. That's the rule that really confuses the daylight out of me. In hockey it's easy for me to understand, but I still have a hard time grasping it in soccer for some reason. I'm not a huge fan of the sport, although I'll watch some of the World Cup because I enjoy these international competitions. I would say I do find that way more exciting than an MLS match. Same reason I watch the Olympics.

sedated
06-18-2006, 01:07 AM
I can watch the world cup because of the intesity, the passion of the fans AND players.

that makes all the difference in sports

i'd watch monkeys play dodgeball with poo in the proper atmosphere.

Ari Chi3fs
06-18-2006, 01:13 AM
Today was teh first complete game of Soccer that I have ever watched. I enjoyed the game, but yeah, the offsides thing seems gay. If they eliminated that rule, wow... it would be way more interesting. 3-5 more goals a game, i bet.

sedated
06-18-2006, 01:13 AM
I apologize for being a dick.

:hmmm:

I might have found my new sig

Rausch
06-18-2006, 01:39 AM

No, it's a dogfight seperated by numerous puma commercials in spanish that ****ing no one understands bringing up about 20 years of soccer history that even fewer people understand...

UKMike
06-18-2006, 03:12 AM
Today was teh first complete game of Soccer that I have ever watched. I enjoyed the game, but yeah, the offsides thing seems gay. If they eliminated that rule, wow... it would be way more interesting. 3-5 more goals a game, i bet.

It would totally change the sport if there were no offside.

CHIEF4EVER
06-18-2006, 03:32 AM
The sport is perfect the way it is. It requires the ultimate in teamwork, skill and conditioning.

Rausch
06-18-2006, 03:43 AM
The sport is perfect the way it is. It requires-

WHAT?

There's just that........SOMETHING........The US can't seem to find.

We have the speed, leg, talent, experience, WHY can't we put it all together?...

Taco John
06-18-2006, 04:12 AM
*YAWN*

Rausch
06-18-2006, 04:37 AM
*YAWN*

Have I told you, lately, that I need to kick yer frito ass?...

Count Zarth
06-18-2006, 06:51 AM

No. It would be more exciting if there were other things to get excited about than just scoring and goalies.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-18-2006, 06:59 AM
The sport is perfect the way it is. It requires the ultimate in teamwork, skill and conditioning.

:shake:

DJay23
06-18-2006, 07:28 AM
Allow me to draw an analogy:

Sports like basketball, our football, baseball, and to an extent hockey, where scoring occurs quite often are like one night stands. You don't develop a relationship with any one conquest, with any one goal. You meet her, bang her, and move on to the next one.

Soccer is like a long drawn our love affair. Where she plays hard to get, but you persist. She withdraws and you persist. You withdraw and she presses. Until eventually you meet and finally consummate a long, intricately woven, and beautiful love affair.

Or something like that.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-18-2006, 07:40 AM

Sports like basketball, our football, baseball, and to an extent hockey, where scoring occurs quite often are like one night stands. You don't develop a relationship with any one conquest, with any one goal. You meet her, bang her, and move on to the next one.

Soccer is like a long drawn our love affair. Where she plays hard to get, but you persist. She withdraws and you persist. You withdraw and she presses. Until eventually you meet and finally consummate a long, intricately woven, and beautiful love affair.

Or something like that.

Or she's a stuck up broad with nothing interesting about her whatsoever :shrug:

andoman
06-18-2006, 07:45 AM
I'll never enjoyed soccer. I think it's because of the restrictions on using your hands and arms. Football, rugby, hockey, lacrosse - those are fun to watch (and play). I've seen enough of it to respect the conditioning and skill required, but its still boring.

Baby Lee
06-18-2006, 07:46 AM
Not 'unless you have the ball.'
The offsides position is measured by whether you have either two opponents, OR the ball, at least as close, or closer to the endline than you are.
Offsides is not penalized unless, at the most recent time the ball is played by a teammate you are in offsides position and involved in active play [which could be receiving a pass, blocking the path of an opponent, or positioning yourself for a rebound].

memyselfI
06-18-2006, 07:49 AM

Or something like that.

Soccer is jouney not destination.

Perhaps you enjoyed my marathon vs. quickie sex analogy.

Sam Hall
06-18-2006, 08:25 AM
I don't understand why the media is latching onto this World Cup. They never have before. Makes it more difficult for people like me who want to ignore the whole thing. Soccer is for people who aren't big enough or good enough to play real football.

Ultra Peanut
06-18-2006, 08:46 AM
No, but if they let them throw and elbow here and there and chop block I may start watching it.Well, there are elbows, but if you draw red, you get a red:

Ultra Peanut
06-18-2006, 08:49 AM
I don't understand why the media is latching onto this World Cup. They never have before. Makes it more difficult for people like me who want to ignore the whole thing. Soccer is for people who aren't big enough or good enough to play real football.Good call.

Ultra Peanut
06-18-2006, 08:53 AM
Rugby is a weird sport. UNI has a good women's rugby team, and I was watching some of a game of theirs. I don't know what the hell was going on, just looked like one big disorganized mess. Anyone understand rugby?Rugby is great, if you understand even a little bit of the rules and terminology. It's like Soccer did the deed with American Football and out popped a surprisingly awesome bouncing baby sport.

Which makes sense, since our football is a descendent of rugby, which is a descendent of the OG football.

Ultra Peanut
06-18-2006, 08:58 AM
*YAWN*Well said. You don't care SO MUCH!!!!!!!!

morphius
06-18-2006, 09:49 AM
I don't understand why the media is latching onto this World Cup. They never have before. Makes it more difficult for people like me who want to ignore the whole thing. Soccer is for people who aren't big enough or good enough to play real football.
You mean like Dante Hall?

morphius
06-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Only if the player is front of the play. If a player goes down the sidelines (player 1) and his teammate is behind the ball (player 2). And the defenser that is guarding him (Player 3) falls down. And player 1 passed the ball to player 2 who is behind the play, Player 2 is not offisides as long as he is behind the ball. And Player 1 is not off sides because he is no longer involved in the play and is in an offside position which is not an infraction.

X - Player 2

y - Player 3

_____________X- Player 1 _____________________

If not for the off sides rule it would be more like basketball and cherry picking everything. Can you imagine a game with out defense, oh wait we are Chiefs fans. :D
Okay, still stupid that you can't pass to a guy in front of you if you have been able to menauver yourself passed everyone.

I like Hockeys offside better and it would lead to less stoppage of play.

burt
06-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Or she's a stuck up broad with nothing interesting about her whatsoever :shrug:

no...she has great tits...

burt
06-18-2006, 10:59 AM

Dude I am 6' and 262....played soccer @ 210 for 20 years.......domer played well @ 230, and chisled.......your statement is fuggin stoopid.... Please try harder to ignore soccer...your ignorance won't be so obvious.....

jspchief
06-18-2006, 11:05 AM
A whole thread for this eh?Yet here we are 6 pages later...

Sam Hall
06-18-2006, 11:11 AM
You mean like Dante Hall?

That was rediculous. I'm talking about the wusses and their soccer moms. Football is too rough for them.

burt
06-18-2006, 11:16 AM
That was rediculous. I'm talking about the wusses and their soccer moms. Football is too rough for them.

YOU ARE AND IDIOT

with a cool avatar.

wusses post on the coalition....

Sam Hall
06-18-2006, 11:26 AM
YOU ARE AND IDIOT

with a cool avatar.

wusses post on the coalition....

I'm an idiot? I'm not the one that likes soccer :LOL:

jspchief
06-18-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't think size is the issue, but what Big Red Chief is saying doesn't miss the mark by much.

I think it's an issue of athleticism. In the US, the "big 4" are still getting the best athletes. There are probably guys playing in the NFL, MLB, NBA, or even the NHL that may have been better soccer players than some of our world cup team members. Soccer may have the youth participation, but I don't think you'll find the great young athletes that are saying they want to grow up and be a soccer star over a football or basketball star.

Soccer is going to have to grow in popularity (in terms of spectators) in the US before it can pull from the same talent pool as the other pro sports. Until it carries the same payday and hero status, it's going to lose out on the best athletes this country has to offer.

burt
06-18-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm an idiot? I'm not the one that likes soccer :LOL:

No, you are the one the insults the players of the MOST popular sport on the planet ....... Besides, you'd like it if you could understand it.....have some one explain it to you....perhaps an adult.....

burt
06-18-2006, 11:36 AM
I don't think size is the issue, but what Big Red Chief is saying doesn't miss the mark by much.

I think it's an issue of athleticism. In the US, the "big 4" are still getting the best athletes. There are probably guys playing in the NFL, MLB, NBA, or even the NHL that may have been better soccer players than some of our world cup team members. Soccer may have the youth participation, but I don't think you'll find the great young athletes that are saying they want to grow up and be a soccer star over a football or basketball star.

Soccer is going to have to grow in popularity (in terms of spectators) in the US before it can pull from the same talent pool as the other pro sports. Until it carries the same payday and hero status, it's going to lose out on the best athletes this country has to offer.

jsp, While I agree that the "BIG 4" currently have the majority of the best atheletes, there are many great young atheletes saying that they want to grow up and be a soccer star. And Soccer does have some great all around atheletes, even if the majority are in the "BIG4".

Soccer has gained in popularity, according to the latest Neilsen ratings for the World Cup. And the paydays are increasing constantly, but currently, the best paydays are abroad.

CHIEF4EVER
06-18-2006, 12:00 PM
WHAT?

There's just that........SOMETHING........The US can't seem to find.

We have the speed, leg, talent, experience, WHY can't we put it all together?...

Because:

1) It isn't marketed as it is in the rest of the world.
2) Our youth movement isn't being developed as it should be.
3) The quality of the trainers at the club level (where it counts the most for player development) is average.
4) The USSF refuses to get a top notch trainer for the national team (read: a foreign trainer like Scolari, etc...).

Pants
06-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Okay, still stupid that you can't pass to a guy in front of you if you have been able to menauver yourself passed everyone.

I like Hockeys offside better and it would lead to less stoppage of play.

No, no, you can do that. If you maneuvered past everyone, you can pass the ball to a guy in front of you. You can't pass the ball to the guy in front of you if there are defenders between you and none in front of him.

----- You -------

--- Defender ----

- Your Teammate -

----- Goal -------

In this scenario, if you pass to your teammate over the defender, it'll be an offside.

--- Defenders ---

----- You -------

- Your Teammate -

----- Goal --------

In this scenario, you can pass to him without him being in the offside. This almost never happens. Usually you and your teammate will be on the same line.

Baby Lee
06-18-2006, 02:02 PM
No, no, you can do that. If you maneuvered past everyone, you can pass the ball to a guy in front of you. You can't pass the ball to the guy in front of you if there are defenders between you and none in front of him.

----- You -------

--- Defender ----

- Your Teammate -

----- Goal -------

In this scenario, if you pass to your teammate over the defender, it'll be an offside.

--- Defenders ---

----- You -------

- Your Teammate -

----- Goal --------

In this scenario, you can pass to him without him being in the offside. This almost never happens. Usually you and your teammate will be on the same line.
Wrong, Ghana blew a scoring chance against the Chech's on that very scenario.

Mr. Laz
06-18-2006, 02:08 PM
i got admonished yesterday for suggest that the offside rule was goofy.

i'm such a short-sighted,spoiled american

it's the equivalent of telling a NFL wide receiver that they can't go deep and try to catch a pass beyond the deepest defender.

i'm isn't that want defense is for?

i imagine there would be 2 or 3 more goals scored per game if they actually had to defend the whole field instead of just around the ball. :shrug:

burt
06-18-2006, 02:15 PM
i got admonished yesterday for suggest that the offside rule was goofy.

i'm such a short-sighted,spoiled american

it's the equivalent of telling a NFL wide receiver that they can't go deep and try to catch a pass beyond the deepest defender.

i'm isn't that want defense is for?

i imagine there would be 2 or 3 more goals scored per game if they actually had to defend the whole field instead of just around the ball. :shrug:

Laz, you short-sighted spoiled fag american......I threw the fag part in for good measure..... You may be logically correct, but some things....just can't be changed....

Pants
06-18-2006, 02:19 PM

That's because he was standing behind the defenders' line when the ball carrier passed the line. If they both ran out from the line, he could freely pass the ball forward.

Mr. Laz
06-18-2006, 02:27 PM
but some things....just can't be changed....

that's what they tell me

morphius
06-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Exactly the call I saw, made no sense!

morphius
06-18-2006, 03:14 PM
That's because he was standing behind the defenders' line when the ball carrier passed the line. If they both ran out from the line, he could freely pass the ball forward.
They all seemed to be beyond the D, the only player between the player and the goal was the goalie, with a Ghana player to each side leading him. There didn't appear to be a czech equal to any of them on the field, and it wasn't offsides when he got beyond the D, just was when he made the pass.

ChiefFripp
06-18-2006, 03:27 PM
The "offsides" rule, ruins it for me.

Ultra Peanut
06-18-2006, 03:41 PM
If the offside rule didn't exist, there would be no reason for players like Koller and Toni to ever leave the 18-yard box except for defensive set pieces.

A goalkeeper's job is hard enough without giving the other team's striker free reign to hang around him all the time.

Saying the offside rule ruins soccer for you is like saying goaltending ruins basketball, the crease or offsides kills hockey as a spectator sport, or pass interference ruins football. And hey, that's fine. If it's not for you, it's not for you. That's why there are so many different things to suit so many different tastes.

morphius
06-18-2006, 03:45 PM
If the offside rule didn't exist, there would be no reason for players like Koller and Toni to ever leave the 18-yard box except for defensive set pieces.

A goalkeeper's job is hard enough without giving the other team's striker free reign to hang around him all the time.

Saying the offside rule ruins soccer for you is like saying goaltending ruins basketball, the crease or offsides kills hockey as a spectator sport, or pass interference ruins football. And hey, that's fine. If it's not for you, it's not for you. That's why there are so many different things to suit so many different tastes.
Thats why you add a line, like in hockey, and you can't pass the line until the ball does. Keeps people from standing at the goal, but gives the D an oppertunity as well.

|Zach|
06-18-2006, 03:51 PM
There would be less scoring, as the forwards would tend to stay way up near the goal, and, in turn, the defenders with them. Because of this, the field would become too spread out, and the midfielders would become exhausted due to the huge amount of running involved. Also, kickball would become much more prevalent as well.

Demonpenz
06-18-2006, 03:53 PM
doesn't the other team get the ball on offsides. I thought it was weird when i first started playing hockey that you really don't get penalized for being offsides. Atleast give the puck to the other team on their end.

Ultra Peanut
06-18-2006, 04:03 PM
doesn't the other team get the ball on offsides. I thought it was weird when i first started playing hockey that you really don't get penalized for being offsides. Atleast give the puck to the other team on their end.You know, that is pretty ****ing dumb.

"Bad doggie! Now you have a 50-50 shot at getting the puck back and trying again!"

Thats why you add a line, like in hockey, and you can't pass the line until the ball does. Keeps people from standing at the goal, but gives the D an oppertunity as well.It works in hockey, but it would create a bottleneck and totally screw up the flow of a soccer game, in addition to stifling a lot of the creativity.

DJay23
06-18-2006, 04:07 PM

Well stated. Some people just won't buy into it.

I seriously think it's a matter of attention span. Some people just can't be entertained by something that is long and drawn out and must instead take it in short bursts.

Mr. Laz
06-18-2006, 04:10 PM
I seriously think it's a matter of attention span. Some people just can't be entertained by something that is long and drawn out and must instead take it in short bursts.
just can't resist taking a little shot at anyone who doesn't like soccer

yep... you're just so much more mature and have the intelligence to appreciate soccer ........ the rest of us are just uncouth "americans"

DJay23
06-18-2006, 04:20 PM
just can't resist taking a little shot at anyone who doesn't like soccer

yep... you're just so much more mature and have the intelligence to appreciate soccer ........ the rest of us are just uncouth "americans"
Having a short attention span has nothing to do with intelligence. You can be incredibly intelligent and not be able to hold your focus on something for more than a half an hour.

I was merely putting it out there as a possibility that the reason so many in our culture don't like soccer is because we are bred from day one to go, go, go. Make more money, work more hours, buy bigger toys and what not and that perhaps in other counties, this is a less common trait. There was no negative intent. You provided that ya damn self.

Mr. Laz
06-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Having a short attention span has nothing to do with intelligence. You can be incredibly intelligent and not be able to hold your focus on something for more than a half an hour.

I was merely putting it out there as a possibility that the reason so many in our culture don't like soccer is because we are bred from day one to go, go, go. Make more money, work more hours, buy bigger toys and what not and that perhaps in other counties, this is a less common trait. There was no negative intent. You provided that ya damn self.

i don't know about anyone else ... but when people imply that "americans have a short attention span and that's why they don't like it"

that's an implied insult ... no other way that i can see it.

not that i really care ...... i won't watch soccer again until the next world cup. It's more about wanting my country to perform well than actually giving a crap about soccer.

i can tell ya that there are some seriously snooty soccer fans out there though.

anytime somebody doesn't like soccer it automatically must because of personality flaw or something ...... it can't be because soccer just sucks.

Ultra Peanut
06-18-2006, 04:55 PM
As a matter of fact, we're just better than you.

Demonpenz
06-18-2006, 05:10 PM
the logo should say "USA SOCCER. GIT R DUN!"

burt
06-18-2006, 05:41 PM
i don't know about anyone else ... but when people imply that "americans have a short attention span and that's why they don't like it"

that's an implied insult ... no other way that i can see it..

Nah, it was an implied insult when I threw in the Rump Ranger comment. :)

not that i really care ...... i won't watch soccer again until the next world cup. It's more about wanting my country to perform well than actually giving a crap about soccer...

While I played soccer for years, I tend to MOSTLY get amped up for World Cup myself. The MSL has no passion...or very little. So I understand your position on that.

i can tell ya that there are some seriously snooty soccer fans out there though....

I have been called MANY things...seriously snooty....never! Now if YOU want to imply an isult...throw in a fat, rotund, or violently ugly comment. Those are much more in line.

anytime somebody doesn't like soccer it automatically must because of personality flaw or something ...... it can't be because soccer just sucks.

You are finally getting it!!!

DJay23
06-18-2006, 06:00 PM

that's an implied insult ... no other way that i can see it.

not that i really care ...... i won't watch soccer again until the next world cup. It's more about wanting my country to perform well than actually giving a crap about soccer.

i can tell ya that there are some seriously snooty soccer fans out there though.

however you want to see it, i could care less at this point. i certainly won't disparage anyone. at least i didn;t feel i was. What you call "personality flaw" i see more as a product of our surroundings. Not saying it's bad, just looking for reasons.

Besides, far be it from me to rail on a fellow :KU:

DJay23
06-18-2006, 06:02 PM
By the way, I have the attention span of a chipmunk, so i'm not sure why I like soccer.

No, I'm not gay.