PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Guillen's Big Mouth

KevB
06-21-2006, 12:04 PM
This would be potentially offensive if it weren't so damn funny.

Who calls someone a f@g anymore? (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2494491)

On Tuesday to reporters, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen referred to Chicago Sun-Times columnist and Around the Horn contributor Jay Mariotti as a derogatory name for a homosexual.

Angry with a recent column by Mariotti critical of Guillen's handling of recently demoted relief pitcher Sean Tracey and upset with Mariotti with columns of the past, Guillen said to reporters when referring to Mariotti before Tuesday's game with the Cardinals, "What a piece of [expletive] he is, [expletive] Rump Ranger."

"I don't have anything against those people. In my country, you call someone something like that and it is not the same as it is in this country."
Ozzie Guillen
Mariotti was covering the NBA Finals Tuesday night and was not present to hear what Guillen said.

Columnist Greg Couch of the Sun-Times wrote a column Wednesday in response, calling for commissioner Bud Selig to suspend Guillen for his use of a "hurtful homophobic" term.

Before writing the column, Couch asked Guillen for an explanation. Guillen defended his use of the term "Rump Ranger" by saying this about homosexuals and the use of the word in question: "I don't have anything against those people. In my country, you call someone something like that and it is not the same as it is in this country.''

Guillen said that in his native Venezuela, that word is not a reference to a person's sexuality, but to his courage. He said he was saying that Mariotti is "not man enough to meet me and talk about [things before writing].''

Guillen also told Couch that he has gay friends, attends WNBA games, went to a Madonna concert and plans to go to the Gay Games in Chicago. ROFL ROFL

"I called that of this man [Mariotti],'' he told Couch. "I'm not trying to hurt anybody [else]."

Scott Reifert, the White Sox's vice president of communications, offered to apologize on behalf of the organization when approached by Couch.

"To anybody who was insulted or hurt by that comment ... as an organization, we'll certainly apologize," Reifert told Couch.

JBucc
06-21-2006, 12:05 PM
ROFL he's right too.

CupidStunt
06-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Selig's the fag if no suspension is handed out.

Guillen gets away with enough shit as it is; this is inexcusable.

StcChief
06-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Ozzie Guillan <> PC that's ok with me.

Get over it, this is still a free country to speak you mind.

alpha_omega
06-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Mariotti's next article should be entertaining!

Cochise
06-21-2006, 01:02 PM
It's true that those kinds of terms don't mean the same things in other cultures as they do here.

Guillien should probably know better though. He didn't arrive in the US yesterday.

Bootlegged
06-21-2006, 01:13 PM
I see nothing wrong with his conduct, save attending Madonna concerts/Gay Games.

StcChief
06-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Mariotti's next article should be entertaining!

If he comes out of the closet or not. ROFL

58-4ever
06-21-2006, 01:18 PM

Unless it's in a business setting and you're representing an enterprise such as Major League Baseball. Then, your speech matters and he should be held accountable. Even though I do think Mariotti is a f@g.

KCTitus
06-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Guillen also told Couch that he has gay friends, attends WNBA games, went to a Madonna concert and plans to go to the Gay Games in Chicago.

This is too funny...especially the WNBA thing.

CupidStunt
06-21-2006, 01:21 PM

Um, no.

If you need the explanation as to why your statement is absurd, you're already past the point of ever understanding life.

chagrin
06-21-2006, 01:22 PM
It's true that those kinds of terms don't mean the same things in other cultures as they do here.

Guillien should probably know better though. He didn't arrive in the US yesterday.

I know a few Dominicans down here in Florida, they say that term, word etc. will get yourself beat the fug up, or worse, if you call someone that where they come from.

KevB
06-21-2006, 01:24 PM
This is too funny...especially the WNBA thing.

It's classic. In his attempt to rationalize his offensive comments....he offends another set of people. He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

FringeNC
06-21-2006, 01:29 PM
I laughed out loud when I read the WNBA thing. Guillen is so clueless that he doesn't realize he is still digging the hole.

But in a sense he is right...how many of us haven't called someone a "faggot" and really meant nothing by it. Is calling someone a "pussy" a "genitalia slur"?

DaneMcCloud
06-21-2006, 01:32 PM

Guillen can speak his mind all he wants but if I were Mariotti, I'd sue his ass for slander. It's very obvious that Guillen knows the meaning of that saying.

Simplex3
06-21-2006, 01:41 PM
Um, no.

If you need the explanation as to why your statement is absurd, you're already past the point of ever understanding life.
What he should have said was "this USED to be a free country and we USED to have free speech." Now we're so cravenly PC that we've actually introduced crimes and increased penalties based on what you're thinking, much less what you may or may not have said.

Simplex3
06-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Guillen can speak his mind all he wants but if I were Mariotti, I'd sue his ass for slander. It's very obvious that Guillen knows the meaning of that saying.
To sue him for slander wouldn't you be admitting you feel that being called a f*g is derogatory?

:)

Short Leash Hootie
06-21-2006, 01:46 PM
haha, that's hilarious.

CupidStunt
06-21-2006, 01:46 PM
But in a sense he is right...how many of us haven't called someone a "pillowbiter" and really meant nothing by it. Is calling someone a "pussy" a "genitalia slur"?

How many of us manage and represent Major League Baseball franchises?

DaneMcCloud
06-21-2006, 01:48 PM
To sue him for slander wouldn't you be admitting you feel that being called a f*g is derogatory?

:)

Uh, yeah, that's the point. Guillen KNEW it was derogatory, otherwise he would't have brought up the WNBA and those obvious connotations. Mariotti should sue his ass and drag Guillen's name through the mud. I know I would.

Frazod
06-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Mariotti is a hateful prick. It's high time somebody called him out.

Ozzie :thumb:

PC assclowns 4321

StcChief
06-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Mariotti is a hateful prick. It's high time somebody called him out.

Ozzie :thumb:

PC assclowns 4321

Well let's see what this "pillowbiter" does.

Chicago may not be big enough for both of them.

My money is on the WS champ manager.

ROFL

Monkeylook4food
06-21-2006, 01:55 PM
How many of us manage and represent Major League Baseball franchises?

I wouldn't dream of taking that demotion.

FringeNC
06-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Uh, yeah, that's the point. Guillen KNEW it was derogatory, otherwise he would't have brought up the WNBA and those obvious connotations. Mariotti should sue his ass and drag Guillen's name through the mud. I know I would.

I'm no lawyer, but I find it hard to believe that one is entitled to restitution for being called a "faggot". In fact, I am almost positive that would be laughed out of court.

MVChiefFan
06-21-2006, 02:30 PM
OH MAN!!! That was hilarious! I lost it when I read the WNBA quote! This isn't the first time he's done this either. I read an interview with him in Playboy and man he was cuttin' lose. Droppin' f-bombs like no other and bustin' on everybody. He has already gotten in trouble because he was at a big gathering (in New York I think) ran into one of his old pals and proceeded to yell (in good humor) that he was a "f@g". I guess there was a writer there that heard him and started rippin' on him in an article and demanded an apology. He said that it doesn't mean the same thing and they call each other that all the time. Sounds familiar.

DaneMcCloud
06-21-2006, 02:46 PM
I'm no lawyer, but I find it hard to believe that one is entitled to restitution for being called a "pillowbiter". In fact, I am almost positive that would be laughed out of court.

We're not talking about being in the company of a few friends, Guillen made a slanderous remarks in the third largest market in America. Those remarks were also reprinted and will be spoken about nationally (and possibly internationally) for days to come. I think there will be sufficient justification to bring about a slander suit.

If people can win slander cases against such publications as the Star, People, etc., for similiar untrue allegations, I don't see why a court wouldn't hear it, if it got that far.

siberian khatru
06-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Instead of questioning Mariotti's sexuality, why doesn't Ozzie just order one of his pitchers to throw at him?

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Guillen is a piece of trash, no more, but maybe quite less.

Cochise
06-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Instead of questioning Mariotti's sexuality, why doesn't Ozzie just order one of his pitchers to throw at him?

Maybe he wouldn't consider balls hitting him in the face punishment?

siberian khatru
06-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Maybe he wouldn't consider balls hitting him in the face punishment?

Nicely played.

Calcountry
06-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Guillen is a piece of trash, no more, but maybe quite less.Great, nice to see you way in on this. Now I KNOW what is right. The elitist hath spoken, so let it be.

I believe that there is nothing of value to be found in your posts so I am gonna add your trashy ass piece of shithead elitist mentality to the iggy list. Shouldn't bother you though, after all, you equated your evolution to that of a dog yesterday.

Good bye dickhead.

ENDelt260
06-21-2006, 07:16 PM
If Mariotti brought some sort of suit and I was Guillen, for giggles I'd suggest this defense to my lawyer.

Claimant is incapable of further defamation–e.g., the claimants' position in the community is so poor that even if the statement was defamatory there can be not actual damage to the plaintiff, failing the fourth requirement for a justified libel claim. These claimants' are "libel-proof."

Of course, reading Dane's lawsuit suggestions immediately brought to mind a movie I once saw...

In 1988, in Hustler Magazine v. Falwell, (485 U.S. 46), the Supreme Court ruled that a parody advertisement claiming Jerry Falwell had engaged in an incestuous act with his mother in an outhouse, while false, could not allow Falwell to win damages for emotional distress because the statement was so obviously ridiculous that it was clearly not true; an allegation believed by nobody, it was ruled, brought no liability upon the author. The court thus overturned a lower court's upholding of an award where the jury had decided against the claim of libel but had awarded damages for emotional distress.

I don't think anyone who heard Guillen's comment believed he had determined Mariotti's sexual orientation based on a column.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Great, nice to see you way in on this. Now I KNOW what is right. The elitist hath spoken, so let it be.

I believe that there is nothing of value to be found in your posts so I am gonna add your trashy ass piece of shithead elitist mentality to the iggy list. Shouldn't bother you though, after all, you equated your evolution to that of a dog yesterday.

Good bye dickhead.

:deevee:

Sam Hall
06-21-2006, 07:27 PM
I see nothing wrong with verbally blasting Jay Mariotti.

FringeNC
06-21-2006, 07:31 PM
If Mariotti brought some sort of suit and I was Guillen, for giggles I'd suggest this defense to my lawyer.

Claimant is incapable of further defamation–e.g., the claimants' position in the community is so poor that even if the statement was defamatory there can be not actual damage to the plaintiff, failing the fourth requirement for a justified libel claim. These claimants' are "libel-proof."

Of course, reading Dane's lawsuit suggestions immediately brought to mind a movie I once saw...

I don't think anyone who heard Guillen's comment believed he had determined Mariotti's sexual orientation based on a column.

Yeah, you'd think that'd be a good defense for Guillen; however, Mike Tyson tried a similar defense for his rape trial. His defense was essentially that Mike Tyson is a known sexual predator, and the women was an idiot for going up to Tyson's room. Although it sounds reasonable, many on the jury evidently felt, well, if Tyson's own lawyers say he is such a scumbag, even if he isn't guilty here, he is probably a threat to society.

I'm not sure it's a good defense for your lawyers to start the trial by saying..."well, everyone already knows my client is a scumbag..."

ENDelt260
06-21-2006, 07:32 PM
You're an idiot. Try reading my post again.

FringeNC
06-21-2006, 07:37 PM
You're an idiot. Try reading my post again.

Ahhh...I see. "Claimant".

DaneMcCloud
06-21-2006, 07:54 PM

Good point, though Jerry Falwell's position is probably a little more overstated than Mariotti. But if I were Mariotti, I'd still put up a stink. It would be weird if he just said nothing, wouldn't it?

ENDelt260
06-21-2006, 08:08 PM
I'm sure he'll raise a stink. I don't think it'd be worthwhile to waste people's time with legal action... but, I'm not a lawyer so wtf do I know?

Frazod
06-21-2006, 09:38 PM
Some further thoughts on this thread:

I'm sure Guillen doesn't really think Mariotti is a homosexual. He just called him a fAg, because it's something he's always said, just like most of us have always said it. I was stuck behind a guy in traffic the other day who was driving 10 miles under the speed limit. I yelled, "Get the hell out of my way, you fAg!" Do I think he was gay? No. He was just driving slow and pissing me off. I was on the phone with one of my friends yesterday. As usual, we were insulting each other. At one point I called him a c#cksucker, and at another point he called me a motherf#cker. I'm quite sure he doesn't suck cocks, and I'm sure he's sure that I don't have sex with my dead mother.

The difference between what Ozzie said and what I said? Nothing, really. Ozzie shot his mouth off in front of a reporter, while I said my stuff while I was alone in my car and having a private conversation with a friend. But when you blast away all the crap, there's really no difference at all. Should I be castigated as well? Should you be for the last un-PC thing you said?

Ozzie's main crime here? Not thinking about where he was and saying the same shit that he's always said and always will say, in front of the media. There is a face we ALL put on when interracting with others, whether it's at work, at a bar, on the BB, wherever. We all know what we should and shouldn't say. Most of the time, we keep to the PC without incident. Every now and then there's a slip.

None of us is without prejudice. We all privately say and think things that wouldn't pass PC muster. We all carry the baggage of things we've learned as kids and said and thought since childhood. Sometimes these things are unlearned. More often than not, though, they're simply hidden behind a carefully cultivated bouquet of bullshit. I have my demons, and if you get me drunk or mad enough, or perhaps just catch me off guard, I just might show them to you. Even though it would be better if I didn't.

This is all of us. If you say it isn't you, you're either a liar or a space alien. This is everybody who's howling at the top of their lungs for Ozzie's head as well. The worst ingredient of political correctness is hypocrasy. Seems like I read somewhere once the words "let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Well, that certainly isn't me.

And it isn't any of you, either.

WilliamTheIrish
06-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Fraz,

shut the hell up. FAggot./

Frazod
06-21-2006, 09:54 PM
Fraz,

shut the hell up. FAggot./

Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

I Have No Imagination
06-21-2006, 09:55 PM
I call people FAgs all the time. And I just came out of the closet.