PDA

View Full Version : New Gretz: Chiefs MAY HAVE TO (not will) renounce Pollard, Croyle picks

shaneo69
06-19-2006, 12:17 PM
GRETZ: What Should Have Been Done
Jun 19, 2006, 8:11:31 AM by Bob Gretz

The Chiefs will wrap up their off-season program this week with four more OTA practice sessions. Then, the players and coaches will scatter for the better part of a month.

It will be quiet in most football corners of Arrowhead Stadium with one exception: the contract negotiations department. Led by Executive VP-COO Denny Thum, the Chiefs have seven draft picks they must get under contract if those players are to be on the field for the first practice of training camp on July 28th in River Falls, Wisconsin.

That this whole process must still be completed is one of the leagueís major failures in the extension of the collective bargaining agreement with the players. The owners gave up so much to the players and got very little in return. One thing they should have demanded is a rookie salary scale, much like the one used by the NBA, where every draft choice is paid on a sliding scale from the first pick, to the 255th player. It was something that a lot of team executives pushed for with the NFLís Management Council negotiating arm.

There is a slotting system already at work, but because itís not in writing and unofficial, the teams waste far too much time and energy getting draft picks signed, especially first round choices looking for the big bonus score in their deals. Itís not the job of the agents to follow the slotting system. Itís their job to get the best deal possible for their clients. Thus, clubs and agents will spend weeks, sometimes months haggling over a deal that in the end will not be much different than it would have been in the days immediately after the draft.

Not only did the league fail to get a rookie salary scale in the new agreement, theyíve made things harder when it comes to signing the draft picks. The salary cap for this year went up approximately 15 percent. Yet the rookie salary pool, which is a cap inside the cap that limits the amount of money first-year players can receiver, went up just over five percent. And, on top of that the first-year minimum salary in the league was raised $40,000 and is now $275,000, squeezing the rookie cap even more.

Itís going to create some interesting decisions for teams and for the agents. Some in the league are surprised that more picks, especially those in the later rounds, havenít already signed contracts. As the NFL begins this week, there are less than a dozen picks under contract. The highest is the first choice, DE Mario Williams with Houston. There are several fifth, sixth and seventh round contracts that have been announced, and probably a few others that have been finished, but not yet turned into the league.

Teams may be forced to renounce draft picks if they canít get them signed under the squeezed cap. That has not happened in recent seasons, but the financial conditions are such that itís a real possibility if some agents and players are unrealistic in dealing with the situation. The first rounders figure to get their money. Itís the second and third-round picks that are going to face difficult decisions.

A couple years ago, the Chiefs had every one of their draft choices signed for the start of training camp. That wasnít the case last year, but Derrick Johnson (1st rounder), Craphonso Thorpe (4th) and Khari Long (6th) were all in River Falls by August 1st.

That may not be the case this year for the Chiefs, or every other NFL teams.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/06/19/gretz_what_should_have_been_done/

Ebolapox
06-19-2006, 12:19 PM
what the f*ck?!?

StcChief
06-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Yeah...hold out at your NFL career start. Smart.

Ebolapox
06-19-2006, 12:21 PM
the thread starter is misleading (for the moment)--it leads us to assume it's a foregone conclusion, when in reality it isn't... yet

Kerberos
06-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Keep F***ing doubting Carl Petersons Negotiating Skills!

penguinz
06-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Ty Law would solve all these problems. Any draft pick would offer up the first born and their wives/girlfriends for an opportunity to play with Law.

nychief
06-19-2006, 12:26 PM
That is a bullshit headline for this thread. nuthooks.

shaneo69
06-19-2006, 12:30 PM
That is a bullshit headline for this thread. nuthooks.

Carl would renounce a draft pick before throwing an extra $5,000 on a 3rd rounder's signing bonus.

You know it. I know it. Everybody here knows it.

Chiefnj
06-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Notwithstanding anything in this article and KC's history with draft picks, I think are going to be a lot of late signings as agents and GM's try to take advantage of new clauses and potential loopholes in the new CBA. I believe there has been a change to when teams can get portions of signing bonuses back, etc. With Ben's accident you can be sure each side will be jockying on that issue and any ambiguity in the CBA.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-19-2006, 12:33 PM
There's no way that will happen if Carl Peterson wants to live another day. If Pollard, or Croyle aren't signed there will be some night-lynchings.

shaneo69
06-19-2006, 12:34 PM
We've already heard Gretz whine about how the new CBA is going to keep the small market teams like the Chiefs from being able to compete, and now this joke of a column about how Carl has been dealt another tough blow to his side of the draft pick negotiations.

And I ask again, if the new CBA sucks so bad, why did Lamar vote for it?

el borracho
06-19-2006, 12:41 PM
STFD AND STFU!!

Mr. Laz
06-19-2006, 12:43 PM
the thread starter is misleading

yes it is ....... very

el borracho
06-19-2006, 12:47 PM
What does it mean to "renounce" a draft pick, anyway? Wouldn't teams just hold the rights to a player as long as they could until the player either signed or until next year's draft?

HemiEd
06-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Carl would renounce a draft pick before throwing an extra $5,000 on a 3rd rounder's signing bonus.

You are full of shit.

Cochise
06-19-2006, 12:51 PM
This is the worst titled thread in the history of the Planet. :spock:

And this even though the poster is Bob Gretz' PR department. Suprising.

Ebolapox
06-19-2006, 12:52 PM
You are full of shit.

yep... I did give him the negatory salute for his efforts though

hypersensitiveZO6
06-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Thread Title: Chiefs will renounce Pollard, Croyle picks

:shake:

DaFace
06-19-2006, 12:57 PM

You can make assumptions all you want, but using a title about two specific players when they are not mentioned anywhere in the article is bullshit.

Pitt Gorilla
06-19-2006, 12:57 PM
nuthooks.

jspchief
06-19-2006, 01:02 PM

You know it. I know it. Everybody here knows it.You're an imbecile.

Mr. Laz
06-19-2006, 02:21 PM
What does it mean to "renounce" a draft pick, anyway? Wouldn't teams just hold the rights to a player as long as they could until the player either signed or until next year's draft?
i think it's basically just away to cut them ..... even though they haven't signed them to a contract yet.

renounce = cut, so they can go sign with another team

holding the players rights until next year has some kind of salary cap implications IIRC.

btw - i don't think teams will be out there dropping draft picks any more than normal.

the 1st pick of the draft just signed with NO signing bonus i believe ... because of the new bargaining agreement makes things have to be structure different.

shaneo69
06-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Sorry to all the girls out there who were offended by the thread title.

Maybe you should direct your anger at Chiefs management for floating the idea to the fans that picks may have to be renounced if the front office can't get the job done.

Miles
06-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Maybe you should direct your anger at Chiefs management for floating the idea to the fans that picks may have to be renounced if the front office can't get the job done.

Where the hell is any of that in the article? It doesn't even remotely imply it either.

alnorth
06-19-2006, 05:50 PM

Dude, come off it. Your original thread title was crap and you know it.

OldTownChief
06-19-2006, 06:11 PM

When did Bob Gretz become Chiefs management? You live in fantasy land.

Ari Chi3fs
06-19-2006, 06:19 PM
shaneo69's shits create better threads than half of you assclowns bitching. Let the man work... come on.

OldTownChief
06-19-2006, 06:23 PM
shaneo69's shits create better threads than half of you assclowns bitching. Let the man work... come on.

Who gives a ****? That's beside the point.

listopencil
06-19-2006, 06:33 PM
I just heard that every K-Mart Will be giving away big screen TV's from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM next Sunday.

They might have to if they decide that the TV's can't be sold, I mean.

58-4ever
06-19-2006, 06:35 PM
I just heard that every K-Mart Will be giving away big screen TV's from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM next Sunday.

They might have to if they decide that the TV's can't be sold, I mean.

ROFL

tk13
06-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Well this is an interesting thread. I think we'd jettison all the 2nd day picks before giving up on any of our 1st rounders. I think that's a pretty unrealistic assumption at this point, I think we'll make it work. We have to. No we aren't the biggest spenders but we haven't really ever truly cut corners like that.

tk13
06-19-2006, 06:39 PM
We've already heard Gretz whine about how the new CBA is going to keep the small market teams like the Chiefs from being able to compete, and now this joke of a column about how Carl has been dealt another tough blow to his side of the draft pick negotiations.

And I ask again, if the new CBA sucks so bad, why did Lamar vote for it?
Because the union was threatening to go to an uncapped year and negotiations had dragged on a ridiculous amount. If we'd lost the cap we'd been dead. I imagine a lot of teams weren't happy with that CBA but compromised to keep the league intact.

shaneo69
06-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Where the hell is any of that in the article? It doesn't even remotely imply it either.

Ummmm.....

Gretz: "...the financial conditions are such that it's a real possibility..."

Warrior5
06-19-2006, 07:03 PM
You're and imbecile.

Edited to meet Planet jargon.

Due to the plethora of nuthook references in this thread (and many others), I suggest someone design a smilie to add visual accentuation to said posts.

shaneo69
06-19-2006, 07:11 PM

Well, by writing this article and making pre-emptive excuses for future incompetence by our front office, he's either being told by the front office what to write, or he's just the biggest ass-kisser since Eddie Haskell.

That's a rare Leave it to Beaver reference for all you kids out there.

OldTownChief
06-19-2006, 07:15 PM
or he's just the biggest ass-kisser since Eddie Haskell.

This I believe.

listopencil
06-19-2006, 07:25 PM
All in all, I'd rather that you made a poop or boobs thread instead of this one.

shaneo69
06-19-2006, 07:28 PM
All in all, I'd rather that you made a poop or boobs thread instead of this one.

Thanks Bronco fan. Your opinion is duly noted.

Chiefs Minor Satellite
06-19-2006, 07:44 PM

I'd say more like Neverland, he is probably being diddled by MJ.

shaneo69
06-19-2006, 07:50 PM
I'd say more like Neverland, he is probably being diddled by MJ.

That there is gold, n00b.....gold, I tell ya!

OldTownChief
06-19-2006, 08:32 PM
One of them holding out for a short while wouldn't suprise me that much but not both. I'd guess Pollard.

ChiefsCountry
06-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Wow, what a dumbass thread title. The article basically says that the rookie pool didnt grow as much as the salary cap, thus if team was really close to the cap could be possible to renounce draft picks.

Ultra Peanut
06-19-2006, 09:04 PM
I LIKE CHEESE

shaneo69
06-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Wow, what a dumbass thread title.

Yeah....but then again, Gretz probably had more people read his article on this site than on the official site with the headline that was used there.

Of course, if I wrote such a pathetic, excuse-making article as that, I wouldn't want any Chiefs fan who can think for themselves to read it either.

Halfcan
06-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Gretz is such a patzy for the Chiefs-he puts out this Cap bullshit article every year. Pretty sad when JW is writing better stuff-which is not saying much.

Miles
06-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Ummmm.....

Gretz: "...the financial conditions are such that it's a real possibility..."

How exectly is that anything close to, "Chiefs management for floating the idea?"

shaneo69
06-19-2006, 09:14 PM
How exectly is that anything close to, "Chiefs management for floating the idea?"

You're apparently giving Gretz credit for thinking up this "renouncing draft picks" BS on his own.

OldTownChief
06-19-2006, 09:18 PM
You're apparently giving Gretz credit for thinking up this "renouncing draft picks" BS on his own.

I would give Gretz credit for being gullible enough to fall for a "leaked" negotiating tactic.

Miles
06-19-2006, 09:37 PM

No, just disputing that the statement you made about the front office floating rumors, which is just pure speculation. You stated it as if it were a fact.

shaneo69
06-19-2006, 09:39 PM
No, just disputing that the statement you made about the front office floating rumors, which is just pure speculation. You stated it as if it were a fact.

Well, if the front office didn't tell Gretz to float this rumor, then I guess he thought it up all by himself. Personally, I don't give him that much credit.

DaWolf
06-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Sounds more like Gretz is running out of things to write. $40 K? Boo hoo. If we really do have one of the best salary cap guys in Denny Thum here, as Gretz has called him, why's he so worried? Write about something of subatance Gretz, then maybe I'll give a damn...

htismaqe
06-20-2006, 08:48 AM

ROFL

So bitter, so pathetic.

shaneo69
06-20-2006, 09:30 AM
ROFL

So bitter, so pathetic.

Hey, we missed you yesterday on this thread.

KCTitus
06-20-2006, 09:39 AM
It will be quiet in most football corners of Arrowhead Stadium with one exception: the contract negotiations department. Led by Executive VP-COO Denny Thum, the Chiefs have seven draft picks they must get under contract if those players are to be on the field for the first practice of training camp on July 28th in River Falls, Wisconsin.

Right...like they work on contract negotiations while Carl is on vacation. Gretz really doesnt have a clue how this organization really works.

shaneo69
06-20-2006, 09:56 AM
Right...like they work on contract negotiations while Carl is on vacation. Gretz really doesnt have a clue how this organization really works.

Now that Thum and Kuharich have been promoted, Ray Farmer hired as pro personnel director, and Herm moved into the HC position, Carl's work is done for the year.

Well, except for the weekly whispering of article topics for KCChiefs.com into Gretz' ear.

htismaqe
06-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Hey, we missed you yesterday on this thread.

Who do you think changed your stupid-ass thread title?

NJ Chief Fan
06-20-2006, 10:09 AM
we must sign hali pollard croyle and maybe even that wr webb

KCTitus
06-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Now that Thum and Kuharich have been promoted, Ray Farmer hired as pro personnel director, and Herm moved into the HC position, Carl's work is done for the year.

Well, except for the weekly whispering of article topics for KCChiefs.com into Gretz' ear.

Nonsense...nothing happens when Carl is out of the office.

Ultra Peanut
06-20-2006, 10:22 AM
OH MY GOD NO WAY (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6805063692754011230)