PDA

View Full Version : BOOOO Carolina!!!

Moooo
06-19-2006, 09:52 PM
:(

Moooo

CoMoChief
06-19-2006, 09:55 PM
Hockey sucks, as does soccer. That is all.

shaneo69
06-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Best part about this is that a) Pronger lost, and 2) Doug Weight was injured and unable to take part in the series clinching game.

Blues fans are vindicated.

Moooo
06-19-2006, 10:01 PM
I still say Markkanen did a good job for coming into the series the way he did. I don't think too many thought it would go 7 whenever he had to come in.

Still upset. At least there's next year, unlike the Tampa/Calgary series. That one bothered me for 2 years!

Moooo

Moooo
06-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Hockey sucks, as does soccer. That is all.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but may I ask why you feel this way? Just don't know the games and rules, or what? Both games IMO are more than adequately fast (especially hockey), so that can't be it.

I mean, my heart starts leaping out of my chest whenever they start attacking the goalie in hockey. Those goalies can do things that make me question if they're human or not...

Moooo

listopencil
06-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but may I ask why you feel this way? Just don't know the games and rules, or what? Both games IMO are more than adequately fast (especially hockey), so that can't be it.

I mean, my heart starts leaping out of my chest whenever they start attacking the goalie in hockey. Those goalies can do things that make me question if they're human or not...

Moooo

No shit. I was lucky enough to see Roy play for my team. The man was phenomenal.

Mecca
06-19-2006, 10:47 PM

Moooo

He's typical of most americans, if the sport isn't american as in it wasn't invented here, then it sucks.

ImAWalkingCorpse
06-19-2006, 10:57 PM
I love Hockey and I am not thrilled that a team from the Carolinas won it all.

listopencil
06-19-2006, 10:57 PM
He's typical of most americans, if the sport isn't american as in it wasn't invented here, then it sucks.

I enjoy hockey but I can't stand watching soccer. I can't stand baseball or car racing either, though.

Moooo
06-19-2006, 11:00 PM
I enjoy hockey but I can't stand watching soccer. I can't stand baseball or car racing either, though.

This is me with the exception of TRYING to be a Royals fan (its hard to do)... I've watched 2 world cup games, one of which only one goal was scored which wasn't by accident. I'm looking at it and wondering why anyone would pick his over a sport like hockey which is fundamentally very similar, but much faster.

I really, REALLY want to get into soccer, though. But it won't let me! :)

Moooo

Mecca
06-19-2006, 11:02 PM
I just laugh so hard when anyone tells me Hockey and Soccer are boring then turn around and watches Baseball and Nascar. I do think Soccer is boring but no more so than Baseball or Nascar.

chiefs4me
06-19-2006, 11:15 PM
Best part about this is that a) Pronger lost, and 2) Doug Weight was injured and unable to take part in the series clinching game.

Blues fans are vindicated.

I could care less about Pronger, but even though Weight was injured, he still hoisted the cup and was still part of the winning team..

milkman
06-19-2006, 11:21 PM
I just laugh so hard when anyone tells me Hockey and Soccer are boring then turn around and watches Baseball and Nascar. I do think Soccer is boring but no more so than Baseball or Nascar.

Baseball is a slow moving sport, but there isn't much that's better than sitting in the stands on a warm summer afternoon, socking in the sun, and sucking down a beer.

Mecca
06-19-2006, 11:23 PM
Baseball is a slow moving sport, but there isn't much that's better than sitting in the stands on a warm summer afternoon, socking in the sun, and sucking down a beer.

I really don't like hot weather so the odds of me sitting in the stands to watch Baseball outside of April or the end of September are slim and none.

chiefs4me
06-19-2006, 11:27 PM
I really don't like hot weather so the odds of me sitting in the stands to watch Baseball outside of April or the end of September are slim and none.

Allmost 14 thousand posts in a little over a year?? Is that right, or has a mod been messing with it??

Mecca
06-19-2006, 11:28 PM
Allmost 14 thousand posts in a little over a year?? Is that right, or has a mod been messing with it??

I post alot while you and the older folks are sleeping......

Der Flöprer
06-19-2006, 11:34 PM
I was really hoping Edmonton would win this. It's Canadias game. Let them have their damn cup back already. Seriously. I live in the Carolinas now, let me be the first to tell you. No one gave a shit.

chiefs4me
06-19-2006, 11:38 PM
I was really hoping Edmonton would win this. It's Canadias game. Let them have their damn cup back already. Seriously. I live in the Carolinas now, let me be the first to tell you. No one gave a shit.

sure did look like they had several thousand fans who cared....:D

Der Flöprer
06-19-2006, 11:38 PM
sure did look like they had several thousand fans who cared....:D

They were from all across the country. Trust me ;)

chiefs4me
06-19-2006, 11:43 PM
They were from all across the country. Trust me ;)

I believed you until your last two words...:D

Der Flöprer
06-19-2006, 11:48 PM
I believed you until your last two words...:D

ROFL ROFL you are a very astute person.

listopencil
06-19-2006, 11:49 PM

We had that in Sacramento where I used to live. We called it traffic.

Mecca
06-19-2006, 11:50 PM
We had that in Sacramento where I used to live. We called it traffic.

I hope those people were doing more than making just left turns.

CoMoChief
06-19-2006, 11:51 PM

Moooo

Soccer is boring, very boring. Whether you watch it live or on TV its very boring IMO. Some of the higlights on ESPN are cool, and I do understand that some of the athletes that play the game professionally are some of the best athletes in the world, but the structure of the game is boring itself. Very low scoring over a long period of time doesnt really attract too many people in the United States. Pretty much the reason why soccer isnt big here in the US.

Hockey is a little different in the fact that it is fun to go to a game and watch it live but again watching the game on TV is very boring. Low scoring has much to do with it. IMO the only thing keeping it on TV is the physical nature of it. There are some checks in hockey that are as good as some of the hits you see in the NFL. Even with the NHL hockey as far as US terms is Canada and Russia's sport and has yet to reach the hype in the US like the NFL NBA or MLB has.

NJ Chief Fan
06-19-2006, 11:59 PM
when was the last time a team from canada won the stanley cup?

listopencil
06-20-2006, 12:00 AM
I hope those people were doing more than making just left turns.

Nope. That's why we moved.

DJay23
06-20-2006, 07:24 AM
Was it Montreal in '93?

morphius
06-20-2006, 07:37 AM
Or people who watch golf on TV. Hell, that isn't even a sport.

Bootlegged
06-20-2006, 07:42 AM
Man - haven't even been to bed yet...we laughed, we cried, we tried to tip over some cars but were too drunk.

Ole' Ole' Ole' Ole'....

Eh?

CanadianChief
06-20-2006, 08:27 AM
Was it Montreal in '93?

Yup

DJay23
06-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Yup
It's sad to me that it's been that long. One of the reasons I don't follow hockey is that there are bastard teams in places like Miami, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Nashville, Dallas, and North Carolina but Canada, where kids actually play hockey has a grand total of 5 teams.

CanadianChief
06-20-2006, 08:46 AM
It's sad to me that it's been that long. One of the reasons I don't follow hockey is that there are bastard teams in places like Miami, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Nashville, Dallas, and North Carolina but Canada, where kids actually play hockey has a grand total of 5 teams.

It's too difficult for small market teams to compete. We lost our team here in Winnipeg to Phoenix and I've been bitter ever since. To tell you the truth I don't even know if a team could survive here with the new CBA put in place.

The Poz
06-20-2006, 08:58 AM
but Canada, where kids actually play hockey has a grand total of 5 teams.
There are actually 6 teams.
The reason for that is all of the money generated is from American TV contracts. The NHL upper brass really wants hockey to be as popular in the U.S. as baseball & football and for that to happen they need saturate the league with American teams. There are all of these Canadian cities that want a team. Cities that would sell out every night for every game, the problem is that when these Canadian teams (Hamilton, Winnipeg, Halifax, Quebec City, etc.) visit American cities, there will be no interest. That what scares them.
Go Flames Go.

CanadianChief
06-20-2006, 09:06 AM
the problem is that when these Canadian teams (Hamilton, Winnipeg, Halifax, Quebec City, etc.) visit American cities, there will be no interest. That what scares them.
Go Flames Go.

Not if the girl from your avatar is behind the bench coaching!!!

:whackit:

The Poz
06-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Not if the girl from your avatar is behind the bench coaching!!!

:whackit:

It appears we call our avatars by the same name "Bubbles".
On the hockey note, I'm still very surprised that it hasn't really caught on with most Americans. It's fast and violent. What more do ya need?

Bootlegged
06-20-2006, 09:16 AM

Not sure where you get your info, but hockey is huge here. Tobacco Road is known for hockey. We play at nights/weekends - anytime we get a freeze. Nothin' like sweet tea, BBQ and hockey.

CanadianChief
06-20-2006, 10:10 AM
It appears we call our avatars by the same name "Bubbles".
On the hockey note, I'm still very surprised that it hasn't really caught on with most Americans. It's fast and violent. What more do ya need?

I think ESPN needs to get on board and sign some sort of broadcasting deal with the NHL.

DJay23
06-20-2006, 10:17 AM
Not sure where you get your info, but hockey is huge here. Tobacco Road is known for hockey. We play at nights/weekends - anytime we get a freeze. Nothin' like sweet tea, BBQ and hockey.
I hate to argue with someone who lives there, and if you are joking my apologies, but across the nation when someone says to a sports fan "Tobacco Road" the first thing to come to mind is NOT hockey. Obviously I don't live there so maybe it's a local thing, but Tobacco Road is not known for hockey.

Still the point is compare the percentage of people in North Carolina who play hockey to other sports. Now do the same in Canada.

The Poz
06-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Still the point is compare the percentage of people in North Carolina who play hockey to other sports.
After winning the Cup who knows, that number may shoot way up. For me, the only good thing with the Canes winning it all is the recognition that hockey is starting to get in markets that not too long ago knew nothing about it. Edmonton will always have fans.

Bootlegged
06-20-2006, 10:37 AM
I hate to argue with someone who lives there, and if you are joking my apologies, but across the nation when someone says to a sports fan "Tobacco Road" the first thing to come to mind is NOT hockey. Obviously I don't live there so maybe it's a local thing, but Tobacco Road is not known for hockey.

Still the point is compare the percentage of people in North Carolina who play hockey to other sports. Now do the same in Canada.

It was a joke..

BigMeatballDave
06-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Hockey sucks, as does soccer. That is all.I understand how one could think soccer sucks. Its painfully boring. Indoor soccer is, by far and away, much more exciting. Hockey couldn't be boring if it tried...

BigMeatballDave
06-20-2006, 11:12 AM
I think ESPN needs to get on board and sign some sort of broadcasting deal with the NHL.The NHL was big on ESPN in the 80's...

KCTitus
06-20-2006, 11:26 AM
It's too difficult for small market teams to compete. We lost our team here in Winnipeg to Phoenix and I've been bitter ever since. To tell you the truth I don't even know if a team could survive here with the new CBA put in place.

Small Market? Carolina Hurricanes are in Raliegh, NC. Not exactly a large market.

sedated
06-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Hockey is 10 times more entertaining than soccer.

It has a smaller playing field and is on skates, so it's a much faster game.

It has the added element of being on ice, which increases speed and difficulty.

They use sticks instead of their feet.

They allow fighting. All the players are huge and have f*cked up faces and teeth. When they grow beards, they look like bears.

Plus it has the greatest trophy in sports - Lord Stanley's Cup.

chiefs4me
06-20-2006, 06:04 PM

92-93 Montreal Canadiens
89-90 Edmonton Oilers
88-89 Calgary Flames
87-88 Edmonton Oilers
86-87 edmonton Oilers

the list goes on, actually they own the cup more then we do....:D

andoman
06-20-2006, 06:27 PM
92-93 Montreal Canadiens
89-90 Edmonton Oilers
88-89 Calgary Flames
87-88 Edmonton Oilers
86-87 edmonton Oilers

the list goes on, actually they own the cup more then we do....:D

When I was a kid they were the Atlanta Flames. Are they the only NHL team that went from the US to Canada?

chiefs4me
06-20-2006, 06:47 PM
When I was a kid they were the Atlanta Flames. Are they the only NHL team that went from the US to Canada?

that I know of, I could be wrong...I know several teams moved from Canada to the States...Quebec Nordiques became the Colorado Avs, the Winnipeg Jets became the Phoenix Coyotes, and the Hartford Whalers became the Carolina Hurricanes...who else moved???? Several teams have also moved within the states...:D