PDA

View Full Version : Q/A Herm Edwards 6/22/06

CoMoChief
06-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Q&A with Herm Edwards – 6/22
Jun 22, 2006, 1:07:33 PM

OTA's

HERM EDWARDS: “It was kind of fitting that practice really had these kinds of conditions today (driving rain). You have to play in the rain; there’s no doubt about it. I think the last game against San Diego (2005) they had a heck of a game in the rain. You have to be able to function that way and it was a good test for us, especially for the young players who did a pretty good job in handling things.

“Now they can get a little bit of rest. We’ve got 36 days before we go to training camp and then approximately 33 practices, four pre-season games and then…. We still have some time to do some things and the players need a rest. I told them it would be a shame that after all the work they put in that we have to come to training camp and emphasize conditioning. I’m not a big believer in waking guys up at 5 o’clock in the morning and have them run before practice. If they want to do that, that’s fine. For the most part I think these guys will handle it and they’ll be a lot of competition at training camp.”

Q: You had a rookie mini-camp, a team mini-camp and 13 OTA’s. What did you see out of this team this early?

EDWARDS: “It’s adapting to a new coaching staff and the style of what we’re trying to do. The thing that I liked the most is they understand the tempo of practice. To a man we were a better conditioned team at the end. I think they understand that. I think they understand the tempo at which we practice is not going to change.

“I thought techniques and fundamentals of players improved as we got through this. You don’t know how physical a guy is until you put the pads on. That’s the next phase and then training camp puts us all in the same environment. We’ve got to practice twice a day; the beds are not the most comfortable beds. The food’s pretty good, but other than that there’s a lot of inconvenience in camp, but it’s a level playing field and you find out the guys who are mentally and physically tough enough to deal with that.

“The next thing is the availability of the player. How is he able to handle that? You can be a coachable player but if you’re not an available player it doesn’t do us any good to evaluate you.

Q: Does it concern you going into camp that you don’t have John Welbourne now and that may be a position that might concern you?

EDWARDS: “We’ve got Kyle Turley, so that helps you. He’s been successful, but we’ve got three tackles we’re very comfortable with. For the most part, we’ve got three young backup guys who have an opportunity to play and our guard play is pretty good. I think we’ll be ok.”

Q: Anything you see from Kyle in his comeback?

EDWARDS: “He’s been away from it for a while but I think he understands where he needs to be weight-wise. Now it’s a just a matter of him functioning in starting to practice. He’s been to every practice, has played a lot in the practices and is looking forward to putting the pads on and playing football because the one thing he brings that he can’t show right now is when he puts the pads on and it becomes a physical game.”

Q: There are a lot of defensive things you’ve been able to accomplish as far as an attitude adjustment.

EDWARDS: “That was very important: that our mind set had to change and I think for the most part it has changed. Now, we’ve got to make the next change and that’s we have to be a very physical team. We have to be a very fast team on defense, too, and I think we have some guys who understand that. Now, we’ve got to get it done.

“The offense is going to change a little bit with a new coordinator. Mike (Solari) is going to have to get a feel for how we call plays and what we run. For me it’s going to be offense and determining the players that are going to make plays there. I’m a big believer in that. Get the match-ups. There are four or five guys over there that can make plays. Now we’ve just got to find a way to get them the ball.”

Q: Back on the defense, there were not a lot of personnel changes this year. Do you believe the personnel here is good enough if they change their mind-set?

EDWARDS: “I think there is change. We drafted an end, two young safeties, acquired some linebackers last year. Pretty good players. I just think that it’s changed in the fact that there is more competition. The players that have been here in the past understand that. Now, we’re going to play a little bit different on defense than we did in the past. So, this has been a good experience for them to learn the system they’re going to be under. Quite frankly, the demands they’re going to be under are great. I think they understand that and now it’s just a matter of them coming together as a football team.”

Q: Do you have some guys who are at the fork of the road in their careers who need the light to go on?

EDWARDS: “I don’t worry about the lights. Mine’s on and if theirs isn’t on, so be it. Like I always tell players at training camp: as coaches you probably never pick the 53 most talented guys. It’s always the guys you feel are going to help you win and understand what it takes to be a team. That’s what I’m looking for and it’s a level player field at training camp and I mean level. I’m going to play the guys that are productive players who buy into what we’re trying to do. It doesn’t matter to me if you’re a high-round draft choice, a free agent or if you’ve been here five years or six. It really doesn’t matter to me. They have to understand that and I’m pretty sure they understand that’s my mind set. With that being said, we’re looking forward to training camp.”

Q: How many times have you seen even in just shorts a defensive mind-set beginning to change?

EDWARDS: “I was very fortunate to hire four coaches: Gunther as coordinator, and the position coaches. I think they’re excellent teachers and very demanding. I think when you have a teacher who’s demanding and you’re consistent every day players get better. I’ve seen guys get better in shorts. They’re coachable, doing what they’re asked to do – that’s the first step – and then a lot of them are available. Some of them are not available and they’re behind. If they’re a player who hasn’t been available in the past they’re really going to be behind once we get to training camp. The train’s going to leave and it’s not going to wait on anybody. They know that.”

Q: Does it help that you and some of your coaches played the game?

EDWARDS: “I think that helps in a sense. They respect it some but you still have to coach and they’ve got trust you and you’ve got to earn players’ trust. I think for the most part it’s pretty clear what kind of guy I am. They figured that out already. I’m going to be very honest, not here to embarrass players. I’m here to make players better players. There’s a way we’re going to do it and I think they understand that. I think that’s the most important thing: how we do it. There’s a lot of different ways to do things: 32 different ways. We’re going to do it the way the Chiefs do it and that’s all that matters.”

Q: Are they getting that?

EDWARDS: “You need to ask them that. But if I was guessing: yeah, I think they’re getting it.”

Q: Ty Law?

EDWARDS: “What about him? Like I told you: I told you at the beginning when it became a topic: he won’t sign; you won’t see Ty Law until training camp somewhere.”

Q: Are you hoping it’s in a Kansas City Chiefs uniform?

EDWARDS: “I’m just saying we’ll see him in someone’s training camp and I’ll leave it at that.”

John_Wayne
06-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Ty Law!

Hydrae
06-22-2006, 03:42 PM
Q: Are they getting that?

EDWARDS: “You need to ask them that. But if I was guessing: yeah, I think they’re getting it.”

I like Herm just fine but we aren't even to his first training camp and I am already tired of "I think they understand that."

StcChief
06-22-2006, 03:45 PM
You will see him at training camp somewhere.....

Media let it go, he's not tipping his hand or the Chiefs.

Glad he's happy at RT/LT.

Defense we will see how much attitude changed.

Sims this means you, get inshape by end of july.

DTLB58
06-22-2006, 04:27 PM
I like Herm just fine but we aren't even to his first training camp and I am already tired of "I think they understand that."

I was sick of "At the end of the day" after the first press conference. We thought Marty had some one liners that stuck.....This guy LOVES to talk.

Count Alex's Losses
06-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Does anyone get the feeling that Herm knows more about offense than DV knew about defense? I just get that general feeling reading his interviews.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-22-2006, 04:47 PM
Does anyone get the feeling that Herm knows more about offense than DV knew about defense? I just get that general feeling reading his interviews.

I have a hunch DV didn't know shit about defense. (cough)...look how left the chiefs...(cough). I don't know about Herm. He knows you have to score to win.

HemiEd
06-22-2006, 04:54 PM
I was sick of "At the end of the day" after the first press conference. We thought Marty had some one liners that stuck.....This guy LOVES to talk.

At least he seems to have gotten off of the "last time I checked." phrase. That grew old very quickly.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-22-2006, 08:03 PM
This article is really boring. Herm didn't say anything interesting (gets the planet pissed off) or controversial. He basically repeated himself and said shit we could have figured out for ourselves.

FAX
06-22-2006, 08:05 PM
At least he seems to have gotten off of the "last time I checked." phrase. That grew old very quickly.

I'm not sure whether he's over it or he just hasn't checked on anything lately, Mr. HemiEd.

FAX

NJ Chief Fan
06-22-2006, 08:06 PM
they should ask him what they think about jared allen trying out for qb for the bucs ROFL :)

HemiEd
06-22-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm not sure whether he's over it or he just hasn't checked on anything lately, Mr. HemiEd.

FAX

ROFL That could be the logical answer, had not thought of it that way Fax.

shaneo69
06-22-2006, 08:25 PM
“The offense is going to change a little bit with a new coordinator. Mike (Solari) is going to have to get a feel for how we call plays and what we run.

This is an interesting comment. Not really sure what to make of it. I hope Herm's not implying that he will be calling the plays like Shanahan or Holmgren.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-22-2006, 08:40 PM
This article is really boring. Herm didn't say anything interesting (gets the planet pissed off) or controversial. He basically repeated himself and said shit we could have figured out for ourselves.

In his defense (pun intended), he is asked the same questions EVERY FRICKING DAY. That has to get old at some point. Right now they are just looking at different players to see what who they want to focus on in training camp. There can't be much new stuff to report everyday. For christs sake they aren't even wearing pads yet. And the interview always ends with Law. So yeah, if I was him I would just keep repeating myself daily.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-22-2006, 08:46 PM
In his defense (pun intended), he is asked the same questions EVERY FRICKING DAY. That has to get old at some point. Right now they are just looking at different players to see what who they want to focus on in training camp. There can't be much new stuff to report everyday. For christs sake they aren't even wearing pads yet. And the interview always ends with Law. So yeah, if I was him I would just keep repeating myself daily.

If he told us Kendral Bell is sucking and Ryan Sims is fat, there would probably be 200 replies to this thread. They would both be repeats of things we already know. ROFL

ChiefsfaninPA
06-22-2006, 08:47 PM
If he told us Kendral Bell is sucking and Ryan Sims is fat, there would probably be 200 replies to this thread. They would both be repeats of things we already know. ROFL

I guess he can only say that in so many ways.

chief4life
06-22-2006, 09:18 PM
I saw the video of him talking about Ty Law at the end watch it but he ooked like he was hiding something from someone or knows more than he wants us to know. Watch the video and see I think he is going to be a chief but that i just my opinion

Halfcan
06-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Ty Law will be in SOMEBODYS camp-there's a news flash. Nick Predicted that months ago-lol.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-22-2006, 09:23 PM
I saw the video of him talking about Ty Law at the end watch it but he ooked like he was hiding something from someone or knows more than he wants us to know. Watch the video and see I think he is going to be a chief but that i just my opinion

I noticed that too. :hmmm:

ChiefsfaninPA
06-22-2006, 09:23 PM

You are really reaching on this one. It might have just been a little gas.

beer bacon
06-22-2006, 10:31 PM

I just saw that part of the interview on the news. Herm certainly does look smug when he is talking about Law.

milkman
06-22-2006, 10:32 PM

And at the end of the day, even with all that talking, he doesn't say a damn thing.

milkman
06-22-2006, 10:35 PM

I sure as hell don't.

I get the feeling he just has a general direction that he wants to go, and that he hopes Solari can do something with it.

That's the way I felt his offense in NY was run, as well.

blueballs
06-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Jet fans call
Edward's training camp
Camp Marshmallow

KChiefs1
06-22-2006, 10:49 PM

I won't believe it until Nick Athan says it.

beer bacon
06-22-2006, 10:50 PM
I won't believe it until Nick Athan says it.

He said it like 14 months ago so believe it!

FAX
06-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Would you guys say that our defense would be 10% better with Law on board, or say 50% better?

FAX

NaptownChief
06-22-2006, 11:11 PM
I sure as hell don't.

I get the feeling he just has a general direction that he wants to go, and that he hopes Solari can do something with it.

That's the way I felt his offense in NY was run, as well.

Considering they were changing OC's with the Jets like most change clothes tells me you are probably dead on....

rad
06-23-2006, 04:15 AM
And at the end of the day, even with all that talking, he doesn't say a damn thing.
ROFL ROFL

Inspector
06-23-2006, 06:25 AM
EDWARDS: “We’ve got Kyle Turley, so that helps you."

Man, Turley better be what he used to be. I think Herm is really counting on that.