PDA

View Full Version : Local Corruption

Pitt Gorilla
06-23-2006, 01:05 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/14879192.htm

Legislators fined for campaign violations
TOPEKA — Two Johnson County legislators — one seeking a higher office and one not seeking re-election — were fined today for campaign finance violations.

Sen. Kay O’Connor, an Olathe Republican running for Secretary of State, was fined $5,000 for illegally soliciting campaign contributions from lobbyists, the second time within a year that she has faced such allegations.

O’Connor acknowledged she violated the law that prohibits candidates for statewide office from seeking contributions from lobbyists while the Legislature is in session. She signed a decree with the state Governmental Ethics Commission and agreed to pay the fine it imposed.

In August, the commission fined O’Connor $3,000 for violating the same law. In both cases, O’Connor said the violation was unintentional.

Commission members said this year’s case was less serious than last year’s because O’Connor realized she made a mistake and called lobbyists herself, telling them to ignore her solicitation letter. But they said it warranted a larger fine because it was a second violation.

Rep. Patricia Kilpatrick, an Overland Park Republican, was fined $4,000 for campaign finance violations.

Kilpatrick told the commission that the mistakes she made on her last report for her 2004 campaign were the result of personal problems. She described herself as a victim of domestic violence.

“This was a very trying time,” Kilpatrick said. “I operated in a fog for a long time.”

The report in question was filed in January 2005, covering the last week before the November 2004 general election through the end of the year. Among other things, the report showed no cash contributions when a review by the commission staff discovered Kilpatrick had collected nearly $5,100 in contributions.

Kilpatrick said because of her extenuating circumstances, the fine should be minimal. Commissioners voted 7-1 to impose a $4,000 fine, rather than the maximum fine of $45,000.

Kilpatrick, who said she wasn’t seeking a second term because she had a job promoting tougher penalties for sex offenders, is no longer involved with the Florida-based group, its president said this week.

jiveturkey
06-23-2006, 07:26 AM
I have reason to believe that O'Connor is mildly retarded.

SBK
06-23-2006, 10:03 AM
I would hardly call minor fines "corruption." Then again, these are 2 evil republicans, so I am sure that I will get flamed for saying that.

At least these 2 ladies didn't have $90,000 in the freezer.

jiveturkey
06-23-2006, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't consider it corruption either.

Mental retardation is still a fitting description though.

SBK
06-23-2006, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't consider it corruption either.

Mental retardation is still a fitting description though.

I ain't familiar wif deez hoes, so I'll take your word! ROFL