PDA

View Full Version : Fathers Day: a serious note

Nightwish
06-18-2006, 02:33 PM
I read a couple articles about Trent Green and how this Fathers Day is gonna be rough for him, and it reminded me that we should definitely seize this day to cherish our father's, every moment we have with them. Forgive them their mistakes, praise them their accomplishments, and find in ourselves those ways in which our dads live on in us. For those of us whose fathers are still with us, stories like Trent's remind us that eventually that day will come for all of us, if the cycle of life goes as it should, that dad will no longer be there in person. Those who have lost their fathers, who have found in their remembrance the strength to move on, should remind the rest of us to never take it for granted that our dads will always be here. Same goes for Mothers Day.

BigVE
06-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Heading to Dad's later on for a BBQ and looking forward to it. At this point in my life I cant imagine my life without him around, even if I dont really see him all the time. We aint gettin' any younger so some day...well, you know.

milkman
06-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Seriously, don't ever take your father for granted.

I often how my life might have been if mine hadn't died so young.

Demonpenz
06-18-2006, 03:13 PM
One area i got really lucky is two parents that were great. I am truely lucky. I had good grandparents too that weren't afraid to beat my ass.

ImAWalkingCorpse
06-18-2006, 03:25 PM
My dad split in 1972 6 months after I was born, never paid a red cent in child support and never bothered coming back around, so Fathers day means nothing to me.

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-18-2006, 03:52 PM
My dad split in 1972 6 months after I was born, never paid a red cent in child support and never bothered coming back around, so Fathers day means nothing to me.
I fall in that category too. Dad, you can bite me.

chagrin
06-19-2006, 06:08 AM
I fall in that category too. Dad, you can bite me.

I missed this, and it's late but that's okay.

I'll add my name to this list, dad's a flaming dicknose

Lzen
06-19-2006, 07:58 AM
When my parents got divorced, I was about 13. My dad would only come around to see us 2-3 times a year. So, for the longest time I didn't give a shit about him. We've since mended the broken fence(so to speak) but, it'll never be like it should've been. I will never, ever do that to my kids. My boys are 13 and 9 and my girl is 4. I know they are too young to think about that now, but I hope when they get older that they appreciate me and realize all that I do for them. :)

FAX
06-19-2006, 08:02 AM
When my parents got divorced, I was about 13. My dad would only come around to see us 2-3 times a year. So, for the longest time I didn't give a shit about him. We've since mended the broken fence(so to speak) but, it'll never be like it should've been. I will never, ever do that to my kids. My boys are 13 and 9 and my girl is 4. I know they are too young to think about that now, but I hope when they get older that they appreciate me and realize all that I do for them. :)

Serious props for this sentiment, Mr. Lzen.

FAX

MOhillbilly
06-19-2006, 08:31 AM
life goes on.

Nzoner
06-19-2006, 08:45 AM

Props to you man.

My situation was pretty much like yours,however,I realized early on that I had inherited one thing from my dad that I hated and that was his selfishness.Not saying a person can't change but it was my reason for opting not to have kids,I wasn't even going to take a chance that I might turn out being like he was with kids.

chefsos
06-19-2006, 08:58 AM
My mother and father divorced when I was less than a year old, and I saw him maybe once or twice a month throughout my childhood. I barely knew him. But that's OK, because a man fell in love with and married my mom, and took on the responsibility of raising me and my older brother in addition to his own son, even though he really didn't have to. 1959 was in a vastly different era than today.

This is my Dad. I don't recall ever referring to him as a stepfather, because to me he's not. He's my dad.

When I met my (now ex) wife, she had three adolescent daughters, and I was told more than once that I shouldn't bother with the headaches of raising someone else's children. But I knew it could be done because I'd been there and, in adulthood, understood the difference that could be made in young lives. Today, those girls see me the way I see him. I'm dad, and I can't even express how satisfying that feeling is to me.

Thanks, Dad, even though you're probably not even aware of what you've done for my daughters.

jidar
06-19-2006, 09:03 AM
My dad left my mom and my step dad was an asshole. Thanks for this thread you insenstive bastards. Now I'm going to burn this whole mother****er down.

chagrin
06-19-2006, 09:04 AM
My dad left my mom and my step dad was an asshole. Thanks for this thread you insenstive bastards. Now I'm going to burn this whole mother****er down.

ROFL

Err, umm, I mean - Sorry to hear that jidar

Lzen
06-19-2006, 10:47 AM

:LOL: If it makes you feel any better, my step dad was an asshole, too.

chefsos,
that's great to hear about how your step dad was a good father. You're lucky.

John_Locke
06-19-2006, 06:56 PM
my pops been dead 10 years and it still feels like yesterday. I too wish all fathers many years with their children. Even when we are married with our own children, we need to remember our dads.

How I wish I had not been so self-centered and spent more time with my pops