PDA

View Full Version : Police, Privacy, and Library records...

KC Jones
06-23-2006, 06:59 AM
Thought this one might be an interesting one to kick around:

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2MDYmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY5NTE1NjImeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeXkz

HASBROUCK HEIGHTS -- Library Director Michele Reutty is under fire for refusing to give police library circulation records without a subpoena.

Reutty says she was only doing her job and maintaining the privacy of library patrons. But the mayor called it "a blatant disregard for the Police Department," which needed her help to identify a man who allegedly threatened a child.

KC Jones
06-23-2006, 07:04 AM
I really don't see the big deal here. She required a subpoena before opening the records to police. :shrug:

Moooo
06-23-2006, 07:45 AM
Just utilizing her rights, and ours for that matter. You know a lot of times, things that seem wrong are still right cause they help insure the outer limits of our rights.

People also forget that even if a cop sees a guy shoot another guy, he didn't do it until the jury says so. Given this, this innocent man, no matter how guilty he may eventually be, still has all the rights everyone else does... the fact it was for a threatened child should be irrelevant for the law.

Moooo

KC Jones
06-23-2006, 08:11 AM
Just utilizing her rights, and ours for that matter. You know a lot of times, things that seem wrong are still right cause they help insure the outer limits of our rights.

People also forget that even if a cop sees a guy shoot another guy, he didn't do it until the jury says so. Given this, this innocent man, no matter how guilty he may eventually be, still has all the rights everyone else does... the fact it was for a threatened child should be irrelevant for the law.

Moooo

If I had been there I'd probably have beaten the crap out of the guy, but all the sicko did was say something to the kid. It's not like there was this pressing emergency to get the records right away and by pass the need for a subpoena.

Moooo
06-23-2006, 08:19 AM
If I had been there I'd probably have beaten the crap out of the guy, but all the sicko did was say something to the kid. It's not like there was this pressing emergency to get the records right away and by pass the need for a subpoena.

Even so, that guy has the right to due process of the law, even when you don't want him to. He could have shot someone and you'd still have to do the same thing, its just the way it is.

Moooo