PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger cited for riding without helmet, permit

NJ Chief Fan
06-19-2006, 10:48 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2490987
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be cited for failure to wear a helmet and not having a motorcycle license after an accident last week left him with a concussion, broken jaw and nose.

Roethlisberger and the driver of the car he crashed into on June 12 both had the green light, but the driver of the vehicle will be cited for failing to yield, police said Monday.

Only licensed cyclists can ride without a helmet in Pennsylvania.

Roethlisberger was traveling 35 mph in a posted 35 mph zone, said officer Dan Connolly. There were no mechanical problems with either vehicle, he said.

Police Chief Dominic Costa said the woman driving the car had received some threatening phone calls, which police were investigating.

Roethlisberger had seven hours of surgery to repair his broken jaws and other facial bones. Doctors have said tests showed no brain injuries, although there was a mild concussion. He also lost two teeth and chipped several others.

He was discharged Wednesday night from Mercy Hospital and apologized to the team, his fans and family in a statement released Thursday. He also said that he would wear a helmet if he rode a motorcycle again.

rageeumr
06-19-2006, 10:50 AM
His argument a year ago when ESPN did the report on this was that he was abiding by the law. He didn't even have a motorcycle license?? :shake:

58-4ever
06-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Threatening phonecalls? Who would have guessed that was going to happen. Some of the most idiotic, classless people I know are Steelers fans.

rageeumr
06-19-2006, 10:54 AM
On a side note, I mentioned on the original thread that I thought I saw him riding with a kid on the bike too. They are showing some of that footage again on ESPN, and it is actually Drew Bledsoe. Not only does the crazy bastard not have a helmet, but he throws his little boy on the front of the bike, also w/o a helmet. Once again, :shake:

StcChief
06-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Only licensed motorcyclist can opt-out of helmet.

so he didn't have time in off season to get a license....

dumb...

NJ Chief Fan
06-19-2006, 10:56 AM
motorcycles are a no no for me...i cant even ride a dirt bike, in fact i dont even think i could ride a biycle, i think i can ride a tricycle though

NJ Chief Fan
06-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Only licensed motorcyclist can opt-out of helmet.

so he didn't have time in off season to get a license....

dumb...

too busy celebrating a super bowl win

Frazod
06-19-2006, 11:03 AM
When asked for comment on this story, Roethlisberger was quoted as saying "I thure feel thupid. Helmeth wearerth are thmart. Can you path the thrained peath, pleathe?"

penguinz
06-19-2006, 11:04 AM
When asked for comment on this story, Roethlisberger was quoted as saying "I thure feel thupid. Helmeth wearerth are thmart. Can you path the thrained peath, pleathe?"
Why would he be eating strained peas?

Dartgod
06-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Why would he be eating strained peas?
...an accident last week left him with a concussion, broken jaw and nose
I don't think he's going to be chewing on any steaks for a while.

FAX
06-19-2006, 11:10 AM

Mom always said. "There's nothing like a good face smashing to change your mind on things."

FAX

Cochise
06-19-2006, 11:12 AM
I think I read once that over 80% of 'serious' m/c accidents were people with no license and were self-taught or taught by a friend (no formal training) and no helmet... sounds like Ben hit the trifecta of risk factors.

Radar Chief
06-19-2006, 11:17 AM
I think I read once that over 80% of 'serious' m/c accidents were people with no license and were self-taught or taught by a friend (no formal training) and no helmet... sounds like Ben hit the trifecta of risk factors.

Iíd believe it.
Out of the guys I ride, have ridden, with Iím one of, like, two or three that actually do have a motorcycle license.
Itís just not something cops know to check for so they typically donít.

oldandslow
06-19-2006, 11:19 AM
motorcycles are a no no for me...i cant even ride a dirt bike, in fact i dont even think i could ride a biycle, i think i can ride a tricycle though

I read an article the other day that stated for that there is something like 1.3 deaths for every million miles driven by autos.

For motorcycles - over 38 deaths for every million miles driven.

That really is all I need to know.

BIG_DADDY
06-19-2006, 12:11 PM
I read an article the other day that stated for that there is something like 1.3 deaths for every million miles driven by autos.

For motorcycles - over 38 deaths for every million miles driven.

That really is all I need to know.

You know how many idiots there are on the road that don't have any idea how to ride? My guess is 25 of those 38 don't have a clue. Riding rules there is nothing like it. My family has been riding our whole life. Nobody dead yet thank god just some broken bones.

Rain Man
06-19-2006, 12:13 PM
On a side note, I mentioned on the original thread that I thought I saw him riding with a kid on the bike too. They are showing some of that footage again on ESPN, and it is actually Drew Bledsoe. Not only does the crazy bastard not have a helmet, but he throws his little boy on the front of the bike, also w/o a helmet. Once again, :shake:

Drew Bledsoe is Ben Roethlisberger's son? Man, that guy is a stud.

oldandslow
06-19-2006, 12:26 PM
You know how many idiots there are on the road that don't have any idea how to ride? My guess is 25 of those 38 don't have a clue. Riding rules there is nothing like it. My family has been riding our whole life. Nobody dead yet thank god just some broken bones.

BD

I am not saying you should not ride. I am saying I should not because I would be 1 of the 25 w/o a clue.

Plus, I still don't like the odds.