PDA

View Full Version : Roaf a "maybe" for this season?

Bob Dole
06-23-2006, 05:56 AM
KTBS television news in Shreveport, LA just aired an interview clip with Willie from yesterday.

"At this point I take it one year at a time. I got a little banged up last year, so right now I'm just seeing how I feel to make that decision. You know, 13 years and I'm 36 now, I want to make sure I'm going to be able to do it at the same level I've been doing it at before I commit to going back out there. This offseason has been a little different for me because my body hasn't really felt like it has felt the last couple of years."

Bob Dole
06-23-2006, 06:00 AM
More interview with Willie is supposed to air this evening at 6. Tivo is set.

Willie's LA Tech celebrity golf tourney is happening in Shreveport today.

rad
06-23-2006, 06:00 AM
****!!!!

Inspector
06-23-2006, 06:05 AM
WHA????

This brings back memories of this horrible nightmare I had last year....Jordan Black kept appearing....it was awful....I...just...can't...get..it...out.....

StcChief
06-23-2006, 06:08 AM
My Tackle concerns have returned....

If Willie is 80% he's still better than Black, Svitek

ChiefsfaninPA
06-23-2006, 06:19 AM
Oh f&$@. I don't want to read this stuff. Hopefully he will feel better in a month or so.

Moooo
06-23-2006, 06:20 AM
I honestly wouldn't worry about this that much. I've heard many say if a player is contemplating retiring they already have, but that's BS. I think its more like if they're contemplating it, they still want to but don't know if they can.

As long as he doesn't get hurt before the season or something, I'd see him coming back...

Moooo

tomahawk kid
06-23-2006, 06:20 AM
This cannot be happening.......

Mecca
06-23-2006, 06:22 AM
Wouldn't surprise me at all, he hasn't been here for any of the offseason stuff.

Bob Dole
06-23-2006, 06:23 AM
Sure as hell wasn't what Bob Dole was expecting to hear when he sat down with a cup of coffee and turned on the local news...

dirk digler
06-23-2006, 06:27 AM
If he retires we are really ****ed

KC Jones
06-23-2006, 06:29 AM
I guess we'll see what LJ can do without a great line in front of him (or a FB for that matter).

:(

Moooo
06-23-2006, 06:39 AM
I guess we'll see what LJ can do without a great line in front of him (or a FB for that matter).

:(

Expect less than you saw last year, IMO. Not that he's bad, but that the O-line is just that crucial.

Unless you're Barry f'n Sanders.

Moooo

MOhillbilly
06-23-2006, 06:44 AM
:rolleyes:Larry Johnson doesnt need blockers.

NaptownChief
06-23-2006, 06:47 AM
Makes passing on Eric Winston for a troubled safety in the 2nd round look even more foolish.

Chiefnj
06-23-2006, 06:50 AM
[ring ... ring]
John: "Hello."
Carl: "John it's Carl."
John: "Who??"
Carl: "Carl Peterson, GM of the Chiefs."
John: [Silence].
Carl: "Well, uh, remember when I told you a few weeks ago we didn't have any more money for you? Guess what? I've found an extra million cleaning up under Lamar's coach this morning. Wadduya say big guy, how about signing those papers and un-retiring?"

MOhillbilly
06-23-2006, 06:51 AM
yeah that was pretty ****ing stupid.
but hey herm knows d-backs and will make him into a premier DB.

right?

right?

John_Wayne
06-23-2006, 06:51 AM
He'll be back. He says this stuff every year. He's going to play at least one year and maybe two.

morphius
06-23-2006, 06:52 AM
If he is unable to play I may just get sick. Those games he couldn't play in last year were complete torture. We all saw what Roaf meant to our passing game.

rad
06-23-2006, 06:57 AM
He'll be back. He says this stuff every year. He's going to play at least one year and maybe two.

It could happen.

How old was Bruce Mathews when he finally retired?

FAX
06-23-2006, 06:58 AM
This is really, really bad news. I had no idea he was considering even the possibility of not returning.

You know, when asked about Roaf and Welbourn, Hermie said they both were excused from OTAs for "personal" reasons. Then, Welbourn retired. I guess that's personal alright. Now Roaf?

FAX

nychief
06-23-2006, 06:59 AM
Makes passing on Eric Winston for a troubled safety in the 2nd round look even more foolish.

troubled?

NJ Chief Fan
06-23-2006, 07:00 AM
NO

DaKCMan AP
06-23-2006, 07:00 AM
I will be very surprised if he doesn't play this season.

NaptownChief
06-23-2006, 07:08 AM
troubled?

He got suspended a time or two while at Purdue and had a well publicized bad relationship with the coaching staff. I don't think they ever released the reasons for the suspension(s) but he was widely thought of as a big pain in the ass. He is a very good athlete and is a big time hitter. I think he will be a very good NFL player but given his history and our needs spending a 2nd round pick on him doesn't seem like the wisest choice. But who knows, he might become the next Ronnie Lott and Eric Winston might be the next Trezelle Jenkins.

Kerberos
06-23-2006, 07:11 AM
It could happen.

How old was Bruce Mathews when he finally retired?

Wasn't Mathews almost 40? I know he retired at an older age then most lineman.

Old Fart still had some gas in the tank to play that long though.

Roaf was talking the same thing last year... I don't think he is going to miss the first year under Edwards and he will want to take advantage of the LJ statement that he wants to get his O-Line to the SB.

LJ might just do it and Roaf will want to be around to enjoy it! :thumb:

jspchief
06-23-2006, 07:14 AM
For al the people that brushed aside comments about concern of the age of our O-line... still think it's such a stupid notion?

JBucc
06-23-2006, 07:25 AM
"my body hasn't really felt like it has felt the last couple of years."Is that a good or a bad thing? Hasn't he had some nagging injuries the last couple of years, so that would mean now he doesn't?

DaKCMan AP
06-23-2006, 07:27 AM
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

NJ Chief Fan
06-23-2006, 07:30 AM
our o-line is falling apart and its not even time for training camp :shake: :deevee: :doh!: :sulk: :crybaby: :nosmilie:

sedated
06-23-2006, 07:34 AM
We don't even know exactly what context this was said.

He could be referring to 2007.

He's said several times that he's coming back in 2006, probably 07 as well.

That being said, no Willie = we're royally f*cked

DaKCMan AP
06-23-2006, 07:42 AM
All you chicken littles get so worked up over nothing.

This article is from last month...

Roaf confirms return

Lineman: ‘I just want to go out on a good note’

By ELIZABETH MERRILL

The Kansas City Star

The end of 2005 was so much fun for Willie Roaf that he caught himself laughing with his linemen buddies in the season finale against Cincinnati.
Roaf, 36 and coming off a hamstring injury, had spent much of the season pondering retirement. So had Will Shields.

“I talked to Will and some of the guys,” Roaf said. “Then we finished so strong at the end of the year. I just want to go out on a good note. Whatever that is, we’ve had our day in the sun.”

Roaf, who was at Arrowhead Stadium for a workout Tuesday, officially announced that he’ll be back in 2006. It gives the Chiefs their two 11-time Pro Bowl linemen — Shields signed a contract extension earlier this spring — and assures Kansas City that the line that blasted holes for the NFL’s No. 1 offense will stay intact.

Roaf’s status was iffy in September, when he popped his hamstring in the season opener against the Jets. He missed six games, and the Chiefs’ offense sputtered without its veteran left tackle. Roaf returned for the New England game and helped Kansas City click off wins over the Patriots and the Broncos.

In late December, Roaf’s mom said she didn’t think her son “was finished with it.”

Roaf confirmed that Tuesday, saying he’s looking forward to playing for new coach Herm Edwards and helping Larry Johnson pursue a 2,000-yard season. Roaf is also happy to see Shields again.
“It made sense to come back,” Roaf said.

Chiefnj
06-23-2006, 07:48 AM

Since that article was written Roaf worked out about one day, tweaked his previously non-injured hammy, and then took off the remainder of the OTA's for "personal" reasons. It could very well be that he is having second thoughts.

StcChief
06-23-2006, 07:49 AM
Roaf is keeping everybody honest...He wants to play but
at 36 does his body say yes....

I think/hope but he is one funny landing/leg hit away from it not being on the field like most players.

We need another vet DT. Trying to get Welboune back would be first, if his heart is going to law school
forget it.

the may need a big trade to get someone.

KCTitus
06-23-2006, 07:50 AM
troubled?

LOL...yeah, just know that Nap, here, is one of the biggest contributors to The Lexicon. Sheer genious (chiefsplanet spelling)

DaKCMan AP
06-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Since that article was written Roaf worked out about one day, tweaked his previously non-injured hammy, and then took off the remainder of the OTA's for "personal" reasons. It could very well be that he is having second thoughts.

It's all speculation. I don't see the point in freaking out about it until there's something to freak out about.

As I stated earlier, I will be VERY suprised if he does not play. He has said repeatedly that he'd like to play 2 more seasons.

NJ Chief Fan
06-23-2006, 07:57 AM
orlando pace for casey printers?

alpha_omega
06-23-2006, 07:59 AM
Wow! Not even sure what else to say.

htismaqe
06-23-2006, 08:02 AM
He got suspended a time or two while at Purdue and had a well publicized bad relationship with the coaching staff. I don't think they ever released the reasons for the suspension(s) but he was widely thought of as a big pain in the ass. He is a very good athlete and is a big time hitter. I think he will be a very good NFL player but given his history and our needs spending a 2nd round pick on him doesn't seem like the wisest choice. But who knows, he might become the next Ronnie Lott and Eric Winston might be the next Trezelle Jenkins.

Meh, he had a bad relationship with JOE TILLER. Tiller's quite possibly the biggest ass in the Big 10.

StcChief
06-23-2006, 08:04 AM
Sounds great on paper. Pay-me Pace. Is he related to Tait?

Holds up the Lambs for money all the time....

Can't believe the Rams would do it.

htismaqe
06-23-2006, 08:04 AM

Yeah, let's give up our superstar to get raped by the Rams. It's gonna take more than Pace to get value out of Jesus Printers.

InChiefsHell
06-23-2006, 08:06 AM
Roaf is keeping everybody honest...He wants to play but
at 36 does his body say yes....

I think/hope but he is one funny landing/leg hit away from it not being on the field like most players.

We need another vet DT. Trying to get Welboune back would be first, if his heart is going to law school
forget it.

the may need a big trade to get someone.
Hmmmm....didn't know Roaf and Welborn played defense...

NaptownChief
06-23-2006, 08:06 AM
LOL...yeah, just know that Nap, here, is one of the biggest contributors to The Lexicon. Sheer genious (chiefsplanet spelling)

LOL, yeah, just know that Titus, here, is one of the biggest non-contributors to football conversation on the board.

NaptownChief
06-23-2006, 08:07 AM
Meh, he had a bad relationship with JOE TILLER. Tiller's quite possibly the biggest ass in the Big 10.

Being an IU you aren't going to have to work hard to sell me on that.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-23-2006, 08:09 AM

I guess you also didn't hear the news that Jared Allen plays QB have ya.

htismaqe
06-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Being an IU you aren't going to have to work hard to sell me on that.

I can't imagine what it's like for you as a Hoosier.

I'm a Hawkeye and I can't even stand seeing his smarmy mug on TV.

Bob Dole
06-23-2006, 08:16 AM
We don't even know exactly what context this was said.

We don't?

StcChief
06-23-2006, 08:18 AM
Welcome to the thread.....

This is about Roaf last time I checked he's our starting O LT
Welbourne was our starting O RT.... :rolleyes: :)

The D line is another issue...

Kerberos
06-23-2006, 08:18 AM
We don't?

He was refering to himself and the mouse that is residing in his pocket.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-23-2006, 08:19 AM
No matter the context of the comments, they don't sound too good. I see no reason he wouldn't be talking about this season.

NaptownChief
06-23-2006, 08:20 AM
I can't imagine what it's like for you as a Hoosier.

I'm a Hawkeye and I can't even stand seeing his smarmy mug on TV.

He showed his true colors this year when a recruit from Indy switched from a verbal to Purdue and decided to sign with IU. Tiller tried to bad mouth the kid in the press and even went on to say he is the type of kid we don't want etc, etc...The kid's father then went public to let everyone know that at the same time Tiller was running his yap about not being the type of kid they want that they were still calling and trying to get him to change his mind. He definitely appears to be a POS. So if Pollard's only issues were with Tiller it might just mean that he is a good judge of character.

Moooo
06-23-2006, 08:25 AM
He showed his true colors this year when a recruit from Indy switched from a verbal to Purdue and decided to sign with IU. Tiller tried to bad mouth the kid in the press and even went on to say he is the type of kid we don't want etc, etc...The kid's father then went public to let everyone know that at the same time Tiller was running his yap about not being the type of kid they want that they were still calling and trying to get him to change his mind. He definitely appears to be a POS. So if Pollard's only issues were with Tiller it might just mean that he is a good judge of character.

The point still stands that he's a gamble, just because of what you said.

I think he'll pan out, personally. I like defensemen who aren't the best of people. You have to be on the field, their only problem is they can't shut it off...

Moooo

Phobia
06-23-2006, 08:25 AM

Rumor on the street is that he pulled a hammy.

NaptownChief
06-23-2006, 08:32 AM
The point still stands that he's a gamble, just because of what you said.

I think he'll pan out, personally. I like defensemen who aren't the best of people. You have to be on the field, their only problem is they can't shut it off...

Moooo

I definitely think Pollard has 2nd round talent which that is a big plus considering Peterson has a history of drafting 5th round talent in the 2nd...See Junior Siavii. Also a little surprised we went safety at that point especially when you saw guys like Ko Simpson falling. My guess is Pollard would have been there in the 3rd but the lack of a 4th rounder probably caused them to make adjustments they may otherwise not have made. I just hope Herm makes that 4th rounder he cost look like a gigantic bargain when all said and done.

DaKCMan AP
06-23-2006, 08:34 AM
Rumor on the street is that he pulled a hammy.

And we're in June -- he's going to retire because of a hammy?

NaptownChief
06-23-2006, 08:35 AM
And we're in June -- he's going to retire because of a hammy?

Word on the street is he actually tugged his groin and decided he liked sitting around doing that a lot more than playing football.

Phobia
06-23-2006, 08:39 AM
And we're in June -- he's going to retire because of a hammy?He fought it all last season.

HemiEd
06-23-2006, 08:48 AM
No matter the context of the comments, they don't sound too good. I see no reason he wouldn't be talking about this season.

My first thought when I read the thread header is that he is not looking forward to training camp and the fast pace Edwards keeps talking about. My gut feeling is that he will be fine when it counts. Just my opinion, but I do not think Will and Willie need or want to much training camp.

htismaqe
06-23-2006, 08:54 AM
Word on the street is he actually tugged his groin and decided he liked sitting around doing that a lot more than playing football.

Yep. EXACTLY.

htismaqe
06-23-2006, 08:55 AM
My first thought when I read the thread header is that he is not looking forward to training camp and the fast pace Edwards keeps talking about. My gut feeling is that he will be fine when it counts. Just my opinion, but I do not think Will and Willie need or want to much training camp.

Yep.

Rausch
06-23-2006, 09:00 AM
This time a month ago he was definitely coming back and wanted to play for a few more years...

MOhillbilly
06-23-2006, 09:10 AM
This time a month ago he was definitely coming back and wanted to play for a few more years...

i think when you get on in years as a pro, your body tries to override your mind from day to day.

Douche Baggins
06-23-2006, 09:15 AM
http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/8536/chickenkc9rk.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

sedated
06-23-2006, 09:16 AM
with our luck, we'll sign Law and Priest will come back...but Willie will retire, then Shields too, and we'll go 9-7 and miss the playoffs again

KCTitus
06-23-2006, 09:17 AM
with any luck, we'll sign Law and Priest will come back...but Willie will retire, then Shields too, and we'll go 9-7 and miss the playoffs again

fixed your post.

FringeNC
06-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Sounds like Roaf is playing the hold-out game, too. Weren't him and Welbourn both not there for "personal reasons"?

Roaf probably wants more coin. We almost have to give it to him.

Phobia
06-23-2006, 09:25 AM
Not a chance. Roaf is making $4,000,000

htismaqe
06-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Roaf holding out? Not a chance.

Even if he DID want to practice, the coaches would take it easy on him.

I can't say I'm at all shocked or surprised that he's saying these things. TC is a month away now, and TC is the worst time of year for guys this age.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-23-2006, 10:06 AM
He'll play this season. But if he doesn't, the season is pretty much over.

sedated
06-23-2006, 10:11 AM
fixed your post.

your optimist overwhelms me

Bob Dole
06-23-2006, 09:07 PM

It's just a FWIW. Bob Dole watched the words come directly out of Willie Roaf's mouth (as he sat sweating under a canopy in downtown Shreveport) and rewound the thing repeatedly to transcribe exactly what he said.

Still haven't had a chance to watch the video from the 6pm news.

listopencil
06-23-2006, 09:13 PM
If he doesn't come back you guys are screwed.

Otter
06-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Of all the people I want to hear that from I think Roaf has got to be last on the list. He's been a hell of a Chief though.

Salute' either way.

Love to see u back Willie.

Moooo
06-23-2006, 09:16 PM
If he doesn't come back you guys are screwed.

Nah, we'll just make Turley gain about 50 pounds... in 5 weeks.

EAT SKINNY BOY, EAT!

Moooo

tk13
06-23-2006, 09:21 PM
If he decides not to play now, it obviously wouldn't be good. But we'd be able to give whoever replaces him all the reps in practice, preseason, etc. so we can hit the ground running at the start of the season. As opposed to throwing a guy in there cold at midseason and fumbling through that.

This is also why I don't want to cut Damon Huard, or at least have a veteran in there. If Roaf gets hurt and Green goes down becuase of it, I don't want Croyle in there getting killed yet again if our protection is horrible.

Bob Dole
06-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Lame clip at 6pm asking him about how he felt his chances were to make the Hall of Fame.

Basically said that what happens will happen, and it would have been nice to have had more playoff appearances.

Then the sports dork came back on and mentioned that if he wasn't such a dumbass, he would have asked Willie if he'd go in as a Saint or a Chief...then added that he was pretty sure it would be as a Saint.

Hydrae
06-23-2006, 09:41 PM
If he decides not to play now, it obviously wouldn't be good. But we'd be able to give whoever replaces him all the reps in practice, preseason, etc. so we can hit the ground running at the start of the season. As opposed to throwing a guy in there cold at midseason and fumbling through that.

This is also why I don't want to cut Damon Huard, or at least have a veteran in there. If Roaf gets hurt and Green goes down becuase of it, I don't want Croyle in there getting killed yet again if our protection is horrible.

That's why you keep Printers, he can Vick away from the rush! :)

tk13
06-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Lame clip at 6pm asking him about how he felt his chances were to make the Hall of Fame.

Basically said that what happens will happen, and it would have been nice to have had more playoff appearances.

Then the sports dork came back on and mentioned that if he wasn't such a dumbass, he would have asked Willie if he'd go in as a Saint or a Chief...then added that he was pretty sure it would be as a Saint.
Actually, the sports dork should know that you just go into the Hall as a player, you don't go in as a representative of one team.

Moooo
06-23-2006, 09:56 PM
Actually, the sports dork should know that you just go into the Hall as a player, you don't go in as a representative of one team.

What was all that ruckous about Allen splitting his jersey then? I think he meant what jersey he was gonna have at his, "spot" in the HOF.

Moooo

KCChiefsFan88
06-24-2006, 12:46 AM

Yep or trying to sign a veteran left tackle to at least provide a better insurance policy than Jordan Black.

Of course the Carl/Herm ass-kissers will have you believe all is well.

Cartman
06-24-2006, 01:07 AM
Willie may sit out? That sucks an egg.

Rausch
06-24-2006, 01:12 AM
Meat Roaf will be back.

When I think of lazy screws who milk the franchise for $$$ or pick a suitable retirement date to cash in I don't think of Roaf.

He has ALWAYS been about the game. If he can, he will...

CoMoChief
06-24-2006, 06:43 AM
It was to my understanding that Roaf was on record saying that he's felt better this offseason than the past couple of offseasons and now this? Surely I think he's coming back and Herm said it was personal issues the reason why Roaf wasnt at mini camp(s). $4M is hard to just walk away from IMO. He'll be back this season. I totally believe that if Shields is gonna play he will play as well.

tommykat
06-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Any update? I would like to see Roaf go out as a Chief "if" he fells like it is time.....Could be like watching Gurnney go out a few years ago. (I hope at again,if he doesn't play) going out a Chief!

ExtremeChief
06-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Any update? I would like to see Roaf go out as a Chief "if" he fells like it is time.....Could be like watching Gurnney go out a few years ago. (I hope at again,if he doesn't play) going out a Chief!

Someone grab a gurney, this post is obviously damaged.

tommykat
06-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Someone grab a gurney, this post is obviously damaged.

ROFL OK, where is the gurney? :hmmm: Na never mind don't want to know...:D
touche'

Bob Dole
07-28-2006, 05:51 PM
Seems like a lot of people might owe Bob "Chicken Little" Dole an apology.

ExtremeChief
07-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Seems like a lot of people might owe Bob "Chicken Little" Dole an apology.

Dante Hall sucks.

R&GHomer
07-28-2006, 05:58 PM
KTBS television news in Shreveport, LA just aired an interview clip with Willie from yesterday.

"At this point I take it one year at a time. I got a little banged up last year, so right now I'm just seeing how I feel to make that decision. You know, 13 years and I'm 36 now, I want to make sure I'm going to be able to do it at the same level I've been doing it at before I commit to going back out there. This offseason has been a little different for me because my body hasn't really felt like it has felt the last couple of years."

I didn't call you "chicken little" but... damn.

YOU CURSED THE WHOLE ****ING THING. :p

Calcountry
07-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Oh f&$@. I don't want to read this stuff. Hopefully he will feel better in a month or so.Its nothing a little HGH wouldn't fix, just ask Barry.

Calcountry
07-28-2006, 06:03 PM
As long as he doesn't get hurt before the season or something, I'd see him coming back...

MooooWillie, puhlease, wear a helmet.