PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the NBA rules focus too much on driving instead of jumpshots?

Moooo
06-20-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm just curious. I'm a fundamental shooter fan so I may be biased, but it seems like the NBA, for one reason or another is all about driving into the paint and whatnot. It seems like the jumpshot is a lost art at such a great level of play.

I'd like to see the NBA have the college three-point line. I'd like to see players like Ray Allen (just an example) and teams (the Pacers come to mind) be able to live and die by the jumpshot in the playoffs and have it work.

Anyway, I'd like to see what your guys' opinion is...

Moooo

Psyko Tek
06-20-2006, 11:36 PM
you ever watch the Suns play?
they drive to set up the three

milkman
06-20-2006, 11:42 PM
It's not the rules.

It's electronic media.

Jump shots don't make the highlights.

Moooo
06-20-2006, 11:44 PM
you ever watch the Suns play?
they drive to set up the three

Yeah, and they're usually criticized for not being aggressive enough come playoff time.

Look at a team like Duke, how much I loathe them. I want to see an NBA team put up 40 3s in a game and be able to be flat out feared by the opposing team for doing so. Now there's one or two in the mix, and even Phoenix can't do their thing without someone inside to help them out (like Amare, and whatever his name is from this year).

Moooo

StcChief
06-20-2006, 11:48 PM
What's with the 3 second paint rule for D players...
I guess that aid to open lanes. driving inside.

greg63
06-21-2006, 12:11 AM
No Gaz option. Sheesh! :D

KCChiefsMan
06-21-2006, 12:17 AM
you don't watch much basketball do you? The Heat are not a jump shooting team, they haven't been all year...Wade is very aggressive and very good...Nowvitzki (sp?) probably takes jump shots 75% of the time,

Moooo
06-21-2006, 12:18 AM
No Gaz option. Sheesh! :D

DAMN! I FORGOT! I'm sorry, I'm really crapping it up here with these polls. One of these days, I'll make a poll where Gaz is the first pick, just for you few, yet vocal people out there.

Moooo

Rudy lost the toss
06-21-2006, 12:19 AM
I would like to see basketball become a contact sport, giving the defense and opportunity to actually protect their own basket without goal-tending

Mecca
06-21-2006, 12:20 AM
I would like to see basketball become a contact sport, giving the defense and opportunity to actually protect their own basket without goal-tending

It this a joke? If not that might be the worst idea ever.....

Moooo
06-21-2006, 12:20 AM

I'd like to see too what would happen if they allowed goal tending in basketball... I wouldn't like it as much, if at all, but I'd like to see what the score would end up being. One things for sure. People like Shaq and Duncan's stock would skyrocket! Shawn Bradley would also come back and become league MVP!

Moooo

Mecca
06-21-2006, 12:21 AM
I'd like to see what would happen if they actually called games like they should. Let the teams run and get out and got back to 80's showtime basketball. The game would be alot more fun that's for sure.

noa
06-21-2006, 12:22 AM
I think players who are good free throw shooters, like Dwayne Wade and Dirk, really want to draw fouls, and the easiest way to do that is by driving to the hoop. Dwayne can do much more damage by driving than by pulling up for a jumper, even though he has an amazing jump shot.

Moooo
06-21-2006, 12:25 AM
I'd like to see what would happen if they actually called games like they should. Let the teams run and get out and got back to 80's showtime basketball. The game would be alot more fun that's for sure.

From what I see, Steve Nash is starting to bring that back a bit. So is LeBron for being a little less selfish than he could be.

I'm a youngin, so I don't remember the heyday of Bird and Magic. But I've watched them on shows on ESPN classic and I do nothing but wish things would go back to the way they were.

I get no greater satisfaction as far as the NBA than watching those old Celtics games from the 80s.

Moooo

milkman
06-21-2006, 12:26 AM

I agree.

I would also like to see the lane widened, and the 3 second rule strictly enforced, which would essentially eliminate the wrestling matches that take place under the basket.

Mecca
06-21-2006, 12:27 AM
From what I see, Steve Nash is starting to bring that back a bit. So is LeBron for being a little less selfish than he could be.

I'm a youngin, so I don't remember the heyday of Bird and Magic. But I've watched them on shows on ESPN classic and I do nothing but wish things would go back to the way they were.

I get no greater satisfaction as far as the NBA than watching those old Celtics games from the 80s.

Moooo

The Suns play that way, but other teams don't because less talented teams just beat the crap out of the teams with better players and call it defense. The Knicks with Riley......the Pistons of then and now all come to mind.

Moooo
06-21-2006, 12:30 AM
The Suns play that way, but other teams don't because less talented teams just beat the crap out of the teams with better players and call it defense. The Knicks with Riley......the Pistons of then and now all come to mind.

YEAH! I'll even go out on a limb and say NO WONDER the refs suck. Every play in the game is a judgement call. There's no official in any sport that has it as rough as them right now. IF they got back to the way it used to be the refs would straighten up, just because everything would be a bit more black and white.

Whoever started this thug hoops thing should be drug out into the street and shot.

Moooo

Mecca
06-21-2006, 12:32 AM
YEAH! I'll even go out on a limb and say NO WONDER the refs suck. Every play in the game is a judgement call. There's no official in any sport that has it as rough as them right now. IF they got back to the way it used to be the refs would straighten up, just because everything would be a bit more black and white.

Whoever started this thug hoops thing should be drug out into the street and shot.

Moooo

Alright man.......the Pistons. Bill Laimbeer, Isaih Thomas and all those guys in the late 80's started doing it because they knew they couldn't run with the Lakers and such.

Rudy lost the toss
06-21-2006, 12:33 AM
It this a joke? If not that might be the worst idea ever.....
I just rather it be more like hockey without the goalies. a lot less fouls with more contact and cheap shots. I first heard about this idea from Vince McMahon's website. He's going to call it XBL-Xtreme Basketball league. Look for it in 2010. I can't wait

Moooo
06-21-2006, 12:35 AM
Alright man.......the Pistons. Bill Laimbeer, Isaih Thomas and all those guys in the late 80's started doing it because they knew they couldn't run with the Lakers and such.

I knew they were known as dirty players, but I wasn't for certain whether or not they were the pioneers...of the dirtiness.

I'll stick to college...

Moooo

Spicy McHaggis
06-21-2006, 12:45 AM
Yes. See the last Olympics.

morphius
06-21-2006, 08:10 AM
As someone said, I'd like to see them enforce the rules they have now instead of being as biased as they are now (whether that bias is to a player, team, or just trying to keep the game close). Dump the Shaq rule under the basket, talk about stupid, lets make rules so we don't have to call fouls on a big name player. Cut the number of time outs, the last 2 minutes of the game should not take 1/2 the actual time, maybe even call the fouls what they are, intentional.

Someone mentioned making it more like hockey, but I think the best thing hockey could bring to the game is the way they switch players out on the fly. Is the checking in with the table really needed? Just let one guy run off the court and let someone else run on, it isn't that difficult.

DaKCMan AP
06-21-2006, 08:18 AM
It's about getting a high percentage shot. I don't care how good of a shooter you are, the closer to the basket = the higher percentage shot.

DaKCMan AP
06-21-2006, 08:20 AM
BTW, you'll be getting some more high-profile jump shooters next season in JJ and Morrison.

ck_IN
06-21-2006, 09:06 AM
In it's effort to market itself to younger fans the rules have been changed to encourage the slam dunk. It makes for great highlight reels on ESPN, NBA Today, etc.

As a result you can see kids on most every playground trying to dunk all the time rather then working on a jumpshot because that's what they saw on Sportscenter and they think that lets them talk trash which is also what they see from their heroes.

Personally I'd leave the distance alone but change the value from 3 to 4 points. I'd also think about changing it so if a shooter was fouled out there they'd get their 4 free throws and keep posession.