View Full Version : Teicher: Chiefs Team Report 6/16/06

Tribal Warfare
06-19-2006, 11:42 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/chiefs/index.html

Chiefs Team Report
6/16/2006

By Adam Teicher
Kansas City Star http://i.tsn.com/i/p/s.gif

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: T Kyle Turley's signing gives the Chiefs the chance to upgrade their offensive line. Turley is more skilled and more accomplished than John Welbourn, last year's starter. Welbourn told the Chiefs he would retire, but the job probably would have gone to Turley anyway if his balky back holds up. Turley also needs to show he can scrape off the rust after two years away from football and play effectively below 300 pounds, as his back demands he do. Even if he doesn't start at right tackle, Turley gives the Chiefs some security as a backup for LT Willie Roaf. Without a reliable reserve for Roaf last season, the Chiefs suffered when he missed several games because of hamstring problems.

SCOUTING REPORT: Reserve TE Jason Dunn isn't much of a receiving threat, but he's the perfect complement to starter Tony Gonzalez. Dunn is a powerful in-line blocker who can also get out on the perimeter to lead for some of the Chiefs' favorite plays. He has been a key figure in the Chiefs' ability to run the ball well over the last several years. Now that the Chiefs have lost FB Tony Richardson to free agency, Dunn's blocking ability is more important than ever.

REHAB UPDATE: DE Eric Hicks is still mending from offseason shoulder surgery and as a precaution was withheld from most full-speed spring drills. Hicks should be ready for full participation when training camp begins. Though the Chiefs have Jared Allen at one end and drafted Tamba Hali in the first round this year, Hicks still plays a key role for the Chiefs. They expect Hicks to be their starter on the left side. Hicks isn't as quick as the Chiefs would like and can be overwhelmed by bigger, stronger tackles at the point of attack. But he gives maximum effort on every snap and sometimes makes a play with sheer determination.

INSIDE DISH: This could be the last chance for DT Ryan Sims to prove to the Chiefs they didn't err by making him the sixth pick of the 2002. Sims still has a rare combination of quickness and power but he hasn't consistently used those qualities to his advantage. It hasn't been entirely his fault. Injuries cost him most of two of his four seasons. Sims reported for offseason work in poor physical condition and the Chiefs are losing patience with him.

OFFENSIVE TACKLES ANALYSIS: B-plus. Willie Roaf remains one of the best on the left side. Kyle Turley could solidify the other.

Mecca
06-19-2006, 11:45 PM
Oh nice, he admits that Hicks isn't quick or strong. Yet he's still going to be starting......that just makes my damn year.

Halfcan
06-19-2006, 11:59 PM
Sorry I could have written better rubish than this-

Simms-rare combination of quickness and power-hahahahah-maybe when attacking a box of Krispy Cremes. (That is an inside Dish??)

Hicks-never gives up on plays-hahahahahah

Hey NEWS FLASH-Dunn is a good blocker. Thanks Adam-I must have missed the thousand crushing blocks he has made over the years.

Bowser
06-20-2006, 12:03 AM
I give maximum effort in drinking overpriced beer at the stadium. Maybe they'll upgrade me to a suite?

CoMoChief
06-20-2006, 12:11 AM
So why is Hicks starting then???

You would think Sims would come into camp better than ever considering its a contract year for him. I guess this is gonna be another terrible year for our Dline.

Halfcan
06-20-2006, 12:12 AM
I give maximum effort in drinking overpriced beer at the stadium. Maybe they'll upgrade me to a suite?

Under the new "Man Rules" that makes you a Champ!

Chiefnj
06-20-2006, 08:08 AM
"Welbourn told the Chiefs he would retire, but the job probably would have gone to Turley anyway if his balky back holds up."

Was Welbourn that far in the coaches dog house that Teicher can speculate that a guy two years out of football would beat him out?

"They expect Hicks to be their starter on the left side."

Best news yet! :rolleyes:

htismaqe
06-20-2006, 08:53 AM
It's JUNE. OF COURSE, Hicks is expected to be the starter. He ended last season as the starter and TRAINING CAMP HASN'T STARTED YET.

NOTE FOR THE WHINERS: Derrick Johnson wasn't the starter at this time last year.

S.O.P. for Teicher...get fans in an uproar by floating unsubstantiated rumors that you KNOW will be unpopular.

FAX
06-20-2006, 09:02 AM
Damn. Pretty depressing analysis.

He left out the part where beer at Arrowhead is going to be replaced with moth ball juice.

FAX

crispystl420
06-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Hicks isn't as quick as the Chiefs would like and can be overwhelmed by bigger, stronger tackles at the point of attack. But he gives maximum effort on every snap and sometimes makes a play with sheer determination.

Bull f*ckin Sh*#t what a load

kc rush
06-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Hicks isn't as quick as the Chiefs would like and can be overwhelmed by bigger, stronger tackles at the point of attack. But he gives maximum effort on every snap and sometimes makes a play with sheer determination.

Bull f*ckin Sh*#t what a load

Hicks isn't as fast or as strong as the Chiefs want him to be and he gets overpowered at the line. He gives maximum effort on every play. I believe those statements, so I wouldn't say "Bull f*ckin Sh*#t" to that. Its just that Hicks best isn't good enough.

What is "Bull f*ckin Sh*#t" is that he remains the starter. I know that he was a DV favorite, and we didn't really have anyone to replace him last year. Hopefully this year, Hali pushes Hicks to a back up role where he should be fine.

58-4ever
06-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Hicks isn't as fast or as strong as the Chiefs want him to be and he gets overpowered at the line. He gives maximum effort on every play. I believe those statements, so I wouldn't say "Bull f*ckin Sh*#t" to that. Its just that Hicks best isn't good enough.

What is "Bull f*ckin Sh*#t" is that he remains the starter. I know that he was a DV favorite, and we didn't really have anyone to replace him last year. Hopefully this year, Hali pushes Hicks to a back up role where he should be fine.

Dude, you look pretty young to be a dad. Congrats.

KCTitus
06-20-2006, 09:45 AM
What a weenie 'scouting report'...that's just mailing it in. Any genious (chiefsplanet spelling) here could have written that part about Dunn. How about something more important like the FB situation or do you need to be a premium member to get that kind of stuff?

morphius
06-20-2006, 10:11 AM
It's JUNE. OF COURSE, Hicks is expected to be the starter. He ended last season as the starter and TRAINING CAMP HASN'T STARTED YET.

NOTE FOR THE WHINERS: Derrick Johnson wasn't the starter at this time last year.

S.O.P. for Teicher...get fans in an uproar by floating unsubstantiated rumors that you KNOW will be unpopular.
and we have a HC this year that isn't afraid to play the young guys.

Mr. Laz
06-20-2006, 10:59 AM
SCOUTING REPORT: Reserve TE Jason Dunn isn't much of a receiving threat, but he's the perfect complement to starter Tony Gonzalez. Dunn is a powerful in-line blocker

i hear this all the time but i think Dunn is a decent receiver ... he's just not tony G. so he look poor in comparison.

Dunn has fine hands and decent speed considering he's a blocking TE.

we just don't use Dunn because of Tony.

laz
~thinks Dunn is underrated~

jspchief
06-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Hicks getting off-season surgery is perfect. Hali gets a chance to work with the first team and show his ability.

If after Hali gets the opportunity, Hicks still ends up as the starter, I'll be more inclined to bitch about Hali than Hicks.

StcChief
06-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Hicks getting off-season surgery is perfect. Hali gets a chance to work with the first team and show his ability.

If after Hali gets the opportunity, Hicks still ends up as the starter, I'll be more inclined to bitch about Hali than Hicks.

The positions with problems are up for grabs. Especially the D.

Dline, CB,SS,FS,LB

Now RT... Turley, Black,Sampson.

Let the best player get the job.

Sims days are numbered as starter IMO.

Hicks too, if Hali is NFL starter caliber.

htismaqe
06-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Sims days are numbered as starter IMO.

Just who is going to replace him? Edwards has talent, but is injured as much, or more, than Sims. After that we have basically nobody. And yes, Siavii is a nobody.

StcChief
06-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Just who is going to replace him? Edwards has talent, but is injured as much, or more, than Sims. After that we have basically nobody. And yes, Siavii is a nobody.

Maybe he starts this year, but he is hurt off/on for so long.

Chiefs likely look at who gets released when the cuts happen and we get another vet. Reed/Edwards were released guys....

This guy is overweight/out of shape yearly. Gun will jump his butt for so long. The organization will quit on him. Just how long do you give it.....

MOhillbilly
06-20-2006, 11:56 AM

you got your angry pants on insideout.:)

Bob Dole
06-20-2006, 12:13 PM
But he gives maximum effort on every snap and sometimes makes a play with sheer determination.

Is this even true? Bob Dole can't remember much that happened before 2001.

shaneo69
06-20-2006, 12:26 PM
How about something more important like the FB situation or do you need to be a premium member to get that kind of stuff?

You mighta missed it, but FB Travis Wilson from K-State was cut the other day.

Hope that helps. :)

KCTitus
06-20-2006, 12:29 PM
You mighta missed it, but FB Travis Wilson from K-State was cut the other day.

Hope that helps. :)

We're doomed.

Hydrae
06-20-2006, 12:29 PM
...sometimes makes a play with sheer determination

But this is the NFL, sometimes is not a quality I want to hear about from a starter! :cuss:

Halfcan
06-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Sorry but I don't see Simms or Hicks starting in the opener. Someone will step up. Neither player has ever really shined in training camp, so I expect some new faces in there.

htismaqe
06-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Maybe he starts this year, but he is hurt off/on for so long.

Chiefs likely look at who gets released when the cuts happen and we get another vet. Reed/Edwards were released guys....

This guy is overweight/out of shape yearly. Gun will jump his butt for so long. The organization will quit on him. Just how long do you give it.....

Quality starting tackles are almost NEVER found via free agency, let alone after June 1.

It sucks to admit it, but there's just not anybody here or that we could get at this point that going to beat him out.

htismaqe
06-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Sorry but I don't see Simms or Hicks starting in the opener. Someone will step up. Neither player has ever really shined in training camp, so I expect some new faces in there.

We have a 1st-round pick just waiting to unseat Hicks. Who is gonna unseat Sims?

Answer: Nobody.

shaneo69
06-20-2006, 05:33 PM
We have a 1st-round pick just waiting to unseat Hicks. Who is gonna unseat Sims?

James Reed? Started every game for Herm last year, didn't he? :shrug:

Of course, a combination of Reed and Dalton or Edwards at tackle isn't going to scare anyone.

I thought we should've drafted one in the 3rd, not like they would start from opening day, but they could be in the rotation and at least they'd have more upside than the journeymen we've got now.

Tribal Warfare
06-20-2006, 07:03 PM
We're doomed.

pulling out the Lexicon ;)

big nasty kcnut
06-20-2006, 07:13 PM
In other news trent green is a good qb.

rad
06-20-2006, 07:16 PM
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235146

This guy looks OK.