PDA

View Full Version : Dayton Moore: Prospects will not skip Omaha

alnorth
06-18-2006, 11:47 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/14844292.htm

Alex Gordon and Billy Butler will have to prove themselves in Class AAA before making it to KC.

HOUSTON | Don’t look for third baseman Alex Gordon to appear anytime soon in the Royals’ lineup. Nor outfielder Billy Butler. The days of prospects regularly bypassing Class AAA Omaha appear over.

“They’re still in Double-A,” general manager Dayton Moore said, “and I’ve always been a firm believer that it’s important for guys to move throughout your system in a very natural way.

“And that natural way is going to Triple-A and going through the grinds of the Pacific Coast League and some of the adjustments they’ll have to make against a different style of pitcher. That’s always been my belief.”

That marks the first evidence of a firm philosophical change since Moore replaced Allard Baird. Under Baird, the Royals regularly promoted prospects from Class AA Wichita while preferring to stock Omaha with older, borderline veterans as a taxi squad of sorts for the big-league club.

“It’s a different style of play at Triple-A,” Moore said. “It’s a different mind-set that a player has at Triple-A. It’s an older-player league. It’s a different style of baseball, and (a prospect) needs that experience to draw from later in their careers.”

Moore did not rule out exceptions but said specifically that he anticipated neither Gordon nor Butler is likely to skip Omaha.

“Last year in Atlanta,” Moore said, “we were forced to do some things that were uncharacteristic for us. We had to bring up a lot of guys from Double-A — Jeff Francouer and Brian McCann and Pete Orr.

“But that was not the plan for them. It just happened to be accelerated because of injuries and needs on the major-league club.”

The Royals are, instead, studying whether Gordon and/or Butler should be promoted to Omaha. Gordon entered Saturday with a .305 batting average at Wichita with nine homers and 30 RBIs in 62 games. Butler was batting .318 with 10 and 48 in 68 games.

“We’re going to discuss that,” Moore said. “That’s on my plate to talk about this week. I’m going to be heading out to the minor leagues next week, once we go on our next away trip.

“I plan on getting out not for the purpose of making that evaluation or making that final decision. But I need to lay eyes on them and, generally, get a feel and a sense of what we have (in the farm system), and when players project to participate and be competitive in Kansas City.”

Wow! Players will actually have to prove they can play in Omaha? We wont rush our best draft picks straight from Wichita to KC?!? What a strange and wild concept!

CoMoChief
06-18-2006, 11:52 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/14844292.htm

Wow! Players will actually have to prove they can play in Omaha? We wont rush our best draft picks straight from Wichita to KC?!? What a strange and wild concept!

I still dont think we'll win unless we (well Glass and Co.) are willing to spend $$$$.

FringeNC
06-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Actually, quite a few teams promote straight from AA. For us, I don't really think it makes sense. We'll only have these guys for six years, so make sure they are ready before you bring them up. And you might not want to call them up next year (assuming they are ready) until after June 1 or whenever the deadline is for counting as a year of service time.

FringeNC
06-18-2006, 12:03 PM
I still dont think we'll win unless we (well Glass and Co.) are willing to spend $$$$.

Oakland and Minnesota haven't had problems making the post-season with relatively small payrolls. We'll never have a dynasty, but it's a poor excuse as to why we suck so bad.

milkman
06-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Oakland and Minnesota haven't had problems making the post-season with relatively small payrolls. We'll never have a dynasty, but it's a poor excuse as to why we suck so bad.

It's not all about the payroll.

I haven't followed the Royals closely, but from what I read here, the Glasses cut into the budget for scouting and development.

You can't win, in any sport, unless you draft well, and develop from within.

Halfcan
06-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Glass is an assclown.

Lancetastic
06-18-2006, 01:20 PM
Glass is an assclown.

What insight! And quite on topic!

mikey23545
06-18-2006, 01:23 PM
A Glassclown?

milkman
06-18-2006, 01:23 PM
What insight! And quite on topic!

While it may not be insightful, it is on the mark, and on topic.

Demonpenz
06-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Everyday that beltran trade looks worse and worse.

chief2000
06-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Beltran owned by Bora$.

Sure-Oz
06-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Sounds good to me, wait till they are ready to go, and call them up. I think they could probably come up but he's right everythings different in AAA, it shouldn't hurt.

Mr. Laz
06-18-2006, 03:00 PM
good ... keep all the prospect down on the farm as long as possible so their free agency timer doesn't start.

buildup the talent ... fixed the farm system

boost the team with free agents until you're ready to make your move.

ImAWalkingCorpse
06-18-2006, 03:07 PM
That is exactly right, the farm system and scouting departments are what truely ails this organization.

ChiefsCountry
06-18-2006, 03:18 PM
Also if you leave the stud prospects down in Omaha and Wichita, the fans their will like the guys hopefully than come up to KC to watch them in the bigs. Not to mention other cities that they play in like Des Moines, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Springfield, etc.

Mr. Laz
06-18-2006, 05:07 PM
i don't think we should try away veteran talent at the end of this year either ... except for maybe sweeney... he should be traded for a bag of doritos to get his salary off our books.

but keep the veterans and add more next year to boot ... time to spend money to break this cycle of losing.

then in a couple years bring the young guys up.

when they are ready and when the major league roster isn't poisoned with a defeated attitude.

CHENZ A!
06-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Glass is an assclown.

While I admit that since Glass took over the team he has done little right, if it weren't for him stepping up when noone else would, the Royals probably wouldn't even still be playing baseball, and definetly not in KC. So I'll just hope that he has learned some things the last few yrs, and that Moore can turn us around.

beavis
06-18-2006, 07:31 PM
i don't think we should try away veteran talent at the end of this year either ... except for maybe sweeney... he should be traded for a bag of doritos to get his salary off our books.
As much as I'd like to see it happen, I give it about a snowballs chance in hell. I'm starting to doubt he'll play again this year. Even if we could get someone to take him off our hands, we'd end up having to eat a significant portion of his salary, which I guess wouldn't be that big of a deal anyway, given the production we are currently getting out of him.

Sure-Oz
06-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Sweeney was just moved from the 15 day DL to the 60 day DL, atleast he is in the dugout and in uniform. Not sure if he'll be back this year but I hope so, he has been a real nice guy the last few times we went to games and signed and took pics with my friends.

beavis
06-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Sweeney was just moved from the 15 day DL to the 60 day DL, atleast he is in the dugout and in uniform. Not sure if he'll be back this year but I hope so, he has been a real nice guy the last few times we went to games and signed and took pics with my friends.
He's an awesome guy. I just don't think he has much baseball left in him. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he retired after this year.

Sam Hall
06-18-2006, 10:14 PM
This is all about the money. Since Alex Gordon played at Nebraska, it makes perfect sense to send him to Omaha. The Omaha Roylas will sell out every game that Gordon plays there. I can't blame the organization for this decision.

FringeNC
06-19-2006, 12:15 AM
This is all about the money. Since Alex Gordon played at Nebraska, it makes perfect sense to send him to Omaha. The Omaha Roylas will sell out every game that Gordon plays there. I can't blame the organization for this decision.

One problem with that theory -- I could be wrong, but I am fairly confident that the Kansas City Royals see none of the Omaha Royals ticket revenue.

Sam Hall
06-19-2006, 12:25 AM
One problem with that theory -- I could be wrong, but I am fairly confident that the Kansas City Royals see none of the Omaha Royals ticket revenue.

The organization makes money either way.

Valiant
06-19-2006, 02:37 AM
Actually, quite a few teams promote straight from AA. For us, I don't really think it makes sense. We'll only have these guys for six years, so make sure they are ready before you bring them up. And you might not want to call them up next year (assuming they are ready) until after June 1 or whenever the deadline is for counting as a year of service time.

Yes but those teams usually have a staff ace and some good veteran players at the big league level to rely on, here it is being thrown too the wolves at the big leagues, even though i am still happy with Sanders and the two white guys whos names i cannot spell or pronounce...

Valiant
06-19-2006, 02:41 AM
While I admit that since Glass took over the team he has done little right, if it weren't for him stepping up when noone else would, the Royals probably wouldn't even still be playing baseball, and definetly not in KC. So I'll just hope that he has learned some things the last few yrs, and that Moore can turn us around.

I am starting to believe that was just a rumor, there were other groups that offered more money that were local for the royals. The other owners and the commish handpicked Glass for the team and are regretting it later.. I wish Miles Prentice would have gotten the team, at least he cared about baseball and not just owning the team to make money...

Still pisses me off, rich people do not get into sports franchises to make money, they get in it to win championships ala Cuban and Stienbrenner, if you make money then great... Hell the Yankees make all there money on the YES network and merchandising, not ****ing with payroll and screwing your fans over...

ImAWalkingCorpse
06-19-2006, 07:35 AM
He's an awesome guy. I just don't think he has much baseball left in him. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he retired after this year.

No way he retires, the players association won't let it happen, remember how earlier in the year he mentioned retirement. Word got back to the players association and they quickly had him recant his statement. We are saddled with his salary and he has no real need to get back to playing baseball. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play again this year but starts off next year only to strain his back 10 games into the year and miss the rest of the season and then retire.

penguinz
06-19-2006, 09:39 AM
No way he retires, the players association won't let it happen, remember how earlier in the year he mentioned retirement. Word got back to the players association and they quickly had him recant his statement. We are saddled with his salary and he has no real need to get back to playing baseball. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play again this year but starts off next year only to strain his back 10 games into the year and miss the rest of the season and then retire.
dumb

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 09:56 AM

Miles Prentice ring a bell Also Glass took Brett out of the running in one way or form.

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 09:57 AM

What!? NO NACHOS!!!!

beavis
06-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Miles Prentice ring a bell Also Glass took Brett out of the running in one way or form.
Out of the running for what? The GM job? Brett said he had zero interest in having a full time job in any capacity. Not to mention that if he did, it would be one of the dumbest hires in baseball history.

I really wish Miles Prentice had gotten the club. Then all of our problems would be solved! :rolleyes:

beavis
06-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Parnoid much?

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Out of the running for what? The GM job? Brett said he had zero interest in having a full time job in any capacity. Not to mention that if he did, it would be one of the dumbest hires in baseball history.

I really wish Miles Prentice had gotten the club. Then all of our problems would be solved! :rolleyes:

Pay attention he was talking about buying the team.

morphius
06-19-2006, 10:37 AM
I am starting to believe that was just a rumor, there were other groups that offered more money that were local for the royals. The other owners and the commish handpicked Glass for the team and are regretting it later.. I wish Miles Prentice would have gotten the team, at least he cared about baseball and not just owning the team to make money...

Still pisses me off, rich people do not get into sports franchises to make money, they get in it to win championships ala Cuban and Stienbrenner, if you make money then great... Hell the Yankees make all there money on the YES network and merchandising, not ****ing with payroll and screwing your fans over...
Yup, and when the guy who takes over the team was the head of the committee to waste K's money and is somehow favored by said committee... Well, something stinks.

As for the move to using AAA more, its a good idea, but only if they make sure to upgrade the coaching so that the players improve instead of rot.

PunkinDrublic
06-19-2006, 11:30 AM
I like this move by Moore. It doesn't mean the Royals are going to automatically turn things around but it's a good place to start. Right now the new management should be looking over the way the team is run, pick apart and change what is obviously not working. Hopefully this is the beginning of many new changes in the team.

beavis
06-19-2006, 11:47 AM
So you think Brett should have bought the team? You're making even less sense.

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 11:54 AM

I did not say that. I just said Glass somewhere along those times talked him out of it.

Also he had other people with him buying the team.

Why do you think Brett would have been a bad owner>

Cochise
06-19-2006, 11:55 AM
You're making even less sense.

I'm not sure that is possible.

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm not sure that is possible.
ROFL

Whatever.

WilliamTheIrish
06-19-2006, 12:03 PM
I did not say that. I just said Glass somewhere along those times talked him out of it.

Link.

beavis
06-19-2006, 01:44 PM

I'm not even sure how to respond to this. At no point was Brett even a candidate to own the team, so I'm not sure what Glass talked him out of. He may have been a part of the 100 person ownership group that Prentice had formed, but I can't remember now that's it been so long ago.

I'm sick of the whole Glass sucks debate anyway. It's tired and completely irrelevant anyway.

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 01:56 PM
I'm not even sure how to respond to this. At no point was Brett even a candidate to own the team, so I'm not sure what Glass talked him out of. He may have been a part of the 100 person ownership group that Prentice had formed, but I can't remember now that's it been so long ago.

I'm sick of the whole Glass sucks debate anyway. It's tired and completely irrelevant anyway.

9:37 PM 4/24/1998
Struggling Royals long for Brett era
By T.R. SULLIVAN
Fort Worth Star Telegram
George Brett will be eligible for the Hall of Fame next summer, and his election is considered a lock.

Brett is a former most valuable player, a three-time batting champion and 13-time All-Star who finished his career with a .305 batting average and 3,154 hits.

He is the greatest player in Kansas City Royals history, but he retired in 1993, and the franchise still misses him.

Ewing Kauffman owned the Royals from their inception as an expansion team in 1969. He made billions of dollars in the pharmaceutical industry and poured much of that money into the city and the baseball team.

He gave "lifetime contracts" to Brett, Willie Wilson and Dan Quisenberry. He gave pitcher David Cone a three-year, $18 million contract in 1992 at a time when other small-market teams were sounding a retreat. Largely because of Kauffman's deep pockets, the Royals remained competitive year after year.

But he died in 1993, and the franchise still misses him.

Kauffman and Brett were the cornerstones of a once-proud American League franchise that is threatening to slip into disarray. The Royals, who begin a three-game series with the Rangers tonight, don't lack for effort, but their unsettled ownership situation and three consecutive losing seasons have had a severe effect on attendance and left them with an unsettled future.

The Royals, being run by the Kauffman Foundation, are looking for an owner. On the field, general manager Herk Robinson said, "We lack a legitimate superstar, one of those guys who can carry the club on his back for weeks. We don't have one and we're not able to sign one, so I'm not sure how we'll find one."

In other words, they're still trying to replace Brett and Kauffman.

Brett, a vice president with the Royals, is among those who have emerged as potential candidates to buy the team. He and brother Bobby Brett have formed one group, and Kansas City Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt is the other leading candidate.

Club president Mike Herman has asked potential buyers to submit a nonbinding bid by the end of April. He hopes to select a buyer by the All-Star break and have the selection approved at the owners meetings in September.

"Our first priority is to secure ownership that will keep major-league baseball in Kansas City," Herman said.

Whoever winds up owning the team will have a difficult time returning the Royals to the level of 1976-85, when they won six division titles, two American League pennants and the 1985 World Series.

During those glory years, Kansas City was a great baseball town. The Royals had a great stadium, a productive farm system and strong community support. They had 13 winning seasons from 1975 to 1991 and drew at least 2.1 million fans in 11 of 14 seasons from 1978 to '91.

But the decline began after Brett retired, Kauffman died and the 1994 strike. The Royals went from 64-51 at the time of the strike to 70-74 in 1995 followed by two last-place finishes in 1996-97. The Royals have averaged less than 20,000 fans per game the past three seasons, something they had not done since 1975. They averaged almost 31,000 a game in 1989 when they won 92 games and had Bo Jackson in the outfield.

Last year was extremely disappointing. The Royals thought they had a contender when they acquired Jeff King and Jay Bell from Pittsburgh, Jermaine Dye from Atlanta and Chili Davis from the Angels. They had given pitcher Kevin Appier a three-year, $15 million contract extension the year before. They had a promising group of young players led by outfielder Johnny Damon and pitchers Jose Rosado, Glendon Rusch and Jim Pittsley.

Herman predicted that the Royals would win 92 games. Instead they went 67-94, and manager Bob Boone was fired in midseason and replaced by Tony Muser.

"It was the worst year in franchise history, and it had nothing to do with our payroll," Robinson said. "When you see a bunch of underachievers, it hurts."

Now the Royals are finding it difficult to pick up the pieces.

King and third baseman Dean Palmer were re-signed, but Bell and Davis were lost to free agency. Appier broke his collarbone in the off-season, then sustained a shoulder injury in spring training and is out until at least the All-Star break.

Jeff Conine, picked up in the Florida Marlins' fire sale, is also on the disabled list. Dye, a huge disappointment, is in the minor leagues while Michael Tucker, the guy they gave up for him, is playing regularly in Atlanta.

"Losing Appier and Dye hurt," Robinson said. "That's 25 percent of our payroll. We just don't have the depth with our payroll to make up for those losses."

The young pitchers, considered the key to the future, have also been disappointing. Rusch is in the rotation, but Rosado, an All-Star last year, and Pittsley, a former No. 1 draft pick, have been sent to the bullpen.

"Some of our young players have to do a better job," Robinson said. "But from an attitude standpoint, I think things are much better this year. Guys are working hard, and we've got a great manager in Tony Muser. I wish we had him a long time ago. He's got guys playing hard. But right now we're inconsistent. We'll have some good games, then some bad games."

While the Royals have struggled, the NFL Chiefs have emerged from decades of neglect and reached the playoff the past seven seasons. Kansas City has become a football town, and local casino gambling on the Missouri River has also cut into the Royals' business.

The stadium is beautiful, and there is no talk of needing a new one. But with just 19 luxury suites and limited concourse space, it has fallen behind the newer ballparks in its ability to generate revenue. At some point, Robinson said, the stadium will need renovations.

It's the proverbial Catch-22 situation. Without a competitive team, the Royals will have trouble drawing. But without a wealthy owner, they'll have trouble mustering the resources needed to build a winning team.

Kauffman and Brett are sorely missed in Kansas City.

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 01:58 PM

He was putting a offer in but the Royals wouldn't listen becasue they claimed they weren't ready yet This was back in 97. He was not part of Prentice's group.

Cochise
06-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Brett..is among those who have emerged as potential candidates to buy the team.

He and brother Bobby Brett have formed one group, and Kansas City Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt is the other leading candidate.

It says he "emerged as a candidate". It says that he and his brother were a potential ownership group. Nowhere does it say they have the money. Nowhere does it say they submitted an offer. All it says is that they were "potential candidates". That is not even a candidate. It is someone who has the potential to become a candidate.

This hardly proves that Brett and his group had the money and made a qualifying offer that was rejected for no good reason.

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 02:42 PM
It says he "emerged as a candidate". It says that he and his brother were a potential ownership group. Nowhere does it say they have the money. Nowhere does it say they submitted an offer. All it says is that they were "potential candidates". That is not even a candidate. It is someone who has the potential to become a candidate.

This hardly proves that Brett and his group had the money and made a qualifying offer that was rejected for no good reason.

He did confront the Royals and the Royals did nothing with him.

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 02:47 PM

Brett, Royals drifting their separate ways

Posted: Monday February 03, 2003 8:46 PM
Updated: Tuesday February 04, 2003 6:51 PM

George Brett says he wouldn't want be the next George Brett. AP
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- George Brett played his Hall of Fame career with the Kansas City Royals -- back when they were annual contenders.

Now, with the Royals mired below .500 year after year, Brett can't say he'd do the same thing if he were still playing. "I can't see myself staying in Kansas City as a player," he told The Kansas City Star. "Not now. It's all changed. I would sign one-year contracts.

"And I would ask myself, 'Do we have a chance to win in the next two or three years?' Right now, looking at the Royals, I would have to say 'No.'"

Brett played under founding owner Ewing Kauffman, who wasn't shy about spending money to keep stars in Kansas City.

The Royals' current owner, David Glass, has let many of the team's promising players get away through free agency or trades.

"Really, how can you compete when somebody is spending 80 or 90 million more?" said Brett, who was part of a group that made an unsuccessful attempt to buy the Royals after Kauffman's death. "The only thing you can do is catch lightning in a bottle like Oakland or Minnesota. We haven't caught lightning in a bottle."

Brett, inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1999, played 21 seasons for the Royals before retiring in 1993. He is still listed as the team's vice president of baseball operations, a position he has held since his retirement.

But with three baseball-age sons and three of his own businesses to run, his involvement with the team is increasingly limited.

"My life has changed, man," he said. "It's about my sons now. I want to see them play ball. I need to slow down."

Brett plans to attend spring training for only 10 days or so, and he won't even be able to continue his tradition of throwing batting practice for the team.

"I can't throw," he said. "I can't even sleep on my right shoulder. It just aches all the time. I need to get that thing checked out

ChiTown
06-19-2006, 02:49 PM

Why the fuk would this organization want to embrace a winner like Brett, when we can run a discount store operation and still turn a profit?

Cochise
06-19-2006, 02:50 PM

This is dumb anyways, because your implication is that if Brett had bought the team they wouldn't suck, and there is no basis to say that at all.

Mr. Laz
06-19-2006, 02:51 PM
if brett had bought the team he would be singing the small market blues right now himself.

i don't know an owner or potiential own out there that is going to commit to losing the 50 million dollars PER YEAR necessary to have the Royals compete financially with all the other non-yankmee teams.

58-4ever
06-19-2006, 02:52 PM
if brett had bought the team he would be singing the small market blues right now himself.

i don't know an owner or potiential own out there that is going to commit to losing the 50 million dollars PER YEAR necessary to have the Royals compete financially with all the other non-yankmee teams.

I don't think it would take losing 50 million a year to compete. It would take approx. breaking even to compete, which Glass is not willing to do.

tk13
06-19-2006, 02:54 PM
I don't think it would take losing 50 million a year to compete. It would take approx. breaking even to compete, which Glass is not willing to do.
Since Glass has taken over the team, he has about broke even.

ChiTown
06-19-2006, 02:55 PM

Actually, it just entails being smart about the draft and Free Agency. It also means that when you go to a youth movement, it shouldn't take 7-10 years to get there.

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 02:59 PM
This is dumb anyways, because your implication is that if Brett had bought the team they wouldn't suck, and there is no basis to say that at all.

No.
This is not the case

I mentioned Brett wanting to buy the team and Glass somehow talked him out of it.

The prev poster thougtht I was talking about the GM position and I wasn't.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by CHENZ A!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by beavis - Today at 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPriest2

I really wish Miles Prentice had gotten the club. Then all of our problems would be solved!

Posted by KingPriest2 - Today at 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavis

I really wish Miles Prentice had gotten the club. Then all of our problems would be solved!

Pay attention he was talking about buying the team

Posted by beavis - Today at 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPriest2

So you think Brett should have bought the team? You're making even less sense

Posted by KingPriest2 - Today at 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavis

Cochise
06-19-2006, 03:00 PM
It depends on what you mean by 'compete'. If you're happy with a ~.500 season and contending for a playoff spot every couple of years then yeah, if they spent $30 million more a year than they do, maybe they could 'compete'.

I don't consider that the goal though. The goal is to win a championship. You're not going to win a championship in 15th place on the payroll.

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 03:00 PM

Show me where I do Imply that if Brett was the owner they would not suck

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Why the fuk would this organization want to embrace a winner like Brett, when we can run a discount store operation and still turn a profit?

GO back and look there is a website that has a article on it.

Cochise
06-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Show me where I do Imply that if Brett was the owner they would not suck

It's kind of hard to tell what exactly you are talking about.

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 03:02 PM
It's kind of hard to tell what exactly you are talking about.

Hey that is ok

I thought Miles bid was higher then Glass but it wasn't

Mr. Laz
06-19-2006, 03:03 PM

i don't see how ... to directly compete financially you need to spend at least 90 million on the major league roster.

up until last year ... the royals had been around break even while spending 40+

last year i hear they made double digit profit ... which made up for the small loses that had in prior years.

add another 40 million to compete directly ... and then add (at least) another 10 million to the minor league stuff.

of course if your more competitive you will make more money from ticket sales and media revenues ... but the media revenues is where the royals are a serious disadvantage.

Fish
06-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Since Glass has taken over the team, he has about broke even.

?

Are you saying Glass hasn't made any money off the Royals? :shake:

Cochise
06-19-2006, 03:07 PM
?

I would say he hasn't made much, if any.

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 03:12 PM
IRS lawyers haven't been the only ones with questions about how the sale is to be handled. Former Royals All-Star George Brett, now a vice president with the team, expressed interest in putting together a bid for the team in 1995. Brett's interest was rebuffed by the five-member board overseeing the Royals. No firm reason was given for the move other than comments that the team's value might later increase due to a lower team payroll and hoped-for increases in attendance.

Mr. Laz
06-19-2006, 03:12 PM
?

unless you subscribe the the "tin-foil" hat idea ... Glass has pretty much broke even thus far.

loss money pretty much every year until last year ... overall close to even.

the worth of the royals has doubled ... but since part of the agreement when buying the Royals from the Kaufmann foundation was that any profits from the Sale of the Royals goes to non-profit organizations determined by the kaufmann organization ... Glass doesn't benefit from that either.

tk13
06-19-2006, 03:14 PM
?

I doubt it. Not much anyway. Seriously, where is he making money from? The 12,000 people that show up every night? All that Royals merchandise you see in stores and on the backs of people all across KC? Yeah right.

According to Forbes annual reports, he has not really made that much money until last year, when the luxury tax kicked in and nailed the Yankees hard.

Glass' statements to the press have actually been pretty consistent in this regard. When Forbes said Glass made 3 million dollars, or whatever it was, last year... Glass said that was about correct, but since buying the team, he had lost 27 million dollars. Then this last year Forbes said they made a 20 million dollar profit due to the luxury tax. Which is why we went out and signed all these veteran players, because people are idiots and Glass was an idiot trying to deflect the PR heat. He should've just come out and said that money was going toward the development and retention of our young players.

When they asked the Royals PR department about that profit, the statement they got said "David Glass has operated the club at a break even point since taking over the team" blah blah something like that. Very consistent with their previous statements over the years.

Now maybe he's lying through his teeth, but I don't think he's made that much money. I don't know where that money would be coming from. My problem with him has never been the amount of money he spent, as much as what he's spent it on.

ChiTown
06-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Now maybe he's lying through his teeth, but I don't think he's made that much money. I don't know where that money would be coming from. My problem with him has never been the amount of money he spent, as much as what he's spent it on.

:clap:

However, I so believe he has lied through his teeth on plenty occassions with the Royals.

Cochise
06-19-2006, 03:27 PM
unless you subscribe the the "tin-foil" hat idea ... Glass has pretty much broke even thus far.

the worth of the royals has doubled ... but since part of the agreement when buying the Royals from the Kaufmann foundation was that any profits from the Sale of the Royals goes to non-profit organizations determined by the kaufmann organization ... Glass doesn't benefit form that either.

He'll probably be back in the red after this abysmal season.

I don't think Glass wants the team to fail. I believe totally that he wants to win a world series and return the team to its former glory. I think his heart is in the right place, he just has no idea how to do it.

I don't expect someone to blow their entire personal fortune trying to give me a good baseball team to watch for a couple of years. Who am I to point at him and say, I want you to spend all the wealth you have spent your life accumulating, forsake your family's financial security, etc., just for my entertainment?

I don't have a problem with the team's plan of trying to stockpile talent until we were ready to compete, then increasing the payroll, instead of just throwing money every which way. I just think it's been executed poorly.

They hired the wrong people, they stayed loyal to them for too long, and most of all the Glasses thought this baseball stuff would be easy. But I dont believe for a minute that Glass is some scrooge that is trying to siphon money from the team for a few years and then skip town with the Royals in ruins.

I believe he wants to win. With $100 million, you could make an infinite number of better investments than a struggling baseball team that's a minnow in a shark tank. A million other ways you could spend that money with more security and more upside. He didn't get so rich by being stupid like that. There's no reason for him to have bought the team unless he wanted to win. But you can want in one hand and sh#t in the other and we all know which one will fill up first.

It comes down to whether he will learn from his management mistakes or not, and not some retarded argument about how his checkbook is covered in dust.

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 03:28 PM

the worth of the royals has doubled ... but since part of the agreement when buying the Royals from the Kaufmann foundation was that any profits from the Sale of the Royals goes to non-profit organizations determined by the kaufmann organization ... Glass doesn't benefit form that either.

That is very true and something no one realizes. So he trys to make his money by cutting costs and revenue sharing.

HemiEd
06-19-2006, 03:32 PM
I like the sound of this, build up the farm system similar to when the team was great. Good starting place.

beavis
06-19-2006, 03:46 PM
That is very true and something no one realizes. So he trys to make his money by cutting costs and revenue sharing.
So what exactly is your beef with him? You expect him to flush away millions every year on the hopes that he might field a winner?

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 03:50 PM
So what exactly is your beef with him? You expect him to flush away millions every year on the hopes that he might field a winner?

He turned our franchise into a laughing stock.

Mr. Laz
06-19-2006, 05:07 PM
He turned our franchise into a laughing stock.

which is about incompetence ... more than money

Fish
06-19-2006, 05:30 PM
I doubt it. Not much anyway. Seriously, where is he making money from? The 12,000 people that show up every night? All that Royals merchandise you see in stores and on the backs of people all across KC? Yeah right.

According to Forbes annual reports, he has not really made that much money until last year, when the luxury tax kicked in and nailed the Yankees hard.

OK... that's what I remember hearing....

My bad.....

Coogs
06-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Why not send all our top prospects to Omaha now? No matter where they are playing. KC, Omaha, or Wichita. Put the team of the future together and let them play out the rest of the season.