PDA

View Full Version : Is Kansas City a hockey town?

KChiefs1
06-23-2006, 08:38 AM
http://www.sprintcenter.com/

NHL is winning in this poll over the NBA which kinda shocks me. Is KC a hockey town?:hmmm:

DaKCMan AP
06-23-2006, 08:47 AM
I might be mistaken, but I think it's a football town. ;)

Jilly
06-23-2006, 09:11 AM
yes, bring it on! I think once people have their own team and go to games in person (because it's so much better that way)...we will find out that we are a hockey town.

DaKCMan AP
06-23-2006, 09:13 AM
yes, bring it on! I think once people have their own team and go to games in person (because it's so much better that way)...we will find out that we are a hockey town.

Only if you get some thugs. I only go to hockey games for the rights. Since I like to win as well, a perfect team has thugs who can beat the crap out of everyone else and a great goalie.

My favorite player on the Panthers for a long time was Peter Worrell (would always lead the league in penalty minutes). I was disappointed when they got rid of him. I've been to one game since then, and although it was a high-scoring win, there was not a single fight. :cuss:

StcChief
06-23-2006, 09:15 AM
For the sake of the new Sprint Center you'd better be
become a winter sport town Hockey or a Basketball town.

morphius
06-23-2006, 09:17 AM
I would not say we are a hockey town, but I think we have become a college bball town and really are not as interested at adding another level of basketball to the city. Especially a game that hardley looks like the game they enjoy. The NHL is different, so people are giving it a better shot at succeeding here. Sure you can talk about the blades not doing great here, but you have to look at the fact that we have pro sports in this town, and a minor league team is less then interesting.

Jilly
06-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Only if you get some thugs. I only go to hockey games for the rights. Since I like to win as well, a perfect team has thugs who can beat the crap out of everyone else and a great goalie.

My favorite player on the Panthers for a long time was Peter Worrell (would always lead the league in penalty minutes). I was disappointed when they got rid of him. I've been to one game since then, and although it was a high-scoring win, there was not a single fight. :cuss:

I think some great rookies would be awesome. If we get the penguins and with them, Crosby.... we'd be looking at a historic team with some great potential. I will jump all over that, personally.

Moooo
06-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Kansas City Blues... maybe... I heard they approved the sale of it. Is that a sign, or are they even allowed to move?

KC Penguins... nicer...

KC Coyotes... sure, why not...

Moooo

Jilly
06-23-2006, 10:04 AM
Kansas City Blues... maybe... I heard they approved the sale of it. Is that a sign, or are they even allowed to move?

KC Penguins... nicer...

Moooo

last I heard the Blues were out of the question.... ?

Moooo
06-23-2006, 10:07 AM
last I heard the Blues were out of the question.... ?

Could be, I live in Springfield, and lets just say they don't talk about anything but the Cardinals down here. Sometimes they'll bring up the Rams or the Chiefs, but usually they don't care about them either.

Whatever team we get, we should change the name to the KC Barbecued (enter name here). KC Barbecued Penguins, KC Barbecued Coyotes... LOL

Moooo

Cochise
06-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Hopefully we get the NHL.

I'm not interested in seeing the NCAA's retarded little brother.

Moooo
06-23-2006, 10:08 AM
Hopefully we get the NHL.

I'm not interested in seeing the NCAA's retarded little brother.

Are the Roos gonna get to play in this new fancy arena whenever it opens?

Moooo

Predarat
06-23-2006, 10:39 AM
I'd love to see KC get an NHL team. Do the Roos still play in the Muni or did they move to Kemper?

Cochise
06-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Are the Roos gonna get to play in this new fancy arena whenever it opens?

Moooo

I think they could play in a broom closet and still have plenty of room.

petegz28
06-23-2006, 10:52 AM
I was told once KC has the highest TV audience of hockey in towns without an NHL team.

Sully
06-23-2006, 11:02 AM
The Roos play in the Muni most of the season, but when Wal Mart comes to town they move to either Kemper or Hale.

Sully
06-23-2006, 11:27 AM
Is KC a hockey town?

Right now, I'd say no. The Blades had a pretty good following, but the ratings for hockey are low, and there are few hockey fans.

However, I think that hockey woul dbe much more succesful in KC than the NBA. Once a major league team came in, and people got hooked... they woul dbe hooked. I don't think that would happen with the NBA, as there are many options to turn to if the NBA team tanks (and it will).

Fish
06-23-2006, 11:44 AM
I would be off the hook if KC got a hockey team.... not that it would mean a team would prosper in KC.... but I'd be one happy sumbitch.....

DanT
06-23-2006, 11:49 AM
I liked going to the Kansas City Blues games when I was a kid. They were the farm team for St. Louis that set-up shop in KC after the Kansas City Scouts (now the New Jersey Devils) moved to Denver.

The Scouts weren't a good team, but it was fun to go to their games. Didn't they beat Montreal once at home, back when the Canadiens were a dynasty?

DanT
06-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Here's a webpage on the Kansas City Scouts:

http://home.att.net/~kchockey/scouts.htm

CoMoChief
06-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Hockey games are really fun to go to, boring as shit to watch on TV. The Penguins in KC could change that though. I think this city would embrace them. Sydney Crosby would be a fuggin star here.

tyton75
06-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Hockey over NBA.... simply based on the fact that Hockey is fair for smaller markets to be competetive.. unlike the NBA

MarchingCobras
06-23-2006, 04:43 PM
In Kansas City, I don't think Hockey is mainstream. We are more supportive of football than anything else, mainly because it is the NFL...

chiefs4me
06-23-2006, 04:49 PM

KC Penguins... nicer...

Moooo

the old team had a great name...the KC Scouts...people really need to just give hockey a chance and learn the rules, It is NON STOP ACTION the whole game......

chiefs4me
06-23-2006, 04:52 PM
I liked going to the Kansas City Blues games when I was a kid. They were the farm team for St. Louis that set-up shop in KC after the Kansas City Scouts (now the New Jersey Devils) moved to Denver.

The Scouts weren't a good team, but it was fun to go to their games. Didn't they beat Montreal once at home, back when the Canadiens were a dynasty?

did you know that those scouts moved to Colorado and became the Rockies for 5-6 years before finally moving to NJ?????

suds79
06-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Is KC a hockey town? I don't know. I doubt it. Game 7 of the of the Stanley Cup Finals didn't do that great.

I just don't know if hockey will ever be bigtime in this country.

Everybody says hockey is great to see in person. And it's true. But what does that mean? The only people who will really enjoy it are going to be the ones in the arena while people at home flip the channel?

As you can tell I'm an NBA fan and now is a great time to be excited about the league with so many upcoming stars. Just my opinion.

Hey what if we got a hockey team & and an NBA team and lost the Royals? :p

I wouldn't shed a tear over it. Would you?

DanT
06-23-2006, 05:45 PM
did you know that those scouts moved to Colorado and became the Rockies for 5-6 years before finally moving to NJ?????

I don't know how long they were in Denver, but I knew that the Devils franchise started in KC as the Scouts and then became the Colorado Rockies.

SNR
06-23-2006, 06:07 PM
So how would that work when hockey season intersects football season and the KC team is scheduled to play a home game the same time the Chiefs are. One team is going to lose some attendence, and it sure as hell won't be the Chiefs, I can tell you that.

KChiefs1
06-23-2006, 06:24 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06174/700605-61.stm

Fingold is unsure about the prospects for a new arena. He said he would keep the team in town with a new facility, but otherwise probably would move it to Kansas City, which has a new arena and needs an anchor tenant.

KChiefs1
06-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Kansas City Pens weighing possible move in draft

By ALAN ROBINSON

http://ads5.canoe.ca/event.ng/Type=count&ClientType=2&AdID=55953&FlightID=30677&TargetID=4884&Segments=2371,4176,4833,4953,5075,5081,5132,5181,5189,6137,7437,9318,10504&Targets=439,2217,2181,3571,2210,2408,6569,4862,4884&Values=20,31,43,51,60,72,85,92,100,110,150,152,206,213,255,256,332,334,342,343,344,345,355,379,380,3 93,490,493,769,778,1281,1315,1444,1467,1545,1570,1620,1946,2292,2307,2326,2402,2408,2553,2670,2686,2 698,2700,2702,2703,2789,3067,3081,3121,3452,3562,3621,3719,3733,3797,3832,3993&RawValues=USERID%2C7f000001-1255-1151104695-1&random=hrpxqn,bcjyKkwbvtlkss
PITTSBURGH (AP) - The Kansas City Penguins owned the No. 1 pick twice in the last three NHL drafts. General manager Ray Shero isn't opposed to making it three times in four years.

Shero is weighing whether to deal the initial draft pick he would make as the Penguins' general manager - either by trading with St. Louis for the No. 1 pick or dealing down to add a more experienced player who could contribute immediately.

Unless they make a trade, the Penguins will pick second in the June 24 draft - the fourth year in a row they have had either the No. 1 or 2 pick.

"Yeah, I'd have some interest, sure," Shero said Thursday of a possible trade. "We know who we have rated second, I just want to be sure that when these things start coming at us, we're in a position to react. That we've already thought of those scenarios and know what we want to do. We want to be as prepared as possible and ready to go."

Shero held a conference call Thursday with his scouting staff to discuss the various possibilities.

In recent years, the Penguins would have been reluctant to trade so high a draft pick. But with no clearly established No. 1 player - the top five players have similar ratings - they might be able to trade down a few spots, add a veteran and still get a quality first-round pick.

The top five North American players in the NHL scouting service rankings are U.S. defenseman Erik Johnson, centre Jordan Staal, forward Jonathan Toews of the University of North Dakota, centre Derick Brassard and University of Minnesota centre Phil Kessel. Staal is the younger brother of Carolina Hurricanes star Eric Staal.

"Overall, the depth in the draft probably isn't as strong as years in the past, but I think it's fine at the top," Penguins chief scout Greg Malone said.

Shero is convinced the Penguins will be much stronger if they can secure their No. 2 pick of two years ago, Russian forward Evgeni Malkin.
After months of stalled talks, the NHL and Russia's hockey federation are close to a deal that would allow NHL clubs to purchase the rights to Russian players. Last year, the Russian federation refused to honour the transfer agreement reached between the NHL and the other European hockey-playing nations.

The 19-year-old Malkin starred in the Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy, and is widely considered the best player in hockey not in the NHL.
"I think we'll hear something in the next few days," Shero said. "Certainly, we have a big dog in this fight, so I hope it works out."

In other Penguins news:

-Hall of Fame forward Joey Mullen will not return as the coach of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. Mullen went 30-17-3-5 as an interim coach after replacing Michel Therrien, who took over as Pittsburgh's coach in December. Wilkes-Barre started 21-1-2-1 under Therrien but, with Mullen behind the bench, was eliminated by Hershey in the second round of the AHL playoffs.

-Defenseman Micki DuPont, a Penguins farmhand in 2002-03, has re-signed following three seasons in Germany. The five-foot-10 DuPont took a pay cut to sign a two-way contract, meaning he will make less money in the minors than he would in the NHL.
"He's not a big guy, but he certainly has the skill and it's a good opportunity for him. It's liked we talked about, having depth and competition," Shero said.

-Because Penguins star Sidney Crosby played either against or with many of the top prospects until a year ago, Malone asked his opinion about some players. However, Shero doesn't plan to call Crosby to seek his advice on who to draft. "He's a player and not a scout," Shero said.

tk13
06-23-2006, 06:36 PM
So how would that work when hockey season intersects football season and the KC team is scheduled to play a home game the same time the Chiefs are. One team is going to lose some attendence, and it sure as hell won't be the Chiefs, I can tell you that.
Saturday night is usually hockey night. I doubt there'd be many conflicts.

chiefs4me
06-23-2006, 08:17 PM

hockey is rarely played on Sun afternoons, (and when it is, football season is over) your favorite team, like other teams, might have 4 games a week..lot of weeknight games........its awesome, always a game to watch.... so someone is always dropping the gloves..PBJ

KChiefs1
06-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Wall Street Journal - If you build it will they come?

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB115085572614085971-aMbn47JcKQe4z7pqSL487ISusWM_20060720.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top

Moooo
06-23-2006, 10:52 PM
Saturday night is usually hockey night. I doubt there'd be many conflicts.

I doubt the NHL is stupid enough to schedule opposite the NFL. There's no need for it, and they know they'll get owned.

Moooo