PDA

View Full Version : Hey Mr. Shamalamalan!

FAX
06-22-2006, 09:40 PM
Hey Planeteers! This is FAX.

I just watched Signs on TV. I really liked that movie so I thought I'd start a new thread entitled, "Hey Mr. Shamalamalan!" I hope Mr. morphius doesn't delete this thread and I hope I get 20 posts on it.

I really like his movies even though I can't figure out his name. Also, I can't decide if I liked The Sixth Sense better than Signs. And, I know that he has a new one coming out (Lady In The Water) which I am looking forward to because it has that same girl that was in The Village who (I think) is related to the guy who played that kid in that old TV show about the small town.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you guys thought. This should, of course, be a poll but I still lack the necessary knowledge to create a poll. So, here's his filmography (the ones he's both written and directed).

Praying with Anger (1992)
Wide Awake (1998)
The Sixth Sense (1999)
Unbreakable (2000)
Signs (2002)
The Village (2004)

Do you guys like his movies? If so, which one(s) do you prefer? If not, why? Do you think Tony G will ever act in one?

Disclaimers: Sorry if repost. Sorry if stupid post. Sorry if toooooo spooky post.

FAX

CHENZ A!
06-22-2006, 09:47 PM
I thought Signs and The Village were awesome, but I never saw the Sixth Sense because someone ruined it for me. I also would like to see his new movie when it comes out. Did anyone see the commercial he's in? it's for Mastercard I think, pretty cool as far as commercials go.

DaneMcCloud
06-22-2006, 09:48 PM
I liked Stuart Little the best, though his next movie, the Evil Revenge of Stuart Little will probably be my all-time favorite.

Chieficus
06-22-2006, 09:48 PM
Liked 6th Sense, Loved Unbreakable, Signs was okay...

and I think I'm one of like 10 people who enjoyed the village (saw it twice in the theater--though the second viewing was a $2 second run theater, so that might not count--did see Unbreakable 3 times on its first run, though)...

I haven't read much about Lady In the Water, but I'll probably at least see it in the theater... doesn't sound like he's going for the "twist" so much in it as just a weird story...

hypersensitiveZO6
06-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Post number 5.

Pretty good movies. Signs and the Sixth Sense top my list. "Hey Mr. Shamalamalam!" is very appropriate.

FAX
06-22-2006, 09:51 PM
I liked Stuart Little the best, though his next movie, the Evil Revenge of Stuart Little will probably be my all-time favorite.

I never saw that one, Mr. DaneMcCloud, and didn't include it because he just wrote the screenplay.

Unless you seriously recommend it, I don't think I'll see it, though. I'm not crazy about mice. Cartooned, Digitized, Labbed or otherwise.

FAX

Frazod
06-22-2006, 09:55 PM
SIGNS SUCKS.

A stupid movie about a farmer who sleeps in and never works, and who doesn't own a gun, and aliens who have the technology to travel across the galaxy, are on a mission of conquest, but also don't have guns, and are stupid enough to get trapped in a pantry.

THIS MOVIE KILLS BRAINCELLS. 4321

FAX
06-22-2006, 09:58 PM
I thought Signs and The Village were awesome, but I never saw the Sixth Sense because someone ruined it for me. I also would like to see his new movie when it comes out. Did anyone see the commercial he's in? it's for Mastercard I think, pretty cool as far as commercials go.

That's really sucks about The Sixth Sense, Mr. CHENZ A!. That movie really got me. I pride myself on figuring out endings and that one took me completely by surprise. It was an awsome feeling to get fooled like that. Frankly, that's why the movie ranks so high in my all time list.

The commercial is cool. I saw a pseudo documentary about him on one of the cable channels before The Village was released that also portrayed him as a truly other-worldly connected person. His publicist/agent does a great job of looking for ways to maintain that image for him. If I was in the movies, that's exactly the type of image I would like to have. That or a cowboy.

FAX

morphius
06-22-2006, 09:58 PM
I have only seen 3 of those movies, 6th sense was by far my favorite. While I enjoyed unbreakable, the movie moved so slowly that I really never felt the urge to watch it ever again. Signs was okay, not great, not anything I would recommend a friend to go see.

DaneMcCloud
06-22-2006, 09:59 PM
I never saw that one, Mr. DaneMcCloud, and didn't include it because he just wrote the screenplay.

Unless you seriously recommend it, I don't think I'll see it, though. I'm not crazy about mice. Cartooned, Digitized, Labbed or otherwise.

FAX

Sorry Fax, just being sarcastic. Did Frazod ever tell you his feelings on Signs? If not, search the archives. No kidding.

KCFalcon59
06-22-2006, 10:00 PM
SIGNS SUCKS.

A stupid movie about a farmer who sleeps in and never works, and who doesn't own a gun, and aliens who have the technology to travel across the galaxy, are on a mission of conquest, but also don't have guns, and are stupid enough to get trapped in a pantry.

I saw this thread and wondered how long it would take you to post. ROFL

Good stuff.

Frazod
06-22-2006, 10:00 PM
Sorry Fax, just being sarcastic. Did Frazod ever tell you his feelings on Signs? If not, search the archives. No kidding.

I just gave him the Reader's Digest condensed version. :D

God I hate that movie. :#

Moooo
06-22-2006, 10:01 PM
What a Twist!!!

Moooo

Frazod

Good stuff.

Apparently my Signs rantings left a mark, eh? :)

AZORChiefFan
Some bitch (Becky the fat whore) I used to work with ruined 6th sense for me. I watched it anyway and noticed the hints and always wondered if I woulda figured it out had I not known the 'twist'.

FAX
06-22-2006, 10:03 PM
SIGNS SUCKS.

I think I know what you're trying to say here, Mr. frazod. The surface of the movie was lame in a lot of ways. Like the book the boy got that just happened to have all the answers to what was occuring with the invasion.

But, what I liked was the way that all the pieces came together in the end. The water glasses, the asthma, the "see" charge, "swing away", etc. I thought that was cool. Also, I liked the way he portrayed the aliens. Sort of in a non-monster movie way. Plus, there were some really good shots. I liked the use of the lost flashlight in the basement to create suspense, for example.

FAX

ChiefFan31
06-22-2006, 10:03 PM
I liked Sixth Sense alot. The movie wasnt spoiled for me...

Unbreakable, I didnt really like it the first time I watched it. But had bought the DVD and popped it in a year or so later. I really enjoyed it. Must have been my expectations of the movie at first. Its a bad ass movie.

Signs was pretty good. I didnt like Village all that much, but the way it ends is good.

I have not watched or heard of his first two, wonder if there are any good

and its Sha hama lama han, or some shit :)

Frazod
06-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Some bitch (Becky the fat whore) I used to work with ruined 6th sense for me. I watched it anyway and noticed the hints and always wondered if I woulda figured it out had I not known the 'twist'.

It sucks that people do that. I was completely blown away by the ending and didn't see it coming at all. When I watched it again looking for the clues, they were there in abundance. Guess I got OWN3D on that one.

KCFalcon59
06-22-2006, 10:05 PM
Apparently my Signs rantings left a mark, eh? :)

All your rantings are legendary!

BIG K
06-22-2006, 10:07 PM
Do you guys like his movies? If so, which one(s) do you prefer? If not, why? Do you think Tony G will ever act in one?

Disclaimers: Sorry if repost. Sorry if stupid post. Sorry if toooooo spooky post.

FAX

Signs was a HUGE dissapointment to me.

JBucc
06-22-2006, 10:09 PM
The first hour of Signs was good and had some good scary and suspenseful(sp?) moments, but then it's like the studio ran out of money and they just slapped some crap together and I hate kids in movies.

JBucc
06-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Oh and the aliens were gay and the special effects sucked.

DaneMcCloud
06-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Fax,

As far as Shamalayan goes, I'm a big fan. I did figure out the Sixth Sense in the first 10 minutes, but I really enjoyed the movie. Another movie that is similar in style and substance is "The Others". Alejandro Amenabar not only wrote the screenplay and directed the movie, he also scored it as well. It's a creepy thriller that fans of the Sixth Sense would probably enjoy.

I LOVED "Unbreakable", though there is a definite split in viewership. Some people hate it, some people love it - it's hard to find anyone in between. I personally think it's among the coolest Comic Book stories ever put on film. M. Night had originally envisioned it three movies but because of the negativity surrounding the movie, he's decided to leave it at just one.

Frazod has obviously given you a condensed version of his feelings for "Signs". I think the movie is a great movie if you take it as it is - not an alien movie, not a movie about a would-be farmer but as a man who has lost his faith in life and in God. The "Signs" are there to point him back in the direction of the spirituality that he lost when his wife died. I think it's a pretty cool movie, but definitely 3rd on my list.

The Village was okay but I felt it was hampered by the fact that there had to be a "twist" somewhere. The story was pretty cool and the reveal was okay, but I think just about everyone had higher hopes for that movie.

As far as Lady of the Lake, I haven't heard a thing about it, good or bad. I'm kinda glad too, so that way when I see it, I won't be looking for something that's not there. After the "bomb" of "The Village" and looking too hard for something, I think I'll just go and enjoy LotL and see what it has to offer.

Sorry for the foolishness above. I'm getting antsy for freakin' football!

FAX
06-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Signs was a HUGE dissapointment to me.

In a way, I think it's strange that he has so many fans, Mr. BIG K. The Sixth Sense was a breakout movie that caught fire and made him very popular. He really hasn't been able to replicate that movie's quality, I don't think.

I liked Signs for the reasons above, but I like it for completely different reasons compared to The Sixth Sense. I also liked The Village, but have met few who agree with me on that.

Maybe he should stop trying to write his own movies and start looking for great scripts he can direct.

FAX

FAX
06-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Fax,

As far as Shamalayan goes, I'm a big fan. I did figure out the Sixth Sense in the first 10 minutes, but I really enjoyed the movie. Another movie that is similar in style and substance is "The Others". Alejandro Amenabar not only wrote the screenplay and directed the movie, he also scored it as well. It's a creepy thriller that fans of the Sixth Sense would probably enjoy. ...

Sorry for the foolishness above. I'm getting antsy for freakin' football!

No el problemo, Senior DaneMcCloudo. At least you didn't shout at me like Mr. frazod did.

I loved "The Others". That's another movie that I didn't "get" until the ending. The girl that played the mom was awesome in that flick. She was also in that movie about the caberet and the one where they planted the green flag at the end, I think.

FAX

DaneMcCloud
06-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Maybe he should stop trying to write his own movies and start looking for great scripts he can direct.

FAX

I sure wish he could have directed Star Wars Episodes 2 & 3. That would have been bad-ass.

Frazod
06-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Big thumbs up for The Others - that movie rocked. :thumb:

SNR
06-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Signs was a good movie but had one MAJOR flaw:

If the aliens couldn't stand water, then why didn't they shrivel up when they entered an atmosphere that was 1.5% water vapor?

JazzzLovr
06-22-2006, 10:29 PM

Good stuff.

:LOL: So did I!

Adept Havelock
06-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Really enjoyed Sixth Sense, as I didn't get it till the ring hit the floor.

Unbreakable and the Village were enjoyable to me as well.

Signs was a nice idea, but lacked something in the executuion. Besides, why would a group of aliens who had that reaction to water attack a planet that's surface is 2/3 water?

The "water as acid to an alien" schtick was done much better by Mandy Patinkin in "Alien Nation". Shame the rest of that movie wasn't as clever.

Valiant
06-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Liked 6th Sense, Loved Unbreakable, Signs was okay...

and I think I'm one of like 10 people who enjoyed the village (saw it twice in the theater--though the second viewing was a $2 second run theater, so that might not count--did see Unbreakable 3 times on its first run, though)...

I haven't read much about Lady In the Water, but I'll probably at least see it in the theater... doesn't sound like he's going for the "twist" so much in it as just a weird story...

What ruined the Village for me was a book I read back in HS, it was the exact same storyline except with some modifications..

wazu
06-22-2006, 11:29 PM
"Swing away" is one of the biggest one-liner misses in movie history. How lame.

Sixth sense was awesome though.

Rain Man
06-22-2006, 11:33 PM
I really like his movies even though I can't figure out his name. Also, I can't decide if I liked The Sixth Sense better than Signs. And, I know that he has a new one coming out (Lady In The Water) which I am looking forward to because it has that same girl that was in The Village who (I think) is related to the guy who played that kid in that old TV show about the small town.

I believe you're thinking of Arnold Ziffel from Green Acres.

ChiefFan31
06-22-2006, 11:37 PM
Big thumbs up for The Others - that movie rocked. :thumb:

True Dat

That movie got me good. It got slow at times, but I did not see that one coming. Same for Sixth Sense as far as not having any idea, till Boom it happens

Shows how quick I am, but oh well..

FAX
06-22-2006, 11:38 PM
"Swing away" is one of the biggest one-liner misses in movie history. How lame.

Sixth sense was awesome though.

Yeah, I know what you mean, Mr. Adam.

It would have been cooler if the brother had been a champion marbles player and the line could have been "Flick His Mibs".

FAX

Frazod
06-22-2006, 11:39 PM
True Dat

That movie got me good. It got slow at times, but I did not see that one coming. Same for Sixth Sense as far as not having any idea, till Boom it happens

Shows how quick I am, but oh well..

I find the more I get into a movie the less I think about what's happening. I just watch and enjoy. The less I like something, the easier it is to figure out what's really going on.

Reaper16
06-23-2006, 01:58 AM
I really like M. Night's movies. Even if I find myself predicting the plot like I was with The Village, I still enjoy everyone of them. (Except his first, which I haven't seen.) Unbreakable was my fav, because of the comic book fan in me.

Braincase
06-23-2006, 06:34 AM
Saw "Sixth Sense" and "Unbreakable" before others had a chance to tell me the story lines, and I really enjoyed both, but if I had to pick between the two, I'd have to go with the one that had Bruce Willis.

:p

Someone told about "The Village", so it did take something away the movie before I ever saw it, but it's OK, that person won't be bothering me again. Beautiful thing about Kansas is that it's an awfully big prairie out there.

"Lady in the Water" looks very interesting, and I like the casting of Paul Giamatti. Have enjoyed Giamatti since "Man in the Moon".

OldTownChief
06-23-2006, 06:48 AM
I watched it anyway and noticed the hints and always wondered if I woulda figured it out had I not known the 'twist'.

Wasn't hard to figure out. I can't remember if I got it during the restraunt scene of the guy coming to the door to hit on his wife.

Inspector
06-23-2006, 06:58 AM
Considering all the discussion in this thread, I'd have to say my favorite would be excellent character acting displayed as Arnold Ziffel in various episodes of that classic, Green Acres.

"I get allergic smelling hay", was also one of my favorite lines of all time.

Fire Me Boy!
06-23-2006, 07:32 AM
Sixth Sense/Unbreakable were good. The Village was decent. The signs is one of the few films that I hate more the more I think about it. Signs was complete garbage.

Moooo
06-23-2006, 07:36 AM
Sixth Sense/Unbreakable were good. The Village was decent. The signs is one of the few films that I hate more the more I think about it. Signs was complete garbage.

Signs seemed more about the guy finding himself than about the aliens, IMO. In that sense it succeeded. I didn't think it was bad, but then again, I wasn't expecting much cause I thought the sixth sense blew. When I found out the end of sixth sense, I was like, "That's it!?! I sat through this crappy movie for that!?!"

Moooo

Fire Me Boy!
06-23-2006, 08:16 AM
And Mr. FAX, for the record, it's Shyamalan and it's pronounced "Shyah--Muh--lawn". Now you can say it with me.

Shyah--muh--lawn.

Good. A little faster.

Shyah-muh-lawn.

A little faster.

Shyahmuhlawn.

And now full speed.

Shyamalan.

Good! :clap:

Gold star for you!

Fire Me Boy!
06-23-2006, 08:18 AM
And his real name is Bob Jones (actually it's Manoj Nelliyattu Shyamalan, but Bob Jones was funnier).

FAX
06-23-2006, 11:38 AM
And Mr. FAX, for the record, it's Shyamalan and it's pronounced "Shyah--Muh--lawn". Now you can say it with me.

Shyah--muh--lawn.

Good. A little faster.

Shyah-muh-lawn.

A little faster.

Shyahmuhlawn.

And now full speed.

Shyamalan.

Good! :clap:

Gold star for you!

Thank you, Mr. Roof Pig!. But, I prefer Shamalamabama Ding Dong Man.

FAX

HC_Chief
06-23-2006, 11:40 AM
I can't decide if I liked The Sixth Sense better than Signs.

You gotta be effing kidding me!?

Shyamalan is the epitome of the directorial "one hit wonder". The Sixth Sense was very good... the rest of his work = maggot-encrusted dog poo on a hot sidewalk.

Count Alex's Losses
06-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Shamalamadingdong.

FAX
06-23-2006, 11:46 AM
You gotta be effing kidding me!?

Shyamalan is the epitome of the directorial "one hit wonder". The Sixth Sense was very good... the rest of his work = maggot-encrusted dog poo on a hot sidewalk.

I know, I know. I've already taken a beating from Mr. frazod on this one, Mr. HC_Chief. For God's sake, have pity.

I liked Signs for different reasons. It was not the same type of movie that the Sixth Sense was, but it had redeeming qualities. His sparse script and direction were appealing to me as was his use of the camera to create suspense. Plus, Mel cried at the end. When Mel cries, I'm happy.

FAX

FAX
06-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Shamalamadingdong.

Yeah, I should have left off that last bama.

FAX

Rain Man
06-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Considering all the discussion in this thread, I'd have to say my favorite would be excellent character acting displayed as Arnold Ziffel in various episodes of that classic, Green Acres.

"I get allergic smelling hay", was also one of my favorite lines of all time.

Most people don't know this, but Arnold Ziffel turned down the role of the drug dealer in Pulp Fiction. He was shooting for the Travolta role, but then got shut out of the whole movie.

Sadly, I think that Green Acres typecast him and ruined his career. His only roles after Green Acres were small parts on The Waltons (in the role of Easter dinner), Three's Company (in the episode where Janet mistakenly thinks that Chrissy is planning to kill Arnold), and NYPD Blue (as a rogue cop).

chief2000
06-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Unbreakable was boring bs.

Signs was boring and worthless.

The Village was the greatest movie of all time ! NOT.

Why did you even post this thread ?

Thig Lyfe
06-23-2006, 02:51 PM
I would rank it

1. Sixth Sense
2. Signs
3. The Village

I liked all three

chief2000
06-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Village was silly. Totally implausible. He wrote that up in maybe one minute. I wonder if movies didn't mention the director at all if some of you would still like the film. This Indian dude made a good film called 'Sixth Sense'. That was about it. It's always enjoyable shooting down bootlicker fans/fanatics who don't think.

FAX
06-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Why did you even post this thread ?

Hmmm. After giving this terrifically insightful interrogatory serious and lengthy consideration, Mr. chief2000, I would have to say that I posted it for the reasons given in the thread starter.

But, now I'm curious. Why did you post on it?

FAX

HC_Chief
06-23-2006, 04:24 PM
I know, I know. I've already taken a beating from Mr. frazod on this one, Mr. HC_Chief. For God's sake, have pity.

heh, my wife likes those movies too. I'm just a movie snob... at least I can admit it! :D

OldTownChief
06-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Hmmm. After giving this terrifically insightful interrogatory serious and lengthy consideration, Mr. chief2000, I would have to say that I posted it for the reasons given in the thread starter.

But, now I'm curious. Why did you post on it?

FAX

ROFL

Rain Man
06-23-2006, 06:01 PM
A little more Arnold Ziffel trivia: he was considered for the role of Alex P. Keaton on Family Ties, but never got a chance to audition after Michael J. Fox wowed the casting team during his own audition.

Fire Me Boy!
06-23-2006, 07:06 PM
A little more Arnold Ziffel trivia: he was considered for the role of Alex P. Keaton on Family Ties, but never got a chance to audition after Michael J. Fox wowed the casting team during his own audition.
And to add to your trivia, tying it all together... the guy that played the drug dealer in Pulp Fiction (Eric Stolz) was originally up for the part of Marty McFly in Back to the Future -- which went to Michael J. Fox.

Rain Man
06-23-2006, 07:10 PM
And to add to your trivia, tying it all together... the guy that played the drug dealer in Pulp Fiction (Eric Stolz) was originally up for the part of Marty McFly in Back to the Future -- which went to Michael J. Fox.

Wow. It's like Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, but in this case, it's just Six Degrees of Bacon.

Tribal Warfare
06-23-2006, 07:15 PM
I think M.Night's hidden metaphor's in his movies are lame, and getting old.

Though, I thought Unbreakable was badass

FAX
06-23-2006, 08:31 PM

I'll never forget the night Arnold won his lifetime achievement award.

Sean Connery was the presenter and when he said, "That'll do", the crowd went wild. Many cried.

FAX

Jenson71
06-24-2006, 12:18 AM
I have not yet seen Signs, but as for his other three movies, I've seen all of the others, and have had the good fortune of seeing them in the theater, and I very much enjoyed all of them, Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and The Village. I look forward to seeing Lady in the Water.

Consider me a fan.

beer bacon
06-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Signs was a good movie but had one MAJOR flaw:

If the aliens couldn't stand water, then why didn't they shrivel up when they entered an atmosphere that was 1.5% water vapor?

The premise is a lot easier to swallow if you pretend the aliens were really demons, and the water was really holy water.

Guru
03-02-2007, 01:41 AM
All your rantings are legendary!
Fraz? Are you kidding me?

oaklandhater
03-02-2007, 01:44 AM
I look forward to seeing Lady in the Water.

Consider me a fan.

You poor fool.

Guru
03-02-2007, 01:48 AM
Lady in the Water is OK. It is no Sixth Sense though.