PDA

View Full Version : NFT: WSJ on new KC arena

StcChief
06-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Interesting take on it.

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB115085572614085971-0KWJxZqtlm3h_ta5mweqW2eotbE_20070620.html?mod=rss_free

ChiefsfaninPA
06-22-2006, 11:53 AM
The saddest part of it, is when these ventures fail in smaller cities the tax payers are left holding the bag. In the city I live outside of, they are building a stadium for an Atlantic League team. Only problem is, another city about 30 miles away has a team that is a two years old and the attendance is already down. The city I live in is not a big city that can support a team considering you can drive up to Harrisburg in about 30 min. and watch a REAL minor league team. Or you could drive 45 minutes south and catch a Orioles game. But the city keeps talking about all of the boxes they have leased to business. They never talk about the unsecured bond payments that the taxpayer will have to pay if the operation isn't profitable.

StcChief
06-22-2006, 12:05 PM
The saddest part of it, is when these ventures fail in smaller cities the tax payers are left holding the bag. In the city I live outside of, they are building a stadium for an Atlantic League team. Only problem is, another city about 30 miles away has a team that is a two years old and the attendance is already down. The city I live in is not a big city that can support a team considering you can drive up to Harrisburg in about 30 min. and watch a REAL minor league team. Or you could drive 45 minutes south and catch a Orioles game. But the city keeps talking about all of the boxes they have leased to business. They never talk about the unsecured bond payments that the taxpayer will have to pay if the operation isn't profitable.

Yep. It's a real gamble for a real small market.

KC will very likely get a winter sport team. NBA or NHL.....
convention business, knife/gun shows, etc.

I thought the America's center add on (The Eddie now) in STL was gamble...

Other issue is things you mentioned too much competition close by

Not much of that here.