PDA

View Full Version : How dis possible?

Thig Lyfe
06-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Notre Dame receiver reaches deal with Cubs
Samardzija, drafted in fifth round, still will play for Fighting Irish

CHICAGO - The Chicago Cubs agreed to a contract Sunday with fifth-round draft pick Jeff Samardzija of Notre Dame, a star wide receiver for the Fighting Irish football team.

The Valparaiso, Ind., native caught a record 15 touchdown passes last fall. He then went 8-2 with a 4.33 ERA in 15 starts for the baseball team.

---

How is he still NCAA-elgible?

kcfanintitanhell
06-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Danny Ainge, IIRC, was drafted as a third baseman for the Blue Jays and actually started for them while he was still enrolled at Boston College. And he went on the following fall and finished out his college basketball career at BC-I think you can become a pro in one sport but still maintain amateur status in another.
Unless that's changed.

JBucc
06-18-2006, 08:20 PM
I don't know. It would seem that the whole getting paid to play a sport thing would ruin one's amateur status and we know how nitpicky the NCAA can be about guys getting money. Guess not though.

Thig Lyfe
06-18-2006, 08:26 PM
I don't know. It would seem that the whole getting paid to play a sport thing would ruin one's amateur status and we know how nitpicky the NCAA can be about guys getting money. Guess not though.

Yeah, that's what happened with Jeremy Bloom, the skiier/kick returner at colorado. But that was sponsorship money... maybe salaries are a different story.

Bowser
06-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Didn't Roscoe Crosby face a situation like this a couple of years ago when the Royals drafted him?

Baconeater
06-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Danny Ainge, IIRC, was drafted as a third baseman for the Blue Jays and actually started for them while he was still enrolled at Boston College. And he went on the following fall and finished out his college basketball career at BC-I think you can become a pro in one sport but still maintain amateur status in another.
Unless that's changed.
That must be the case because Chris Weinke played baseball for a few years before he played QB for Florida St.

beavis
06-18-2006, 08:40 PM
That must be the case because Chris Weinke played baseball for a few years before he played QB for Florida St.
Yep, it only DQ's you in the sport you get paid in.

KCChiefsMan
06-18-2006, 09:05 PM
no, he only loses his amateur status in baseball...he could still play college football